4K or not 4K, that is the question

Gangrene

This topic has to have been covered by citizens of JetNation in the past but I have not found it.

I am wondering if CBS broadcast NFL games in 4K ? I have googled, of course , but have not found a definitive answer.

I plan to spring for a 4K television if Jets are broadcast locally in the New York market on 4K but otherwise I will pass on upgrading for the upcoming football season.

Input appreciated, fellow humans.

I don't believe any broadcast are in 4k. Over the air is still in the 720-1080 range. I could be wrong, Netflix does 4k, it'll eat through your data cap if your ISP has one. If you're looking to get a TV, can't go wrong with 4k. Looks like the trend is moving that way, but the content just isn't there yet. 

5 hours ago, rillo said:

I don't believe any broadcast are in 4k. Over the air is still in the 720-1080 range. I could be wrong, Netflix does 4k, it'll eat through your data cap if your ISP has one. If you're looking to get a TV, can't go wrong with 4k. Looks like the trend is moving that way, but the content just isn't there yet. 

Thanks on this Rillo. I  watch lot of on demand and Netflix but I'll likely wait a while on a 4K TV  if NFL broadcast football is still 1080 or below.

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

4K is PRETTY amazing and I only REALLY appreciate it when viewing NetFLix content in 4K. As for broadcasted NFL games, the difference is negligible and no real discernible difference. 

I bet, House of Cards etc, looks pretty amazing in 4K.

14 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

4K is PRETTY amazing and I only REALLY appreciate it when viewing NetFLix content in 4K. As for broadcasted NFL games, the difference is negligible and no real discernible difference. 

That's because they're not being broadcast in 4k..  when they finally do you'll most certainly be able to tell the difference.

On September 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Pac said:

That's because they're not being broadcast in 4k..  when they finally do you'll most certainly be able to tell the difference.

Which is my point. IF his priority is to see NFL games, then it's not worth getting a 4K now (more expensive) since the signal isn't at that quality yet, so just get a cheaper HD for the time being. 

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Which is my point. IF his priority is to see NFL games, then it's not worth getting a 4K now (more expensive) since the signal isn't at that quality yet, so just get a cheaper HD for the time being. 

I disagree.  Unless you're going to buy a Walmart TV then you buy a 4K one now.  There are plenty of very good 4K capable TV's that are reasonably priced.

@Gangrene if you give a size you're looking for and budget I can give you some options.  I research this stuff for fun and am in the market within the next 6 mos or so myself.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

I disagree.  Unless you're going to buy a Walmart TV then you buy a 4K one now.  There are plenty of very good 4K capable TV's that are reasonably priced.

Fair enough. I'll take your word.

I just bought a 60" Samsung 4K LED UHD 8550 last July'15 at Best Buy for $1403 off the rack minus the controller (ordered from Samsung $85) and I thought it was a STEAL since it was "marked" at $3,999. Everything else I saw in that size range with 4K UHD was in the $5-6K region. My mind was BLOWN and I feel I got a HEIST. I love it. 

There's not Wal-mart here in the city and I prefer seeing in person than online ordering a TV THAT size, so you probably saw better deals than I did. I really enjoy watching the Nature documentaries in 4K, simply stunning and incredible how colorful and rich the images they capture. 

19 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Fair enough. I'll take your word.

I just bought a 60" Samsung 4K LED UHD 8550 last July'15 at Best Buy for $1403 off the rack minus the controller (ordered from Samsung $85) and I thought it was a STEAL since it was "marked" at $3,999. Everything else I saw in that size range with 4K UHD was in the $5-6K region. My mind was BLOWN and I feel I got a HEIST. I love it. 

There's not Wal-mart here in the city and I prefer seeing in person than online ordering a TV THAT size, so you probably saw better deals than I did. I really enjoy watching the Nature documentaries in 4K, simply stunning and incredible how colorful and rich the images they capture. 

I was so tempted to spring for the 8000/8500 series, but since my purchase was for my bedroom, I went with the 7000.  Next year I plan to update my family room TV and I'll be reaching out to you for feedback on the 8500.

On 12/9/2016 at 11:13 PM, Pac said:

@Gangrene if you give a size you're looking for and budget I can give you some options.  I research this stuff for fun and am in the market within the next 6 mos or so myself.

55" likely $1,500 budget.

Apple have an iMac that has a 5K monitor, so does that follow that there will be televisions coming out that are 5K ?

Is that a reason to wait on 4K?

I wonder if the NFL will jumps in broadcast quality because at some point the image broadcast will be so lifelike, there will be less reasons to go to games except to tailgate.

47 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

55" likely $1,500 budget.

Vizio P 55-C1...

If you can increase your budget by a couple hundred get the P65-c1

Read the reviews...  handles both Dolby Vision and HDR10.  If that doesn't mean anything to you trust me - that's a good thing. 

Nothing currently available will come close to the performance in that price range.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Vizio P 55-C1...

If you can increase your budget by a couple hundred get the P65-c1

Read the reviews...  handles both Dolby Vision and HDR10.  If that doesn't mean anything to you trust me - that's a good thing. 

Nothing currently available will come close to the performance in that price range.

Cool, thanks Pac.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:47 PM, Gas2No99 said:

This - looked at some 4k tvs before the start of the season and the cost differential between the those and the HD ones just didn't make sense.  There's some real steals out there if you go regular HD particularly at the large sizes 60"+

This - looked at some 4k tvs before the start of the season and the cost differential between the those and the HD ones just didn't make sense.  There's some real steals out there if you go regular HD particularly at the large sizes 60"+

I have also looked at the 4K's for the last 6 months.

The ones they show you in-store have 4K feeds, and the picture is phenomenal!

Don't the networks have to broadcast in 4K to receive that picture?

Where the hell is SAR on this?

The LG I got is probably the best bang for your buck right now (sub $2.5K), and I'm not just saying that because I bought it. Lots of research went into my decision. And, IMO the picture on OLED 4K, even for non-4K content, is much better compared to standard LED.

http://4k.com/tv/lg-b6-review-flat-screen-2016-oled-4k-hdr-ultra-hd-tv-oled65b6p-oled55b6p/

9 hours ago, Jetworks said:

The LG I got is probably the best bang for your buck right now (sub $2.5K), and I'm not just saying that because I bought it. Lots of research went into my decision. And, IMO the picture on OLED 4K, even for non-4K content, is much better compared to standard LED.

http://4k.com/tv/lg-b6-review-flat-screen-2016-oled-4k-hdr-ultra-hd-tv-oled65b6p-oled55b6p/

Of course, it all depends how far you'll be sitting  from the TV.

Archived