The NY Jets staff hate Geno Smith

johnnyjet

Just now, Rangers9 said:

You don't get red zone picks if you're not in a position on the field to score. If Bowles would have known he was going to throw picks he would have gone for short field goals. Believe me if this continues with Fitz, Geno will be playing and very soon. But you don't make a Qb change based on one game even a performance from hell like that one. 

Nobody said "make a change". I'm saying, get your backups some playing time. Completely different scenario. Some days, players don't have it. If a player fumbles a KO for an opponents score, we talk about replacing him. That has to work for everyone. If you're playing like crap, you should be replaced. I mean, that's the argument against Geno right? He "sucks". Yet he sucks far less than Fitzpatrick does, but the notion of taking Fitzpatrick out is somehow out of the question?!

Fitzpatrick has more INTs than many DIVISIONs have INTs.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not believe keeping Fitz out there was done as an FU to Geno. I believe Bowles looked at the game and saw KC wasn't scoring and figured there was still a chance of a late miracle and Fitz was the best chance to get that done. (But Fitz isn't that guy.) I can understand that line of thinking until KC scored again late. Even a late rally wasn't going to put three TDs on the board. 

By that point Geno could have gone in but I have to agree, Bowles has no love for Geno and he's only on the roster if Fitz gets injured. 

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

As bad as Fitz was Gailey was even worse.  Your QB is off and your opponent has totally figured him out.  Why not use Forte and Powell more?  You're averaging 5+ yds a run and you keep asking Fitz to throw in the Red Zone?  I can't figure out if this is stupidity or stubbornness...

Gailey is always just awful calling plays in the red zone. Fitz is terrible passing in the red zone and has been before this game. Even when running plays are called in the red zone they are worst.

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

Bowles has no love for Geno and he's only on the roster if Fitz gets injured. 

Totally agree.  I also wonder if he's not being influenced by all the man love shown to Fitz by veterans like Marshall, Decker and Mangold.  It might be undermining his ability to make adjustments that might be best for the team...

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Nobody said "make a change". I'm saying, get your backups some playing time. Completely different scenario. Some days, players don't have it. If a player fumbles a KO for an opponents score, we talk about replacing him. That has to work for everyone. If you're playing like crap, you should be replaced. I mean, that's the argument against Geno right? He "sucks". Yet he sucks far less than Fitzpatrick does, but the notion of taking Fitzpatrick out is somehow out of the question?!

Fitzpatrick has more INTs than many DIVISIONs have INTs.

Most coaches in the NFL are not into the relief pitcher kind of mentality. They feel that a struggling starting Qb can work themselves out of it esp if the team is still in the game. If Bowles had lifted Fitz when we were still within striking distance and Geno played badly he would have been severely criticized for not sticking with the guy who played great the week before. I think this week he would bench Fitz if he plays poorly. 

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Totally agree.  I also wonder if he's not being influenced by all the man love shown to Fitz by veterans like Marshall, Decker and Mangold.  It might be undermining his ability to make adjustments that might be best for the team...

I wonder what the Marshall Decker and Mangold have to say about the 6 INTs.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Most coaches in the NFL are not into the relief pitcher kind of mentality. They feel that a struggling starting Qb can work themselves out of it esp if the team is still in the game. If Bowles had lifted Fitz when we were still within striking distance and Geno played badly he would have been severely criticized for not sticking with the guy who played great the week before. I think this week he would bench Fitz if he plays poorly. 

That's a reasonable argument, if true. I'm not sure anyone has had to go through that recently, so I think it's speculation. Sadly, the Jets have had to face this scenario two out of their last 4 games.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i think bowles may lose it first if he doesn't switch qbs when he throws 6 picks.

Look he's not going to bench Fitz now or in the future unless this continues. If he did then the players would lose respect for him. The 6 picks is one game and should be for the whole season. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I wonder what Marshall,Decker and Mangold think about his performance yesterday. 

Some of what I read suggested that Decker was complaining about the lack of targets in the locker room after the game.  It made it sound like it was a dig at Gailey more than Fitz.  Marshall also appeared to dig at Gailey when he said they got "too cute" in the Red Zone.  Nothing I read was anti-Fitz however...

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Some of what I read suggested that Decker was complaining about the lack of targets in the locker room after the game.  It made it sound like it was a dig at Gailey more than Fitz.  Marshall also appeared to dig at Gailey when he said they got "too cute" in the Red Zone.  Nothing I read was anti-Fitz however...

Gailey has seen his better days he calls a terrible game it seems we are always playing catch up football. 

Time for change. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The play calling has been bad we supposedly have all this speed at WR and never use it. 

it's all back-shoulder. Fitzpatrick has guys open deep but never leads them. Even against Buffalo, there were passes that should have been scores but, because he doesn't lead receivers, were just long completions.

A lot of balls intercepted yesterday came off of deflections. I was hoping that we'd get lucky. I saw Brandon Marshall close by one of them. But those balls were not accurately thrown anyways. He should have thrown them away because we weren't behind by that much. Alex Smith wouldn't have even attempted those kinds of passes.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

fitz decides where to throw the ball and he messed it up.  many times.  because he's inaccurate.  it's not the OC.

Agree but still think Gailey should not have had him slinging it in the Red Zone with Forte and Powell averaging 5+ yds per attempt.  At least TRY to bang it in, especially with your QB playing poorly.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

fitz decides where to throw the ball and he messed it up.  many times.  because he's inaccurate.  it's not the OC.

Exactly. I seen Chan call plays yesterday that had the WR's get separation from the defender (Marshall twice and Anderson) where if Fitz simply led the WR with the pass it would have been touchdowns. Instead all of the passes were inaccurate but conveniently called "back shoulder passes". Why would you throw a back shoulder pass to a WR that has no defender over the top of him and has two steps on the defender trailing him? 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. I seen Chan call plays yesterday that had the WR's get separation from the defender (Marshall twice and Anderson) where if Fitz simply led the WR with the pass it would have been touchdowns. Instead all of the passes were inaccurate but conveniently called "back shoulder passes". Why would you throw a back should pass to a WR that has no defender over the top of him and has two steps on the defender trailing him? 

yeah, lol. I mean, it's like he's afraid to score, probably because he doesn't trust his arm. But it's a significant limitation on the offense. And I think these WRs aren't even running long patterns anymore because of it.

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree but still think Gailey should not have had him slinging it in the Red Zone with Forte and Powell averaging 5+ yds per attempt.  At least TRY to bang it in, especially with your QB playing poorly.

We need another RB a scat back type like Sproles why havent we replaced Robinson so much for the 3 headed monster plan

Make no mistake: if I thought Fitzpatrick had the physical tools to not limit the offense, I'd be all for him starting. but, when you really look at it, he's not a good game manager. He locks in on his first read A LOT. He doesn't lead receivers, unless it's into defenders. He doesn't slide and fumbles.

As much as Mr. Smith is a "turnover machine" Fitzpatrick's record has been much, much worse. That Fitzpatrick's fans don't see that suggests they have another agenda that has nothing to do with winning football.

Just now, phill1c said:

Make no mistake: if I thought Fitzpatrick had the physical tools to not limit the offense, I'd be all for him starting. but, when you really look at it, he's not a good game manager. He locks in on his first read A LOT. He doesn't lead receivers, unless it's into defenders. He doesn't slide and fumbles.

As much as Mr. Smith is a "turnover machine" Fitzpatrick's record has been much, much worse. That Fitzpatrick's fans don't see that suggests they have another agenda that has nothing to do with winning football.

the coaches love him, and the players love him.  thus he will get a longer leash.  they will play him unless he gets hurt, until they're mathematically out of the playoffs, then petty comes in.  that's why they're keeping petty active despite his shoulder injury.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the coaches love him, and the players love him.  thus he will get a longer leash.  they will play him unless he gets hurt, until they're mathematically out of the playoffs, then petty comes in.  that's why they're keeping petty active despite his shoulder injury.  

I thought he was inactive:

Not Active: QB 5 C.Hackenberg, QB 9 B.Petty, RB 26 T.Pope, CB 27 D.Roberts, LB 53 M.Catapano, LB 58 E.Henderson, T 72 B.Shell

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Love doesn't win football games, 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

The fact that Bowles/Chan refused to pull an obviously unproductive/destructive Ryan Fitzpatrick says everything you need to know about how they feel about Geno Smith.

It's a given, frankly, that if your starter is sh*tting the bed horribly (as Fitz did) and the game is out of reach (which it was) that you pull your starter (to avoid injury, to avoid further embarrassment) and insert your #2 to mop up/hand off.

The fact Bowles let Fitz just rot out there, embarrassing Fitz, embarrassing our Franchise, and embarrassing them (the Coaches) says more then every word ever posted on every Jets Forum about Geno Smith.

He will never take another snap as a New York Jet.

One can only hope. 

9 hours ago, HoustonJet said:

If they hate him then why have him on the team? They should give him an opportunity to catch on with another team. And unlike most fooled Jets fans I never bought into this Fitz "success" last season, always thought Geno was the better QB, he did something stupid and paid for it.

F' that. They probably should have played him, but you cut a guy because you don't need him; you don't cut a guy to give him the opportunity to catch on. This is the NFL not a charity.

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think the progression on Fitz was that going into yesterday's game he was untouchable. He had that status. After 18 mostly good starts and a great game against Buff. But I agree they should have taken him out but after the game was lost to cut his losses. Late in the 4th quarter. But that status has changed now. If he is terrible against Seattle Bowles will take him out. Even earlier in the game. Because if he keeps throwing picks he does not give us our best chance to win. And that's what it's all about with Bowles. If he does lift Fitz in the Seattle game (and I'm hoping he reverts to form and plays intelligent football) I think Fitz remains the starter. And is on a short leash. 

I don't see him being lifted even if he stinks next week.  That 12 million has brought more time than that.  Now 2 games from now, if he is still throwing endzone Ints and more importantly, the team is LOSING, I think he could get pulled.

Archived