Between family and the NFL

Terry

I was never an avid NFL fan.

I've gone to one NFL game in my life and that was 4 years ago - to the day - when my colleagues/friends had extra season opener tickets.   Jets vs Bills.  My wife had seen college games before, so she came in tow.  Two of them didn't bring their wives, though; "bundles of joy" being the reason.  Hence, the extra tickets.  

I remember that I was surprised at how barren the skyline around the Meadowlands stadium looked.  I remember the drive to the stadium more vividly than I remember the football game.  We started the trip talking about work and our new project manager.  Midway through the drive, the conversation turned to protection schemes, push-pull effects (not referring to the offensive line) of the offense, and the economics of NFL merchandising and its debt effects on local governments (like us).  And, of course, Tebow.  My wife was my Football translator the entire time, interpreting my friends' play-by-play, and her instruction was impressivley adept.  I was beginning to think I liked Football.

In retrospect, I wasn't so much as enamored about the game itself, as I was happy to see my colleagues and wife having a good time. 

And I realized later that their feelings were mutual.  My friends have long stopped going to games; I think they didn't even want to go to that Bills-Jets game without sharing it with someone.  Events such as these are really matters of social polity, a synergy like sympathetic harmonics, forming spectra into a crescendo.  We could enjoy it together in the safety and comfort of our home parties and at the bar.  The game itself was - in reality - the background noise, not the catalyst, never the reason.

There are more important reasons.

I have a daughter now, and we're expecting my son in the near future.

And as of last week, the NFL is banned from my House.

College Football too.

This is my last post, on Jetnation, of course.

It has nothing to do with "concussions", as I believe that the reasons for the spate of litigation has more to do with money than medicine.  As an engineer, I know as much as anyone that the litigation culture that forces us to devote so much of our time to "documentation" and bureaucracy.

Over the years, I've had my doubts about "Football", and professional Football specifically.  

No, I've come to the realization that it is the culture of the NFL and College Football that I have a problem with.

I will continue to participate in the local Highschool Football team activities.  None of their kids hail from the depraved culture that is part of professional Football.

"Black culture".

"Thug Culture".

"Gang Culture".

Whatever you want to call it.  I don't want my children stained with that filth.  I don't want them to admire it and make excuses for it.  I may have to pay for that stadium and the NFL's salaries through coercive taxes, but I'll be damned if I give them my child's soul.

Over my dead body.

We don't have a particularly large police Dept, but every one I've met is a professional who I wouldn't mind supping with - two of whom I've gotten to know more personally.  Some of my colleagues are vets, themselves with fellow colleagues who are now LEOs and security.  

They know their job: to keep the "football culture" out of our neighborhoods, and away from my family.

By the way, the subsidized owners of the NFL do the same with their billions, completely without shame or media scrutiny.  The journalists and PR representatives know not to bite the hand that feeds it.

My God, I intended to write a blurb, and here I've written an essay.  And someone is letting me know that dinner is almost ready.

A disturbing revelation: my wife used to admire College Football, used to idolize Football players from her Highschool, which led to admiration for college players who were nothing like her local, upstanding Football team.   I was actually stunned (maybe I shouldn't have been), she never really talked about it until recently.  As with any such gathering, its attraction was due social polity.  And by a stroke of fate, she says she might have easily fallen victim to Football's hellish culture.  It's horrifying when I think about it as she talks about how many depraved and fallen women (not just men) are in professional Football.

Our daughter will inevitably be exposed to it, but there is not a chance we will teach her to emulate it.  As for college, it's an avenue, but no longer a necessity.   College is a scam.  The truth is that I can teach my son Electromagnetics, Calculus, and Java better than any college ever could.  Heck, why not skip ahead and go straight to G-code?  Like any student, I never learned what I needed from college, I simply demonstrated the skills I had been learned from my father, my mentor, my job, self-taught, etc, skills I already had.   More and more companies realize this, and mine is offering apprenticeship programs which allow prospective students to bypass or escape the college system entirely (I should have saved my family and my company $100k).  

I wish it were my idea, but one of our number has decided to cancel his annual Superbowl party.  There's just no escape from the fact that we're slitting our own throats by bankrolling the NFL by participating in its product, beyond our already sky-high taxes and business affiliates.  There can only be so much isolation, of course, given the interlocking nature of the NFL and its owners limited liability investments- even among sports leagues I intend to continue following like the NHL and the MLB.  

But for me and my wife, among many others, the NFL-wide shunning of the National Anthem and the endorsement of a domestic terrorist group was the last straw.  

Dinner amidst home and hearth, before a reserved night out at the Bowling Alley with friends and family.

Who needs the NFL?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

fantasy football is carrying the nfl. Without fantasy, the sport would be dead.

this

people like to gamble......the advent of high speed wifi led to the proliferation of online fantasy leagues.....and what better way to win money than from one of your friends lol

14 minutes ago, Terry said:

I was never an avid NFL fan.

I've gone to one NFL game in my life and that was 4 years ago - to the day - when my colleagues/friends had extra season opener tickets.   Jets vs Bills.  My wife had seen college games before, so she came in tow.  Two of them didn't bring their wives, though; "bundles of joy" being the reason.  Hence, the extra tickets.  

I remember that I was surprised at how barren the skyline around the Meadowlands stadium looked.  I remember the drive to the stadium more vividly than I remember the football game.  We started the trip talking about work and our new project manager.  Midway through the drive, the conversation turned to protection schemes, push-pull effects (not referring to the offensive line) of the offense, and the economics of NFL merchandising and its debt effects on local governments (like us).  And, of course, Tebow.  My wife was my Football translator the entire time, interpreting my friends' play-by-play, and her instruction was impressivley adept.  I was beginning to think I liked Football.

In retrospect, I wasn't so much as enamored about the game itself, as I was happy to see my colleagues and wife having a good time. 

And I realized later that their feelings were mutual.  My friends have long stopped going to games; I think they didn't even want to go to that Bills-Jets game without sharing it with someone.  Events such as these are really matters of social polity, a synergy like sympathetic harmonics, forming spectra into a crescendo.  We could enjoy it together in the safety and comfort of our home parties and at the bar.  The game itself was - in reality - the background noise, not the catalyst, never the reason.

There are more important reasons.

I have a daughter now, and we're expecting my son in the near future.

And as of last week, the NFL is banned from my House.

College Football too.

This is my last post, on Jetnation, of course.

It has nothing to do with "concussions", as I believe that the reasons for the spate of litigation has more to do with money than medicine.  As an engineer, I know as much as anyone that the litigation culture that forces us to devote so much of our time to "documentation" and bureaucracy.

Over the years, I've had my doubts about "Football", and professional Football specifically.  

No, I've come to the realization that it is the culture of the NFL and College Football that I have a problem with.

I will continue to participate in the local Highschool Football team activities.  None of their kids hail from the depraved culture that is part of professional Football.

"Black culture".

"Thug Culture".

"Gang Culture".

Whatever you want to call it.  I don't want my children stained with that filth.  I don't want them to admire it and make excuses for it.  I may have to pay for that stadium and the NFL's salaries through coercive taxes, but I'll be damned if I give them my child's soul.

Over my dead body.

We don't have a particularly large police Dept, but every one I've met is a professional who I wouldn't mind supping with - two of whom I've gotten to know more personally.  Some of my colleagues are vets, themselves with fellow colleagues who are now LEOs and security.  

They know their job: to keep the "football culture" out of our neighborhoods, and away from my family.

By the way, the subsidized owners of the NFL do the same with their billions, completely without shame or media scrutiny.  The journalists and PR representatives know not to bite the hand that feeds it.

My God, I intended to write a blurb, and here I've written an essay.  And someone is letting me know that dinner is almost ready.

A disturbing revelation: my wife used to admire College Football, used to idolize Football players from her Highschool, which led to admiration for college players who were nothing like her local, upstanding Football team.   I was actually stunned (maybe I shouldn't have been), she never really talked about it until recently.  As with any such gathering, its attraction was due social polity.  And by a stroke of fate, she says she might have easily fallen victim to Football's hellish culture.  It's horrifying when I think about it as she talks about how many depraved and fallen women (not just men) are in professional Football.

Our daughter will inevitably be exposed to it, but there is not a chance we will teach her to emulate it.  As for college, it's an avenue, but no longer a necessity.   College is a scam.  The truth is that I can teach my son Electromagnetics, Calculus, and Java better than any college ever could.  Heck, why not skip ahead and go straight to G-code?  Like any student, I never learned what I needed from college, I simply demonstrated the skills I had been learned from my father, my mentor, my job, self-taught, etc, skills I already had.   More and more companies realize this, and mine is offering apprenticeship programs which allow prospective students to bypass or escape the college system entirely (I should have saved my family and my company $100k).  

I wish it were my idea, but one of our number has decided to cancel his annual Superbowl party.  There's just no escape from the fact that we're slitting our own throats by bankrolling the NFL by participating in its product, beyond our already sky-high taxes and business affiliates.  There can only be so much isolation, of course, given the interlocking nature of the NFL and its owners limited liability investments- even among sports leagues I intend to continue following like the NHL and the MLB.  

But for me and my wife, among many others, the NFL-wide shunning of the National Anthem and the endorsement of a domestic terrorist group was the last straw.  

Dinner amidst home and hearth, before a reserved night out at the Bowling Alley with friends and family.

Who needs the NFL?

Dude... you really need to start drinking heavily.

12 minutes ago, Terry said:

seriously wtf man.......you just sound bitter because your wife was a jersey chaser and "almost" hooked up with one of "dem there football players".......its 2016

For those that don't want to read OPs post, let me summarize.

- It starts out with what I think is a scene from The Notebook.  Lots of poignant dialogue.  Really pulls at the heartstrings.  It was quite touching.

- Then them terrorist coloreds show up, and they ruin football.

- It then goes all Brokeback Mountain, with him exploring his latent homosexual desires with those guys that watched football with him.  It turns out they were really interested in each other, not the game itself.

I think if he can shorten it a bit, and make it into a screenplay, it definitely has Oscar potential.

Interesting post, was just talking to a friend today about certain aspects of the game celebrations we see from many of our young players.

I mentioned to him about Cam last night and how I would love to see him find the Ref and hand him the ball after the TD and just walk off. To me that's just about as classy as it gets like "hey I done this before,no huge deal", aka Barry Sanders.

Yet I am old school, and it's a kids game after all. Yet ,what I really feel the NFL needs to ban

Is all this so called "signing". I am not sure it's all Gang related but its roots are there and we need not glorify that life

In regards to the original OP, I translate much of what he said into," I don't want my kids or family around black people". Surely another solid vote for Mr. Donald Trump and the new nationalism.

As far as not standing for the anthem, as a former veteran of the United States Air Force, I would become afraid, when people no longer have a choice to stand or sit.

Eventually that will lead to your papers please, no you can't read that book, can I see your passport, as you try to go from one state to the next.

Let us not lose a constitutional freedoms in the name of respect

There are many rules but few laws in this league. Once, driving with my wife in her dad's old '86 Impala, as I turned the knobs on the radio, she asked me about Lyle Alzado, and the more we spoke about Lyle, the more I wanted to be inside of her, there, in that car. My erection strained against the harsh texture of my corduroy pants. On the radio, Karen Carpenter was singing a song about peace. All I could think of was Lyle Alzado, cunnilingus, and how Vietnam had changed me. The Impala was going to die soon and my wife was expecting me to replace it with the new Chevy Malibu she saw at a dealership in Manasquan. 

But those were the salad days.

Lyle Alzado was a white man, a maniac, a drug abuser, an early addict of the crude steroids the Russians were using, which had rumored to cause their once petite gymnasts to sprout micro-penises. There was the Rodney King thing, and Watts, and Orchard Beach and this was before the Internet, so the newspapers and Tom Brokaw did all our heavy lifting. We were gladly and willfully naive. Bill O'Reilly was a regular news anchor, and Channel 11 WPIX. We had no idea. My wife laughed. We pulled over in the Vince Lombardi Rest Area and she rode me vigorously for ten minutes. This was late fall and the windows fogged quickly, and we were already late for the game, but I didn't care. The Jets have never been good in my lifetime. Neither was I. I have never been good, but in that moment, with her straddling my waist, cupping her breasts under her Wesley Walker jersey, I felt good. And that was enough: the transitory adoption of an otherwise untenable ideal. I came and she climbed off of me, and we got back on the turnpike. Wesley Walker was blind in one eye.

We drove again. Things were good.

I thought about thug culture. I slipped an EPMD cassette into the radio and played it loud, the coagulating semen gluing the head of my cock to the inside of my corduroys. Louis Farrakhan was always in the news, intentionally I suspected; a stand-in for what the Caucasian media wanted us to believe was the entirety of black society. He was angry and menacing, and those ostentatious glasses were everything terrible. He, with the help of the networks, made me posit the idea that, one day, a backup QB might protest the Star Spangled Banner. And I shuddered. What would I do? How would I feel? Would I ever get a job in the tech industry? I was young, then, and thinking these thoughts helped me grow up. I never even applied for a job in the tech industry. My wife was screaming at me about Ken O'Brien, about his advanced stats. I explained to her that advanced metrics weren't invented yet. We smiled, shared a joint, and I switched out EPMD for some Kool and the Gang. She asked me how I'd feel about her showing her t!ts on the spirals again. I wasn't pleased and I knew then that I loved her and always would. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There are many rules, but few laws in this league. Once, driving with my wife in her dad's old '86 Impala, as I turned the knobs on the radio, she asked me about Lyle Alzado, and the more we spoke about Lyle, the more I wanted to be inside of her, there, in that car. My erection strained against the harsh texture of my corduroy pants. On the radio, Karen Carpenter was singing a song about peace. All I could think of was Lyle Alzado, cunnilingus, and how Vietnam had changed me. The Impala was going to die soon and my wife was expecting me to replace it with the new Chevy Malibu she saw at a dealership in Manasquan. 

Lyle Alzado was a white man, a maniac, a drug abuser, an early addict of the crude steroids the Russians were using, which had rumored to cause their once petite gymnasts to sprout micro-penises. There was the Rodney King thing, and Watts, and Orchard Beach and this was before the Internet, so the newspapers and Tom Brokaw did all our heavy lifting. We were gladly and willfully naive. Bill O'Reilly was a regular news anchor, and Channel 11 WPIX. We had no idea. My wife laughed. We pulled over in the Vince Lombardi Rest Area and she rode me vigorously for ten minutes. This was late fall and the windows fogged quickly, and we were already late for the game, but I didn't care. The Jets have never been good in my lifetime. Neither was I. I have never been good, but in that moment, with her straddling my waist, cupping her breasts under her Wesley Walker jersey, I felt good. And that was enough: the transitory adoption of an otherwise untenable ideal. I came and she climbed off of me, and we got back on the turnpike. Wesley Walker was blind in one eye.

I thought about thug culture. I slipped an EPMD cassette into the radio and played it loud, the coagulating semen gluing the head of my cock to the inside of my corduroys. Louis Farrakhan was always in the news, intentionally I suspected; a stand-in for what the Caucasian media wanted us to believe was the entirety of black society. He was angry and menacing, and those ostentatious glasses were everything terrible. He, with the help of the networks, made me posit the idea that, one day, a backup QB might protest the Star Spangled Banner. And I shuddered. What would I do? How would I feel? Would I ever get a job in the tech industry? I was young, then, and thinking these thoughts helped me grow up. I never even applied for a job in the tech industry. My wife was screaming at me about Ken O'Brien, about his advanced stats. I explained to her that advanced metrics weren't invented yet. We smiled, shared a joint, and I switched out EPMD for some Kool and the Gang. She asked me how I'd feel about her showing her t!ts on the spirals again. I wasn't pleased and I knew then that I loved her and always would. 

uvFkpkz.gif

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The nfl product on the field nowadays is awful.  Case in point the game last night.  It was awful, boring etc.

fantasy football is carrying the nfl. Without fantasy, the sport would be dead.

I do enjoy watching the jets but i wouldnt watch a game outside of the jets if it wasnt for fantasy.

The game was great!!!!  21-20 what more can you ask for can I suggest tennis. 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There are many rules but few laws in this league. Once, driving with my wife in her dad's old '86 Impala, as I turned the knobs on the radio, she asked me about Lyle Alzado, and the more we spoke about Lyle, the more I wanted to be inside of her, there, in that car. My erection strained against the harsh texture of my corduroy pants. On the radio, Karen Carpenter was singing a song about peace. All I could think of was Lyle Alzado, cunnilingus, and how Vietnam had changed me. The Impala was going to die soon and my wife was expecting me to replace it with the new Chevy Malibu she saw at a dealership in Manasquan. 

You need help man real help. 

That was some funny stuff but it does show you need help :) 

This can go about 1 or 2 ways:

1.  Gets political and shut down.  

2.  It gets personal with some attacks, before it gets shut-down

I'm gonna try to keep it short, so this gets posted before being closed.  

Football, much like TV, movies, radio, music etc are just a form of entertainment.  If you idolize these people, then the problem lays with the lack of leadership in one's life.  If there is a controversy, I couldn't care less what Kapernick thinks or new stations think.  In most cases, think of the incentives these people have in promoting ideas.  They earn their living by promoting sensationalized news, now more than ever.  It's not like the 90's, where you just wanted to find out what was going on around you.  You have instant access to those types of news with your phone, twitter, facebook, and every other social media outlet.  The news agencies need to promote a story through sensationalizing it, and most people fall for it hook line and sinker.  

Do I care what Kapernick thinks?  Nope.  He has a right to protest whatever, and I have a right to dislike it or ignore it.  

Do I care what kind of movements go on?  Nope.  People protest about anything and everything.  As long as it doesn't affect my encounters with anyone, I'm totally fine.  Infact, there was a "women's rights advocacy" protesting for the right of women to walk around topless.  Like men were somehow oppressing this idea.  

And taking it one step further, why does anyone care what the NFL thinks?  I watch the NFL to watch football, not glean life advice.  If Odell Beckham dyes his hair pink, not like I'm running out to my local Walgreens for hair color.  Or should I buy Beats headphones because NFL players promoted it?  Or should I research quality first?  I know there are tons of people that buy into the celebrity endorsement lifestyle, but that's their failure.  If my wife buys something endorsed by say Kim Kardashian or Paula Dean, but it's an inferior product, I would blame her for making that decision and not the advertisers.  

What I take from you post is that, you weren't a big football fan, and the priorities of your wife changed as she grew older and her kids grew older.  It makes sense for you to seek out other opportunities for entertainment, that's perfectly normal.  Every industry has lobby power, and controls your life.  I see this more like, my wife used to like romantic comedies and I went along, and now she wants more dramatic movies, so we're moving on.  I would have personally tried to instill that these people are not heroes, because they hit a genetic lottery that made them bigger and faster (or in other fields, sing better or dance or jump or anything) but rather entertainers.  They get paid to entertain people, much like doctors get paid to treat people or mechanics fix my car.  These people do a job, and move on.  

I do think it's noble that you are being active with your dislike for the NFL, because if you disagree with any corporation, the best way to hit them is not giving them any money.  So by not spending money on apparel or tickets, you aren't being a hypocrite like many who hate corporations, yet buy their products because it's convenient in the long run.  Wish you success with the plan.  

Since, it's close to the 9/11 anniversary, thought this was appropriate.  (NSFW- language)

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhh me too I almost pissed my pants.

T0mShane for PRESIDENT

I love this line..

"Lyle Alzado was a white man, a maniac, a drug abuser, an early addict of the crude steroids the Russians were using, which had rumored to cause their once petite gymnasts to sprout micro-penises."

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I love this line..

"Lyle Alzado was a white man, a maniac, a drug abuser, an early addict of the crude steroids the Russians were using, which had rumored to cause their once petite gymnasts to sprout micro-penises."

This one buckled me over in laughter 

"I slipped an EPMD cassette into the radio and played it loud, the coagulating semen gluing the head of my cock to the inside of my corduroys."

Imagine the look on Terry's face when his prim and proper, incorruptible, sweet-heart, cupcake of a daughter brings home Bronx high school legend Shaq'won Howard, 3 star offensive line recruit from Big State..."daddy,....you remember that guy i was telling you about....well.........i....want  you to meet my....."

depressed-old-man-hand-face-19898072.jpg

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

er how about this addendum?

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There many rules but few outlaws in the league any more.  Once we had The Snake, Namath when he was still cool, the Mad Bomber, and many more AFL desperadoes, the kind of rebels and rejects with a chip on their shoulders who had been spit out of the NFL or passed over altogether like some many painted old whores in Storyville.  Now look at things.  Why just the other day I was thinking about last season when I had quit drinking for the millionth time and like I was really jonesing for something a bump a hit anything man and I had like no money and some guy from work asked if I would like to use one of the two tickets that the boss had given him, so I said yes, even though I only had 20 dollars left in my pocket because of all of the gambling, not to mention drinking and drugging, even though it was payday, my money was already spoken for, and then we went to the game that Sunday and even though I was shaky and broke I bought us two beers right before the game started, and then I sort of downed my drink because of all the jonesing, but that fu**er he just calmly took the half to finish off his beer and then at halftime he went and got himself another and didnt get me one so all I did for the second half was think about that second beer he was drinking  and could not even see the game being played in front of me and finally I couldnt take it any more and I thought to myself what would Lyle have done what would Lyle "Mad Dog" Alzado have done in this situation so I turned to the gym my teeth flashing demonically in the afternoon sun and I smashed his teeth in just like that and then I kicked him as he tried to cower under the seats and I kicked him some more screaming " you cheap f**k" over and over and I almost thought of ripping off his toupee with my bare hands but I realized I had made my point but you know what after all that I had ended up spilling the plastic cup of beer he was drinking so it was then that I suddenly realized with the deepest chagrin there are no heroes anymore left in America and that everything is as meaningless now as a spilled over plastic cup of warm NFL beer.

Just now, Cornfed said:

TL;DR

Seriously, too long.  What was the point?  It's football season.  Take care of your family, as always.  There is what's important (family, health, safety).  And there's everything else.

I hope all is well.  If not, please take care.  Let me know how I can help.

If not, the GO J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived