My View: Jets' Two Biggest Issues

varjet

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's ridiculous. He should have been benched after the 4th pick and he should be the starter this coming week.  

Exactly what situation do you think Todd Bowles would find himself in this week if say whoever replaced Fitzpatrick came into the game and either won the game or put enough points on the board to put a scare in the Chiefs ?  This team has 1 leader , and like it or not, It's Fitzpatrick .  When he gets bench, their will be no going back .

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Put a QB who can play well, consistently and there are no other issues to discuss.  

We would be sitting at 3-0

agreed, but where is that player  ? He's in Philly.  Don't worry, I have high hopes for Hackenberg . Jet fans are going to love him . One week they will throw him a party and the next week they will want to hang him.  He's going to win us a Super bowl thou >

50 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Exactly what situation do you think Todd Bowles would find himself in this week if say whoever replaced Fitzpatrick came into the game and either won the game or put enough points on the board to put a scare in the Chiefs ?  This team has 1 leader , and like it or not, It's Fitzpatrick .  When he gets bench, their will be no going back .

When the QB has a meltdown he should be benched for the rest of the game. No good can come from leaving him in the game, and as we saw, Fitz's meltdown got even worse. I believe they should have put Geno in to finish the game (though I am no fan of his) and Fitz can start the next game. I feel what you are saying is true only if you START another QB the next game. In that case, I agree, there's no going back. In this case Fitz needed some time to chill and I see nothing wrong with that.

Interesting comments coming in from all sides. 

Factually speaking did anyone see Bowles talk to Fitz on the sidelines Sunday in KC during all this. 

Does anyone ever see Jets QBs talking to coaches and players the sidelines during games like I see other teams QB's doing all the time looking at the laptop or print outs of opposing teams defenses. 

How about throwing the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Bradford not really an option. Did you see what the vikes gave up for that?

Just plain disagree about the Nick Foles option. 

So what giving up draft picks for players that are NFL seasoned instead of the slugs we draft I'm in. 

I like our chances that way better

Lets revisit this at the end of the season. 

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So what giving up draft picks for players that are NFL seasoned instead of the slugs we draft I'm in. 

I like our chances that way better

Lets revisit this at the end of the season. 

1st round pick, 4th round pick.

Injury prone - multiple seasons

His stats comparable to Fitz's in 2015 

You have to pay him 17mill

He's playing well so far but having the best defense in football in first 3 weeks helps. Plus he's the new guy, people haven't figured him out yet in that new offense. 

We'll see how it goes. I think Jets did the right thing. 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, but I don't think he'll ever swap out Harris for anyone as long as he's healthy. He's too stubborn. Having Harris cover a real receiving TE on obvious passing downs is mindless. 

Who says Harris ever covers anyone? Chasing after them - yes - covering them NO 

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Wait, you want to bench the leader of the team because he's having a bad day ? Do you not understand the ramifications of such a move ?

"Ramifications" in no particular order:

- keeps your high injury risk starting QB out of unnecessary harm's way;

- shows the team no one is above getting pulled for poor performance, even the HC's fayvees;

- could build team cohesiveness with public support for and belief in him even after getting pulled;

- prevents the humiliation of his QB throwing a 5th (and then a 6th) interception;

- no one would care after the game was over since anyone could see he was simply as off as off can be that particular day;

- shows the team you are paying attention to what is transpiring before everyone's eyes, and that you know what the hell you're doing.

16 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

No TE, no FB means no running game. No protection from a QB meltdown. This week a TE. They may run a bit more.

We essentially had no TE last season too but Enunwa was kinda filling that role, it seems this season they are trying to get him the ball more and using him to block less.

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We essentially had no TE last season too but Enunwa was kinda filling that role, it seems this season they are trying to get him the ball more and using him to block less.

We did have a power runner last season too. The Jets want to throw but are ill equipped to do so consistently at QB. Because they built so much up on the passing game, they now also lack the ability to power run the football. Change at QB needs to take place. 

Since two primary targets went out and got a QB to sign again, the Jets over paid. They are now stuck with him and three unknowns. Not a good position to be in with a weak armed, one read QB as the starter.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

- keeps your high injury risk starting QB out of harm's way unnecessarily;

- shows the team no one is above getting pulled for poor performance, even the HC's fayvees;

- could build team cohesiveness with public support for and belief in him even after getting pulled;

- prevents the humiliation of his QB throwing a 5th (and then a 6th) interception;

- no one would care after the game was over; anyone could see he was as off as off can be that particular day;

- shows the team you are paying attention to what is transpiring before everyone's eyes, and that you know what the hell you're doing.

These seem to all be about Coach Bowles, but what would be the ramifications for the team . You folks think like fans, which is perfectly understandable .

- no one would care after the game was over; anyone could see he was as off as off can be that particular day;

These seem to all be about Coach Bowles, but what would be the ramifications for the team . You folks think like fans, which is perfectly understandable .

26 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

We did have a power runner last season too. The Jets want to throw but are ill equipped to do so consistently at QB. Because they built so much up on the passing game, they now also lack the ability to power run the football. Change at QB needs to take place. 

Since two primary targets went out and got a QB to sign again, the Jets over paid. They are now stuck with him and three unknowns. Not a good position to be in with a weak armed, one read QB as the starter.

I agree with you that we no longer have a power runner which is something we really need, Forte though is a great back and I think we should be using him a bit better with short screen plays that would take pressure off Fitz and the receivers. 

I don't agree that a change needs to take place at QB and yes i know the play Fitz gave us was atrocious. The fact that he wasn't pulled after his fourth interception should tell you all you need to know about how our coaches view Geno at this point. I am not worried about Fitz i think he and the entire team as a whole will look much better next week, this is really the first time in what 20 games now that i have felt Fitz actually lost for us. I am not asking you to agree with me because I know your mind is probably already made up on Fitz but right now he is our best chance at winning and from my perspective it is pretty clear that the team is still in rebuild mode which i believe is actually going much better than many on the forum would have you think (lots of young talent i think will emerge over the next couple of years)

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Nothing. There would be no ramifications. Bowles gets up on the podium and says yeah well you all saw it he just didn't have it today and the way things were going it didn't look like he'd mount a comeback, and I didn't want our starting QB to get hurt. And that reasoning - plus a number of other things he could say - most definitely would be accepted by the team and the media. The team - led in particular by those that lobbied for his return - would still rally around Fitz in the locker room and tell reporters that he's still got their confidence. At the most, they'd razz him a little by sarcastically saying "Hey great game bra," then give him love-nuggies and they all laugh it off and move onto preparing for Seattle. Nothing happens. 

As things stand now, he has not 1% more or less confidence of his teammates today than if he was pulled after 4 picks (never mind after 5 picks) instead of finishing with 6 picks. Your accusation of us thinking like fans is ironic, since you are thinking like a fan, not a player. (I know you are, but what am I?) They know each other well, they like each other, and every player would want a second chance for himself, and would easily allow it for their team leader.

If Fitz was despised within the locker room and then got pulled, then what you're saying might have legs. So far they're pretty loyal to him, and pulling him with under 5 minutes left in a game, when he's that off and they're already down a couple of TDs, would do nothing. 

And not for nothing, but if Smith came in and he did lead a comeback, all the better. The goal is to win games not run a popularity contest Geno would never win anyway. Oh, and if that happened, Fitz would still be the QB but he'd appropriately be on a shorter leash than before.

End of ramifications.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I agree with you that we no longer have a power runner which is something we really need, Forte though is a great back and I think we should be using him a bit better with short screen plays that would take pressure off Fitz and the receivers. 

I don't agree that a change needs to take place at QB and yes i know the play Fitz gave us was atrocious. The fact that he wasn't pulled after his fourth interception should tell you all you need to know about how our coaches view Geno at this point. I am not worried about Fitz i think he and the entire team as a whole will look much better next week, this is really the first time in what 20 games now that i have felt Fitz actually lost for us. I am not asking you to agree with me because I know your mind is probably already made up on Fitz but right now he is our best chance at winning and from my perspective it is pretty clear that the team is still in rebuild mode which i believe is actually going much better than many on the forum would have you think (lots of young talent i think will emerge over the next couple of years)

I respect your thoughts bro. It was very telling about Geno on Sunday. If they have that little confidence in him why is he taking a roster spot? I know Petty is injured. I think Bowles never thought to take Fitz out of the game. Or at least I want to think that.. I know somebody had to say something on that sideline.

maybe a KCC screamed it to the Jets sideline. I know a game like that I am talking big trash to the other team lol

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, but I don't think he'll ever swap out Harris for anyone as long as he's healthy. He's too stubborn. Having Harris cover a real receiving TE on obvious passing downs is mindless. 

+1 I cannot for the life of me figure out why we drafted 2 supposedly fast LB'ers to have the old man covering the TE as he did last year unsuccessfully

On 9/27/2016 at 1:28 PM, varjet said:

It is not Ryan Fitzpatrick.  As has been said before, he is what he is.  He can go from best player in the Conference to worst in the league, week to week.  But he needs coaching support.

1)Understanding that last year the Jets' coaches did have somewhat of an element of surprise, it does not appear that this year the coaches are bringing their A game.  The team in games 1 and 3 seemed unprepared and put players in difficult positions.  Defensively, they need to scheme better and not expose Revis and others.  Offensively, the attack needs to be more balanced.  The schedule is very difficult, and the Jets are facing teams that also have excellent personnel and good coaches.  The coaches need to step it up.

After 3 interceptions, the QB should be pulled.  Its ok-its a bad day.  They are supposed to have one of the NFL's most experienced and capable back up QBs.  Why is Geno on the roster if he can't be used as a change of pace when Fitz is having a meltdown.

They need to find a way to run more, to get Powell the ball more, and to keep J Marshall from fumbling.

And if your CB1 is getting burned repeatedly, you change something.

2)The secondary to me just appears to be awful.  They need to do something differently here.  Perhaps bring up Martin and Middleton from the PS and send back down some TEs.  They need to find a way to cover people better-this is a passing league.

If Fitz is schemed better, and they don't fall behind, the Jets will play better.  I think for the upcoming Seahawks game the challenge is on the coaches to deliver a game plan that everyone thinks is a winner.

Stopped reading after the first sentence.  This team has it's share of issues but you to cavalierly dismiss Fitz horrid and inconsistent play tells me you are truly missing the point.   Other than Buffalo, leaving their corners out to dry, most team are going to do everything possible to take away Marshall and Decker.   What does Fitz do?  He decides he is going throw the ball into double and triple coverage.   THIS IS A 12 YEAR VET WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, NOT SOME 2ND OR 3RD YEAR PLAYER.  The next time he looks off the defense may be the first time all year.   The other issue is teams KNOW he can't beat them deep (at best he tosses a 50-50 ball downfield) so they can cheat with their safeties and take away some of the underneath routes so we have to dink and dunk our way down the field.  This also means they can crowd the line of scrimmage, making our run  game less effective and rendering screen passes an exercise in futility.

The other major issue for me is coaching.  There is absolutely NO REASON to have David Harris trying to cover a TE.  I would sit his ass and play Bruce Carter in those situations.  The overall lack of adjustments, the overplaying of an "in over his head" rookie in J. Marshall at the expense of Robby Anderson and or Charone Peake is just another example of Bowles cluelessness or stubbornness or both.  

I think the Defense will be fine; they bend but don't usually break and as Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins get more comfortable I think they will get a lot better.  I also liked what I saw from Burris this Sunday.  No for me the issues this team has can be laid at the feet of the Quarterback and the HC. 

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

- keeps your high injury risk starting QB out of unnecessary harm's way;

- no one would care after the game was over since anyone could see he was simply as off as off can be that particular day;

All this is good and well unless you're pulling him to bring Geno off the bench. :blink: 

Archived