Fitzpatrick Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

kelly

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has been named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his direction of the Jets offense in their 37-31 Thursday night victory at Buffalo.Fitzpatrick completed 24 of 34 passes for 374 yards, a 5-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker in the game, and no turnovers, which produced a 116.5 passer rating. He added 21 yards on five carries.

For the game the Jets offense amassed 28 first downs and 493 yards and went on seven drives of 56 yards or longer, all of which produced red zone points."It’s fun with everybody involved and everybody making plays, and the fact that it was a game that we fell behind in the second half," Fitzpatrick said Monday, reflecting on the Jets' first win of the season and first over the Bills since 2013. "The confidence in the huddle and the way the guys felt, the way that we knew we were going to get in the end zone, that was all good for us."

This is Fitzpatrick's third AFC Player of the Week award with the Jets. He also took home the league honor after last year's Week 14 win over Tennessee and Week 16 overtime triumph over New England. Further, it was the fifth POW award of his 12-year career. He won the NFC award once as a St. Louis rookie in 2005 and the AFC award once with Tennessee in 2013 before coming to the Jets.

Fitzpatrick wasn't waiting for any honors and accolades from the primetime win. He and the Jets returned to work focused on the next task ahead, the Chiefs at Kansas City on Sunday."The NFL is crazy in that we’re only as good as what we do this week," he said. "We’re not going to sit and — dwell wouldn’t be the right word, but we’re not going to sit and celebrate last week because we have to move on. We have a team that last year won 11 straight and were a playoff team and have played very well already this year and it’s a very tough place to play, so we’re already trying to get ready for that."

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Ryan-Fitzpatrick-Named-AFC-Offensive-POW/08e25183-8236-4675-a598-6ee50677ad75

Ryan Fitzpatrick is looking to build on a 2015 season that saw him throw a team-record 31 touchdowns.

By Glenn Naughton

It’s only two games, but handing Ryan Fitzpatrick a contract this past offseason that made him one of the three worst-paid veteran starters in the NFL is already looking like a bargain for Mike Maccagnan and the New York Jets.

Following a dominating performance against the Buffalo Bills that saw Fitzpatrick throw for 374 yards (a career-high for a regulation game), the signal caller was named the top offensive player in the AFC.

According to Randy Lange of the team’s official site, this is the third time Fitzpatrick has taken home the award in just 18 starts for Gang Green.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
gMRGoN0LswA

Click here to read the full story...

Buff is supposed to have a good defense and they played respectably the previous week against the Ravens. So it wasn't an easy W esp with our defense playing poorly. I didn't know this was his third award in 18 starts. The guy has been a good player since coming here. Again we've been in every game he started and finished. If we're good enough to overcome injuries this season we have a good chance at going to the postseason.  Right now our two main receivers who are star players are banged up. As are others like Carpenter. 

4 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

I didn't think he looked great against Buffalo at all.  Stat line said he was great, the eye test disagreed.  Q bailed him out a couple of times... 

We shouldn't get too excited over being named offensive player of the week...

Really?  Almost all of his completions were beautiful downfield throws.  This was his best game as a Jet, and even some of his most ardent haters agree with that assessment. 

If your standard of greatness is that he should do that consistently, fine, I won't disagree.  But it's very difficult to say he didn't have a great game, nor is it easy to dismiss that he wasn't deserving of this award, which he has now taken home 3 times as a Jet. 

Might need to get your eyes checked, your "eye test" is flawed.

I may be totally off base here, but I think Fitz Jet career is a case of a QB getting it really late. What I mean is he had no real success for the first years of his career until he got here. Once he got here, he began to improve into possible elite status dare I say? Of course I want to see more, especially this week in a really tough environment, but how much tougher could it possibly be to play in KC then it was in Buffalo against Wrecks? I am "guardedly" optimistic.

11 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I may be totally off base here, but I think Fitz Jet career is a case of a QB getting it really late. What I mean is he had no real success for the first years of his career until he got here. Once he got here, he began to improve into possible elite status dare I say? Of course I want to see more, especially this week in a really tough environment, but how much tougher could it possibly be to play in KC then it was in Buffalo against Wrecks? I am "guardedly" optimistic.

Considering how late Vinny Testaverde "got it", it's pretty surprising that Jets fans tried to use Fitz's history against him.  No, Fitz isn't as good as Vinny was in 1998, but you would think that would have been a nice history lesson on how decent QB's CAN continue to develop late into their careers. 

No, BAD QB's don't tend to develop no matter what, but that's not what Fitz has really ever been.  He's always been at least in that average range.

21 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

I didn't think he looked great against Buffalo at all.  Stat line said he was great, the eye test disagreed.  Q bailed him out a couple of times... 

We shouldn't get too excited over being named offensive player of the week...

Fitz never looks good, he's that type of QB.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really?  Almost all of his completions were beautiful downfield throws.  This was his best game as a Jet.  If your standard of greatness is that he should do that all the time, fine, I won't disagree.  But it's very difficult to say he didn't have a great game, and was very deserving of this award.

Might need to get your eyes checked, your "eye test" is wrong. 

No, not at all.  Q caught two balls thrown behind him.  I think Fitz had a good game and I am a fan of his.  He is a throwback football player and a leader.  This isn't a knock of Fitz, he had a good game...  I just don't think he was great.

Archived