You be the GM, please Cut 22 Players from this list

Sarge4Tide

Assuming the Jets keep 4 QB, please cut 22 players total from the list below (select the 22 players you would cut)  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Running Backs / Full Backs (Assuming Bilal Powel and Matt Forte are safe)

• RB Khiry Robinson
    • RB Antoine Smith
    • RB Dominique Williams
    • FB Tommy Bohanon
    • FB Julian Howsare
  2. 2. TE / WRs (Assuming Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, and TE Kellen Davis are safe)

• WR Kenbrell Thompkins
    • WR Charone Peake
    • WR Robby Anderson
    • WR Jeremy Ross
    • WR Jalin Marshall
    • WR Chandler Worthy
    • TE Jace Amaro
    • TE Zach Sudfield
    • TE Brandon Bostick
    • TE Wes Saxton
  3. 3. Offensive Line (Assuming Mangold, Clady, Carpenter, Shell and WInters are safe)

• Breno Giacomini
    • Ben Ijalana
    • Wesley Johnson
    • Brent Qvale
    • Dakota Dozier
    • Craig Watts
    • Mike Liedtke
  4. 4. Defensive Line (Assuming Mo, Sheldon, Williams, McLendon are safe)

• Jarvis Jenkins
    • Deon Simon
    • Lawrence Thomas
    • Mike Catapano
    • Claude Pelon
    • Tarow Barney
  5. 5. Linebackers (Assuming Harris, Mauldin, Henderson, Lee, Jenkins are safe)

• Bruce Carter
    • Trevor Reilly
    • Taiwan Jones
    • Julian Stanford
    • Freddie Bishop
    • Josh Martin
  6. 6. Secondary (Assuming Revis, Skrine, Pryor, and Gilchrist are safe)

• Marcus Williams
    • Dee Milliner
    • Dexter McDougle
    • Justin Burris
    • Darryl Morris
    • Kevin Short
    • Bryson Keeton
    • Rontez Miles
    • Ronald Martin
    • Doug Middleton

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No option to cut a QB?  Copout (just kidding, nice thread, but QB should have been an option tbqh).

Yeah it would have been interesting to see the % there who would include Geno or Petty in their 22 (even if it seems pretty unlikely we outright cut either guy).

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Unsurprisingly, everyone wants to cut DL like crazy.  More surprisingly, to me anyways, not that many people want to cut Tommy Bohannon. 

If Breno Giacomini ends up on the PUP list that would be pretty huge.  Trading away a QB would also change things fairly significantly.  Those 2 actions combined would save the jobs of types like Doug Middleton, Freddie Bishop, Dakota Dozier, etc.

Problem with Breno to PUP is that he would still eat up over $5MM cap space.  That is a lot of $$$ for a below average player who will have to miss at least half the season, especially when we only have about $1.5 million in Top 51 space right now.  I think release with injury settlement would make a lot more sense than PUP.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Problem with Breno to PUP is that he would still eat up over $5MM cap space.  That is a lot of $$$ for a below average player who will have to miss at least half the season, especially when we only have about $1.5 million in Top 51 space right now.  I think release with injury settlement would make a lot more sense than PUP.

I guess the Jets did not want Will Beatty?  

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

any idea when his back injury surfaced.  i thought it was strange the jets traded a 2017 4th rounder to get brandon shell.  could it be they knew they may need to move on from breno back in may?

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

If we have no need for that cap space then it's not a big deal to hang onto him.  But I suppose we won't know we need that cap space until later. 

I found it pretty easy to reach 21 but damn that last spot is hard, due to injury and just plain sh*tty play I went against the grain and cut Giacomini in favor of keeping as many hybrid lineman as I could.

These were my cuts:

RB: Antoine Smith, D Williams, Howsare

TE/WR: Thompkins, Ross, Worthy, Saxton

OL: Dozier, Watts, Liedtke, Giacomini

DL: Pelon, Barney

LB: Reilly, Jones, Bishop, Martin

DB: McDougle, Morris, Short, Keeton, Middleton

If Lawrence Thomas is eligible for PS I would cut him and keep Giacomini.  I just don't know who is eligible for PS.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we have no need for that cap space then it's not a big deal to hang onto him.  But I suppose we won't know we need that cap space until later. 

Bear in mind that the cap space numbers being reported in the offseason are for the Top 51 players.  For regular season, we will need 53, plus 10 practice squad players.  Unless we release a highly paid player or two in the next few days, we are going to be right up against the cap. And we will need some space during the season to sign street free agents to replace players lost to injury.

To me, Breno is the guy to cut to free up $5MM, especially if he is going to miss half the season anyway -- not sure how an injury settlement might impact that.

2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I found it pretty easy to reach 21 but damn that last spot is hard, due to injury and just plain sh*tty play I went against the grain and cut Giacomini in favor of keeping as many hybrid lineman as I could.

These were my cuts:

RB: Antoine Smith, D Williams, Howsare

TE/WR: Thompkins, Ross, Worthy, Saxton

OL: Dozier, Watts, Liedtke, Giacomini

DL: Pelon, Barney

LB: Reilly, Jones, Bishop, Martin

DB: McDougle, Morris, Short, Keeton, Middleton

If Lawrence Thomas is eligible for PS I would cut him and keep Giacomini.  I just don't know who is eligible for PS.

Thomas is a rookie UDFA.  He is eligible for PS.  I might have him on the roster week 1 when Sheldon is out, then flip him to PS.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thomas is a rookie UDFA.  He is eligible for PS.  I might have him on the roster week 1 when Sheldon is out, then flip him to PS.

That last spot is definitely tricky, good idea carrying him for the 1st week, every other teams PS will be filled by then and may not even get a look through the waiver.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

So glad I dont have to make these decisions.  I just tried to name 22 players...and it was hard as hell.

We forget how good these guys are. They were, in many cases, the best football player in their county their HS senior year. Top 3 or 4 on their college team for most of them. To be in the position they are, they are tremendous athletes.

I'd rather not play a TE at all than play Kellen Davis, it's a sorry state of affairs if he's 'untouchable'. Can anyone think of a worse starting TE in the league? 

Also Tommy Bo, seems like a good dude but does nothing of note playing a largely defunct position, I'd cut him.

If Breno is getting out on the PUP, then he can't practice until after week 6, isn't that the case?  If true, he won't make the field in a game till at least week 8 or 9.  

If that is the case, just cut him.  If Ijalani or Qvale can't handle the RT spot, we can always bring him back cheaper and earlier than week 8 or 9.

I cut 22 but after reevaluating, I would cut Breno and Davis and not cut Ross and Morris.

If the Jets keep 4 QBs they will have to sacrifice on depth at the following positions. Either O-line or LBs or D-line, maybe TE. I don't think they keep less that 6 CBs or less than 4 Safeties. I don't think they cut Bohannon or keep less than 6 WRs. 

So I think guys like R.Miles and R.Martin, McDougle, Bohannon, J.Marshall are safe. The Jets may elect to keep 7 WRs and get rid of Sudfeld. That's my 'bold' prediction. That way Peake, Marshall, Ross and Anderson all make the team. The fact that Enunwa plays a hybrid H-back/WR makes this that much more likely. 

Still, to keep 7 WRs and 4 QBs as well as Bohannon, the Jets will have to cut guys like D.Simon, J.Martin, Julian Stanford, M.Catapano, L.Thomas, C.Watts, T.Jones, etc. I mean, to make it to 53 ALL of those guys will have to go. So its tough decisions coming up. 

I know it may sound silly, but from what I saw of Hack and Petty in preseason, I have much more confidence in cutting Geno than I did just a few weeks ago.  

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

If the Jets keep 4 QBs they will have to sacrifice on depth at the following positions. Either O-line or LBs or D-line, maybe TE. I don't think they keep less that 6 CBs or less than 4 Safeties. I don't think they cut Bohannon or keep less than 6 WRs. 

So I think guys like R.Miles and R.Martin, McDougle, Bohannon, J.Marshall are safe. The Jets may elect to keep 7 WRs and get rid of Sudfeld. That's my 'bold' prediction. That way Peake, Marshall, Ross and Anderson all make the team. The fact that Enunwa plays a hybrid H-back/WR makes this that much more likely. 

Still, to keep 7 WRs and 4 QBs as well as Bohannon, the Jets will have to cut guys like D.Simon, J.Martin, Julian Stanford, M.Catapano, L.Thomas, C.Watts, T.Jones, etc. I mean, to make it to 53 ALL of those guys will have to go. So its tough decisions coming up. 

I know it may sound silly, but from what I saw of Hack and Petty in preseason, I have much more confidence in cutting Geno than I did just a few weeks ago.  

marshall won't be around forever.  it would be great to groom these younger guys so when marshall isn't here anymore they don't suffer a huge dropoff in weapons.

46 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

I'd rather not play a TE at all than play Kellen Davis, it's a sorry state of affairs if he's 'untouchable'. Can anyone think of a worse starting TE in the league? 

Also Tommy Bo, seems like a good dude but does nothing of note playing a largely defunct position, I'd cut him.

Agree with you on Davis.  A blocking tight end who does not block well adds nothing to this team in my opinion.  If it were me, I would probably go with just Amaro and Sudfeld at TE and 7 WRs including Quincy who appears to play a hybrid TE/WR role.  

48 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

marshall won't be around forever.  it would be great to groom these younger guys so when marshall isn't here anymore they don't suffer a huge dropoff in weapons.

Right, which is why I think its a good possibility the Jets keep Amaro and Davis and cut Sudfeld, allowing them to keep 7 WRs.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

sudfeld looks good, i'd rather cut davis.

I agree. But Davis is their 'blocking' TE and will be utilized in the run game a lot. And I think they still have high hopes for Amaro to be that 'receiving/split' TE. With Enunwa playing the H-back role, that puts Sudfeld in limbo, with not much of a role other than backup in case of injury. He looked pretty good, but even with the dropsies Amaro keeps having, I just don't think Sudfeld has the upside of Amaro and when it comes down to it, Sudfeld will probably be odd man out.  

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree with you on Davis.  A blocking tight end who does not block well adds nothing to this team in my opinion.  If it were me, I would probably go with just Amaro and Sudfeld at TE and 7 WRs including Quincy who appears to play a hybrid TE/WR role.  

Not sure why everyone thinks Davis is a bad blocker for a TE. He's the best blocking TE we have- that has always been his forte. What kind of standards are we using for his blocking abilities, he's not a Guard. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Davis is a bad blocker for a TE. He's the best blocking TE we have- that has always been his forte. What kind of standards are we using for his blocking abilities, he's not a Guard. 

You sound like a GM?

I'm sorry but did Amaro play in last weeks game. I missed the first 7 minutes of the game and watched the NFLN replay not the live telecast. I don't think he had any stats.  They also cut out some plays esp when there is a total lack of offense. I might have missed something.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

If you have a TE that can only block, then why not just put an extra OL in?

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I actually cut Bohannon and kept Antoine Smith, he started in the league as a FB, and is capable as a lead blocker, and has much better receiving skills than Bohannon. Tommy Bo is a nice kid, but brings very little value IMO. 

The rest, to me, were pretty non-controversial.

Not this Antone Smith.  He's 190lbs.  And he probably wrote his own ticket out of here with the way he played against the Giants.

6 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I had 21 because it looks as if Breno will start on the PUP

If that's the case, just cut him and save the money. He's useless on the PUP. Even moreso than he is at RT.

6 hours ago, Stark said:

I only cut 21, because Davis would be my 22nd. 

I was wondering why he wasn't an option. He'd be gone on my roster.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think Ross is going to make it over Marshall. I didn't feel that way a week ago but I do now. His return ability is going to keep him on.

I don't. You know what Ross is. If Marshall can be that or better in the future, you keep the promising player, not the journeyman. Marshall can return and be fine at it. This team needs to cultivate young talent, not cut it.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If that's the case, just cut him and save the money. He's useless on the PUP. Even moreso than he is at RT.

I was wondering why he wasn't an option. He'd be gone on my roster.

I don't. You know what Ross is. If Marshall can be that or better in the future, you keep the promising player, not the journeyman. Marshall can return and be fine at it. This team needs to cultivate young talent, not cut it.

Punt returner isnt a position to mess with. Ross is a proven guy who can field a punt, which is basically all that matters.

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Marshall hasn't done much in the preseason though. Ross has it least looked strong on Punt Returns. I think Robbie Anderson and Peake might be the young talent at the receiver position that the Jets need to cultivate, not Marshall. I know he's looked great in practice but he's done little in the games to get me excited. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the Jets kept him, I just don't feel his spot is locked up like I did a week ago. I think Ross is making a legit push for that last spot.

Archived