The NY Jets staff hate Geno Smith

johnnyjet

On 9/26/2016 at 7:09 AM, johnnyjet said:

Never has it been more obvious the the staff despise Geno smith.  Yesterday our best chance to win followed up his career best with his career worst performance. And at times I had no idea why he was throwing or who it was intended for.  Yes I have been a fitz fan but if he plays like that again he deserves to be benched.   But why did the Jets not put in Geno? Yes he's horrible but no way could he have done worse.  Hell he might have accidentally sparked the team.  When I watch what's going on in Philly it may be time to give Petty a chance. 

The coaching staff needs to be called out regardless for not putting in Smith yesterday. The game was still within reach. 

probably true.  most QBs would not get to throw INT 6.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't turn anything around.  He had a hot streak at the end of last season and played big in fourth quarter comebacks against a cupcake schedule.

As evidenced by the Cincinnati and Kansas City contests, he's still the same guy he always was.

Just like Geno Smith.

Old dogs don't change their spots.  Geno didn't even get to "woof".

SAR I

You're all over the place.  It's hard to keep up with your thoughts.  It's like each post on the same topic is an independent thought from the other.  It's like hitting a moving target.

If it's a tactic, kudos because it makes for a challenging debate.  This particular comment lacks cohesion and its contradictory to all your other posts on the topic and I dont even know how to respond and dont think it would even matter if I could because the logic thrown around on this topic is making my brain hurt. 

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Why does his off-field demeanor factor into playing time?  I think I made the point in that thread a few weeks ago about some guy quitting football watching because he didn't want his kids to get addicted to the culture.  Why should anyone care about the guy's demeanor off the field?  He's not the most personable guy out there, but as far as I know, he hasn't broken any laws.  

Fitzpatrick turned around his career in I believe year 5 or 6 to even be what he is right now.  Until then, Geno beats him out in terms of career numbers too I think.  

A spread system has numerous factors, but two very important ones are the deep pass, and the threat of run.  Clemson runs a spread system, but the reason why they could attack Alabama last year was because they throw extremely well down the field, and they had a good running game in place.  If you stretch a defense horizontally, they become weaker vertically, but teams don't have to face that fear with us at all.  

That's another misconception that I see around here, just because he went to Harvard, Fitz is smart.  He is anything but when it comes to football.  He might save me more money on my taxes than Geno, but that's not my concern.  I did the film reviews all last year, and it's astonishing how often Fitz just locks into a player from the get-go.  His other favorite move is the look away, then turn suddenly and throw move, even if the guy is covered.  

Geno does come off as aloof, but I'm just not sure anyone should care.  Mark Sanchez was personable, not like that gave me any joy.  Not like I sit there saying "Yeah, he just threw an INT, but I tell ya what, if I'm ever in a foxhole, he's be there with me!!".   

Great post.  Your take on the situation is spot on.  I'm just curious if you actually know the real answer or you're playing coy.

It's pretty obvious. 

one thing is for certain, coaches and front office executives don't like to be casual with QB changes

Imagine they bench Fitz in KC and Geno is awesome. Then they have a QB controversy. Next, imagine Geno craps the bed vs Seattle then what, they go back to Fitz? It's not like changing hats, it's a big move and not to be approached lightly. The team can't go back and forth it creates a ton of uncertainty.  

End of the day they don't really have a choice. Geno is a POS on the last year of his rookie contract. IT's not like he's Jared GOff with all sorts of untapped potential. He's a loser.  Petty could be decent but he's hurt, and Hack might be the worst QB employed by any NFL team right now 

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't know, alternating W's and L's for 11 weeks in his first year and going 2-11 in his second year might easily make you hate a selfish guy with no talent who replaced a stand-up guy who won 4 playoff games in a calendar year.

We all loved Mark Sanchez in September of 2011, we had finally found our franchise quarterback.  And then we were led to believe that no, he's a bum, he's no good, and the answer to improving the QB position was Geno Smith.  And then he sucked worse than Sanchez did.  And that's when we realized the AFC Finalist team was dead and buried and we'd be in the Geno Smith abyss for years.

And we were.  And it sucked.  And we aren't going back there again.  And Ryan Fitzpatrick was a glimmer of hope last year.  And Bryce Petty is a glimmer of hope for next year.  So stuck here in limbo between the old and new, we don't want no Geno to remind us of the past.

SAR I

Wait, if you were led to believe that Geno was the glimmer of hope before, and then it failed.  Why are you believing in Petty (or Hackenberg possibly after that) if it already failed us recently?  Shouldn't you be skeptical of all glimmers of hope?

Mark Sanchez has done what exactly since we moved on from him?  Wouldn't his lack of success or extended tenure suggest that the "4 playoff game victories" were a byproduct of the talent that surrounded him than Sanchez?  Wouldn't Fitz be another reminder of that past, because he's succeeding with the team around him, and not his play?  

I am not a fan of Geno; I also understand the Fitz signing and although I wish the Jets were in a better situation, I think that Fitz gives the team the best chance to win games.

That being said, I think Bowles should have benched Fitz for a series or 2. Even before his 2nd pick (and def. before the 3rd) Fitz was showing that he was locking on receivers, forcing throws and trying to win on every pass. Before that he seemed off all game.

I think you pull him for a series and tell him that he is locking in and forcing throws and have him calm down. You put Geno in for a series. This gives Fitz time to recenter himself. Also, they were doubling Marshall and Decker. Geno has the arm strength to his Anderson and Jalin in stride down field. Even an incomplete could change the game plan for KC and get the Jets into a rhythm. Give the receivers some options. The line was protecting well enough and Fitz would get a chance to clear his head.

This of course is just my opinion. I am sure if Bowles knew Fitz was going to throw 6 picks, he would have pulled him, but I think you let Fitz clear his head. Tell him he needs to stop forcing the balls and locking in. Not sure if it would have worked. But sometimes you need to shake things up a bit.

I also think you say in the press conference that Fitz is still my starter, but if he continues to struggle he will get pulled. You don't want Fitz looking over his shoulder, but you don't want him thinking he can play like he did as still start. You also let the team know there is accountability at all levels and that the CS will make changes and adjustments.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

I am not a fan of Geno; I also understand the Fitz signing and although I wish the Jets were in a better situation, I think that Fitz gives the team the best chance to win games.

That being said, I think Bowles should have benched Fitz for a series or 2. Even before his 2nd pick (and def. before the 3rd) Fitz was showing that he was locking on receivers, forcing throws and trying to win on every pass. Before that he seemed off all game.

I think you pull him for a series and tell him that he is locking in and forcing throws and have him calm down. You put Geno in for a series. This gives Fitz time to recenter himself. Also, they were doubling Marshall and Decker. Geno has the arm strength to his Anderson and Jalin in stride down field. Even an incomplete could change the game plan for KC and get the Jets into a rhythm. Give the receivers some options. The line was protecting well enough and Fitz would get a chance to clear his head.

This of course is just my opinion. I am sure if Bowles knew Fitz was going to throw 6 picks, he would have pulled him, but I think you let Fitz clear his head. Tell him he needs to stop forcing the balls and locking in. Not sure if it would have worked. But sometimes you need to shake things up a bit.

I also think you say in the press conference that Fitz is still my starter, but if he continues to struggle he will get pulled. You don't want Fitz looking over his shoulder, but you don't want him thinking he can play like he did as still start. You also let the team know there is accountability at all levels and that the CS will make changes and adjustments.

accountability vs loyalty is tricky.  if it happens vs the seahawks which is possible, he may need to bench fitz if only to be respected for not playing favorites like rex.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Great post.  Your take on the situation is spot on.  I'm just curious if you actually know the real answer or you're playing coy.

It's pretty obvious. 

I think that would get too political, but it might be a factor for sure.  

Other issues I've though possible:

1.  Idzik draft choice:  Kind of a hatred by association thing.  Because Idzik was bad, people hate the choices he made.  Heck, there were people clamoring for DRC after he went to the Giants, even though they have a horrible pass defense.  

2.  Roc-Nation:  Geno was one of the first to sign with them, which some may have interpreted as going outside the lines and bucking trends, being arrogant.  

3.  Pre-Draft Slide:  At one point, he was almost a lock for the No. 1 pick, and then he slid badly.  "Pundits" picked apart his abilities, so people still remember that.  However, same pundits picked apart Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, and Teddy Bridgewater.  

4.  QB Face Value:  The face of the franchise back then was Rex Ryan.  Once he's gone, the QB is the face of the franchise during a dark period, ergo people associate him as the biggest reason.  

5.  Draft Slide:  They usually invite guys that are all but assured to go in the first round, so when he slid, it was a shock to most people.  Then when he was unhappy that he didn't get picked, people expected him to be happy?  We have Tom Brady, who wasn't even expected to be picked in the top half of the draft, cry his eyes out years later about sliding in the draft, but Geno couldn't be upset in the moment?

6.  Pre-Draft Exposure:  One of the biggest ways people get attached to players is the pre-draft process, where people make guesses on their ability.  The best way to do this is the combine, Senior Bowl, and all these workout shows that showcase talent.  Geno skipped most of these, so there aren't videos of him throwing the ball "faster than 97.6% of all QBs we've ever tested"

On 9/26/2016 at 7:41 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Geno may be around because they are waiting for Petty's shoulder to heal? I wonder if they wait till we are out of contention then thow Petty in the rest of the way?

They named him #2 before Petty's shoulder was injured. This makes no sense. If you're not going to put him in after your QB's 3rd, then 4th, then 5th interception, why did you keep him?

39 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If I was Geno Smith i WOULD DEMAND A TRADE OR ASKED TO BE RELEASED 

And after you/he stomps your feet and has a hissy fit the front office will tell him to shut the f*ck up and go grab his shine box... er clipboard

nice-try-now-go-home-and-get-your-fuckin

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

one thing is for certain, coaches and front office executives don't like to be casual with QB changes

Imagine they bench Fitz in KC and Geno is awesome. Then they have a QB controversy. Next, imagine Geno craps the bed vs Seattle then what, they go back to Fitz? It's not like changing hats, it's a big move and not to be approached lightly. The team can't go back and forth it creates a ton of uncertainty.  

End of the day they don't really have a choice. Geno is a POS on the last year of his rookie contract. IT's not like he's Jared GOff with all sorts of untapped potential. He's a loser.  Petty could be decent but he's hurt, and Hack might be the worst QB employed by any NFL team right now 

Great points. There's so many relevant perspectives to this situation other than "Geno sucks so Bowles was scared to put him in". Makes no sense 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc and Bowles stick with Fitzpatrick and our season is bad one Woody Johnson will FIRE them!!!!!!!! 

Woody is not Firing them after 2 seasons with a journeymen QB. Woody should be patient as should the fan base. Let Bowles and Mac get their system in place. Once in place then we see where the team is at and how playes are developed. Do you think it happens overnight when you don't have a franchise QB? Think how we would be talking if we hit on a QB like Wentz. You can't fire every GM and coach after two years. 

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think that would get too political, but it might be a factor for sure.  

Other issues I've though possible:

1.  Idzik draft choice:  Kind of a hatred by association thing.  Because Idzik was bad, people hate the choices he made.  Heck, there were people clamoring for DRC after he went to the Giants, even though they have a horrible pass defense.  

2.  Roc-Nation:  Geno was one of the first to sign with them, which some may have interpreted as going outside the lines and bucking trends, being arrogant.  

3.  Pre-Draft Slide:  At one point, he was almost a lock for the No. 1 pick, and then he slid badly.  "Pundits" picked apart his abilities, so people still remember that.  However, same pundits picked apart Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, and Teddy Bridgewater.  

4.  QB Face Value:  The face of the franchise back then was Rex Ryan.  Once he's gone, the QB is the face of the franchise during a dark period, ergo people associate him as the biggest reason.  

5.  Draft Slide:  They usually invite guys that are all but assured to go in the first round, so when he slid, it was a shock to most people.  Then when he was unhappy that he didn't get picked, people expected him to be happy?  We have Tom Brady, who wasn't even expected to be picked in the top half of the draft, cry his eyes out years later about sliding in the draft, but Geno couldn't be upset in the moment?

6.  Pre-Draft Exposure:  One of the biggest ways people get attached to players is the pre-draft process, where people make guesses on their ability.  The best way to do this is the combine, Senior Bowl, and all these workout shows that showcase talent.  Geno skipped most of these, so there aren't videos of him throwing the ball "faster than 97.6% of all QBs we've ever tested"

It was the toughest day the Brady family has ever had to deal with, okay?

These are valid but probably giving people too much credit.  The only thing that I think you're leaving out is the "he sucks" option.  Which is obviously a rather simplistic response but it could also just happen to be that simple.  

On 9/26/2016 at 3:59 PM, phill1c said:

I love this: the debate is about a performance Geno Smith had TWO PLUS YEARS ago. Ryan Fitzpatrick has had 3 INT in the fourth quarter in two of his last 4 starts!!!

And Geno Smith was pulled. Yet Ryan Fitzpatrick is allowed to throw as many INTs as possible with no accountability.

Exactly. Reading through some of these comments is just fantastic! 

20 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, Savage69 said:

Totally agree on another board they are calling Bowles Fat Herm.. No emotion I think someone in his family was a Vulcan at least Hermie showed emotion..dancing-turkey.gif

Did Coach Bowles not show emotion, or did he not show it to you .   Some people discipline  their kids in the supermarket isle when they misbehave while others do in in the privacy of their homes . Which kid do you think appreciates their punishment the least ? 

6 hours ago, JiF said:

You're all over the place.  It's hard to keep up with your thoughts.  It's like each post on the same topic is an independent thought from the other.  It's like hitting a moving target.

If it's a tactic, kudos because it makes for a challenging debate.  This particular comment lacks cohesion and its contradictory to all your other posts on the topic and I dont even know how to respond and dont think it would even matter if I could because the logic thrown around on this topic is making my brain hurt. 

I'll try to outline my main points so that they become clear:

1.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is a JAG but is necessary for the team at this time.  I am not a fan of his in the sense that I do not root for him to do well personally, I am not vested in his past or his future, I won't buy his jersey, but I respect the position we have put him in and was very happy with his performance last season.  Had the Jets not re-signed him, I would not have shed a single tear.

2.  Mike Maccagnan is doing the right thing in trying to develop multiple quarterbacks at once and I applaud him for it.  Unlike year's past where I thought our GM was an idiot, I think we hit the lottery this time so I am not anxious to get Petty out there, I trust Maccagnan to green light him once he feels he is ready and not a moment sooner.

3.  As our backup quarterback in 2015, Geno Smith cost us our 11th win and a playoff berth.  The one time we needed him to play well, to reach down and find that passion to will us to victory he choked, he couldn't do it.  $2 million dollars for 55 minutes worth of effort, he no-showed.

4. As our backup quarterback in 2016, Geno Smith is to blame for the Kansas City loss and whatever comes of this season.  Year 3 is the year that the guy you drafted as your future needs to step-up and expolde or be held accountable and he's a nobody, he's nothing, his absolute failure at the job he was hired to do has led to draft picks spent on QB's instead of CB's, stunted development of our young kids, and the retention of an expensive journeyman for big money.  If Geno Smith doesn't bust, the world is different.

I hope that clarifies things.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'll try to outline my main points so that they become clear:

2.  Mike Maccagnan is doing the right thing in trying to develop multiple quarterbacks at once and I applaud him for it.  Unlike year's past where I thought our GM was an idiot, I think we hit the lottery this time so I am not anxious to get Petty out there, I trust Maccagnan to green light him once he feels he is ready and not a moment sooner.

SAR I

SAR I who is developing these QB's please dont tell me Ryan Fitzpatrick............

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

Wait, if you were led to believe that Geno was the glimmer of hope before, and then it failed.  Why are you believing in Petty (or Hackenberg possibly after that) if it already failed us recently?  Shouldn't you be skeptical of all glimmers of hope?

Mark Sanchez has done what exactly since we moved on from him?  Wouldn't his lack of success or extended tenure suggest that the "4 playoff game victories" were a byproduct of the talent that surrounded him than Sanchez?  Wouldn't Fitz be another reminder of that past, because he's succeeding with the team around him, and not his play?  

The question was "why do people hate Geno so much?" and I answered it.  Bad play is the main thing, his personal issues another thing, but he busted and busted loudly, his little faux spark in his rookie year led us to drop Sanchez, the disaster the next year led us to rebuild the entire front office, his failure to grab the starting job has cost us high draft picks, put Fitzpatrick under center, and more.  The guy took a wrecking ball to the franchise and the fans couldn't be more disappointed.  Just looking at his face makes us physically ill.

SAR I

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I who is developing these QB's please dont tell me Ryan Fitzpatrick............

No speaking until you apologize for Geno Smith.

1. Cost us the 2015 playoffs by blowing our 11th win.

2. Cost us the 2016 season by busting and putting Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

You are one of his biggest supporters.   You owe us an apology for his poor performance and your poor judgement.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No speaking until you apologize for Geno Smith.

1. Cost us the 2015 playoffs by blowing our 11th win.

2. Cost us the 2016 season by busting and putting Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

You are one of his biggest supporters.   You owe us an apology for his poor performance and your poor judgement.

SAR I

I owe you nothing these ridiculous accusations you make are comical i don't take them personally. 

The Jets and Woody Johnson owe every season ticket holder since 1969 an apology if anything. 

I do wonder what Geno Smith could do with this team but I'm ready to move on lets move forward with Bryce Petty. 

joewilly12

Archived