Jets cut Julian Howsare no longer have FB on roster

joewilly12

This is kind of surprising. I really think Bohanon fit the mold of this team better. He can catch the ball a bit and I thought that would be enough to keep him around for a few more years.

Julian beat him out apparently, just surprising that it was so short lived. With no tight ends of any quality, you would think they would want a FB around for a 3rd and short.

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You mean like Jace Amaro. 

You know, i'd completely forgotten he signed elsewhere until you mentioned him. Telling that there hasn't been a single post of "OMG, why did we let this beast go?" after he has a catch for 6 yards on 3rd and 10.

Odd too that he went to a team that is extolling a smashmouth running game philosophy - not really a match for Jace's supposed skills.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Didn't they bring up the other TE from the practice squad? 

I can see the thread title now : "Jets add Braedon Bowman from practice squad, source confirms; still have no TE on active roster" :D 

8 hours ago, NJ said:

We don't really use Tight Ends ... why should we have a FB.

Less positions - less complications

They're on the field. Why are the TEs on the field if we don't use them? Davis on the field over 70% of snaps, and Bostic over 20%. I think I counted 3 useful blocks from Davis and maybe 1 from Bostic. He kind of got in the way of the right player once. 

Hopefully this new guy Bowman has shown something and that'll be the player we use to fill Housewares spot. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is kind of surprising. I really think Bohanon fit the mold of this team better. He can catch the ball a bit and I thought that would be enough to keep him around for a few more years.

Julian beat him out apparently, just surprising that it was so short lived. With no tight ends of any quality, you would think they would want a FB around for a 3rd and short.

Having a FB just encourages them to run dive plays on short yardage and goal line plays. Let's take that temptation away. Any kind of misdirection will do. 

12 hours ago, Powpow said:

Funny how Idziot bombed on Amaro in round 2 and struck gold on Q in 6th round.  Garrapolo, Landry, Robinson taken later in round 2. Sheeesh. 

I was losing my sh*t in draft thread. Did they really have Jaxe higher on their board than Garp, and those WRs?

17 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Bostick is pretty good for me in Madden. Then again, I signed Owen Daniels and cut Davis. I'm obviously joking around about Madden but why doesn't Daniels have a home? 

In Franchise mode, I used to be able to trade young UDFAs at the CB and WR position only (for some reason) for high draft picks and then use those picks to trade for Pro Bowl caliber players. Madden 15 and 16. Have yet to try it in the new Madden. Its a cheat or quirk in the game. I was able to turn my team into a dominant force that way. 

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I was losing my sh*t in draft thread. Did they really have Jaxe higher on their board than Garp, and those WRs?

With all those extra picks there's no reason we should not have had a stellar draft headed by Garp.  We could have had Robinson to boot with some trade ups.  How Idziot let Garp slip right through  his fingers is mind boggling. And of course he falls into the lap of yours truly.  He'll make the transition from Brady look seamless. 

19 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I wonder if someone was trying to claim Bowman off the practice squad?  That's about the only reason you'd make a move like this.....otherwise, I don't see it

If you have been trying him out at FB and he's better than Housewares at it, and he's a better special teamer, can play H back better than Bostick.  Sounds reasonable to me.  

39 minutes ago, Powpow said:

With all those extra picks there's no reason we should not have had a stellar draft headed by Garp.  We could have had Robinson to boot with some trade ups.  How Idziot let Garp slip right through  his fingers is mind boggling. And of course he falls into the lap of yours truly.  He'll make the transition from Brady look seamless. 

I think Jimmy is a good prospect, but if I'm being honest, he looked like a good game manager in week 1 vs. the Cardinals, and it took them starting a rookie corner to be picked on, and really not playing good football at all, to make him look that way. He looked really good vs. Miami, but again, you have to consider the opponent. 

I guess what I'm saying is, I think Jimmy G's stock is a bit inflated right now. The combination of opportune matchups, Beli doing the game planning, an offensive line that holds and gives him all the time in the world, and Ernie Adams/cheating has Pats fans talking about him like he's Rodgers to Brady's Favre. I think Jimmy can be good, but if you heard what the fans are saying up here about "trade Brady for three 1st rounders and start Jimmy he's just as good". Well... they're idiots.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think Jimmy is a good prospect, but if I'm being honest, he looked like a good game manager in week 1 vs. the Cardinals, and it took them starting a rookie corner to be picked on, and really not playing good football at all, to make him look that way. He looked really good vs. Miami, but again, you have to consider the opponent. 

I guess what I'm saying is, I think Jimmy G's stock is a bit inflated right now. The combination of opportune matchups, Beli doing the game planning, an offensive line that holds and gives him all the time in the world, and Ernie Adams/cheating has Pats fans talking about him like he's Rodgers to Brady's Favre. I think Jimmy can be good, but if you heard what the fans are saying up here about "trade Brady for three 1st rounders and start Jimmy he's just as good". Well... they're idiots.

Good points.  He's coming along nicely. Verdict is still out of course. I would have jumped on him in round 2 - no question he was worth the pick seeing how Smith has been deplorable. I'd really like to see Petty in the mix. He's got a bigger arm than Garp and has a gunslinger mentality.  So glad Mac kept him in roster and didn't risk losing him to another team.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Good points.  He's coming along nicely. Verdict is still out of course. I would have jumped on him in round 2 - no question he was worth the pick seeing how Smith has been deplorable. I'd really like to see Petty in the mix. He's got a bigger arm than Garp and has a gunslinger mentality.  So glad Mac kept him in roster and didn't risk losing him to another team.

Yea, that's why I love that we took Petty and Hack in consecutive years. The old Jets leadership mindset was "we took a QB last year, lets give him 3 years and not invest further in that position" and that's how you stay at the bottom. If we were truly taking best available player in that Idzik draft, then I'm not sure how Amaro gets selected over Carlos Hyde, Landry, Robinson and Garappolo. I know I was sick to my stomach when the Pats took him though.

Oh well. Osweiller was a guy I was high on too, and he looked as good as Garoppolo last year filling in for Broncos... but now look. He sucks. LOL

That's why I believe in taking a QB every year, grow your own, find your guy, and then use the others you develop as currency. Find a way to give the league glimpses of them, without over-exposing them, then let them come to you with their draft picks and overpay.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, that's why I love that we took Petty and Hack in consecutive years. The old Jets leadership mindset was "we took a QB last year, lets give him 3 years and not invest further in that position" and that's how you stay at the bottom. If we were truly taking best available player in that Idzik draft, then I'm not sure how Amaro gets selected over Carlos Hyde, Landry, Robinson and Garappolo. I know I was sick to my stomach when the Pats took him though.

Oh well. Osweiller was a guy I was high on too, and he looked as good as Garoppolo last year filling in for Broncos... but now look. He sucks. LOL

That's why I believe in taking a QB every year, grow your own, find your guy, and then use the others you develop as currency. Find a way to give the league glimpses of them, without over-exposing them, then let them come to you with their draft picks and overpay.

The Hack pick was questionable but worth the risk. I remember seeing him in his freshman year and he was phenomenal. He could have come out after that and been a top 10 pick.  If we can rework his mechanics and get Spock to erase his memory banks, he could resemble that form he exhibited in his 1st year at Penn State. 

17 minutes ago, Powpow said:

The Hack pick was questionable but worth the risk. I remember seeing him in his freshman year and he was phenomenal. He could have come out after that and been a top 10 pick.  If we can rework his mechanics and get Spock to erase his memory banks, he could resemble that form he exhibited in his 1st year at Penn State. 

One can only hope. In the meantime, Petty looked more impressive in preseason than Garappolo did for NE in preseason. So curious to see how it translates to field next year. Right now, I want more week 2 Fitz PLEASE!

Just now, Integrity28 said:

One can only hope. In the meantime, Petty looked more impressive in preseason than Garappolo did for NE in preseason. So curious to see how it translates to field next year. Right now, I want more week 2 Fitz PLEASE!

But Fitz sucks. Or haven't you been reading the posts from all the sterling sports journalists here. ?

Archived