Quincy Enunwa & Darron Lee ~ ~ ~

kelly

The Jets' offense in 2015 was arguably the best in franchise history. 

And ask any member of that unit, and they'll tell you they could have been better. Sure, they had a quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick and two top-notch receivers in Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. But they didn't have a legitimate third pass-catching option after them. 

It was Decker, Marshall, or nobody. 

In 2016, that's not the case. And the Jets have Quincy Enunwa to thank for it.

"He's our unsung hero," Marshall said after the Jets 37-31 victory over the Bills Thursday night. "You would think it would be myself, Matt Forte or Decker that open up the offense, but it's really No. 81." 

Originally a sixth-round pick by the Jets in the 2014 NFL Draft, Enunwa has broken out in this his third season. He essentially redshirted as a rookie, then saw spot duty as a blocker and occasional receiver in 2015— he caught 22 passes for 217 yards. This year, though, Enunwa is an integral part of the offense. He has already caught 13 passes for 146 yards and a touchdown in two games.

Those 13 grabs lead the team. Yes, through two games, Enunwa has more catches than Decker and Marshall.At 6-2 and 225 pounds, Enunwa has an impressive skill set. He's stocky and strong, but fast. He's too physical to be covered by cornerbacks and safeties, but too quick for linebackers. He's a matchup nightmare, and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey puts him in near countless positions to make plays. 

Sometimes, Enunwa lines up as a receiver outside. A play or two later, he'll be in the slot. Then, he'll play H-back. He's all over the place, and that's only helping the Jets' other playmakers. "He needs to continue to make plays and take advantage of one-on-one coverage, because he is going to get it," Marshall said. "He's going to make all of our jobs easier. We're happy to have that guy." 

When Enunwa first arrived at One Jets Drive, he was physically gifted, but not fine tuned. His route running was off, and his catching technique needed work. He could do all the things coaches can't teach, which is what made him worth the project. The Jets put in the time developing him, and now they're reaping the rewards. 

Head coach Todd Bowles said Enunwa was the "X-factor" Thursday night after he caught six passes (tied a career high) for 92 yards (career high). Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick praised Enunwa's strong hands and joked that he thinks Enunwa is going to "pop the ball" each time he catches it.For the first time in a long time, the Jets look to have a complete offense. They aren't just a passing team, or a running team, they've got it all. And Enunwa is what completes it. 

"He's a physical specimen," Decker said. "He understands coverages, his role and why he's doing it. When those things slow down and you have confidence, the result is what that was on the field tonight. "He made some big plays. He got us going. He's a huge weapon for us."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_have_found_their_3rd_option_on_offense_quincy.html#incart_river_index

The Quincy Enunwa effect was apparent on Ryan Fitzpatrick's first completion on Thursday night.

On a third-and-10, the Buffalo Bills were preoccupied with Eric Deckerand Brandon Marshall, one of the top receiving tandems in the NFL. Marshall, split to the right, was covered by No. 1 corner Ronald Darby, with a safety providing deep help. Decker, in the left slot, drew the most attention on this particular play -- a straight-up double team.

To Decker's left, Enunwa was left in single coverage, covered by cornerback Stephon Gilmore. Fitzpatrick recognized it immediately and they hooked up for 34 yards, with Enunwa making a terrific, falling-backward catch.

Welcome to the new dynamic in the New York Jets' passing attack.

In Enunwa, the Jets have found a legitimate No. 3 option, a pass-catcher good enough to make a defense pay a price for overplaying Decker and Marshall. After two games, Enunwa leads the team with 13 receptions, the kind of production that might cause opponents to re-think their strategy. He's the key to their passing offense, according to Marshall."That's what we didn't have last year," Marshall said. "We didn't have a No. 3 guy, we didn't have a No. 4 guy. Quincy was our unsung hero last year, but it was just in the running game. Now we're getting him involved in the passing game.

"You would think that it would be myself or Matt Forte or Decker that opens up the offense, but it's really 81 [Enunwa]. If he can continue to make these plays and continue to take advantage of one-on-one coverage -- because he's going to get it -- it's going to make all of our jobs easier."

A quick study of the all-22 tape of the Jets' 37-31 win over the Bills illustrates how Enunwa can thrive in the offense. There were plays in which Decker and Marshall drew four defenders in the middle of the field -- a box-like coverage -- with Enunwa singled up on the perimeter. Clearly, Fitzpatrick trusts him; he kept feeding him the ball in key situations.When the Bills finally started to pay attention to Enunwa, Fitzpatrick started throwing to Decker and Marshall. The result was one of the most prolific offensive days in recent memory. Decker (126 yards), Marshall (101) and Enunwa (92) eclipsed the 300 mark for receiving.

"He's just got such strong hands," Fitzpatrick said of Enunwa. "It looks like he's trying to pop the ball every time he catches it."It has been a long time since the Jets had a playmaker in the so-called No. 3 role. The only season since 2000 in which they had three players with at least 50 catches (we're talking wide receivers and tight ends) was 2010. That year, they had Dustin Keller (55 catches), Braylon Edwards (53) and Santonio Holmes (52). Jerricho Cotchery (41) wasn't far behind.

At their current pace, they will obliterate those numbers. It'll get tougher in the coming weeks, though, because their next two opponents -- Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawks -- have very good secondaries.

Enunwa, a sixth-round draft pick in 2014 who did nothing as a rookie and made 22 receptions last season, was a well-kept secret in the offseason. Teammates buzzed about his potential, but no one outside the organization knew much about him."He has worked on his craft," coach Todd Bowles said. "He worked on his hands and everything in the offseason. He worked on his feet, he worked on his route-running. He's a tireless worker. A lot of things he's doing now are paying off from the offseason."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63227/how-quincy-enunwa-gives-the-jets-a-three-dimensional-passing-offense

We promise, eventually we will get on a consistent schedule for these Jets mailbags. 

With the Jets playing Thursday night as opposed to Sunday, we had to call a bit of an audible regarding the normally-scheduled Saturday Q&A. Let's dive right into the questions now : 

@Connor_J_Hughes over/under 8 TDs for Enunwa if healthy all year

HUGHES : It's entirely possible. Personally, I think Enunwa's hot start will start to fizzle down. B that's just, like, my opinion, man (hope all get the reference).When trying to figure out if a receiver is for real or not early in the season, don't look at his catches, yards and touchdowns, but rather his targets. The more targets, the more the offense is trying to get him involved.

Enunwa is averaging about seven a game. That's good, but nothing crazy. I think that number is pretty accurate for how often Fitzpatrick will throw to him each week— assuming Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Matt Forte stay healthy. Some days he'll catch four of those, maybe five. Other times he'll catch six. I think when all is said and done, 50-60 catches for 800 or 900 yards and five touchdowns is more likely

rest of above article : 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/how_impressive_has_darron_lee_been_will_quincy_enu.html#incart_river_index

@Connor_J_Hughes I know he looked good on TV but in person, how impressed were you by Darron Lee. Very excited about his future.

There was a lot of receiving talent on the sideline Monday for the New York Jets, as neither Brandon Marshall (knee) nor Eric Decker (shoulder) practiced. Don't jump to doomsday conclusions just yet. It's a long week, coming off the mini-bye, and the expectation is that both players will be ready for the Kansas City Chiefs.

"You have to ask them, but I'm sure they'll be all right," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said.

Marshall, who twisted his left knee in Thursday night's win over the Buffalo Bills, said he didn't have an MRI exam, which confirms it's not a major injury. The Jets have termed it a minor sprain without giving a specific diagnosis. Pro Football Talk reported that it's a sprained MCL. Coach Todd Bowles said that's not what he heard from the team doctors. Marshall would neither confirm nor deny it's his MCL, claiming he wasn't given a diagnosis.

"Structurally, we feel like I'm OK," he said.

Marshall said he can't afford to miss any time because he could lose his job to "little Quincy" -- meaning Quincy Enunwa. Presumably, he was joking -- or half-joking."If I take any time off, I might not have a job," said Marshall, remembering how he leapfrogged injured veterans Rod Smith and Javon Walker with the Denver Broncos in 2007. "I can't let little Quincy take my spot right now, so I'm going to work really hard to get out there as fast as possible."

Surprisingly, Enunwa leads the team with 13 receptions. Marshall (nine) and Decker (eight) aren't far behind.

"Those guys are playing lights out right now," Marshall said. "I really feel like I'm the third receiver."

Marshall reiterated what he said after the game, saying he feared a major injury because of the initial pain. He was grabbed by he facemask and was tackled in an awkward position. He saw a picture of the play, wondering how he avoided significant damage."Anything better than having surgery is a blessing," he said. "I smile. I keep looking at that picture and that play and I'm so thankful I'm able to be in this locker room, preparing with these guys. It's just a blessing, man. I'm going into year 11 and I didn't want it to end that way, so anything other than surgery is going to keep a smile on my face."

Marshall said his knee and leg were twisted "in so many different ways ... I thought everything was pretty much gone." He returned to the game a few minutes later and made a few key catches in the victory.As for Decker, he played 73 of 75 offensive snaps against the Bills. There was no mention of an injury until Monday. Bowles said he wasn't aware of it until after the game. Left guard James Carpenter (calf) and linebacker Erin Henderson(foot) also didn't practice on Monday, but there's optimism regarding their chances for Sunday.

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63239/jets-brandon-marshall-cant-afford-to-sit-because-little-quincy-is-lurking 

Darron Lee  is certainly not being saved by the Jets for a rainy day.

The Jets' first-round linebacker has played in more than three-quarters of the defense's plays the first two games, leads the unit with 10 solo tackles and is tied for the lead with 12 total tackles. He also got his first pro start against the Bills, even if it was a "scheme" start.But while No. 50 has flashed to the ball well at the start of his pro career, one of his biggest plays to date came while buried in the middle of the fourth-and-1 scrum from the Jets 45 with seven minutes to play at Buffalo. Lee described the play this way after today's practice:

"I initially had to tackle the guard because he was the lead blocker for [LeSean] McCoy. I knew I had to stop him because if there was nobody there, they would've gotten the first down easy. I knew it was short when we stopped him. Then they spotted the ball — that might've been a little generous. But I just went, 'There's no way they got it.' "
Lee was right. With him and his teammates forming a forward wall and  Sheldon Richardson  holding McCoy from behind, the Bills gambled and lost by about two inches.

"It was amazing," Lee said. "I was hootin' and hollerin'."

The Ohio State product has been a key contributor to the Jets' third-down defense, which, except for some longball glitches on the back end, has been as sturdy this year, ranked sixth in the NFL in giving up a 28.6% conversion rate, as last year, when the Green & White finished third.Additionally, the Jets have been the proverbial green wall on third-and-1/fourth-and-1, stopping four straight plays by the Bills in those situations. On third-and-1 last season the Jets allowed a franchise-low 43.5% conversion rate (10-for-23). So far this year opponents are 0-for-3.

Head coach Todd Bowles said Lee has taken well to the pro game.

"He's a good athlete. He's going to run to the ball. That's one thing we try to do is run to the football," Bowles said. "He's still learning some things, thinking a little bit instead of pulling the trigger. But the times he's pulled the trigger, he's played good."Lee and the defense face their next challenge from the Chiefs, who have struggled to convert the same percentage of third downs, 28.6%, as the Jets have allowed. But they have one dangerous back in Spencer Ware and the possible return of the NFL's all-time yards/carry back in Jamaal Charles.

"Charles is a very shifty guy, very fast in space. They lean on him a lot, so I know they'd be pretty excited to get him back. Ware runs very hard and all their backs run hard," Lee analyzed like a vet. "For them as an offense, the ball comes out very quick. The tight end, [Travis] Kelce, makes a lot of plays for them. And No. 10 [Tyreek Hill] is very fast. We just put in our game plan today, and all that stuff we've already taken note of and we're preparing for."And Lee is preparing to contribute more in his third pro game than he did in his second.

"They're not babying me, not at all," he said. "And I'm glad to be here and help."

>        http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Darron-Lee-Has-Been-Thrown-into-the-Fray/5d76138b-fb3f-42f0-a4e8-d054b9e3901d

-- Fantasy football owners aren't real fans, according toNew York Jets wide receiver Quincy Enunwa.

Enunwa's emergence in the first two games has made him a popular fantasy pickup. He appreciates the love, but he doesn't care for the fickle nature of the industry."I hate that," he said. "I mean, it's cool because it has more people following you, so more people want to see, 'How's Quincy going to do?' But at the same time, those aren't fans. The minute I don't get enough points for their fantasy league, I hear it. That's almost like, 'OK, I'm blocking you [on Twitter].'"

Enunwa played fantasy football in 2014, when he was riding the bench as a rookie. He called it "fun," adding, "I'm not knocking anyone who plays it, but I just don't care to hear about it."The only thing he cares about his racking up numbers for the team that employs him, and he's off to a fantastic start -- a team-high 13 receptions, 146 yards and one touchdown. The former sixth-round pick entered the season with only 22 career catches.

Enunwa plays a hybrid role in the Jets' offense, and he's often asked, "What are you, a wide receiver or a tight end?" He has a good answer  :

"I'm a playmaker."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63313/quincy-enunwa-wants-to-be-playmaker-for-jets-not-your-fantasy-team

Brandon Marshall , with his knee and foot issues from Buffalo, did not practice again today. So who besides Marshall is better to go to in the Jets locker room to talk about it than the wide receiver who might fill in for him?"If Brandon's out, I'll prepare the same way as I've been,"  Quincy Enunwa  said after today's practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. "He's been working to get back as fast as possible. I don't think that really going to affect anything that happens in the game. We're going to work the same way we have been."

The Jets wideouts have been working pretty fine so far. Marshall and  Eric Decker  everyone knows about, but through two games, Enunwa is validating the preseason plaudits that came his way from head coach Todd Bowles, coordinator Chan Gailey, QB  Ryan Fitzpatrick , Marshall and Decker.In Week 1 vs. Cincinnati, "Q" set a personal best with seven receptions and scored his first pro touchdown. In Week 2 at Buffalo, he set another personal best with his 92 receiving yards. He's answered questions about who the Jets' No. 3 wideout is, and he's allaying fears fans might have if he has to move into the starting lineup."I don't want to get too high.

It's only been two weeks," Enunwa said. "My focus right now is to stay consistent. Going into the season, I really wanted to make sure I was getting better every week, so that's the idea."And what if they come up with a new position name for the way he throws his 6'2", 225-pound frame around while receiving or blocking?"That's be cool if it happens," he said, adding after savoring the thought, "I don't want to put labels on anything. I just want to play."

rest of above article  :  

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Notes--Quotes-Enunwa-Ready-if-Needed/4f521d3c-a0dc-4b3c-a5dd-addf323e6a21

— Sitting by his locker earlier this week, Jets rookie linebacker Darron Lee wanted to set the record straight. 

There is a difference between a mobile quarterback, and a scrambling quarterback. Last week, the Jets played a scrambler in the Bills' Tyrod Taylor. This week, they'll face a mobile guy in the Chiefs' Alex Smith. 

Both types of quarterbacks have speed. Both types of quarterbacks are talented.

But both are not defended the same way.

"A scrambler is going to break the line of scrimmage and try to make a guy or two miss before he goes down," Lee told NJ Advance Media. "A mobile guy runs to extend the play."Smith, who is now in his 12th NFL season, is one of the more deceptively-athletic players in the league. Despite being viewed by many as a dink-and-dunk passer, last year, he threw for 3,486 yards and ran for an additional 498 on the ground. The Jets will not only need to defend Smith's arm, but his legs, too. 

For Lee, this means one word: Discipline. 

Against the Bills last Thursday, Lee was often asked to spy Taylor. On the snap, Lee would stay within five yards of the line of scrimmage, then mirror Taylor in the pocket.If Taylor went left, Lee went left. If Taylor went right, Lee went right. As soon as Taylor committed, Lee would burst forward to make the play. 

Playing Smith this weekend, that's unlikely to be the defensive call. Smith's first, second and third priorities on passing plays are to throw. Unless it's a designed quarterback keeper, Smith rarely takes off until everything else breaks down.Smith's doesn't usually movee in the pocket with the intention of running. He wants to buy his receivers time to get open. 

Therein lies the challenge for Lee. 

As a linebacker, Lee plays a ton of zone coverage, or goes man-to-man with running backs and tight ends. Either way, he's usually within five to 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.Say Smith breaks out of the pocket and starts heading Lee's way. As tempting as it may be, and even if Smith seems 100 percent committed to running, Lee cannot go after him until he crosses the line. He must stick on the player he is covering man-to-man, or the one in his zone.

"You have to play smart," Lee said. "Once he gets past the line of scrimmage, we can all rally towards him. Maybe he'll get four, five or six yards. But if I leave my zone to get him, and then the guy in my zone is left alone, that play is going for 15 or 20 yards. 

"Sometimes you have to give a little bit, but that's better than giving up something behind you." 

So far this season, Lee, whom the Jets selected with the No. 20 pick in this year's draft, has been a rotational defensive player. Linebackers David Harris and Erin Henderson start, then Lee checks in on designed packages.Henderson, though, is dealing with a foot injury and is listed as questionable for the game. This means Lee could go from playing 57 percent of the defensive snaps, to 100. 

Are the Jets confident he's ready for the challenge ?

"If he's in there, he's going to be ready to go," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. "We won't lose a bit of sleep over it."

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/how_will_jets_darron_lee_defend_deceptively-athlet.html#incart_river_index

Quincy's Catching Everything

Quincy Enunwa  had a revealing take on his being targeted on 14 passes and catching 13 of them so far this season. He said one of the biggest catches Thursday at Buffalo's New Era Field almost didn't happen."Honestly, I didn't even see the ball," Enunwa said of his dazzling 34-yard first catch against the Bills. "The lights are so bright there. I kind of threw my hands up and so my hands are like this [holding them a yard apart] and then I was squeezing it. I got lucky, I guess, or it was skill, whatever you want to call that."

We'll call it skill, which is what "Q" has demonstrated so far as the rising third wideout on the Jets. In researching my Jets receiving numbers for the past two decades, I couldn't find a set of back-to-back games in which any pass catcher had 13 receptions and only one target that wasn't caught, although several examples came close.

Last year against the Giants,  Brandon Marshall  had 12 receptions on 13 targets. Percy Harvin at Kansas City in 2014 was 11-for-13. In 2008, Jerricho Cotchery was 12-for-13 in Games 4-5.Among RBs,  Bilal Powell  was 12-for-12 in last year's games vs. Tennessee and at Dallas. And Curtis Martin during one crazy stretch 10-game stretch in 2001 caught 28 of the 29 passes thrown his way.

Another way to look at Enunwa's sure-handed start is to convert his receiving numbers into a "receiver rating" using the NFL's passer rating formula. Quincy's line — 14 passes, 13 receptions, 146 yards, 1 TD, no INTs — calculates to a 133.9 rating.I asked the engaging second-year WR if he can keep up this pace."I don't know," he said. "Hopefully it's something that keeps going. One thing that I know, I'm just going to keep having fun. And as long as I do that, I can keep making plays."

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Inside-the-Numbers-Quincys-Having-Fun/ad242bd6-0328-4d23-8f98-ab3f9726fb72

Just gonna leave this here.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/04/08/boiler-room-nebraska-wr-quincy-enunwa/

Boiler Room: Nebraska WR Quincy Enunwa

Enunwa inspires reflection about innocence and experience. Photo by Craig Chandler.

Enunwa inspires reflection about innocence and experience. Photo by Craig Chandler.

Ever think about how you’ve changed over the years? What did the “old you” think, say, and do versus the “new you?” This is something I think about all the time when I’m studying football players.

I remember the first time I saw Terrell Owens as a rookie. He wasn’t the rocked-up, raging force of productivity and insecurity that he became, but the quickness, balance, and power was all there.  He caught a hitch in the left flat, gave a little shake to avoid the corner, spun off a linebacker’s hit, stiff-armed a safety, and carried two more defenders for the first down.

It only took one play and I was sold.

That was the old me–a fan, not a football writer. I’d see something spine-tingling from a player and I’d allow that feeling to wash over me and permeate my entire take. Now, I’m more circumspect about what immediately impresses me.

However, it’s not always a good thing. We allow our experiences to filter out too much of what’s wondrous and joyful about the world. Sometimes those inexperienced takes get to the core truth in ways that more experienced viewpoints can over analyze and discard. There’s something to maintaining (or maybe the more accurate word is “re-cultivating”)  a certain amount of innocence to your internal viewfinder.

Nebraska wide receiver Quincy Enunwa inspires this kind of reflection on my end. When I first watched the Cornhusker wideout tear through a secondary with the ball in his hands, I saw flashes of Terrell Owens. Then I saw Enunwa catch–and drop–the ball with hands techniques that need enough work to have concerns about his game and the ambivalence returns.

Although my RSP ranking of Enunwa reflects more of my ambivalence about his NFL potential, this Boiler Room post encapsulates the receiver’s upside with a 35-yard gain through the  Purdue Boilermakers’ defense in 2013.

When I witness moments like these,  I imagine if I was working for an NFL organization creating cut-ups for a personnel director would I include this play as part of a cut-up of highlights? The Boiler Room Series is focused on prospects that I expect to be drafted, and often before the fourth round.

With the depth of this wide receiver class, Enunwa is a player I expect to go after the fourth round. However, I know there are fans of his potential and today I’m going to show you a play that you won’t find on a highlight reel on the Internet.

He gained 35 on a 3rd and 5 pass with 2:37 in the half from a 2×2 receiver 10 personnel shotgun set. He was the outside right receiver running a stop route, but he spotted the opening behind the shallow defender and drifted the inside. Enunwa caught the ball over his back shoulder with his hands close to his body just outside the right hash. Good adjustment and catch with his hands. The rest is pure viewing candy (click the enlarge arrow at the bottom right of the video to see this at full size).

Enunwa packs enough athleticism and skill as a ball carrier on a run across the width of the field to evoke memories of a young Terrell Owens or Dez Bryant: burst, jukes, a hurdle, a spin, power, balance, and a couple of stiff arms. It’s a play you don’t easily forget.

If anything, it’s a play that is very difficult to balance with Enunwa’s flaws:

Enunwa doesn’t catch the ball with his fingertips. But man, you saw him tear through Purdue, right? 

Enunwa isn’t sharp enough with his turns. Dude, just get him the ball and he’ll wreak havoc just like that catch over the middle at Purdue 

Enunwa has difficulty tracking short passes. Screw the verticals, just feed him the ball with a running start in the shallow zone and he’s money! 

The innocent football fan in me says Enunwa will be a good NFL starter. The experienced football writer says Enunwa might be a good NFL starter if he improves his overall game, but it’s far from a guarantee. The older–and maybe wiser–analyst says Enunwa can help a team immediately as part of a starting rotation, but if he’s going to reach his potential as player difficult to stop on every down he has a lot of work ahead.

But Matt, did you see Enunwa . . .

Ibid.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/04/22/rsp-film-room-no-82-lb-darron-lee-wjene-bramel/

RSP Film Room No.82: LB Darron Lee w/Jene Bramel

Darron Lee

Jene Bramel returns to the film room and shows his chops on the defensive side of the ball. 

Darron Lee has been the most requested player for the film room episodes of the 2016 season. The Buckeyes’ outside linebacker is an athlete, but Bramel shows us why Lee is a solid prospect with room to grow into a NFL starter.

Bramel shows where Lee’s feet can improve when he engages blocks. He notes why Lee isn’t contact averse as some claim. And he provides helpful commentary about the nature of hybrid defenders, off-ball linebackers, and watching scheme and play development before watching the player.

Definitely a worthwhile episode, especially if you only think of Bramel as an injury analyst. Big mistake.

-- This might be painful, but let's take a look back at the positives and negatives from the New York Jets' 24-3 loss to theKansas City Chiefs (without the benefit of film review) :

UP

Darron Lee, linebacker -- Making his first NFL start in the base defense, the Jets' first-round pick made a strong impression. He showed his sideline-to-sideline speed, making six tackles (including two behind the line) and one quarterback hit. On the downside, Lee may have been involved in the underneath coverage on Travis Kelce's 12-yard touchdown reception. Either way, this was a nice day for Lee, who started for the injured Erin Henderson. Going forward, the coaches need to get the rookie on the field as much as possible.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63410/jets-offense-one-turnover-every-nine-plays-not-good

• 2 months later...

Darron Lee views his first season in the NFL as “a work in progress,” but the Jets’ rookie inside linebacker knows he still has six weeks left to finish strong.

“I’ll evaluate my entire year when it’s over,” Lee, who hasn’t put together many highlights to date — totaling 31 tackles and a sack — told The Post on Friday. “I just want to try to make as many plays as I can the rest of the way in order to contribute to the team, and that’s what I’ll evaluate myself on.”

Lee, 22, the team’s first-round pick out of Ohio State, recently missed three games because of a sprained ankle before seeing limited action — 13 of 68 defensive snaps — in the Jets’ 9-6 loss to the Ramsin Week 10. However, he could have an expanded role against the Patriots on Sunday, where his coverage skills would be put to the test against New England’s dynamic spread offense.

“Obviously, he’s a rookie, so he’s going to learn some things,” Jets coach Todd Bowles said. “You see him run and hit, but it’s an experience thing. As you get the mental part down, you get better with your games. He came back from injury last week. He made some plays and he got his feet wet again. So it’s a matter of retooling, getting the tackling down and him seeing the things he needed to see.”

Lee, who ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and converted from safety to linebacker in college, relishes the opportunity to face future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady, assuming he starts for the Patriots as expected despite dealing with a knee injury.“It’s going to be like a dream come true for me because I’ve done literally nothing but watch him from when he won his first Super Bowl until now,” Lee said of Brady. “I’ve watched him as a kid growing up, and it’s honestly cool and surreal that I get to actually play against him.”

Lee’s margin for error will be slim. Brady (16 touchdowns, one interception) has no shortage of weapons around him, even with Rob Gronkowski’s status uncertain.“You have to be on point,” said Lee, who struggled in coverage against Seahawks tight end Jimmy Graham (six receptions, 113 yards) earlier this season. “I can’t have these little, small mistakes. I can’t look back for half a second because they’ll get you, so I have to be very sound in my technique and fundamentals and just try to win and compete every single rep.”

Aside from his ankle injury, Lee’s rookie season also was marred when his mother, Candice, was hospitalized with a blood clot in October.

“That’s life, isn’t it?” Lee said. “You’re going to go through some things. But I just know on Sunday, the man across from me, he doesn’t care about that. My mom’s doing a lot better and everything, so I don’t have to worry too much about that, but you have to leave the off-the-field business off the field.”Lee may not be making the impact fellow Ohio State first-rounders Joey Bosa and Ezekiel Elliot have for the Chargers and Cowboys, respectively, but there’s still time.

In what appears to be a lost season for the Jets, Lee is still looking to find his way.“My mindset is to go in there and get a win on Sunday,” Lee said. “It’s pretty clear cut. Obviously, it hasn’t been the best season by anyone’s standards, but we have to just go out there and continue to fight.”

>      http://nypost.com/2016/11/26/jets-rookie-about-to-realize-dream-in-facing-tom-brady/

The Jets dropped a tough one to their division-rival New England Patriots on Sunday, falling to a miserable 3-8 on the year.

With the season slipping away, it’s time for New York’s rookie class to get a bigger opportunity to shine. One rookie in particular, Darron Lee, stood out against the Patriots.

Here are the Jets rookie power rankings for Week 12.

1) Darron Lee (⇑2)

For the first time since very early in the 2016 season, Jets rookie Darron Lee started and played a prominent role on defense for Gang Green.

Lee was all over the field, proving that his speed is a difference-maker for New York both in the run game and in coverage.

Rookie #Jets LB Darron Lee finished with 11 tackles, tying for the team-lead with David Harris. He was also credited with a PD.

8 minutes ago, kelly said:

The Jets dropped a tough one to their division-rival New England Patriots on Sunday, falling to a miserable 3-8 on the year.

With the season slipping away, it’s time for New York’s rookie class to get a bigger opportunity to shine. One rookie in particular, Darron Lee, stood out against the Patriots.

Here are the Jets rookie power rankings for Week 12.

1) Darron Lee (⇑2)

For the first time since very early in the 2016 season, Jets rookie Darron Lee started and played a prominent role on defense for Gang Green.

Lee was all over the field, proving that his speed is a difference-maker for New York both in the run game and in coverage.

Rookie #Jets LB Darron Lee finished with 11 tackles, tying for the team-lead with David Harris. He was also credited with a PD.

Lee's been as advertised or better in tackles and mobility but he still stinks in pass defending, hopefully he is getting coached up.

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lee's been as advertised or better in tackles and mobility but he still stinks in pass defending, hopefully he is getting coached up.

The whole reason for drafting him was he could cover RBs and TEs in the seams because he isn't big enough to be a pass rusher. if he cannot cover  when the game matters against an average RB, give me a break, he's nothing special. Basically they drafted a player in the 1st round that can be had much later in the draft. Note tojJets' FO; DO NOT DRAFT OSU LBS. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The whole reason for drafting him was he could cover RBs and TEs in the seams because he isn't big enough to be a pass rusher. if he cannot cover  when the game matters against an average RB, give me a break, he's nothing special. Basically they drafted a player in the 1st round that can be had much later in the draft. Note tojJets' FO; DO NOT DRAFT OSU LBS. 

I happen to agree.

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

He made a bad read at a critical time, but the kid's played well and is learning .  I would not have drafted him in the 1st round, but it's what it is. This is why firing coaches after 2 years is stupid .  The next HC and his defensive coordinator might not like this kid . He has a role in the scheme Todd Bowles wants to run thou .

My Biggest problem with situations like this is : When you hire a DC or an OC, and he's forced to run your scheme, it never ends well  . Either do the Job yourself or get out of the way and let the person you hire to do the job, do it .

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

He made a bad read at a critical time, but the kid's played well and is learning .

I agree. He played pretty well. He also made a rookie mistake. Can't have it both ways - can't demand the coach to play rookies and then call the guy a bust because he makes rookie mistakes. On top of being a rookie, he has missed some time with injury. Can't expect him to play perfect.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree. He played pretty well. He also made a rookie mistake. Can't have it both ways - can't demand the coach to play rookies and then call the guy a bust because he makes rookie mistakes. On top of being a rookie, he has missed some time with injury. Can't expect him to play perfect.

What's better to me is that he owned up to it and (gasp) took responsibility. The fact that he made that mistake and still almost got him shows his skill

Oh, since he owned up to screwing up, then it's okay?

Look, if you're gonna pick him that early in the draft for that spot with that lack of size he has to be better than this in coverage. The Pats' RBs are not world beater no matter who the QB is. He may be a servicable OLB in the future but that's not something you take that high.And he's barely better than a JAG/replacement average guy right now.  

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Oh, since he owned up to screwing up, then it's okay?

Look, if you're gonna pick him that early in the draft for that spot with that lack of size he has to be better than this in coverage. The Pats' RBs are not world beater no matter who the QB is. He may be a servicable OLB in the future but that's not something you take that high.And he's barely better than a JAG/replacement average guy right now.  

Uh yeah. Shows he's willing to take responsibility.

And BUgg. this wasn't a Hackenberg reach. He was projected to go in the first round. 

I just want good players. And he's a good player. Would you be willing to say that he has more potential than Wilson, Gholston and Coples?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Uh yeah. Shows he's willing to take responsibility.

And BUgg. this wasn't a Hackenberg reach. He was projected to go in the first round. 

I just want good players. And he's a good player. Would you be willing to say that he has more potential than Wilson, Gholston and Coples?

He sucks less than 3 complete washouts, yes.

My worry with Lee is that he is very personnel and scheme dependant for such a high investment.   He clearly fits Bowles scheme perfectly, and I think he isn't exposed as much as he normally would be given that we have 3 dominant DTs on the line.

But what's the landscape going to be like in 5 years?  The NFL is an unpredictable business, and his lack of versatility will probably be a serious problem one day.

Hoping that i'm wrong though.

~ ~ The Pup is Getting More on His Plate

In his second game back from an ankle injury,  Darron Leeicon-article-link.gif  tied for a team-high with 11 tackles and played every defensive snap in Sunday’s 22-17 loss to the Patriots. In some sub packages, Lee was the only linebacker on the field and was therefore given the responsibility of calling the plays, a duty that typically belongs to 10-year vet  David Harrisicon-article-link.gif .“A couple times on third down I was a dime linebacker, so I had to make the call,” he said. “I was the only linebacker there. So it was making calls and whatever adjustments to the formation that we were getting. But playing every down, I was fine. I didn’t feel like that was too much. I did that type of stuff when I was in college. I can go all day, I’ll be out there whenever they need me.”

The 6’1”, 232-pounder found himself at the center of attention late in the game as Lee was in coverage on Patriots RB James White’s fourth-down conversion, which later led to WR Malcolm Mitchell’s go-ahead score. Lee said that after watching the film, he wished he took two steps to his left prior to the snap.“I was giving a show up towards the end in B-gap,” he said. “Just bluffing for a blitz, but we were in man-to-man. Given the splits of the running back, I should’ve been a little wider instead of stunting and showing like I was going to blitz. For me, all I had to do was take two steps wider and I would’ve beat him to the point and he probably wouldn’t have gotten those four yards.”

rest of above article :

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Notes--Quotes-Lee-Takes-on-New-Role/47a90546-6f0c-4f3f-83e6-3f740680e54a 

4 minutes ago, kelly said:

~ ~ The Pup is Getting More on His Plate

In his second game back from an ankle injury,  Darron Leeicon-article-link.gif  tied for a team-high with 11 tackles and played every defensive snap in Sunday’s 22-17 loss to the Patriots. In some sub packages, Lee was the only linebacker on the field and was therefore given the responsibility of calling the plays, a duty that typically belongs to 10-year vet  David Harrisicon-article-link.gif .“A couple times on third down I was a dime linebacker, so I had to make the call,” he said. “I was the only linebacker there. So it was making calls and whatever adjustments to the formation that we were getting. But playing every down, I was fine. I didn’t feel like that was too much. I did that type of stuff when I was in college. I can go all day, I’ll be out there whenever they need me.”

The 6’1”, 232-pounder found himself at the center of attention late in the game as Lee was in coverage on Patriots RB James White’s fourth-down conversion, which later led to WR Malcolm Mitchell’s go-ahead score. Lee said that after watching the film, he wished he took two steps to his left prior to the snap.“I was giving a show up towards the end in B-gap,” he said. “Just bluffing for a blitz, but we were in man-to-man. Given the splits of the running back, I should’ve been a little wider instead of stunting and showing like I was going to blitz. For me, all I had to do was take two steps wider and I would’ve beat him to the point and he probably wouldn’t have gotten those four yards.”

rest of above article :

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Notes--Quotes-Lee-Takes-on-New-Role/47a90546-6f0c-4f3f-83e6-3f740680e54a 

By far my biggest pet peeve with NFL defenses, not just the Jets but almost all of them.  Players other than the dline re almost never in a good starting football position for a play.  They are so busy talking to each other gesticulating, making last second calls facing the wrong way the ball is snapped and they are caught flat footed.  If you can't get to where you are supposed to be forget the damn disguising.

Lee's been good at tackling and run stopping but awful in pass coverage in his rookie year.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

By far my biggest pet peeve with NFL defenses, not just the Jets but almost all of them.  Players other than the dline re almost never in a good starting football position for a play.  They are so busy talking to each other gesticulating, making last second calls facing the wrong way the ball is snapped and they are caught flat footed.  If you can't get to where you are supposed to be forget the damn disguising.

Lee's been good at tackling and run stopping but awful in pass coverage in his rookie year.

I have seen improvements with that though. Against NE, he had some good coverages

• 1 month later...

Blunt Enunwa Delivers an Introspective Review

Posted Jan 2, 2017

•  
  •  

Jets WR Got Away from Good Habits, Says He Wants to Lead by Example in 2017

quincy-exit-art.jpg

As the losses piled up and the frustration boiled over, Jets WR Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif said he lost his way.

“As the season kind of progressed, I got really frustrated. It wasn’t going the way we wanted it to. I was happy with my success, but the team wasn’t doing well and a lot of the things I was doing that got me to where I was at, I stopped doing them,” said a candid Enunwa today as the Jets cleaned out their lockers. “I have to make sure that I keep myself focused regardless of what’s going on. That’s something I learned about myself. Regardless of what’s going on, I have to maintain the focus, hard work and effort that got me to the beginning of the year.”

The 6’2”, 225-pounder says he stopped doing the little things that helped propel him to a blazing start in September.“For one thing, I’m a big proponent of the JUGS. I did it every day after practice, you can ask anybody. I kind of got away from that, I’m not going to lie,” he said. “The cold kind of added to that.  I didn’t want to stay out there in the cold and do that. It was a couple other things too, but I’m definitely going to keep on that as well as other footwork stuff. I want to be complete and as good a player as I can be on the field.”

There were problems on the field and tempers flared in the locker room. Enunwa says he let the negative creep in and that impacted his approach.

“When you see the bad things that are going on, you kind of feel like, ‘Wow.’ You almost lose your purpose,” he said. “You go into the season and you don’t want to play for yourself  — you want to play for team. But when team doesn’t feel like a team, you have to start playing for self. You have to realize what’s your purpose and have to play better. I think I need to make sure that regardless of what’s going on, I’m doing what I can to help the team.”

Enunwa’s emergence was one of the Jets’ bright spots during a 5-11 season.  He led the club with 857 receiving yards and four receiving TDs and T2 in receptions with 58.“I think it can be fixed,” he said of the team’s problems. “We know what we need to do. Hindsight is 20/20. Looking at it now, we know, Coach Bowles knows. There are going to be a lot of changes and I think it’s going to be for the better.”

With Bowles set to return for his third season as head coach, Enunwa believes the players have to do a better job of getting themselves on the same page.“It’s about us policing ourselves as well. I applaud Coach Bowles’ effort,” he said. “He did what he needed to do. We also have to be able to police the locker room.”

Just 24, Enunwa believes he can help set the tone in 2017 with his actions.“I was a captain at Nebraska so I know how to do it, but this is a totally different level. I also need help from the older guys, but I’m going to do my best. That starts with leading by example,” he said. “I have to come in every day on time, doing the work on and off the field. From there, I can do what I can speaking-wise as well.”

Archived