Parting with Geno or Petty-the PR Factor

varjet

Let's say that the Jets absolutely refuse to keep 4 QBs.   Any 53 roster will have on it players who are being warehoused for the future.  if we keep 4 QBs, that is one less WR, OL or safety that we nurture.  That being said, I think the future of the OL is not on the team, so it may not be worth nurturing an OL who will never play.

Despite all of the debate over Geno, i think everyone agrees:  it is almost certain that he is not on the Jets in 2017, he has skills but his flawed, if he does play better if will be for another team, and he likely gives the Jets a better chance to win as a backup than Petty does (this year, not necessarily next year).  So it appears that he stays because Woody and the Jets are win/playoff now, despite what the press says.

If the Jets trade Geno, and he plays well for another team, I don't see the fan base getting upset.  He is not popular with the fans, and people do think that the Jets environment has not been good to him.  If the Jets let go of Petty and he plays well, I think the fans go bonkers.  The fans generally like Petty better and see upside.  And although Macc has done a good job thus far, he should know that a franchise QB is the absolute most important part of a team, and he let Trevor Siemian (for Jarvis Harrison, among others), Paxton Lynch (for a LB who may not start and who plays similarly to Bruce Carter) and Dak Prescott (3 rounds of players) through his fingers.

Don't let Petty go, and try to find a way to have him replace Geno.  Perhaps that is why Petty plays 2+ quarters on Thursday.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Let's say that the Jets absolutely refuse to keep 4 QBs.   Any 53 roster will have on it players who are being warehoused for the future.  if we keep 4 QBs, that is one less WR, OL or safety that we nurture.  That being said, I think the future of the OL is not on the team, so it may not be worth nurturing an OL who will never play.

Despite all of the debate over Geno, i think everyone agrees:  it is almost certain that he is not on the Jets in 2017, he has skills but his flawed, if he does play better if will be for another team, and he likely gives the Jets a better chance to win as a backup than Petty does (this year, not necessarily next year).  So it appears that he stays because Woody and the Jets are win/playoff now, despite what the press says.

If the Jets trade Geno, and he plays well for another team, I don't see the fan base getting upset.  He is not popular with the fans, and people do think that the Jets environment has not been good to him.  If the Jets let go of Petty and he plays well, I think the fans go bonkers.  The fans generally like Petty better and see upside.  And although Macc has done a good job thus far, he should know that a franchise QB is the absolute most important part of a team, and he let Trevor Siemian (for Jarvis Harrison, among others), Paxton Lynch (for a LB who may not start and who plays similarly to Bruce Carter) and Dak Prescott (3 rounds of players) through his fingers.

Don't let Petty go, and try to find a way to have him replace Geno.  Perhaps that is why Petty plays 2+ quarters on Thursday.

Scenario 1: Geno gets traded for a 6th. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Petty comes in and goes 3-6, Jets end up 6-10 and #4 in AFCE. 3-6 for Petty is very generous. 

Scenario 2: Geno stays. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Geno comes in and plays like he did his rookie year and goes 3-6, same as Petty. Throws for 1500 yards, 12 TDs and 12 picks in 9 games. 

Scenario 3: Geno stays. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Geno comes in and plays really well and goes 7-2, Jets go 10-6 and get a playoff spot. Geno throws 20 TD and 6 picks in 9+ games with 2400+ yards

In scenario 1, Petty gets some game time, but with all those losses to below average teams doesn't really help his confidence.

In scenario 2, Geno gets picked up as a backup in FA and Jets get a 5th rounder back as comp.

In scenario 3, Geno gets tagged and traded for a 2nd or 3rd, or kept for one more season since Hack wouldn't be ready in 2017 after being the 4th QB. If he gets traded, Petty would start in 2017. 

In the worst case scenario, Geno would net us a 5th rounder. In the best case, we get a 3rd back. In YOUR scenario, Jets get a conditional 6th in trade. I'd much rather take my chance with an extra QB than an extra DB or WR. And I'd cut Kellen Davis before even thinking about cutting a QB. 

Yeah, I'd agree.

Geno has turned off most of the fanbase, mostly through bad play, and seeming bad attitude. 

My opinion is that I don't believe the difference in play between Geno vs Petty is that significant. I have seen Geno make ridiculously stupid decisions. Petty will have a learning curve and growing pains, but I say keep him let him learn. Cut Geno. If for some reason Fitz gets injured and Petty can't win a game then we know he and Geno aren't the QB for the JETS

There is only so good Geno can be unless he gets a new personality. Even if he were to overcome his fears, stand tall in the pocket calmly go through his reads, and be perfect fundamentally he would still have to communicate with his receivers. Until he learns how to get along with other children he will never run a good offense.

Maybe he has a personality disorder and needs help. Maybe he's crying out on the inside and it just comes off as if he doesn't care. If this is the case then I feel bad for him, but he should have sought help during the offseason. It's so obvious that he wallows in doubt, and self pity. Negativity just radiates from him. See the clip of Marshall ignoring him, then inching away with fear in his eyes. Brandon has been through this and is recovering. He knows he needs to keep away from Geno. 

Anyone who thinks Geno is getting a raw deal, or thinks there is some nefarious reason why we don't like him really has horrible judgment of character. Like people that constantly choose the wrong mate, these people love a hopeless case and become co dependent. I hope Geno gets the help he needs but I do not want him to take my team down with him. 

Anyone that disagrees with this need only to show me a clip of Geno excited and celebrating with his teammates. 

For some reason fans always think they know best. We get upset sometimes when they cut a player we think will be good when they are around the player 24/7, know what goes on in their heads, etc etc. If they cut Petty then I know he probably can't play, because I trust Mac. I'll be upset, not because he got cut, but because he obviously wasn't that good. Now I'm not saying cut players don't turn out good or teams make mistakes (woodhead), but for once we have a competent gm and coach where I think they warrant my trust. 

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is all moot if Hack turns out to be legit. But if the Jets don'd get any good offers for Petty or Geno, they will most certainly cut Geno (assuming keeping 4 QBs is absolutely not happening).

Also, let's not anoint Lynch, Preskot, Siemian as anything other that young QBs who will have a shot to start this year (excluding Lynch, actually). We know nothing about any of these guys yet.

Let's also not disregard Lee as "a LB who may not start and who plays similarly to Bruce Carter". You just sound silly saying that. Lee could end up being anything from a complete bust to a versatile 3 down Pro Bowl linebacker.  

Also, "3 rounds of players"? Yeah. Those players being Lee, Hack and Jenkins. All 3 have looked good so far. Jenkins will probably start, Lee has bee all over the field when given the chance in preseason, Hack came out played very well in his only pre-season opportunity (one INT hiccup with a DT falling into zone). 

13 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

There is only so good Geno can be unless he gets a new personality. Even if he were to overcome his fears, stand tall in the pocket calmly go through his reads, and be perfect fundamentally he would still have to communicate with his receivers. Until he learns how to get along with other children he will never run a good offense.

Maybe he has a personality disorder and needs help. Maybe he's crying out on the inside and it just comes off as if he doesn't care. If this is the case then I feel bad for him, but he should have sought help during the offseason. It's so obvious that he wallows in doubt, and self pity. Negativity just radiates from him. See the clip of Marshall ignoring him, then inching away with fear in his eyes. Brandon has been through this and is recovering. He knows he needs to keep away from Geno. 

Anyone who thinks Geno is getting a raw deal, or thinks there is some nefarious reason why we don't like him really has horrible judgment of character. Like people that constantly choose the wrong mate, these people love a hopeless case and become co dependent. I hope Geno gets the help he needs but I do not want him to take my team down with him. 

Anyone that disagrees with this need only to show me a clip of Geno excited and celebrating with his teammates. 

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg

image.JPG

Geno Smith, Jets

The Jets could be convinced to part ways with Smith, who feels like poisoned goods in Florham Park. With Ryan Fitzpatrick embedded as New York's starter and newbies Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg in tow, Gang Green general manager Mike Maccagnan could actually bring clarity to the position by parting with Smith. We don't see this as a top move for Minnesota, though, largely because of Geno's suspect play and less-than-stellar track record as a locker-room leader.

from nfl.com - not from a jet fan

6 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Show me the video clip not a still photo. This looks like team mates trying to get Geno excited. I don't even see a smile. I want to see him cheering. Arms in the air...you know genuinely excited. 

Meh, I don't care enough to do it. I'm sure a quick search on youtube would do it. I was just being snarky.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i guess i missed it.  what were the circumstances?

Marshall was watching the game and Geno was talking next to him. Geno tried to move up to get his attention and Brandon moved forward making sure not to make eye contact. I don't know what Geno was saying but it was obvious that Marshall didn't like it, but didn't want to address it. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This makes me laugh because this fanbase cant let go of anything!!!!!!!! haha

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i guess i missed it.  what were the circumstances?

11 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Marshall was watching the game and Geno was talking next to him. Geno tried to move up to get his attention and Brandon moved forward making sure not to make eye contact. I don't know what Geno was saying but it was obvious that Marshall didn't like it, but didn't want to address it. 

yup

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Scenario 1: Geno gets traded for a 6th. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Petty comes in and goes 3-6, Jets end up 6-10 and #4 in AFCE. 3-6 for Petty is very generous. 

Scenario 2: Geno stays. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Geno comes in and plays like he did his rookie year and goes 3-6, same as Petty. Throws for 1500 yards, 12 TDs and 12 picks in 9 games. 

Scenario 3: Geno stays. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Geno comes in and plays really well and goes 7-2, Jets go 10-6 and get a playoff spot. Geno throws 20 TD and 6 picks in 9+ games with 2400+ yards

In scenario 1, Petty gets some game time, but with all those losses to below average teams doesn't really help his confidence.

In scenario 2, Geno gets picked up as a backup in FA and Jets get a 5th rounder back as comp.

In scenario 3, Geno gets tagged and traded for a 2nd or 3rd, or kept for one more season since Hack wouldn't be ready in 2017 after being the 4th QB. If he gets traded, Petty would start in 2017. 

In the worst case scenario, Geno would net us a 5th rounder. In the best case, we get a 3rd back. In YOUR scenario, Jets get a conditional 6th in trade. I'd much rather take my chance with an extra QB than an extra DB or WR. And I'd cut Kellen Davis before even thinking about cutting a QB. 

Why do all of your scenarios have the jets sucking?

I don't get all of the love for a 'possible' compensatory pick; that in itself isn't worth making any decisions.

1. The pick doesn't happen until 2018; people are claiming that we are wasting our win-now options as it is, but we are going to do something for a 3rd day pick in 2018?

2. What if we don't get anything? In order to get anything, the FA has to get a good/great contract AND we have to have not signed an equally good/great contract. So, if done in a vacuum, and Geno gets a 2yr 9mill contract (same as Sanchez) we only get something IF we don't sign another FA to a similar contract AND other teams situations (I don't understand the algorithm except that it never seems to benefit the Jets). What do you get? maybe if we are lucky a 5th

3. Forget about the cap, increased time for Petty and Hack, etc. what about the player you have to cut. What if we end up cutting Peake (this year's 7th)? Is it worth it to cut a player this year, who would have gotten 2 years experience for for a possible shot at a 5th round pick that only has a 50% chance of sticking and will likely need a year or two another 2 years down the road? So, a 7th that show promise now, for a 5th in 2 years?

I cannot imagine that a GM would hold a guy that he doesn't want on the possibility of a 5th 2 years down the road; or worse, play a guy you don't have confidence in for the same bargain.

If people are so interested in compensatory picks, consider this. If they trade Geno for a 7th; you will get the cap relief now, a player next year, AND if you are happy with Petty's and/or Hack's progress, a possible compensatory pick (at least as good as Geno's) if we can let Fitz walk.

21 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't get all of the love for a 'possible' compensatory pick; that in itself isn't worth making any decisions.

1. The pick doesn't happen until 2018; people are claiming that we are wasting our win-now options as it is, but we are going to do something for a 3rd day pick in 2018?

2. What if we don't get anything? In order to get anything, the FA has to get a good/great contract AND we have to have not signed an equally good/great contract. So, if done in a vacuum, and Geno gets a 2yr 9mill contract (same as Sanchez) we only get something IF we don't sign another FA to a similar contract AND other teams situations (I don't understand the algorithm except that it never seems to benefit the Jets). What do you get? maybe if we are lucky a 5th

3. Forget about the cap, increased time for Petty and Hack, etc. what about the player you have to cut. What if we end up cutting Peake (this year's 7th)? Is it worth it to cut a player this year, who would have gotten 2 years experience for for a possible shot at a 5th round pick that only has a 50% chance of sticking and will likely need a year or two another 2 years down the road? So, a 7th that show promise now, for a 5th in 2 years?

I cannot imagine that a GM would hold a guy that he doesn't want on the possibility of a 5th 2 years down the road; or worse, play a guy you don't have confidence in for the same bargain.

If people are so interested in compensatory picks, consider this. If they trade Geno for a 7th; you will get the cap relief now, a player next year, AND if you are happy with Petty's and/or Hack's progress, a possible compensatory pick (at least as good as Geno's) if we can let Fitz walk.

I don't get the love for a 6th or even a 7th rounder. 

Sorry, but no one in the Oval office gives a sh*t about PR... we're not talking about Greg Hardy vs the women of USA here. We're talking about 1 douchebag QB. The only thing the brass care about is winning. If Petty wants to stick, he needed to prove he could win now. 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg

image.JPG

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Show me the video clip not a still photo. This looks like team mates trying to get Geno excited. I don't even see a smile. I want to see him cheering. Arms in the air...you know genuinely excited. 

lol I love this place. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Outside of the fact that during his first 2 seasons there wasnt much winning so there wasnt much to get excited over.....here you go. He's not smiling, maybe he doesnt express his excitement the way you want him to. His arms however,......

giphy.gif

Cant see his face, but I would conclude that he wasnt smiling while he was "genuinely celebrating" with fans. 

0413489001436977122_filepicker.jpg

52 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

What do you think you are going to get for a compensatory pick?

Depends on the type of season he has but 5th round wouldn't be out of reach. It'll be higher than what he'll fetch in a trade. Either way, neither is any better than having a solid backup. 

the jets can't trade smith until after the eagles game, they have to know petty and hack, esp. petty, does not get hurt.  if petty gets hurt vs the eagles they really can't deal geno.

if petty plays reasonably well and doesn't get hurt, that's when the jets can deal geno.  

Sorry, I think many are over-estimating what we would get for compensatory pick for Geno; IMO a 5th is not likely, but a 3rd - he would have to sign for 12-15 million. So, in order to get a 3rd, we have to keep him; Fitz has to get hurt for a significant time AND Geno has to play pretty much lights out. Sorry, sure we can get a 3rd, but I could also win the Lottery; banking on it, that is another issue. As far as the 5th, not only would he need to be signed for backup money (which I think he would), but we have to be very quiet in the FA market ourselves. If it does happen, it is a 2018 5th vs. 2017 7th (unless he totally sucks - but that blows out the 3rd).

The question is the difference between a probably 2017 7th worth while over a less likely 2018 5th and loosing a guy on the bubble? I say no; you want to discuss Geno vs Petty as a #2 okay, but IMO this talk about holding a guy, paying him another 1 million, loosing another guy and reducing reps for Petty and Hack isn't worth a shot at a 2018 5th. 

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

Tagged? With the franchise tag? That can't be a serious thing. You're joking right? Who is trading for Geno with that price tag?

Archived