TE radar BEEP; ASJ waived. Is there a god?

Paradis

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Free Agent

Buccaneers waived TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Yes, he'd be a reclamation project, but the upside is Jimmy Grahamish and I feel like this roster is a good place to rehab a guy like ASJ. We've got some characters here that are strong leaders and have overcome issues like these. 

And dammit we need a TE like him to develop. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yes, he'd be a reclamation project, but the upside is Jimmy Grahamish and I feel like this roster is a good place to rehab a guy like ASJ. We've got some characters here that are strong leaders and have overcome issues like these. 

Saw the news online a few minutes ago and just knew you would be all over this one.  Based on the state of the TE position on our roster, no harm in bringing him in for a visit

Buccaneers waived TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Cameron Brate and Luke Stocker will be the Bucs' tight ends the rest of the way. The 38th overall pick in the 2014 draft, Seferian-Jenkins was known to have drinking problems at the University of Washington and was popped for DUI on Friday morning, leading to his release. Some team will undoubtedly give the 24-year-old another chance, but Seferian-Jenkins will eventually face a suspension from the NFL. ASJ's loss is a blow to Jameis Winston's fantasy outlook. Seferian-Jenkins at least had potential, and the Bucs have gotten very little from their complementary pass catchers behind Mike Evans.

Sep 23 - 2:08 PM

Disappointed so many here seem to be above working with a young talented player. It's not like we're loaded at the position, nor is he expensive - and we're certainly have the veteran presence to take on a guy and mentor him thru this.

Frankly no ones offered any good reason not to beyond "he can be someone else's problem"... Didn't even know he was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Paradis said:

Disappointed so many here seem to be above working with a young talented player. It's not like we're loaded at the position, nor is he expensive - and we're certainly have the veteran presence to take on a guy and mentor him thru this.

Frankly no ones offered any good reason not to beyond "he can be someone else's problem"... Didn't even know he was a problem.

He's been arrested multiple times for drinking and driving.  Lets put aside the idea of working with talented player and instead he should put aside football for a year or 2 and work out his issues with alcohol instead.  We really don't need a reclamation project, we have one with Sheldon already that we are focusing on.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

People are leery justifiably so. The player had some very good games in the NFL but his on field performance has been slightly disappointing. now we get to the character issues, rarely is it as simple as; oh we give him a shot and just dump him if it doesn't work out.  You get suspensions, team mates getting upset, some of these guys just are not worth it.

Now, i am with you on this one because we have a big need and the guy has talent but I no longer begrude anyone not wanting a poor character player.  they can really hurt your team.

It's fair to weigh risk and reward like some of you are -- however I think there's some discordance here.

It's NOT like ASJ is stumbling into film study, nor is he in the NFL's substance abuse program (yet?)... so spare me the Manziel/Blackmon caliber narratives.  Does he have a problem? Yes. Should it be taken seriously? Hell yes... but he is far from the trainwreck I'm seeing painted here.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No one here was pulling the moral high-road card when Braylon Edwards was hauling two defenders into the endzone in Foxborough 

Oh my God dude... pump the brakes on the sanctimonious outrage because people aren't falling all over themselves to agree with you that we need to sign a TE that couldn't crack the lineup in Tampa because he's been at-odds with the coaches ON TOP of his drinking problems. 

It's not like any of us have control over signing him. Sheesh.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

You definitely have a type, I'll give you that.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh my God dude... pump the brakes on the sanctimonious outrage because people aren't falling all over themselves to agree with you that we need to sign a TE that couldn't crack the lineup in Tampa because he's been at-odds with the coaches ON TOP of his drinking problems. 

It's not like any of us have control over signing him. Sheesh.

You're the only one shouting. Make love, not war. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Just popped a DUI and has massively underachieved. Why?

Potential. Would he cost anything more than a 53rd ranked player would be paid? Not really. Don't see the risk. If he bombs, cut him. No harm done. Gives him another chance. Maybe he shines? Who knows. Im all for him. 

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Bingo.

If the Jets were willing to deal with a problematic underachiever at TE, Amaro would still be here.

We gave Amaro every chance to prove himself. Couldn't catch a pass, couldn't block. No need for him to be here. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Potential. Would he cost anything more than a 53rd ranked player would be paid? Not really. Don't see the risk. If he bombs, cut him. No harm done. Gives him another chance. Maybe he shines? Who knows. Im all for him. 

He is the bucs version of amaro, except without personal restraint.  pass

He is the bucs version of amaro, except without personal restraint.  pass

What a terrible analogy. I'd love to see you thoroughly explain the comparison beyond a shreddies caliber explanation. They're both TEs. The similarities end there.

It's fair to weigh risk and reward like some of you are -- however I think there's some discordance here.

It's NOT like ASJ is stumbling into film study, nor is he in the NFL's substance abuse program (yet?)... so spare me the Manziel/Blackmon caliber narratives.  Does he have a problem? Yes. Should it be taken seriously? Hell yes... but he is far from the trainwreck I'm seeing painted here.

Wrong.  ASJ is a total mess. 

He has alienated much of the coaching staff in Tampa with his attitude, some teammates, and knew he was under the microscope and on his last chance.  Yet he was still out drinking to the wee hours of the morning before Friday's practice, the most important of the week.  He committed multiple violations of a previous DUI order.   These are not things that a quality employee does.

What exactly do you consider a trainwreck?  Does he need to commit domestic violence?  Kill someone behind  the wheel?

Hell no to this jerk.

Archived