who has the Toughest schedule in 2016 ? ? ?

kelly

If you looked strictly at their strength of schedule, you would have to like the Texans’ chances at making a return trip to the AFC Playoffs in 2016. However, with a closer look, you will find that the Texans have four short weeks — which puts them in a tie for the most in the league — and road games against the New England Patriots,Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, and Green Bay Packers. And if that weren’t enough, the AFC South should be a much more competitive division after the offseason additions the Jacksonville Jaguars made and with the return of quarterback Andrew Luck for the Indianapolis Colts.

~ ~ New York Jets

Strength of Schedule (NFL rank): 0.531 (t-7)

When you consider all possible factors, the Jets may have the toughest schedule in the league. Outside of having to  play  the New England Patriots twice, the Jets will also have to deal with four short weeks; back-to-back road games against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals; a brutal five-game stretch of games against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Seattle Seahawks, the Steelers, the Cardinals, and the Baltimore Ravens; and a season-opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. Based off of this schedule, we have a difficult time envisioning “Gang Green” landing a spot in the AFC Playoffs in 2016.

rest of above article  :  

>       http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-toughest-schedule-2016.html/?ref=YF&yptr=yahoo

..Jets need to avoid this 'maddening tendency' to be successful in 2016

I don't write much about sports, and for a good reason: It is very hard for me to be objective. After all, how would you explain my almost 50 years of unconditional support for both the New York Jets and the New York Mets, teams known more for serial disappointments than for impressive accomplishments ?  But when Business Insider approached me to write something on the coming season for my beloved Jets, my resistance slowly eroded … and then collapsed. So here's my amateurish take on the 2016 J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS (as the popular chant goes).

In theory, this could be a solid year for the Jets — that is to say, one in which a competitive team makes it to the playoffs while simultaneously progressing on its multiyear rebuilding effort that would bear fruit for many years to come.After all, the Jets have a strong defense that could (and should) forces opponents into crucial, game-changing turnovers. The starting quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick, is capable of moments of brilliance, coming off a solid 2015 season. Like those of many others on this evolving team, his talents are yet to be fully unleashed. And the team seems to have a good punter in Lachlan Edwards.

The 2016 Jets also see the return of outstanding veteran players such as Nick Mangold and Muhammad Wilkerson — really inspiring footballers who brilliantly lead by example and do sogame after game. Todd Bowles is a strong head coach. Wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker have exciting breakout potential, while Darrelle Revis remains one of the best cornerbacks in the league.

These are but some of the many valid reasons to be hopeful this year. And we didn't get here easily.

The offseason was dominated by questions about when and how Fitzpatrick would re-sign. The four preseason games were far from remarkable. The team just waived two high draft picks (Jace Amaro and, more controversially, Dee Milliner) while holding on, at least for now, to four (yes, four) quarterbacks, also potentially setting the stage for a QB controversy should Fitzpatrick slip badly.It is also a team that is light on tight ends. Six of the first nine games are on the road and include some pretty tough opponents. And it is a schedule that doesn't even give the team the luxury of a game against the New England Patriots during the weeks that Tom Brady is suspended.

What worries me most, however, is that for way too many years the Jets have displayed a maddening tendency to mess up, and unnecessarily so, by playing down to the level of mediocre opponents, losing their concentration at crucial junctures in key games, and blowing big leads (especially in the fourth quarter).

To turn strong theoretical potential into proud accomplishments, the Jets will need to fill some important gaps, develop more of a deep threat, and invigorate what seems a rather lackluster offensive line in the preseason. Most important, they need to stop making the unforced mistakes for which they have become known, if not infamous. (Remember the November 2012 "butt fumble" against no less a disliked team than the dreaded Patriots — and this during a historically catastrophic quarter in which the Jets gave up five touchdowns even though they had the ball for 80% of the time. Go figure.)

Entering this new NFL season, my head is again telling me not to hope for too much from the Jets, to realistically manage down my expectations, and to get emotionally ready for the usual series of disappointments.

That is what I should be doing.

But when it comes to the Jets (and the Mets), the heart dominates the head. So, here I go again throwing caution to the wind and hoping for a playoff run that follows — equally important — solid regular-season wins against the archrival Patriots!

Mohamed El-Erian is chief economic adviser at Allianz and a die-hard New York Jets fan.

>    http://www.businessinsider.com/2016-new-york-jets-preview-mohamed-el-erian-2016-9

Whatever with the schedule. I'm tired of just of hoping to just make it.

If their defense stops giving up first downs on 3-15 they should be competitive against the good teams.

If they're not 3-1 against the Jill's and Fish combined it would be a big disappointment!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CAN JETS OVERCOME TOUGH SCHEDULE ?

No team's schedule changes from 2015 to 2016 more than the Jets, who ranked 29th in schedule strength a year ago and No. 2 entering this season. New York's first seven opponents are all projected to be above-average teams this year. Strength of schedule rankings (Insider)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

JETS' PLAYOFF CHANCES LOOK LOW

After just missing the postseason last season, the Jets chances have taken a hit this year. The Jets are projected to play the NFL's toughest schedule, according to FPI giving them 7.4 projected victories and a 24 percent chance of making the playoffs. FPI season predictions (Insider)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Jets 2016 Schedule: A game-by-game breakdown of Gang Green's season

WEEK 1 - September 11 vs. BENGALS

No Hue Jackson, No Tyler Eifert, No Vontaze Burfict, no way the Jets lose the season opener. Plea to Todd Bowles: Give Darrelle Revis some safety help on A.J. Green.

WEEK 2 - September 15 @ BILLS

Rex Ryan reveled in keeping his former employer out of the playoffs last year. He would love to stick it to them again. Same plea to Bowles: Give Revis help on Sammy Watkins.

WEEK 3 - September 25 @ CHIEFS

The last time the Jets went to Arrowhead Stadium, Mike Vick and Matt Simms were under center. Prediction: Ryan Fitzpatrick will fare better than those two guys.

WEEK 4 - October 2 vs. SEAHAWKS

It’s never easy for West Coast teams to play well after making a cross-country trek, but something tells me that Russell Wilson & that defense won’t have jetlag.

WEEK 5 - October 9 @ STEELERS

Bowles’ defense will be tested by Pittsburgh’s talented triplets: Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell. Can it slow any of them down?

WEEK 6 - October 17 @ CARDINALS

A brutal six-week stretch comes to an end in a matchup between student and teacher. Bruce Arians loves Bowles like a son, but that won’t prevent him from trying to kick his butt in primetime.

WEEK 7 - October 23 vs. RAVENS

This isn’t a layup, but Baltimore doesn’t have enough difference makers to prevail. Bowles’ defense line could feast in this game.

WEEK 8 - October 30 @ BROWNS

This IS a layup. If Bowles doesn’t win this one, oh boy. Cleveland hasn’t had a winning season since 2007. Johnny Manziel is going back to school, so Jets don’t even have him to kick around.

WEEK 9 - November 6 @ DOLPHINS

Rookie head coach (aka — offensive guru) Adam Gase will learn a valuable lesson: It’s not easy beating a Todd Bowles defense.

WEEK 10 - November 13 vs. RAMS

Todd Gurley is a man-child, but it’s hard to win 1-on-11. Over/under on QB hits on Case Keenum and/or Jared Goff: 15

WEEK 11 - BYE

WEEK 12 - November 27 vs. PATRIOTS

The Jets once hosted the Evil Empire at home in primetime around Thanksgiving … and the Butt Fumble was born. No embarrassing episodes this time. Just a good-ol’ fashioned big game against two teams that despise each other.

WEEK 13 - December 5 vs. COLTS

Two facts: 1) Andrew Luck is rich and 2) Indy’s offensive line still stinks. This Monday Night Game might not live up to the hype.

WEEK 14 - December 11 @ 49ERS

BREAKING: Chip Kelly’s offense is fugazi. It’ll take him months to figure out the Jets defense. Unfortunately for him, he only has a week.

WEEK 15 - December 17 vs. DOLPHINS

Chances that Arian Foster is still upright: 12 percent. A Jets series sweep seems likely.

WEEK 16 - December 24 @ PATRIOTS

Christmas Eve at the House The Hoodie built? Belichick would love nothing more than to play the role that he was born to play: The Grinch.

WEEK 17 - January 1 vs. BILLS

Could Rex spoil the Jets’ playoff chances again? If he does, my goodness, he might go streaking through the quad. Nobody wants to see that. 

>    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-2016-schedule-game-by-game-breakdown-article-1.2783069

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Is it just me or do the Jets and Pats have pretty much identical schedules?

Jets have a  tough schedule, but so do the Pats. The Jets can win the division. That should be the goal. It helps that Brady is out the first 4 weeks. 

They have the same Home / Away as us vs the NFC West and AFC North, so only true differences are @ KC / Indy vs @ Den / Hou ... hard to see any big difference there.

Other than that - they play us twice, we play them twice.

Our schedule is killer. But we have talent and a good coachinf staff for once. I like the challenge. If you want to be champions, well lets play the best. Lets start building a contender. First way to do that is play the top teams and learn to win. I hope this team sees this season's challenge as an opportunity. If you're scared to play the best, you've already lost. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was the most common assessment of the Jets' schedule when it was released back in April: 

The season is over. 

How the heck were they going to survive that grueling stretch to start the season? How? The Bengals and Seahawks at home, the Bills, Chiefs, Steelers and Cardinals on the road. No way the Jets were good enough to keep their heads above water against that level of competition. 

Well, two weeks into the season, the schedule appears a bit less daunting. Let's take a quick look :

Week 3: Jets (1-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (1-1)

The Chiefs have been a little up-and-down to start the 2016 season. In spite of a poor defensive outing, they pulled out a 33-27 victory over the Chargers Week 1. On Sunday, the Texans— the same team Kansas City shutout in the playoffs last year— defeated the Chiefs, 19-12. 

Granted, some of Kansas City's struggles are due to the fact running back Jamaal Charles has missed the first two games due to injury. They're also better at home, than on the road. But the Chiefs appear vulnerable. There's no doubt the Jets have a chance this Sunday. 

Week 4: Seattle Seahawks (1-1) at Jets 

Man, talk about taking a step back. The Seahawks resemble nothing of the team that had a stranglehold on the NFC just a couple years ago. The offense is average at best, and the defense looks like it can be had. The Seahawks barely beat the Dolphins, 12-10, in the season opener, and fell to the L.A. Rams, 9-3, on Sunday. 

Add in the fact the Jets get Seattle at home, not on the road, and there's a good chance they enter the game favored. 

Week 5: Jets at Pittsburgh Steelers (2-0)

OK, this game still looks pretty tough. The Steelers, even without Le'Veon Bell, have won their first two games. They dominated Washington, 38-14, and took down the Bengals, 24-16. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is still among the best in the league, receiver Antonio Brown is the best in the league, and Bell will be back for the Jets. 

Week 6: Jets at Arizona Cardinals (1-1)

The Cardinals are a very good team. They've got a tremendous head coach in Bruce Arians— Todd Bowles was his defensive coordinator before being hired by the Jets— a veteran quarterback in Carson Palmer, a tremendous young running back in David Johnson, a trio of top-notch receivers, and a very talented defense. This won't be an easy one, but the Patriots showed the Cardinals are vulnerable when they beat them in the season opener, 23-21. And New England did it without quarterback Tom Brady. 

To beat the Cardinals, you need to get regular, consistent pressure on Palmer. Palmer loves the deep ball, but if he doesn't have time to throw it, he can't. The Jets combination of Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson should be talented enough to get to Palmer early and often. That gives them a chance. 

Reassessment of Jets chances

The Jets haven't made the playoffs since 2010. If they want to snap that streak this year, the assumption is they have to be sitting at 3-3 come Week 7.Right now, they're 1-1. That means they need to win two of their next four. The Chiefs and Seahawks are very winnable games, and Arizona doesn't look as daunting as it did a couple of months ago. 

The road ahead for the Jets still isn't easy. But maybe it's not as bumpy as previously assumed. 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/is_jets_schedule_easier_than_expected.html#incart_river_index

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd take a look at how our schedule looked at the start of the year and how it looks after 1/4 of the season gone.

There was a lot of concern based on last year's standings - after all, the combined 2015 record of this year's opponents was 136-120 (0.53). Compare this to the combined records of our 2015 opponents, which was 113-143 (0.44) and that was quite a step up in competition levels. A 23 win differential year on year (akin to every team we play being about 1.4 wins better, on average).

How's it shaped up so far? Well, our 2016 opponents combined record at the quarter mark is 31-33 (0.48). That would equate to a full year record of 124-132. That's only an 11 win differential year on year (akin to every team we play being 0.69 wins better, on average).

So it really hasn't shaped up to be as tough as predicted based on last year's records, at least at this stage.

Interestingly if you look at the teams we played last year and see how their combined record is doing this year, it's at 31-32 (0.49). Phi has had a bye week which is why there's a game 'missing'. Pretty much the same as the strength of this year's schedule.

So yes, our schedule this year is tougher than last year, but only by about half as much as people imagined at the outset.

On 9/6/2016 at 8:08 AM, joewilly12 said:

Last season we clearly had the toughest schedule in the NFL this season I'm not sure about all that many teams have been decimated with injuries this preseason the Jets luckily have not.  

The Jets are the AFC sleeper team in 2016. 

I didn't think you meant that they would sleepwalk thru their games:D

11 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Yet the excuse last year was that he only did what he did because of a cupcake schedule?

No, I think the excuse last year was that he's only playing the schedule the NFL handed him and he should deserve credit for beating up on the below average teams, yet when he lost, it was because the D gave up 22 points, or the special teams couldn't score a couple of TDs or that Rex is a great motivator. The only game the D truly effed up was against the Raiders and as luck would have it, Geno had to take the blame for it. 

Fitz is sh*t today and Im making it known. He could be good this week, but it still wouldnt change the fact he's been since wk 17 of last year, minus one aberration game against Rex's greatly motivated team this year. He sucked donkey kong against Bengals as well. 

Archived