RIP Arnold Palmer

Warfish

We forget what a great dominant golfer he was. LIke Yogi, his after the game persona made us forget his greatness on the field, course. 

CLint Eastwood said he played in a pro am with Arnie in the 60s.  Arnie teed up 80 yards behind them, drove the ball and he said it sounded like a jet plane soaring past them.   He out drove them by 50 yards from the back tees.

I had the pleasure of meeting Arnold at Palomar airport in Carlsbad California. He flew his own jet in for a tournament and we hangared it. After he got his clubs and luggage out of the plane and into his rental car he just hung out for a while, talking to me and the other mechanics and just being a regular guy who was into aviation. Several times we tried to get him to talk about his accomplishments in the game of golf, but he seemed really humble about it all, switching the conversation back to what we were working on. 

People as famous as he aren't usually that way. He impressed me a lot that day. A really good man and he will be missed.

Archived