Let's get a couple of things straight

UnitedWhofans

43 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is where people dont see the forest for the trees. There are talented veterans on this team, but the reasoning is not to win now. It is to buy time for him to get younger talent without using the "rebuilding" word that will send the fanbase and the media into a tizzy.

All of these veterans are signed on short term deals and will be off the cap in a few years.

This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team.

No. You're wrong, and that reply makes you sound insane. 

Macc has made poor decisions. Accept that. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Perfectly stated.

If only we had gone 7-9 last year like we were supposed to, people's heads would have been on straight for this year.

SAR I

Like you even have the faintest clue what we're doing from a draft and FA standpoint. 

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's always too soon to tell until it's time to rent an airplane. Jets fans are such saps.

No, some Jets fans are just suckers.

How many times do you need to see Al Groh leave, a rebuild start, Herman Edwards arrive, and accidentally make the playoffs?  Edwards turned into Mangini.  Rebuild.  Playoffs.  Mangini turned into Ryan.  Rebuild.  Playoffs.  Ryan turned into Bowles.  Rebuild.  10 wins.  And each time? 

The year after the shocking success fans declare us a "win now!" team, we load up on free agents, expectations go sky high, then CRASH, we are worse off than before. You "year after" types are sooooo gullible.

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Suckers.

SAR I

21 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

5. I think all OC's are hated at one point or another. Name me a good OC that has a QB at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick. All I know is this. Jets used to struggle to score 17 points a game. Now they regularly score in the 20s.

This is true, and I'm guilty of it as well. If an offensive play doesn't work, it's easy to blame the play call. Rarely (if ever) do the fans blame the play call when the defense fails. In those cases, it's always a missed tackle, assignment, etc., from a player. 

Chan does a good job for what he's got to work with. 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

No, some Jets fans are just "the year after" suckers.

How many times do you need to see Al Groh leave, a rebuild start, Herman Edwards arrive, and accidentally make the playoffs?  Edwards turned into Mangini.  Rebuild.  Playoffs.  Mangini turned into Ryan.  Rebuild.  Playoffs.  Ryan turned into Bowles.  Rebuild.  10 wins.  And each time?  The year after the shocking success fans declare us a "win now!" team, we load up on free agents, expectations go sky high, then CRASH, we are worse off than before. 

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Suckers.

SAR I

You almost got there. Left out the part where you say 'but THIS time it's different.' 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Like you even have the faintest clue what we're doing from a draft and FA standpoint. 

What, it's that hard to figure out?

We are rebuilding on the fly, as we should, as all teams who don't have a franchise quarterback should.  Unless you are tanking completely to get the #1 overall pick which if the right quarterback in the right year can change your life for a decade.  The thought that you actually believe that the Jets think they are a win-now Super Bowl contender 17 games after John Idzik destroyed our team really calls into question who here doesn't have the 'faintest clue'. 

Yeah, the Jets brass decided that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the guy to get us to the promised land and are quickly building around him.  LOL.  My fingers were laughing as I typed that.

SAR I

47 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is where people dont see the forest for the trees. There are talented veterans on this team, but the reasoning is not to win now. It is to buy time for him to get younger talent without using the "rebuilding" word that will send the fanbase and the media into a tizzy.

All of these veterans are signed on short term deals and will be off the cap in a few years.

This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team.

Agree. This is something I've been saying all offseason: this isn't a win now team, it's a compete now team. They want to remain competitive while simultaneously overhauling the roster. Sure, lots of "name players" on this team, but also a ton of rookies and second year players. Fitzpatrick's contract is the major head scratcher in this respect, but his job is to mentor and protect (read: keep off the field) the QBs behind him on the depth chart. Geno, the other major head scratcher, is also here to keep the kids off the field before they're ready. 

These guys are very focused on the future, knowing they only have a future if they remain competitive in the interim. 

7 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You almost got there. Left out the part where you say 'but THIS time it's different.' 

No, it's not.  I wish it was, but it's not.

The prior three times fans got suckered into "the year after" syndrome at the very least they had established or first round QB's to get all starry-eyed and dreamy about.  Chad Pennington, first rounder.  Brett Favre, MVP.  Mark Sanchez, first rounder.  In all instances you had a guy that the majority of GM's in the NFL would believe had a shot to get to greatness, you could read the right articles, you could feel all tingly, you could dream.

Your quarterback is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

While Fitz isn't the worst QB in the league or anything, your point about him is exactly why I don't want him: he's just a one-year rental. A one-year rental that won't get us to even the playoffs, and will rob Petty and possibly (unlikely) Hack of valuable playing time.

There is literally no reason to keep him around. If we were competitive? Sure. Am I saying to tank every season where you won't win the SB? No. But at least give younger guys playing time.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

What, it's that hard to figure out?

We are rebuilding on the fly, as we should, as all teams who don't have a franchise quarterback should.  Unless you are tanking completely to get the #1 overall pick which if the right quarterback in the right year can change your life for a decade.  The thought that you actually believe that the Jets think they are a win-now Super Bowl contender 17 games after John Idzik destroyed our team really calls into question who here doesn't have the 'faintest clue'. 

Yeah, the Jets brass decided that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the guy to get us to the promised land and are quickly building around him.  LOL.  My fingers were laughing as I typed that.

SAR I

What the fck is buiding on the fly? What are you, 22? Is that you walk into the regional meetings proposing... "Hey guys, why don't we just build on the fly?... It's only a 100 million dollars, fck me right?"

You either think you're a few pieces away from going after the big prize, or you're looking to reshape the team. Our GM and team CLEARLY thought we were a few pieces away, and somehow felt Hinderberg was a good "ace up the sleeve"... which says everything about how plugged in they are. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What the fck is buiding on the fly? What are you, 22? Is that you walk into the regional meetings proposing... "Hey guys, why don't we just build on the fly?... It's only a 100 million dollars, fck me right?"

You either think you're a few pieces away from going after the big prize, or you're looking to reshape the team. Our GM and team CLEARLY thought we were a few pieces away, and somehow felt Hinderberg was a good "ace up the sleeve"... which says everything about how plugged in they are. 

Or our GM inherited a 4-12 disaster with depleted draft picks and a ton of cap room and did the only logical thing-  went free agent shopping to fix some needs like DB, NT, QB, and RB to at least be marginally competitive and placate the fans, not to load up on a Super Bowl run.

You "the year after" zealots really are an amazing bunch, you make the Geno Myhero's look rational.  "We were 4-12 but now we are 10-6 so that means we are ready to go 16-0 this is the year!"  ROFL.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is your quarterback.  You realize this, yes?

SAR I

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree. This is something I've been saying all offseason: this isn't a win now team, it's a compete now team. They want to remain competitive while simultaneously overhauling the roster. Sure, lots of "name players" on this team, but also a ton of rookies and second year players. Fitzpatrick's contract is the major head scratcher in this respect, but his job is to mentor and protect (read: keep off the field) the QBs behind him on the depth chart. Geno, the other major head scratcher, is also here to keep the kids off the field before they're ready. 

These guys are very focused on the future, knowing they only have a future if they remain competitive in the interim. 

Having Fitzpatrick keep the drafted quarterbacks off the field is partially in service of staying employed. Again, saps. Absence of evidence is evidence of awesome.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Or our GM inherited a 4-12 disaster with depleted draft picks and a ton of cap room and did the only logical thing-  went free agent shopping to fix some needs like DB, NT, QB, and RB to at least be marginally competitive and placate the fans, not to load up on a Super Bowl run.

You "the year after" zealots really are an amazing bunch, you make the Geno Myhero's look rational.  "We were 4-12 but now we are 10-6 so that means we are ready to go 16-0 this is the year!"  ROFL.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is your quarterback.  You realize this, yes?

SAR I

Nobody forced Mike's hand. He made choices on how best to approach managing the team. Some of them have been very positive. Some have not. Unless you're a knuckle-dragger, you understand what I'm saying. He overplayed his "compete now" hand, and it's left the team fractured in certain areas. 

I'll be sure propose the "rebuilding on the fly" model at the next district conference though. Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The problem is that New York fans and the media don't have the patience for reshaping the team. So you have to do it at the same time of being competitive in order to keep fans reasonably happy.

It really is like what the Yankees are trying to do right now. Compete and rebuild

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Having Fitzpatrick keep the drafted quarterbacks off the field is partially in service of staying employed. Again, saps. Absence of evidence is evidence of awesome.

While I haven't written off the two QBs they've drafted, I agree. Which is why I said they know they only have a future if they remain competitive in the short term. Fitzpatrick's popularity provides them cover, even if he bombs. If Geno had the identical game that Fitz just had against Cincinnati, the torches and pitchforks would be out from all the people who've been defending that crap performance. 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nobody forced Mike's hand. He made choices on how best to approach managing the team. Some of them have been very positive. Some have not. Unless you're a knuckle-dragger, you understand what I'm saying. He overplayed his "compete now" hand, and it's left the team fractured in certain areas. 

I'll be sure propose the "rebuilding on the fly" model at the next district conference though. Thanks. 

Certain areas that will be reinforced with young talent. Already did it with the LB corps and WRs. Next, CBs and OL

2 minutes ago, slats said:

While I haven't written off the two QBs they've drafted, I agree. Which is why I said they know they only have a future if they remain competitive in the short term. Fitzpatrick's popularity provides them cover, even if he bombs. If Geno had the identical game that Fitz just had against Cincinnati, the torches and pitchforks would be out from all the people who've been defending that crap performance. 

image matters.  but with this schedule, fitz's mediocrity won't trump his popularity for long.  there's a reason mccags only gave him a 1 year deal.  and if fitz is replaced it won't be geno.  geno is not seeing the field unless there's an injury.

Certain areas that will be reinforced with young talent. Already did it with the LB corps and WRs. Next, CBs and OL

Gosh! You're right buddy. What was I even thinking?? Obviously Macc has been flawless. Calculating beyond reproach.

My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Gosh! You're right buddy. What was I even thinking?? Obviously Macc has has been flawless. Calculating beyond reproach.

My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't say he was flawless. Moves don't work out. Devin Smith right now is the biggest black mark on his resume. 

Hackenberg could be but I wouldn't be surprised if he drafts another QB next year. The Ron Wolf method

4 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

He missed a WIDE open Kellen Davis when he overthrew Marshall - it was the easiest TD of the day if he wasn't myopic.

that's assuming Davis catches it which is not a sure thing.  he should not be on this team

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

image matters.  but with this schedule, fitz's mediocrity won't trump his popularity for long.  there's a reason mccags only gave him a 1 year deal.  and if fitz is replaced it won't be geno.  geno is not seeing the field unless there's an injury.

The reason he only got a one year deal is because he refused the 3/$24M the Jets wanted to give him. 

But yes, if Fitz is pulled for performance at any point of this season (I'd think the Jets would have to be mathematically -or close to it- eliminated first), it will most likely be for Petty. Geno is here if Fitz gets hurt early, or gets hurt while the team is competing for a playoff spot. If they're losing a lot of games and look to make a move a QB, it wouldn't surprise me if Geno was released at that point, as his usefulness would've expired. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

The reason he only got a one year deal is because he refused the 3/$24M the Jets wanted to give him. 

But yes, if Fitz is pulled for performance at any point of this season (I'd think the Jets would have to be mathematically -or close to it- eliminated first), it will most likely be for Petty. Geno is here if Fitz gets hurt early, or gets hurt while the team is competing for a playoff spot. If they're losing a lot of games and look to make a move a QB, it wouldn't surprise me if Geno was released at that point, as his usefulness would've expired. 

geno has no trade value b/c he stinks and is in the last year of his contract.  i can see him being released at some point this season.

What my worry is that if the Jets do get only 5-6 wins, that the fans and media will force Woody to overreact and fire everybody. Then back to limbo.

This is a fanbase that took hard earned money and used it to buy billboards and a plane telling them to fire their GM. They are dangerous, especially to an owner who relies on them to pay the costs.

BTW, another reason why I think the Jets would be better off in another place. They would be the only ticket in town

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What my worry is that if the Jets do get only 5-6 wins, that the fans and media will force Woody to overreact and fire everybody. Then back to limbo.

This is a fanbase that took hard earned money and used it to buy billboards and a plane telling them to fire their GM. They are dangerous, especially to an owner who relies on them to pay the costs.

BTW, another reason why I think the Jets would be better off in another place. They would be the only ticket in town

the panic around here reminds me of 2010 after we lost that 1 pt game to Baltimore opening night.  this team is very talented, barring disastrous injuries we won't be anywhere near 5-6 wins.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

While Fitz isn't the worst QB in the league or anything, your point about him is exactly why I don't want him: he's just a one-year rental. A one-year rental that won't get us to even the playoffs, and will rob Petty and possibly (unlikely) Hack of valuable playing time.

There is literally no reason to keep him around. If we were competitive? Sure. Am I saying to tank every season where you won't win the SB? No. But at least give younger guys playing time.

Good post and we're going to cross that threshold soon methinks.  And not because Fitzpatrick is playing badly, but because at 0-4 or 0-5 it's one of those situations where you need to make a change for the sake of change, see if Petty gives the team a spark and (at the very least) helps you validate whether or not he's a guy to keep investing in next year or if we have to draft another QB in April.

SAR I

Archived