Mets Sign Tebow

LockeJET

Hey @JiF, what do you think of this move.  As for me, I feel haunted by the guy.  No matter what I do, I can't escape.  As a Georgia grad, its bad enough that I had to watch him kick our butts for 4 years at Florida.  Then, when he became available after Denver signed Peyton, my first thought was anywhere but the Jets, and naturally we trade for  him.  Then, when I heard he was holding a workout for MLB scouts, I thought anywhere by the Mets.  And naturally, we sign him.

I am haunted by Tim Tebow.

Don't know why this did this (other than publicity?), but at least I am not as upset as when the Jets signed him.

This move does not cost the Mets a roster spot (as it did the Jets), does not signal a change in approach of how they operate philosophically (as it did the Jets), and I have much more confidence in Mets leadership than the Jets had at that time.

Port St Lucie will be a zoo next year, and I am not sure why they did this. Thank God they can't call him up this Sept.

52 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hey @JiF, what do you think of this move.  As for me, I feel haunted by the guy.  No matter what I do, I can't escape.  As a Georgia grad, its bad enough that I had to watch him kick our butts for 4 years at Florida.  Then, when he became available after Denver signed Peyton, my first thought was anywhere but the Jets, and naturally we trade for  him.  Then, when I heard he was holding a workout for MLB scouts, I thought anywhere by the Mets.  And naturally, we sign him.

I am haunted by Tim Tebow.

lmfao - I mean, it's totally whatever.  Kind of meaningless.  He's not going to make it, lets be honest...but if he earns it and the Mets get a player out of it.  Great!  It's kind of a win win.  

I love Tebow.  He brought me the best Football years of my life.  Cant believe he's been on both my favorite pro teams.  Its so weird. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

lmfao - I mean, it's totally whatever.  Kind of meaningless.  He's not going to make it, lets be honest...but if he earns it and the Mets get a player out of it.  Great!  It's kind of a win win.  

I love Tebow.  He brought me the best Football years of my life.  Cant believe he's been on both my favorite pro teams.  Its so weird. 

You'd think after all the crap he caught from the NY Media, he'd know better.

Let's trade him to Hollywood for Puig!

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Why sign with a NY team when the media absolutely destroyed you when you were a Jet?

Does he think the media covering every move he makes or comment he makes will help him get to the majors?

The Puig thing was a joke.

I dont think Tebow cares what the media says about him.  lol

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Maybe not, but Wilpon probably does.

I think this is just for generating Spring Training Revenue.... nothing else.

Probably.  Which makes it a win/win.  If he turns out to be a player, great.  If not, no biggie.  Hopefully it put some butts in the seats. 

Interesting perspective that I saw online earlier today.

Tebow's agent is Jimmy Sexton.  Sexton partnered with CAA Sports for Tebow's baseball deal.  Cespedes is a CAA client.  Maybe we were doing a favor for Ces' agent by offering Tebow the minor league deal..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/tim-tebow-pursuing-baseball-career-to-hold-workout-for-mlb-teams.html

Former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow is “actively pursuing” a career as a baseball outfielder and will hold a workout for MLB scouts next month, ESPN’s Adam Schefter writes. Tebow has been training in Arizona and California as a baseball player for nearly a year, working with former MLB catcher Chad Moeller. His agents, Jimmy Sexton and Nick Khan, are now working with CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen (who has worked with MLB players like Yoenis Cespedes, Robinson Cano, Todd Frazier and Ryan Zimmerman) as Tebow pursues a career in MLB.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Interesting perspective that I saw online earlier today.

Tebow's agent is Jimmy Sexton.  Sexton partnered with CAA Sports for Tebow's baseball deal.  Cespedes is a CAA client.  Maybe we were doing a favor for Ces' agent by offering Tebow the minor league deal..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/tim-tebow-pursuing-baseball-career-to-hold-workout-for-mlb-teams.html

I doubt it runs that deep. St Lucie is a short drive from the Northern parts of Florida, IMO it's just for sales.

Why does he want to come back to New York. He did not have a good experience with the Jets that's for sure. He never got a chance to play (as a Qb). And there was no reason in a failed season they couldn't put him in just to see what he could do. I would have liked to see him get a few starts in 2012. But he would have had a better life and at least a chance to play if he had approved a trade to the Jags. I heard that the Braves were interested in signing him just yesterday. It almost sounded like a done deal. Wouldn't that have been a better location for Tim. In an area where he is wildly popular. In New York he isn't popular. Most Jets fans hate the guy even though he did everything asked of him including playing STs, 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why does he want to come back to New York. He did not have a good experience with the Jets that's for sure. He never got a chance to play (as a Qb). And there was no reason in a failed season they couldn't put him in just to see what he could do. I would have liked to see him get a few starts in 2012. But he would have had a better life and at least a chance to play if he had approved a trade to the Jags. I heard that the Braves were interested in signing him just yesterday. It almost sounded like a done deal. Wouldn't that have been a better location for Tim. In an area where he is wildly popular. In New York he isn't popular. Most Jets fans hate the guy even though he did everything asked of him including playing STs, 

My guess is because he won't be playing in New York, the Mets are not the Jets, and he's probably not a judgemental a$$hole.

I think when he went to the Jets (and reportedly he had a choice: us or the Jags) he wanted to come to New York because of the big market. And he wanted his voice (esp on religion) to have a bigger audience. So it could be the same thing here. Sports has been a big thing in his life but religion to him is more important. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I guess you're calling me that name. 

Not at all. I'm saying it's a bit presumptuous to think that given everything we know about Tebow that he'd pass up an opportunity for something so childish and petty.

That all said, this is stupid. None of this matters. He's not playing for the Mets any time soon if ever. It'll be a distraction for this ballclub for one day, Friday, when they have to answer questions about it, and then everyone will move on. It's a minor league contract and he'll be going to the Arizona Fall League to play for Scottsdale or something. It's a weird story, sure, but it doesn't matter and it has no bearing on anything.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

I am not a fan of his pro potential in either sport but yeah, that must be pretty cool for you.....hey ya never know.

This is why they signed him ...

On Thursday the New York Mets announced that they were signing former NFL quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow to a minor league contract after the 29-year-old held an open tryout for MLB teams.

A few hours later, the autograph website TDautographs.com, which Tebow’s official website links to, was offering official autographed baseballs and baseball bats for the cost of $125 and $175, respectively.

TDautographs.com listed the baseball with the description:

This autographed Official Major League Baseball is autographed in ballpoint pen on the “sweet spot” by Tim Tebow and is accompanied by a proof photo of Tim signing, as well as, a certificate of authenticity and hologram from TD Autographs, the exclusive memorabila [sic] provider for Tim Tebow.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived