Jets cut Julian Howsare no longer have FB on roster

joewilly12

Jets cut Julian Howsare, source confirms, no longer have fullback on roster

NFL: Preseason-New York Jets at Washington Redskins
Aug 19, 2016; Landover, MD, USA; New York Jets fullback Julian Howsare (43) runs after a catch as Washington Redskins cornerback Kendall Fuller (38) defends during the second half at FedEx Field. (Brad Mills | USA TODAY Sports)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on September 22, 2016 at 5:35 PM, updated September 22, 2016 at 5:39 PM

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets no longer have a fullback on the roster. 

On Thursday, the team waived Julian Howsare, a source close to the situation told NJ Advance Media. Howsare played just three offensive snaps in the season's first two games. 

The Jets have not yet announced a corresponding roster move. A source told NJ Advance Media that practice squad tight end Braedon Bowman is a likely candidate to replace Howsare.

ESPN's Field Yates was the first to report the transaction. 

Howsare, 24, made the Jets' roster as a bit of a surprise at the end of training camp in August. The team cut long-time fullback Tommy Bohanon, electing to keep Howsare instead. Howsare spent the 2015 season on the Jets' practice squad after making the transition from linebacker, to fullback, as an undrafted free agent. 

Howsare had a solid preseason this summer. He showed value as a blocker, emergency running back and special teams player. He rushed one time for two yards, and caught two passes for 17. 

Jets not planning anthem protest

Jets not planning anthem protest

As of right now, the Jets are not planning a national anthem protest.

The Jets' offense has deployed a three-receiver set during most plays this season, which made Howsare expendable. The only time Howsare saw the field was in specific goal line packages.

Theoretically, tight ends Kellen Davis and Brandon Bostick can play fullback if need be. 

The waiving of Howsare continues a trend of NFL teams not carrying fullbacks. In 2015, 10 teams did not have one on their roster. 

If I'm a fullback I change positions. Tommy Bohanon still out of work. If you're a good blocking back with low skills as a runner a team can use an extra o-lineman or a  D  player to do that job or a guy with a bigger skill set as a receiver. The funny thing is that when Tommy was here he played on almost every offensive down. He was a starting player and now he can't find work.

13 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Stork?

Bowles said that if Carpenter couldn't go that he could be replaced by Dozier, Johnson, or a third player that he wouldn't name. 

I saw that. very interesting, stork would be a good guess

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn't they bring up the other TE from the practice squad? 

nothing on the teams page

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

If I'm a fullback I change positions. Tommy Bohanon still out of work. If you're a good blocking back with low skills as a runner a team can use an extra o-lineman or a  D  player to do that job or a guy with a bigger skill set as a receiver. The funny thing is that when Tommy was here he played on almost every offensive down. He was a starting player and now he can't find work.

We could do the same with a blocking TE that can't block, and a receiving TE that can't catch. 

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We had 5 on the preseason roster. What difference does it make which one? 

Actually I think that Jace can run routes and be a reasonably good receiver. But they didn't like him. He has no catches for the the Titans. I know he wasn't activated for at least the first game. Maybe he's having problems picking up their offense. Esp blocking assignments. That would be no big surprise. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Actually I think that Jace can run routes and be a reasonably good receiver. But they didn't like him. He has no catches for the the Titans. I know he wasn't activated for at least the first game. Maybe he's having problems picking up their offense. Esp blocking assignments. That would be no big surprise. 

Inactive both games. I felt the same that he was the best option, but Bowles doesn't want soft players on his team. I get that. I only wish they had addressed the position in the offseason. At least we could have gotten a decent blocking TE.

Davis is about the worst ever. It pains me to break down the plays and see him almost always completely whiff, fall down or get in the way of our other blockers. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Inactive both games. I felt the same that he was the best option, but Bowles doesn't want soft players on his team. I get that. I only wish they had addressed the position in the offseason. At least we could have gotten a decent blocking TE.

Davis is about the worst ever. It pains me to break down the plays and see him almost always completely whiff, fall down or get in the way of our other blockers. 

Bostick is pretty good for me in Madden. Then again, I signed Owen Daniels and cut Davis. I'm obviously joking around about Madden but why doesn't Daniels have a home? 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Amaro had no place on this roster. The Jets want their best players on the field every snap. Amaro could not replace The Q. No f'n way.

12 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Amaro had no place on this roster. The Jets want their best players on the field every snap. Amaro could not replace The Q. No f'n way.

Funny how Idziot bombed on Amaro in round 2 and struck gold on Q in 6th round.  Garrapolo, Landry, Robinson taken later in round 2. Sheeesh. 

Archived