Parting with Geno or Petty-the PR Factor

varjet

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Tagged? With the franchise tag? That can't be a serious thing. You're joking right? Who is trading for Geno with that price tag?

Perhaps you should read the scenario. And tag and trade means a new deal from the new team. 

Scenario 1: Geno gets traded for a 6th. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Petty comes in and goes 3-6, Jets end up 6-10 and #4 in AFCE. 3-6 for Petty is very generous. 

Scenario 2: Geno stays. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Geno comes in and plays like he did his rookie year and goes 3-6, same as Petty. Throws for 1500 yards, 12 TDs and 12 picks in 9 games. 

Scenario 3: Geno stays. Fitz starts 3-4, and then gets injured for the season. Geno comes in and plays really well and goes 7-2, Jets go 10-6 and get a playoff spot. Geno throws 20 TD and 6 picks in 9+ games with 2400+ yards

In scenario 1, Petty gets some game time, but with all those losses to below average teams doesn't really help his confidence.

In scenario 2, Geno gets picked up as a backup in FA and Jets get a 5th rounder back as comp.

In scenario 3, Geno gets tagged and traded for a 2nd or 3rd, or kept for one more season since Hack wouldn't be ready in 2017 after being the 4th QB. If he gets traded, Petty would start in 2017. 

In the worst case scenario, Geno would net us a 5th rounder. In the best case, we get a 3rd back. In YOUR scenario, Jets get a conditional 6th in trade. I'd much rather take my chance with an extra QB than an extra DB or WR. And I'd cut Kellen Davis before even thinking about cutting a QB. 

What do you mean by "Geno gets tagged?" Like hit by a beer bottle leaving the stadium for the last time as a jet? Or maybe someone graffiting "you suck!" on his car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Outside of the fact that during his first 2 seasons there wasnt much winning so there wasnt much to get excited over.....here you go. He's not smiling, maybe he doesnt express his excitement the way you want him to. His arms however,......

giphy.gif

Cant see his face, but I would conclude that he wasnt smiling while he was "genuinely celebrating" with fans. 

0413489001436977122_filepicker.jpg

I have to say, he looks more like he's saying "yeah look at me" instead on high fiving and hugging his teammates after a good play. Just how I see it 

1 hour ago, jetfan61 said:

I have to say, he looks more like he's saying "yeah look at me" instead on high fiving and hugging his teammates after a good play. Just how I see it 

What year was this taken . You have to believe that there's no way in hades Geno Smith will be jumping into the stands the way the New yok fans feel about him . I was going to correct that, but it decided against it .  Show a Video of what a kid did in his initial season in the NFL and use it to prove that he's selfish . I wanted the Jets to cut this kid so this garbage would stop, but truth be told, it never will. Mark Sanchez has been gone for some time and he's still the topic of post filled with hate . Herman Edwards, Rex Ryan and John Idzik, all still get it around here .

Misery and it's company .

That is all .

Back to the main point of this thread...

On the whole I like what Macc has done here.  Most recently I was relieved by Hackenberg's play Saturday night.  But last off season's moves on Carpenter, Marshall and Fitzpatrick was like a trifecta of awesome moves.  People were upset with Cromartie's play, for good reasons, but he was hurt and played better in the second half.  Then there was the quiet Gilchrist signing as well that was a good move, and despite some problems for Skrine, it's overall good that he's on the team.  The draft was a bit more of a mixed bag.  This off season we have yet to see the fruits of, so I won't get too deep into it, the point being I think as of now Macc has a lot of goodwill among the fanbase.  Most would agree I think.

Having said that I personally thought the most interesting draft move this off season was the combo of the Jets passing on Lynch while the Broncos traded up to get him, but after the Jets' picked.  Given the obvious need the Jets have medium to long term at Qb, which team made the right move there?

I totally get that Macc handled that based on his best judgment of the situation.  But... I also think the Broncos are a very well run team, and they must have thought THEY used their best judgment as well.

The point of all this Lynch discussion is I hope obvious - the real threat to Macc's standing with the fanbase is if he fails to develop or obtain an above average Qb.  He can lessen that threat and how it plays out if the Jets make the playoffs this year, in win now mode.  But if he cuts Petty and Petty is signed by another team, and he goes into next off season with Hack the only Qb under contract, that's an awful lot riding on Hack, who may not prove out.  Meanwhile if Lynch does well in Denver?

I think I made my point.

The justification IMHO to trade/cut Geno before the season starts is as follows:

1.  If Ryan stays healthy, and wins games, Geno is wasted space, or put another way, insurance with
a likely catastrophic deductible (should he ever play, not in terms of his compensation premium, plus the opportunity cost of (5) ).
2.  If Ryan stays healthy, and has a losing streak, Geno is unlikely to win enough to matter.
3.  If Ryan gets injured for an extended streak, see (2)
4.  If Ryan gets injured for part of a game or just one game, Petty can probably fill in as well as Geno.
5.  If Jets keeps Geno, they will probably lose a more promising player they would rather keep and develop. 

Football is a game of fuzzy probabilities, based on player statistics + intangibles.  The huge personal negativity surrounding this player convincingly tilts the odds against him.
Mac should pull the trigger on Geno this weekend, if instinct, experience, odds and logic dictate it -- UNLESS Petty stinks it up to high water.

Lets be serious. We all watched the 4 games and let us make our observation. Who had the greatest improvement and played the best at QB. Petty has been night and day from what he was last year. Fitz looked rusty but who cares. He is a vet and our starter. Geno looks like the rookie Hackenberg is. NO IMPROVEMENT. He looks like a deer in headlights. Hackenberg looks like the player at Penn St. who I said was a turnover machine. Petty gets cut then this organization must be crazy. He zips the ball and has the best arm. We will see.

5 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Lets be serious. We all watched the 4 games and let us make our observation. Who had the greatest improvement and played the best at QB. Petty has been night and day from what he was last year. Fitz looked rusty but who cares. He is a vet and our starter. Geno looks like the rookie Hackenberg is. NO IMPROVEMENT. He looks like a deer in headlights. Hackenberg looks like the player at Penn St. who I said was a turnover machine. Petty gets cut then this organization must be crazy. He zips the ball and has the best arm. We will see.

I don't think Petty has the best arm, but he had a very good preseason. I have been busting balls a lot with Petty but he deserves to be on this team. No doubt.

What he did this preseason is exactly what you want to see (hope) a young player do.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't think Petty has the best arm, but he had a very good preseason. I have been busting balls a lot with Petty but he deserves to be on this team. No doubt.

What he did this preseason is exactly what you want to see (hope) a young player do.

What you want to see in a young QB is improvement from the year before. Petty has aced this.  Geno looks like a rookie again. His feet are not set. Staring at one receiver and under throwing receivers. Looks nervous in the pocket. All the same things he has been doing for these years he has been here.  

I read all of that muck. There is no realistic chance that Geno gets tagged at all. It's not fiscally or physically possible. 

This guy can't even admit he had a silly idea about franchise tagging Geno? What an ego... Hilarious

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

We can not release Petty and keep effing Hackenberg. I don't give a sh*t about draft position. Who's the better QB? Either we keep four, Geno goes, or Hack goes. Petty damn well better be safe.

look how much petty has improved in this system with this coaching.  maybe hack can too?

Archived