Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

Didn't post this earlier because the original source was Manish.  Tweeted Lopresti about it who said he can't speak for Manish, but he was told the same thing.

No word on asking price.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowles can't stop the booing, Macc daddy didn't draft him, these guys know Geno is a negative strain on the franchise they don't need. Geno needed to come out SMOKING in preseason to excite Jet fans & get them off his back, but he looked like the old Geno & he plays to NOT MAKE MISTAKES now.

If any player in this league needs a new venue to start over its Geno. And maybe Kap would be accepted by Canada.

I don't think Geno is nearly as bad as most of you make him out to be.  In fact I think he could be a quality NFL QB...but he's done as a Jet.  His confidence is shot...you can see it in his play right now.  A change of scenery will likely do him a world of good.

The NY Jets and their fans didn't do him any favors.  I hope he gets traded or cut and has a chance to start over somewhere else.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I don't think Geno is nearly as bad as most of you make him out to be.  In fact I think he could be a quality NFL QB...but he's done as a Jet.  His confidence is shot...you can see it in his play right now.  A change of scenery will likely do him a world of good.

The NY Jets and their fans didn't do him any favors.  I hope he gets traded or cut and has a chance to start over somewhere else.

It's pretty much gotten to that point.  The lunatic fringe will get their pound of flesh if it kills them.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

So teams have been calling the Jets about Genos availability and they've answered the phone.  Cool.

Trade possibilities regarding Geno were all hypothetical situations presented by fans previously.  Now we have an actual rumor from the media that teams are looking to acquire him, or at least seeing what it would cost to get him as part of their due dilligence.  That's not really a small thing, considering that even getting a 7th rounder back for Geno would kill 2 birds with one stone; it would allow us to only carry three QB's this year AND get a pick for Geno in 2017 (rather than waiting to maybe get a compensatory pick for him in 2018). 

Also, clearly if we're fielding calls of this nature it means we're not saying Geno is untouchable by any stretch.  We could easily tell teams we're not looking to trade him, and that would have been reported as well.  But that's not the case here, at least not yet.

The fact that we're fielding offers is important in another light as well:  It could show what we think of Petty.  If we're willing to trade away Geno it would mean we're willing to elevate Petty to # 2 duties. 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so all we know is they're fielding offers - not necessarily making the offers?

Correct.  Some may be surprised to learn there is interest in him from somewhere so figured I'd post it.

It doesn't mean the Jets aren't initiating contact, just that if they are, that hasn't been reported.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

What's the highest we are thinking for Geno - a 5th?

Based on us getting Brandon Marshall for a 5th, I'd say its a bit high,lol, but I'll take it! I wonder if the Cowboys are calling? He fits all the criteria when teams have an injury problem @ QB, He's cheap, he has experience, he definitely needs a new start, he'd be playing behind a better Online that can give him the extra 10 seconds he needs to make a decision,lol.

Just now, AFJF said:

Correct.  Some may be surprised to learn there is interest in him from somewhere so figured I'd post it.

It doesn't mean the Jets aren't initiating contact, just that if they are, that hasn't been reported.

when all is said and done it could have been all along that they positioned geno as the clear #2, and played him in preseason, with the intent of trading him.  but when he started sucking vs the redskins and didn't do anything vs the giants it made sense to pull him before he damaged his value further.

Pretty sure this has to be a hoax.  Who would call the Jets about the worst QB ever to lace them up?  I keep hearing he's the worst QB and quite possibly the stupidest human being in the history of mankind.  Who needs that on their team..  nope.  Don't believe it.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

A fair deal would be a conditional 6th rounder that could drop to a 7th or even nothing depending on certain criteria.  That would be an appealing type of trade for both sides.

i think would have to be a conditional, the guy's in the last year of his contract and may not play a down this year.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Pretty sure this has to be a hoax.  Who would call the Jets about the worst QB ever to lace them up?  I keep hearing he's the worst QB and quite possibly the stupidest human being in the history of mankind.  Who needs that on their team..  nope.  Don't believe it.

No one out there ever said he has zero value.  But if this is the hill you wish to die on, I won't stop you from bragging about a big-armed QB who was a 2nd round pick, and still on a cheap rookie deal, yet whose going rate is now likely a 6th or 7th rounder. 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Based on us getting Brandon Marshall for a 5th, I'd say its a bit high,lol, but I'll take it! I wonder if the Cowboys are calling? He fits all the criteria when teams have an injury problem @ QB, He's cheap, he has experience, he definitely needs a new start, he'd be playing behind a better Online that can give him the extra 10 seconds he needs to make a decision,lol.

He's younger, cheaper, and a QB.

Could be a 5 or 6.   Cowboys need another QB, they have no one after Dak.

Just now, chirorob said:

He's younger, cheaper, and a QB.

Could be a 5 or 6.   Cowboys need another QB, they have no one after Dak.

True, but it's not like Geno would be their only option.  They can very easily scoop Sanchez up as soon as tomorrow, or someone else off the scrap heap once final cutdowns occur.  The only urgency would be getting a guy in there now to learn the playbook as quickly as possible.

Archived