The NY Jets staff hate Geno Smith

johnnyjet

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Never has it been more obvious the the staff despise Geno smith.  Yesterday our best chance to win followed up his career best with his career worst performance. And at times I had no idea why he was throwing or who it was intended for.  Yes I have been a fitz fan but if he plays like that again he deserves to be benched.   But why did the Jets not put in Geno? Yes he's horrible but no way could he have done worse.  Hell he might have accidentally sparked the team.  When I watch what's going on in Philly it may be time to give Petty a chance. 

The coaching staff needs to be called out regardless for not putting in Smith yesterday. The game was still within reach. 

Yeah because 49-9 at Cincy a couple of years ago was SO much better...

6 hours ago, Barkus said:

In fairness, Geno looked terrible in the preaseason games. He did nothing to instill confidence that he is better than fitz. Of course if fitz, cont to throw picks at a record pace a change will need to be made. To make things worse, Petty is still hurt apparently so he cannot help at this time either. What I don't understand is how teams like the cowboys, pats, and even the browns can throw out late round rookies who can play, but our second rounder is a redshirt and will not play at all this year???

Fitz also looked like warmed over doodoo in the preseason but since he was "ordained" as the starter the previous December by Bowles, that was excusable.   Geno works his ass off all off season for another shot and just like that the "conquering hero" is the starter. Hard to get pumped up after that..  Bottom line they just need to cut the guy and be done with it. 

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I don't see him being lifted even if he stinks next week.  That 12 million has brought more time than that.  Now 2 games from now, if he is still throwing endzone Ints and more importantly, the team is LOSING, I think he could get pulled.

Look there is a protocol and teams just don't replace starting Qbs after a few bad games. It's contract which proves a team's commitment plus not giving up on key players. It's not the way you build confidence among your players if you overreact to poor play. You'd be benching almost everybody. It sends the wrong message to your team. These are the players you have for the season and you have to try to not give up on them and a smart org will ride out any storms. Give Rex credit he got his team ready to play after adversity and hopefully Bowles can do the same thing. But if Fitz turns the ball over six times he will be relieved. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look there is a protocol and teams just don't replace starting Qbs after a few bad games. It's contract which proves a team's commitment plus not giving up on key players. It's not the way you build confidence among your players if you overreact to poor play. You'd be benching almost everybody. It sends the wrong message to your team. These are the players you have for the season and you have to try to not give up on them and a smart org will ride out any storms. Give Rex credit he got his team ready to play after adversity and hopefully Bowles can do the same thing. But if Fitz turns the ball over six times he will be relieved. 

Dude has a one year deal, that is the extent of the confidence the team has in him.  If he is stinking up the joint over the next 3 or 4 games, Bowles is an idiot if he doesn't make a move.  I expect Fitz to bounce back and have a decent game against Seattle but if he doesn't I won't be shocked. 

14 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Fitz also looked like warmed over doodoo in the preseason but since he was "ordained" as the starter the previous December by Bowles, that was excusable.   Geno works his ass off all off season for another shot and just like that the "conquering hero" is the starter. Hard to get pumped up after that..  Bottom line they just need to cut the guy and be done with it. 

If by this you mean Eugene Smith, then I agree .  Kid has been treated poorly here by the coaching staffs and by the fans . To be fair, Eugene is not some innocent by-stander in all of it .

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

6 INTs 8 turnovers lost the game anyway you spin it 

Another day, another thread, same ol' Joewilly.

Geno Smith lost the Kansas City game.  Ryan Fitzpatrick shouldn't be on this team, our new franchise quarterback, the one we drafted so high, the one chosen to replace playoff-winning Mark Sanchez has sh-t the bed since the day he got here, isn't prepared, isn't good enough, doesn't try hard, is full of emotional problems and isn't on the field.  He's our issue.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is preforming as advertised.  Up and down, good games and bad games.  It's what journeymen do. 

Geno Smith's bust put us in this position.  As a supporter of his, you owe us an apology for what he's done to this franchise.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Another day, another thread, same ol' Joewilly.

Geno Smith lost the Kansas City game.  Ryan Fitzpatrick shouldn't be on this team, our new franchise quarterback, the one we drafted so high, the one chosen to replace playoff-winning Mark Sanchez has sh-t the bed since the day he got here, isn't prepared, isn't good enough, doesn't try hard, is full of emotional problems and isn't on the field.  He's our issue.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is preforming as advertised.  Up and down, good games and bad games.  It's what journeymen do. 

Geno Smith's bust put us in this position.  As a supporter of his, you owe us an apology for what he's done to this franchise.

SAR I

LOL this is brilliant.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If they hated him, he wouldnt be on the roster. 

The way they treat Geno is not an indictment on Geno.  It's about the love affair with Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

i disagree.  leaving in a below-average qb when he throws that many ints says they have even less faith than the backup.

let's reverse the situation, hypothetically.  let's say geno was the starter, and just threw his 5th pick at kc.  or even 4th.  i'd say fitz gets in the game then.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The way they treat Geno is not an indictment on Geno.  It's about the love affair with Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

....and the "Ryan Fitzpatrick Conspiracy Theory" makes an appearance, right on schedule.

No one loves Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I have yet to see a single fan in a Fitzpatrick jersey, he has no radio show, he has no commercials, no kid has his poster on his wall.  He's a JAG that we were forced to sign because of Geno Smith's bust.

It's not a 'love affair'.  The guy just led the most prolific offense in team history, setting records for touchdowns, took us to an unexpected 10 wins.  What, they would trust the bust this season?  With this schedule?  Are you crazy?

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

....and the "Ryan Fitzpatrick Conspiracy Theory" makes an appearance, right on schedule.

No one loves Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I have yet to see a single fan in a Fitzpatrick jersey, he has no radio show, he has no commercials, no kid has his poster on his wall.  He's a JAG that we were forced to sign because of Geno Smith's bust.

It's not a 'love affair'.  The guy just led the most prolific offense in team history, setting records for touchdowns, took us to an unexpected 10 wins.  What, they would trust the bust this season?  With this schedule?  Are you crazy?

SAR I

neither is good enough to get to the playoffs, but fitz at least presents a good image for himself and the team and has the respect of his teammates, thus he stays in the game despite the picks.  bowles does not want to shake things up from a leadership perspective until it's clearly petty's time.

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

LOL this is brilliant.

Geno Smith ruined our franchise in so many ways.  Not just this season, not just the fact that he got Rex Ryan fired, not just the fact that he got John Idzik humiliated, not just the fact that he led to the hiring of Todd Bowles, not just the fact that his lousy play led us to overpay Ryan Fitzpatrick out of desperation, not just the fact that the coaching staff would rather suffer 6 INT's then see Geno Smith buckle his chinstrap.

Having Geno Smith on the roster in 2014 meant that we didn't take Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, or Jimmy Garoppolo, all of whom were on the board when we picked at 18, all of whom look like they really can be the franchise quarterbacks Geno Smith will never be.

SAR I

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yes it is.

Geno Smith has sucked in every way since the day he was drafted. D!ck pics, missing team meetings, and stiffing teammates he owed money to and then being a smug prick about it to their face.

Fitz may be hot garbage, but Geno is the brownish-yellow liquid at the bottom of the trash can. 

The only option other than Fitz is Bryce Petty. 

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i disagree.  leaving in a below-average qb when he throws that many ints says they have even less faith than the backup.

let's reverse the situation, hypothetically.  let's say geno was the starter, and just threw his 5th pick at kc.  or even 4th.  i'd say fitz gets in the game then.

FWIW - Bowles said in his presser that he never considered it because they were "still in the game". 

Not sure about the reverse hypothetical scenarios.  I think this dude is completely infatuated with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

FWIW - Bowles said in his presser that he never considered it because they were "still in the game". 

Not sure about the reverse hypothetical scenarios.  I think this dude is completely infatuated with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

the gm and hc are there for the first training camp and geno, who had already been named the presumptive starter, gets socked in the jaw.  that told bowles and mccags that geno was not qualified to be the qb of this team.  fitz had a pretty good season last year, not amazing, but perhaps amazing by jet fan standards which  are admittedly low.  mccags has drafted 2 guys with considerably more physical skills than both geno and fitz, both are not signed beyond this season and mccags has said he wants to develop a pipeline of qbs, which implies he may draft more next year.  fitz is their best option until they're clearly out of contention and then petty gets his shot.  i would imagine the team knows this too, whether anyone says it to the media.  

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You're the king of conspiracy theories and I take offense to that comment.  I'm the most level headed fan on this board.  And my post wasnt about the fanbase, it's about the coaching staff.  So you're weird Jersey obsession is meaningless and not accurate. I saw a bunch on opening day. 

Bowles named Ryan Fitpatrick the starter the day after the choke job in Buffalo in Jan.  He wasnt even on the roster.  Then they proceed to ignore any other QB's on the market because it was all about Ryan Fitzpatrick.  But its not a "love affair".  okay...

12 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Yes it is.

Geno Smith has sucked in every way since the day he was drafted. D!ck pics, missing team meetings, and stiffing teammates he owed money to and then being a smug prick about it to their face.

Fitz may be hot garbage, but Geno is the brownish-yellow liquid at the bottom of the trash can. 

The only option other than Fitz is Bryce Petty. 

The OP of this thread asked the question, does the coaching staff hate Geno Smith?  I assume because he didnt get in the game on Sunday.

So, I fail to see how this is difficult.  Hate is a very strong word.  If they hated him, he'd have but cut a long time ago.  Yet, he remains on the roster.  It's pretty simple.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're the king of conspiracy theories and I take offense to that comment.  I'm the most level headed fan on this board.  And my post wasnt about the fanbase, it's about the coaching staff.  So you're weird Jersey obsession is meaningless and not accurate. I saw a bunch on opening day. 

Bowles named Ryan Fitpatrick the starter the day after the choke job in Buffalo in Jan.  He wasnt even on the roster.  Then they proceed to ignore any other QB's on the market because it was all about Ryan Fitzpatrick.  But its not a "love affair".  okay...

I took your statement of "love affair" to mean that the Jets FO is blind to other QB talent on the roster and only have eyes for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  If that was not your intent I apologize.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had a stellar 2015 by New York Jets standards, he set records no other quarterback had, he was the number one reason why we ascended from a joke to a respectible ten win franchise.  I don't think anyone can dispute that.  He was no game manager like Sanchez, he was no risky gunslinger like Favre, he was no pop gun dump off like Pennington.  Fitzpatrick did it all, was terrific.

So when the guy that turned your franchise around becomes a free agent, you say things like "he's our starter" in the offseason to court him back into the fold.  It's a negotiating tactic.  It's a way to let others around the NFL know they're not going to out bid you or take him away.  It's a way to soften up his wife and kids who don't want to move to another town for the 4th time in 5 years. 

As far as ignoring other QB's on the market this offseason, like who?  Was there someone great out there?  We tried to trade up to take Wentz.  We retained Petty and took a flyer on Hackenberg.  I don't think anyone on Earth thinks that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the short term or long term answer for the franchise.  He's a band aid, he buys us time for the kids to develop, he's a serviceable cork in Geno Smith's dyke.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the gm and hc are there for the first training camp and geno, who had already been named the presumptive starter, gets socked in the jaw.  that told bowles and mccags that geno was not qualified to be the qb of this team.  fitz had a pretty good season last year, not amazing, but perhaps amazing by jet fan standards which  are admittedly low.  mccags has drafted 2 guys with considerably more physical skills than both geno and fitz, both are not signed beyond this season and mccags has said he wants to develop a pipeline of qbs, which implies he may draft more next year.  fitz is their best option until they're clearly out of contention and then petty gets his shot.  i would imagine the team knows this too, whether anyone says it to the media.  

I get all that but again, the question was asked...does the coaching staff hate him?  Simply put, no.  They dont.  If you HATE a player, you cut him.

I mean, I dont understand how this is a debate.  You dont hang on to a player and waste a roster spot on someone you HATE.  

This isnt about defending Geno.  This has nothing to do with how I personally feel about Geno.  It's about "does the coaching staff hate Geno"?  The fact he remains on the roster is a very good indication they do not hate him.  They just love Ryan Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Has anyone considered that rather than hate, they have been evaluating him for two years and they just don't think he's very good at football?

No, it can't be that.  That would mean that Geno Smith sucks, you know, like we've seen on the field for 35 games.  But we are wrong, there is a conspiracy afoot, it's all a plot to make Ryan Fitzpatrick a New York superstar.  Because 34 year old journeymen quarterbacks on their 6th team in 11 years are oh so sexy on Madison Avenue.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get all that but again, the question was asked...does the coaching staff hate him?  Simply put, no.  They dont.  If you HATE a player, you cut him.

I mean, I dont understand how this is a debate.  You dont hang on to a player and waste a roster spot on someone you HATE.  

This isnt about defending Geno.  This has nothing to do with how I personally feel about Geno.  It's about "does the coaching staff hate Geno"?  The fact he remains on the roster is a very good indication they do not hate him.  They just love Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I think they don't feel Geno Smith is a good quarterback and they know that while better Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't very good either.  They don't want a quarterback controversy, the early killer schedule is hard enough without a team implosion.

And after 10 wins last season and after his outstanding performance in Buffalo a week earlier, FItzpatrick didn't deserve a benching, especially in a game we weren't going to win anyway.  It's better that his reputation is intact, his locker room respect is intact, and we go out on Sunday and put up a strong effort against Seattle in a must-win contest.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I took your statement of "love affair" to mean that the Jets FO is blind to other QB talent on the roster and only have eyes for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  If that was not your intent I apologize.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had a stellar 2015 by New York Jets standards, he set records no other quarterback had, he was the number one reason why we ascended from a joke to a respectible ten win franchise.  I don't think anyone can dispute that.  He was no game manager like Sanchez, he was no risky gunslinger like Favre, he was no pop gun dump off like Pennington.  Fitzpatrick did it all, was terrific.

So when the guy that turned your franchise around becomes a free agent, you say things like "he's our starter" in the offseason to court him back into the fold.  It's a negotiating tactic.  It's a way to let others around the NFL know they're not going to out bid you or take him away.  It's a way to soften up his wife and kids who don't want to move to another town for the 4th time in 5 years. 

As far as ignoring other QB's on the market this offseason, like who?  Was there someone great out there?  We tried to trade up to take Wentz.  We retained Petty and took a flyer on Hackenberg.  I don't think anyone on Earth thinks that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the short term or long term answer for the franchise.  He's a band aid, he buys us time for the kids to develop, he's a serviceable cork in Geno Smith's dyke.

SAR I

Well, I dont see him as a band aid.  He's a bottle neck that keeps you from moving your franchise along and it will be worse when he's the starter next year too.  And I disagree with your take on the announcement of him as the starter that day after the choke job.  They lost leverage when they made that comment.  No different than Rex with Revis. Hence caving and paying him 12 mil this season. He won.

Brian Hoyer was out there.  Sam Bradford clearly became available via trade.  They could have drafted Paxton Lynch.  Osweiler was out there, albeit out of our price range. RGIII, Case Keenum, Drew Stanton, Matt Moore, Chase Daniel, Nick Foles became available. McCown.   The Jets didnt pursue a single one of them because of their love affair with Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

He's clearly the best QB on the roster but again, this really wasnt about any of that.  I was just simply answering the OP's question.  If you hate a player, that player doesnt stay on your roster.  So while they may not think Geno is any good, and rightfully so.   I dont think they "hate" him.

That's all I'm saying here. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I think they don't feel Geno Smith is a good quarterback and they know that while better Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't very good either.  They don't want a quarterback controversy, the early killer schedule is hard enough without a team implosion.

And after 10 wins last season and after his outstanding performance in Buffalo a week earlier, FItzpatrick didn't deserve a benching, especially in a game we weren't going to win anyway.  It's better that his reputation is intact, his locker room respect is intact, and we go out on Sunday and put up a strong effort against Seattle in a must-win contest.

SAR I

That's fine and probably accurate.  But we're talking about hating a player.  If they "hated" him, he'd be gone.  

I'm just kind of baffled that this is a conversation.  It seems very simple.

I mean, seriously....we are in a really bad situation if we have a staff that wastes a roster spot on a player they "hate".  What's the point? 

I dont think Fitz deserves to be benched.  I never said that.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:09 AM, johnnyjet said:

Never has it been more obvious the the staff despise Geno smith.  Yesterday our best chance to win followed up his career best with his career worst performance. And at times I had no idea why he was throwing or who it was intended for.  Yes I have been a fitz fan but if he plays like that again he deserves to be benched.   But why did the Jets not put in Geno? Yes he's horrible but no way could he have done worse.  Hell he might have accidentally sparked the team.  When I watch what's going on in Philly it may be time to give Petty a chance. 

The coaching staff needs to be called out regardless for not putting in Smith yesterday. The game was still within reach. 

Fans hate him to for his lackluster leadership, curing out the fans and throwing more INT's then TD's in his career. That will do it.....

Archived