Help a Jet noob!

Jackie Treehorn

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Here's what you should do:

Transportation:  With the amount of time/money you've invested on this trip don't mess with a bus or a train.  Use Uber, get a car out to the stadium.  When the game is over, have that same driver pick you up or find one of the dozens that will find you at the stadium as you exit right by the Verizon gate (adjacent to the train station).  In the end, Uber will cost you a few dollars more but will be far easier and comfortable.

Jets Merchandise:  As others are recommending, go to Modell's, there are several around the city.  There is a very big Modell's right near Madison Square Garden at 33rd Street and 7th Avenue, and if you don't find something there walk along Macy's up 34th Street, cross Broadway, and walk the long block on 34th between Broadway and 5th Avenue and there are a ton of shops selling sporting goods with plenty of Jets stuff.

Field Warmups:  The ushers on the lower level of MetLife Stadium are very lenient when it comes to letting first-time fans watch the pregame warmups from the first row right on the 40 yard line.  Arrive at the Stadium so you can get in when the gates open at 11AM.  Walk in the pedestrian plaza until you see the large 50 yard line logo, you can't miss it, and then walk into the stadium, through the large food court, and down the stairs.  There will be a few food concessions down there.  Then walk up any one of the stairways in front of you and that will put you into the lower level of the stadium where you tell an usher "it's my first time at a Jets game" and they'll let you hang out for an hour and watch the warmups from 10 feet away.

Jets Merchandise:  The single best place to find hats, t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys. etc. is in the Jets team store which is back out on the pedestrian plaza near that 50 yard line logo and the club entrance.  The prices aren't that bad.  Selection is amazing and if you want a custom jersey they'll make it for you on the spot, takes like 10 minutes.

Enjoy.

SAR I

For being a snob.... you're really a decent guy!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am not sure how often you travel abroad, but you would be shocked at how hard it can be to follow your GPS in another part of the world. Streets and addresses work differently depending where you are and it can be quite the vexing endeavor trying to follow your phone. 

I suppose that can be true. While as I do not drive much in other countries I have driven all over these great states and generally speaking GPS has served me well. It has not always provided me with the fastest or easiest route or given me all the fine nuances but I have found that if I take my time and be prepared in advance of changes in route it can be fairly painless. But sure it's not a perfect system.

11 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Haha thanks for all the replies! I might be from Sweden but I still have some common sense to separate the very good answers from the very funny answers. ?To sum up. Train from Penn station, arrive a couple of hours before the game in a Fitzmagic jersey. (Mostly because he is a Seinfeld fan.) Or maybe a Wilkerson one, he seems pretty mean. 

I'd go with Mo.  Fitz is on a one year contract,  You don't want to be jersey shopping again next year

32 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I actually can't stand IKEA. Always crowded and once you have made your way home it is almost impossible to put the pieces together. 

I knew I was going to marry my wife when we made it through an IKEA shopping trip and build without killing each other.

I'd go with Mo.  Fitz is on a one year contract,  You don't want to be jersey shopping again next year

I'd go with one of the greats, Namath, Maynard, Martin, Klecko, Chrebet, etc. Never have to buy another one and you'll be accepted immediately by any fan!!

10 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I'd go with one of the greats, Namath, Maynard, Martin, Klecko, Chrebet, etc. Never have to buy another one and you'll be accepted immediately by any fan!!

See post above this one.   I agree.  It's Klecko all the way.  HOF might not love him, but I do

20 hours ago, flgreen said:

Attire with just the Jet's logo are forever if you want to keep wearing them.

Once your player retires, your jersey will just sit in the closet.

Unless you sport a HOF'er, i.e. Joe Willie.  

On a final note in this thread I just have to thank anyone for the helpful advice I have recieved on everything from jerseys, restaurants and getting to MetLife. Not to mention an invitation for tailgating. 

Since I am here on my honeymoon (forgot to mention that earlier) I think I will go with some sort of car service and I won't be able to do any tailgating. My wife is great but she is already rolling her eyes when I say I want to be at MetLife a couple of hours before the game. 

And for those who haven't been able to sleep awaiting my decision on a jersey number. I went to Modells on 42st and picked up a #14. If the Jets have a great opener and a great season he will be a part of it. If not will crash and burn with him and buy a new jersey my next visit. 

Thanks again for all great advice! You have a great city here, I am crazy about it! Let's hope we have a great game on Sunday!

Go Jets!

38 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

On a final note in this thread I just have to thank anyone for the helpful advice I have recieved on everything from jerseys, restaurants and getting to MetLife. Not to mention an invitation for tailgating. 

Since I am here on my honeymoon (forgot to mention that earlier) I think I will go with some sort of car service and I won't be able to do any tailgating. My wife is great but she is already rolling her eyes when I say I want to be at MetLife a couple of hours before the game. 

And for those who haven't been able to sleep awaiting my decision on a jersey number. I went to Modells on 42st and picked up a #14. If the Jets have a great opener and a great season he will be a part of it. If not will crash and burn with him and buy a new jersey my next visit. 

Thanks again for all great advice! You have a great city here, I am crazy about it! Let's hope we have a great game on Sunday!

Go Jets!

I can certainly offer your young Swedish wife the opportunity to sit with me for wine and cheese in my air conditioned 2016 BMW X5 for a few hours while you tailgate with a bunch of old guys in a sweaty parking lot.  I will even queue up my ABBA playlist to make her feel welcome.

PM me, it'll be good.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I can certainly offer your young Swedish wife the opportunity to sit with me for wine and cheese in my air conditioned 2016 BMW X5 for a few hours while you tailgate with a bunch of old guys in a sweaty parking lot.  I will even queue up my ABBA playlist to make her feel welcome.

PM me, it'll be good.

SAR I

Thanks for the offer, but she is actually used to a BMW X6, so I don't know how fun it would be for her. (It is funny because it is true.) 

5 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Thanks for the offer, but she is actually used to a BMW X6, so I don't know how fun it would be for her. (It is funny because it is true.) 

Excellent!  Finally another JN member who can appreciate European motor quality.

In my post from Sunday I mentioned that the most fun you can have before the game is going down to the field level inside the stadium to watch warmups and I highly recommend that you do.  If you are not in the parking lot by 11AM your car service is going to sit in terrible traffic which, with the jet lag and the heat, will make your wife nauseous.

Listen to your BMW pal SAR please.  Leave Manhattan at 10:30.  Arrive at the stadium 11:00.  Follow my instructions and go straight through security, through the food court, and up the steps into the lower bowl.  Tell the usher it's your first time and you're from Sweden.  Then you and your wife can stand or sit in the shade in first-row seats and watch the players warm up before the game.  By 12:15 you can go get lunch.  By 12:45 get to your seats.

That's the way to do it.  Trust me.  Better to be inside the stadium sitting in the shade an hour earlier than planned than sit in stop and go traffic for that same hour.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

PM me, it'll be good.

SAR I

Would she have to sit in the back of your BMW station wagon or could she sit up front with your driver? 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Excellent!  Finally another JN member who can appreciate European motor quality.

In my post from Sunday I mentioned that the most fun you can have before the game is going down to the field level inside the stadium to watch warmups and I highly recommend that you do.  If you are not in the parking lot by 11AM your car service is going to sit in terrible traffic which, with the jet lag and the heat, will make your wife nauseous.

Listen to your BMW pal SAR please.  Leave Manhattan at 10:30.  Arrive at the stadium 11:00.  Follow my instructions and go straight through security, through the food court, and up the steps into the lower bowl.  Tell the usher it's your first time and you're from Sweden.  Then you and your wife can stand or sit in the shade in first-row seats and watch the players warm up before the game.  By 12:15 you can go get lunch.  By 12:45 get to your seats.

That's the way to do it.  Trust me.  Better to be inside the stadium sitting in the shade an hour earlier than planned than sit in stop and go traffic for that same hour.

SAR I

Cool thanks! We have club seats and I have a friend who has been to a few NFL-games, not in MetLife though, and he said he thinks there will be a bar we can go to. Is he right on that one?

Just now, Jackie Treehorn said:

Cool thanks! We have club seats and I have a friend who has been to a few NFL-games, not in MetLife though, and he said he thinks there will be a bar we can go to. Is he right on that one?

The Club situation is very different once in the stadium-  you don't have to go down to the field to be entertained and eat (though I recommend that you do).  But as far as a car to the stadium, it's the same as everyone else-  if your car does not arrive at MetLife at or before 11AM you will get slaughtered in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour and you don't want that.

What section are your seats in?

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Club situation is very different once in the stadium-  you don't have to go down to the field to be entertained and eat (though I recommend that you do).  But as far as a car to the stadium, it's the same as everyone else-  if your car does not arrive at MetLife at or before 11AM you will get slaughtered in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour and you don't want that.

What section are your seats in?

SAR I

Hm ok that doesn't sound good at all. Maybe the train is the way to go after all. They are a bit off. Club goal line I think.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Hm ok that doesn't sound good at all. Maybe the train is the way to go after all. They are a bit off. Club goal line I think.

I sit directly adjacent to the Club seats in the Mezzanine, you might be sitting next to me.  Let me know if you have the section number handy.

The train is a whole different situation, I don't recommend it either.  First, you still have to leave the city at 10:30 to beat the crowds and get on a good train, next you have to walk several blocks to get to Penn Station NJ Transit terminal, next you have to switch trains at confusing Secaucus station.  But the worst is that after the game you will wait forever to board and get back into the city.

There is no solution to avoid a 10:30 departure from Manhattan and there is no better way to get there than by car service if you leave at the right time.

SAR I

On 6 september 2016 at 2:39 AM, Jackie Treehorn said:

Haha thanks for all the replies! I might be from Sweden but I still have some common sense to separate the very good answers from the very funny answers. ?To sum up. Train from Penn station, arrive a couple of hours before the game in a Fitzmagic jersey. (Mostly because he is a Seinfeld fan.) Or maybe a Wilkerson one, he seems pretty mean. 

What are the odds of two Jets fans in the same city (outside of US). Glad to see I'm not the only idiot.. ;)

I took the bus as described and it was easy enough, traffic on way back but after a W, who cares?

Let me know if you need any recommendations and representera oss svenska Jets fans med full pipa!

2 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

I think SAR just got faced by the guy from Sweden.

Ok I should come clean on this one. I don't drive an X6, I never wrote that. But my father in law does, hence my wife is used to that car. I live and work in the center of Stockholm and hardly ever leave that area so I mostly walk. 

But I thought it was a funny comeback. But SAR I has given me great advice an seems to be a great guy. As most of you seem to be. 

So there it is SAR I is still the BMW dude on the forum. :)

26 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Ok I should come clean on this one. I don't drive an X6, I never wrote that. But my father in law does, hence my wife is used to that car. I live and work in the center of Stockholm and hardly ever leave that area so I mostly walk. 

But I thought it was a funny comeback. But SAR I has given me great advice an seems to be a great guy. As most of you seem to be. 

YES!  

Enjoy the game.  If you go to Max's Non-RV Tailgate I may stop by to say hello.

SAR I

48 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

A wolf in sheep's clothing, we assure you!

Archived