Jose Fernandez reportedly killed in boating accident.

GimmeShelter

Freaking unbelievable, kid was so damn talented and love the game so much.

Too damn young to be taken, as a Mets fan who had to watch him mow down batter after batter,was a opponent to be feared and respected.

My condolences to his family, the Marlins organization, the city of Miami, and every baseball fan who will never get to see this kid reach the heights he surly would have.

He was supposed to pitch against the Mets tomorrow night and if he did it would have been an L for us. But I'd take it any day and I think the Mets org feels the same way. I remember seeing his Mom watch his games and read that they had a great relationship and had been through a lot together. Again I wish he was pitching tomorrow night instead of being examined for an autopsy. 

Terrible news.  Really sad to hear.  He was one of those guys you hated to face but you couldnt hate him because he was just so damn happy all the time.  I mean, he loved playing ball and just seemed like a genuinely great person.  

Crazy that a boat brought him freedom in this country giving him the chance to play pro-sports and the same vehicle took his life.  Apparently he tried to leave Cuba 3 times and one of the times he had to jump out of the boat to save his mom's life.

Baseball and the world lost a good one.

I am not sure who else is watching, but what Dee Gordon just did was incredible.

Gordon, their leadoff lefty with no homers on the year, took the first pitch as a right handed hitter in tribute to Fernandez. Then the next pitch he switched to lefty and hit a bomb out of right field. Cried the entire time around the bases and made his way to the dugout where everyone was bawling at what he just did. Just phenomenal.

13 hours ago, SR24 said:

http://www.12up.com/posts/3851831-video-dee-gordon-cracks-homer-and-rounds-bases-in-tears-after-jose-fernandez-tribute?a_aid=40030  Try not to cry watching these videos of Dee Gordons leadoff homer. Definitely brought tears to my eyes

Just posted about this in the Mets thread.  That was something else.  Amazing.

Was listening to a an interview Jose had with Lebetard a few years back.  This kid was just something special.

The story is amazing.  Apparently he had a really hard time settling into the states.  He was kind of a goofy kid, struggling with the language and he was often the butt of jokes. He couldnt meet friends and just had a hard time assimilating to the States.  However, he knew he had some baseball skills.  So in High School, he decided to try out.  The coaches didnt give him much of chance because he was just such a goof ball and all the kids gave him such a hard time...but they let him try out according to his story...but they werent really giving it any series consideration.  So in the tryout, they let him hit BP, nothing else.  They only threw him 3 pitches, 2 of them left the yard. 

Apparently, that's all it took.  All of a sudden he was one of the boys, made the team and that was the moment that set him for his short yet spectacular career.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Was listening to a an interview Jose had with Lebetard a few years back.  This kid was just something special.

The story is amazing.  Apparently he had a really hard time settling into the states.  He was kind of a goofy kid, struggling with the language and he was often the butt of jokes. He couldnt meet friends and just had a hard time assimilating to the States.  However, he knew he had some baseball skills.  So in High School, he decided to try out.  The coaches didnt give him much of chance because he was just such a goof ball and all the kids gave him such a hard time...but they let him try out according to his story...but they werent really giving it any series consideration.  So in the tryout, they let him hit BP, nothing else.  They only threw him 3 pitches, 2 of them left the yard. 

Apparently, that's all it took.  All of a sudden he was one of the boys, made the team and that was the moment that set him for his short yet spectacular career.

He threw 93 as a sophomore trying out.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Just posted about this in the Mets thread.  That was something else.  Amazing.

Looked as if Bart grooved one for him. Certainly looked like a BP melon served up for the greater good.

If it was I have no problem with it.

What happened over the next 3 innings I had a BIG problem with!

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He threw 93 as a sophomore trying out.

Maybe this was freshman?  He didnt talk about pitching in the interview/story. 

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

Looked as if Bart grooved one for him. Certainly looked like a BP melon served up for the greater good.

If it was I have no problem with it.

What happened over the next 3 innings I had a BIG problem with!

It did.  Bart didnt even look back at the ball.

All good.  Just win the next couple of games. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe this was freshman?  He didnt talk about pitching in the interview/story. 

It did.  Bart didnt even look back at the ball.

All good.  Just win the next couple of games. 

Yeah, I noticed that.

That was my first tip-off that it was intentional.

• 1 month later...

Archived