Jets to work out CJ Spiller tomorrow

jetscrazey

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

I'm into this too. Marshall's looked choppy, Spiller's had some really dynamic years and has had a relatively light workload for 29...I generally am in favor of usng small amounts of money on former stars to play bit roles.

He had those years under Gailey.

Just now, jetscrazey said:

a 10 yard return without a fumble is better than a 20 yard return with a fumble.

Point taken.  But the better solution is a coach, ya know, actually doing his job and showing the kid how to protect the ball.

That, and threatening him that if he fumbles again... "don't bother coming back to the sidelines.  Go straight to the locker room and pack your sh!t"

That's what a coach is supposed to do.

Many of us wanted Spiller a few years ago when he was a free agent. This is a good chance to get him on the cheap. We still can use a breakaway threat type of back, ala Bruce \Harper, Leon Washington.  Sign this beast. 

He was a free agent last year not a few years ago. The problem with spiller is that his skill set is similar to fortes. We need a big bruiser for the hard short used plays.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

If we're looking for bench depth, what about Karlos Williams? Young power back that could complement forte and Powell quite well. That is of course, if he didn't eat his way back up to 260 during this 4 game suspension. 

Yeah, Spiller seems to be too similar to Forte and Powell. I'd prefer a power back to grind out those short yardage situations.

I would prefer Ray Rice but Spiller is ok by me 

C.J. Spiller working out for Jets on Tuesday, per reports

Baltimore Ravens v New Orleans Saints
C.J. Spiller #28 of the New Orleans Saints is tackled by Terrence Brooks #31 of the Baltimore Ravens at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on September 1, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen | Getty Images)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on September 26, 2016 at 8:00 PM, updated September 26, 2016 at 8:02 PM

The Jets could be looking to add another running back to the roster. 

According to multiple reports, former Saints and Bills tailback C.J. Spiller will work out for the Jets on Tuesday. NFL Network first reported the news of Spiller's impending visit. 

Spiller, 29, was originally selected in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Bills. He spent the first five years of his career with the team, and established himself as one of the league's more dynamic players. 

Appearing in 70 games, Spiller ran for 3,321 yards and 12 touchdowns, caught 158 passes for 1,195 yards and six touchdowns, and returned two kickoffs for scores. Spiller's best season came in 2012 when he set career-highs in rushing yards (1,244) and receiving yards (459). He earned Pro Bowl honors as a result. 

Unfortunately for Spiller, injuries began to take their toll on him towards the end of his tenure with the Bills. In October of 2014, he broke his collarbone and missed seven games. He finished the year with just 300 rushing yards and averaged only 3.8 yards per carry. 

7 things that went wrong for Jets vs. Chiefs

7 things that went wrong for Jets vs. Chiefs

Who and what is to blame for the Jets' brutal loss to Kansas City?

After the season, the Bills elected not to re-sign Spiller, and he made his way to the Saints on a three-year, $18 million contract. In 2015, Spiller appeared in 13 games and ran for 112 yards on 36 carries. He caught 34 passes for 239 yards and two touchdowns. 

In a surprising move, the Saints released Spiller on Sept. 13 after listing him as inactive in Week 1. Spiller worked out for the Packers last week. 

The Jets have three running backs on the 53-man roster— Matt Forte, Bilal Powell and Troymaine Pope. Forte (the starter) and Powell (third-down back) have roles on offense, while Pope has been inactive the first three weeks of the season. 

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

37 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Similar to forte? Isn't spiller  a fast runner? That makes him different than forte. I really like forte but he doesn't really outrun anyone (these days anyway)

At this point Spiller isn't out running anybody and he's not considered a power back. We seem to lose all sense of the running game when we're in the red zone that I can't help but wonder if it's a reflection on our short yardage running offense.

2 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

If we're looking for bench depth, what about Karlos Williams? Young power back that could complement forte and Powell quite well. That is of course, if he didn't eat his way back up to 260 during this 4 game suspension. 

He wouldn't be available for the next game because of said suspension. Also, he doesn't return kicks.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Point taken.  But the better solution is a coach, ya know, actually doing his job and showing the kid how to protect the ball.

That, and threatening him that if he fumbles again... "don't bother coming back to the sidelines.  Go straight to the locker room and pack your sh!t"

That's what a coach is supposed to do.

The guy has been playing football his entire life.  He didn't come from some community college.  He was coached by Urban Meyer for three years.  You think those guys didn't try to teach him how to protect the ball.  Sending him to the locker room and pack his sh*t seems like giving up and replacing him.  You know, like trying to get another guy, like Spiller in. It might be nice to reduce his workload and let him just return punts for a bit.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The guy has been playing football his entire life.  He didn't come from some community college.  He was coached by Urban Meyer for three years.  You think those guys didn't try to teach him how to protect the ball.  Sending him to the locker room and pack his sh*t seems like giving up and replacing him.  You know, like trying to get another guy, like Spiller in. It might be nice to reduce his workload and let him just return punts for a bit.

I think a lot of marshall's problems are adjusting to the NFL and protecting himself better. He's not a big guy so he's going to get lit up if he's not more aware of his surroundings and continues to take big hits every game, that's the kind of stuff hes not going to be able to get away with in this league

I think people should step back a bit with the Marshall fumbles and look at the bigger picture. We are talking about a UDFA rookie who worked his butt off in camp and preseason, made a bunch of plays on offense and special teams and EARNED a roster spot. He is a young kid thrown into the spotlight as both a WR and KR, which is no excuse but also makes it a bit understandable when he can't hold on to the ball at times. We're talking BIG, fast NFL vets laying the smackdown on a 5'10, 200lb rookie.

Just give the kid a break. He's made some nice catches and had some nice returns as well as losing a couple of fumbles. These are growing pains, he'll figure things out and could very well end up being a great player for us. 

I get it, if you keep giving the ball away, you won't last i the NFL. But its week 3 in his rookie season. You don't cut him, you don't even bench him, YET. Especially when he's making plays.    

If you are a border line player early in tour career don't get hurt long term and don;t turn the ball over.  This isn't a day care so if after your one pass for a big mistake you make another one the next week you sjhould be on the edge as far as your job is concerned.  He's made one really big return and cost two tds with fumbles, he fumbles again and he won;t have to worry about the psqaud, he'll be heading to the CFL

33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think people should step back a bit with the Marshall fumbles and look at the bigger picture. We are talking about a UDFA rookie who worked his butt off in camp and preseason, made a bunch of plays on offense and special teams and EARNED a roster spot. He is a young kid thrown into the spotlight as both a WR and KR, which is no excuse but also makes it a bit understandable when he can't hold on to the ball at times. We're talking BIG, fast NFL vets laying the smackdown on a 5'10, 200lb rookie.

Just give the kid a break. He's made some nice catches and had some nice returns as well as losing a couple of fumbles. These are growing pains, he'll figure things out and could very well end up being a great player for us. 

I get it, if you keep giving the ball away, you won't last i the NFL. But its week 3 in his rookie season. You don't cut him, you don't even bench him, YET. Especially when he's making plays.    

He fumbled throughout the preseason as well. If he doesn't clean his act quick, he's not going to last

Archived