Cheap winter vacations...

Beerfish

I haven't taken a winter get away from up here in Edmonton for a number of years but am determined to do so this winter, probably a week (unless I go to Hawaii).  I was thinking Palm Springs or some place in Florida, recommendations?  (It would just be myself and I'm more aligned with things like hiking or cycling or just laying on a beach or at the pool.  Not a big time partier.)

As an aside when does spring break take place?  I would probably want to avoid going to anywhere warm when the college kiddiwinks are partying it up.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I haven't taken a winter get away from up here in Edmonton for a number of years but am determined to do so this winter, probably a week (unless I go to Hawaii).  I was thinking Palm Springs or some place in Florida, recommendations?  (It would just be myself and I'm more aligned with things like hiking or cycling or just laying on a beach or at the pool.  Not a big time partier.)

As an aside when does spring break take place?  I would probably want to avoid going to anywhere warm when the college kiddiwinks are partying it up.

Now I'm an old fogy at the age of 28, but if I remember correctly Spring Break is usually the last week or two of March. As far as a vacation spot, I cant help. I use all my vacation time to go to jets games

Ever been to the Grand Canyon? The wife and I went about 10 years ago. As far as natural wonders go, it's badass. We did a bus-tour type thing but I'm sure there are lots of options for hiking and stuff like that. You could get a pretty cheap hotel around Las Vegas as well if you wanted to be around some other options for entertainment. I know Vegas has a party-city rep (and rightfully so), but hotel rates are usually reasonable and there are also lots of sights, activities and attractions available in the area even if you're not there to bang hookers and drink until you puke blood. 

As far as Florida goes, it's been a while since I've been down there but I'd imagine you'll want to stay away from the cheesy touristy crap like Orlando or Miami (unless you want to check out the Everglades), and just avoid the whole state altogether from mid-March to mid-April or so. The gulf side would probably be a little more low-key than the east coast as well. If you like history, museums and junk like that Tallahassee might not be a bad way to go. There's a national forest near there and it's pretty close to the gulf. 

I've never been to Palm Springs specifically but IMO a lot of things in California are just too damned expensive for what they're worth. I'm sure there are exceptions, though. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

When?  Charleston SC is pretty neat for 3 to 4 days.  St Petes Beach Fl  is kool.

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If you are into hiking and cycling, it's hard to beat southern California at that time of year.  While our beaches won't be as warm as Florida, Texas or Hawaii, the overall pleasant weather with low humidity make for the perfect atmosphere while doing the aforementioned activities.  As for Palm Springs specifically, it's a great place to hang by the pool, but if you want to hike in anything but desert, you'll have to travel quite a bit.  If you'd like more details or have questions - don't hesitate to ask!

Archived