KC Observations

KRL

Just now, FidelioJet said:

The problem is.  With the QB we have and all of the 1st round defensive talent we need the defense to be better than "fine"

I disagree. Fitzpatrick is a journeyman and he showed why yesterday.

I want to know, and I know I have defended Bowles, but I want to know if he played off coverage in Arizona.

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

I just don't see how this team or any can hide from abysmal QB play. The QB should be able to compensate for team's short comings. The D played well enough to win this game. When the QB play is this bad there is no way to win. Lac could not even get them out of trouble.

Time to move on from this guy if the Jets want any shot at the playoffs.

Joewilly and I and a few others said same thing.   FITZ is a back up, nothing more.    We passed over Brisset and Prescott and took Hack.   47 years of infutility is not done without trying.  Same Ole Jets. 

I’m a Fitz supporter. I accept him for what he is (game manager) and don’t try to put unrealistic expectations on him. With that said though, he was so bad yesterday. I don’t even care about the number of picks as much as it was the decision making. His throws were awful, he constantly tries to force balls into tight windows. I knew that second pick in the end zone was coming, you could feel it. I knew after Berry almost picked him on an awful throw to Decker the first time in the end zone that if he kept playing with fire he was going to get picked, and he did. I felt so helpless watching that game because you knew Fitz just didn’t have it, the frustrating part is that the game was still within reach multiple times when the Jets were driving down the field only to turn it over in the redzone. Completely unacceptable.

That KC team isn’t even that good. We saw it again, we talked about it all week. They capitalize on other teams making mistakes. The Jets handed them 14 points directly off of turnovers. They have a pretty good defense and an offense that throws a lot of quick designed passes, the QB doesn’t take a lot of chances. If Fitz played somewhat well, even like he did in week 1, the Jets could have won that game. That was just horrible.

I’m also getting tired of watching Jalin Marshall fumble the ball. Something might have to be done about that. I’m glad Bowles was pissed post game. I hope he gets his team pissed off for when Seattle comes in.

I'm not trying to give the defense a pass but it's really hard to judge them when your team has 8 Turnovers.  They didn't play great in the 1st Qtr letting Kelce own them early but we were within striking distance most of the game and again, when your team has 8 turnovers I think that's all you can ask for.

I mean this was supposed to be a matchup between two similar types of Qbs. Guys who were smart Qbs and could intelligently manage a short passing game. But Alex Smith did not try to go above and beyond his limitations and Fitz did. Maybe he was thinking after being O player of the week that he was that good. And could be like Brett Favre. He couldn't. So the smarter Qb is Alex Smith because he knows his limitations. And a man has to know his limitations. 

8 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm not trying to give the defense a pass but it's really hard to judge them when your team has 8 Turnovers.  They didn't play great in the 1st Qtr letting Kelce own them early but we were within striking distance most of the game and again, when your team has 8 turnovers I think that's all you can ask for.

They looked weak in the first half letting KC walk through.  Don't forget that KC also had a TD turned back (and the ball given to the Jets) because Ware fumbled on his own going for the pilon.  I know that's part of the game.   The D did look better in the 2nd half.

Lets be honest...  this game is on the offense alone.  They weren't doing anything, and then they started being a turnover machine.   When Marshall isn't Marshall (due to injury), the offense isn't the same.  We knock in a TD early in the 4th and we have a ball game too...

wow, what an ugly loss!!!! Tough to watch for sure.  Pretty unbelievable that we were down 2 scores through most of the 4th quarter.  It felt like our defense was getting beat up too but they kept us in the game.  NOTHING went right on offense and that goes directly on Fitz, from player of the week to WTF... hopefully it lights a fire under the Jets collective a$$es and we miraculously rebound against a very good team from the NFC.

That could be the most painful game to watch I have ever seen. There were losses that hurt more as I was already expecting the loss and just waiting for the game to be over. I actually laughed at the last INT. Fitz was terrible, but sadly he was not the only one.

I have been happy with our FO and have faith in them, but I have to be honest my faith got rattled yesterday. Every team has a stinker. In fact, even the Pats. The problem is that the Pats have like 1 a decade and we seem to have 2 to 3 a year (granted not as bad as yesterday). I thought that was one thing moving on from Rex would have cured. Not sure why a team would come out flat ever; We play better off of 4 days than we do after 10. If Bowles can't fix it, then he needs to go (not saying he should be fired today or this year).

Also, I am NO fan of Geno, but after some point (maybe INT 5) you have to sit Fitz down (if for no other reason than to give him some perspective). The big problem was that he was trying too hard to force the ball in. Even a series or two could have helped. If you have absolutely no faith in Geno, move on from him. Also, how do you not rest Marshall when the game was lost?

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

We lost 24-3 with 8 turnovers. So the entire roster didn't play poorly and we're not a crap team. If you commit that many turnovers and you're bad you're not still in the game as late as we were. Let's not downgrade ourselves yet. 

To be fair, it is hard to tell about the defense as KC went very conservative very early. Of course had our defense gotten a few more turnovers (or a pick 6) early on, maybe Fitz would not have been so desperate and forced so many throws (of course he still may have).

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

To be fair, it is hard to tell about the defense as KC went very conservative very early. Of course had our defense gotten a few more turnovers (or a pick 6) early on, maybe Fitz would not have been so desperate and forced so many throws (of course he still may have).

Fitz didn't have to play like he was desperate. Until the latter part of the game. Like on week 17. That's when turnovers are not unreasonable. When you basically have to throw into coverage. All the rants we heard from the haters about Fitz's inaccuracy as a passer came true to life yesterday. Those guys were in 7th heaven. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Fitz didn't have to play like he was desperate. Until the latter part of the game. Like on week 17. That's when turnovers are not unreasonable. When you basically have to throw into coverage. All the rants we heard from the haters about Fitz's inaccuracy as a passer came true to life yesterday. Those guys were in 7th heaven. 

Sorry, Fitz had a crap game; it was crap long before the 2nd INT. Just remember, that INT came towards the end of the 3rd and they once again had stalled in the RZ with us down 14. Had the defense gotten us more balls before then or a TD, we are down only 7 maybe Fitz plays different. And, the last 2 or 3 INTS were with us still down by 14 with less than half of the quarter left.

I am not defending Fitz play at ALL. But, Denver won the SB on poor (or course not that poor) QB play. Had our defense played truly elite defense in the first 2 quarters, maybe the game turns out differently. Maybe not. Either way, the defense may have been the best part of the team yesterday, but it did not look dominant. If you want your defense to set the tone, they didn't do a very good job. The played okay, but they didn't play great.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

Sorry, Fitz had a crap game; it was crap long before the 2nd INT. Just remember, that INT came towards the end of the 3rd and they once again had stalled in the RZ with us down 14. Had the defense gotten us more balls before then or a TD, we are down only 7 maybe Fitz plays different. And, the last 2 or 3 INTS were with us still down by 14 with less than half of the quarter left.

I am not defending Fitz play at ALL. But, Denver won the SB on poor (or course not that poor) QB play. Had our defense played truly elite defense in the first 2 quarters, maybe the game turns out differently. Maybe not. Either way, the defense may have been the best part of the team yesterday, but it did not look dominant. If you want your defense to set the tone, they didn't do a very good job. The played okay, but they didn't play great.

the defense had its problems but only gave up 10 points off of turnovers.  not bad overall.  eliminate the pick 6 and jalin fumble and this is a very tight game thanks to the defense.  it would be nice to have petty in there chucking the ball downfield and see if the chiefs can cover all the speed the jets have on their bench.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the defense had its problems but only gave up 10 points off of turnovers.  not bad overall.  eliminate the pick 6 and jalin fumble and this is a very tight game thanks to the defense.  it would be nice to have petty in there chucking the ball downfield and see if the chiefs can cover all the speed the jets have on their bench.

I agree that the defense only gave up 10 points off of turnovers, but how many turnovers did they generate? If this team wants to be defense oriented, than it needs to be force some turnovers especially when the offense is struggling. When is the last time they scored any points? If you want to be elite you need to cause turnovers and score points. Did I say they sucked? No, but many were NOT happy with their performance. Just because the offense played the worst football every, doesn't mean the defense was great.

What would have happened had the offense scored a TD instead of the FG to end the half? Do you think in a 10 point game, KC would have sat on the lead? What would have happened if the offense had scored a TD in the middle of the 3rd and it was a 3 point game? Could the defense have stopped them? maybe, or maybe not. But clearly, when the offense was sucking wind, the defense didn't give them the big play that turned it all around.

Denver's defense won the SB for them, the best you can say about our defense yesterday is they didn't loose the game for us.

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree that the defense only gave up 10 points off of turnovers, but how many turnovers did they generate? If this team wants to be defense oriented, than it needs to be force some turnovers especially when the offense is struggling. When is the last time they scored any points? If you want to be elite you need to cause turnovers and score points. Did I say they sucked? No, but many were NOT happy with their performance. Just because the offense played the worst football every, doesn't mean the defense was great.

What would have happened had the offense scored a TD instead of the FG to end the half? Do you think in a 10 point game, KC would have sat on the lead? What would have happened if the offense had scored a TD in the middle of the 3rd and it was a 3 point game? Could the defense have stopped them? maybe, or maybe not. But clearly, when the offense was sucking wind, the defense didn't give them the big play that turned it all around.

Denver's defense won the SB for them, the best you can say about our defense yesterday is they didn't loose the game for us.

again, the defense could play better, but they only gave up 10 points.  the defense allowed 10 points, and both were from turnovers that put the defense in bad spots.  generating turnovers would help, but not if the qb throws a pick every time.

16 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I thought the D basically kept us in the game and had to deal with the 8 turnovers. They bent but didn't break. I don't know the logistics on every offensive play and who might have missed an assignment. But basically this time, not week 17 or any other game it was mostly on one player and that is Fitz. If he doesn't throw those errant passes we were in that game. 

No team can win a game with 8 turnovers. Jets came out flat. Fitz had probably the worst game of his life. He was forcing the ball all day many times into double coverage. For a team ranked 30th in the run I expected Forte and Powell to really get off. Game plan was suspect as well. They were actually still in the game at 17-3. Might have been why they kept Fitz in. He should be on a short leash if he continues to stink up the field IMO. Hope they rebound next week. I'll be at the game.

Archived