Inside Eric Mangini’s Jets tenure: Favre arm-twist, 2-faced owner, Spygate regret

Ken Schroy

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

If I am Woody, I am telling MacC and Bowles that he wants them to build a Super Bowl caliber team, and that this is the last year that they try to just fill seats.  I would also tell them that they are basically stuck with one another and give them, barring complete Idzik-ian incompetence, 5 years to do that.  

Mac and Bowles are good experienced guys and will grow and learn on the job.   They need to push each other to be accountable and get better, but barring someone freeing up, they should treat it as a marriage-they need to really work at it until they prove its completely broke.  Rex Ryan and Idzik were completely broke.  Mangini was pulled too soon-Rex was lucky to step into a situation where the players were already better and the defense ran a similar scheme.

There should be no players in decline on the Jets' roster next year with fat contracts.  Apply the money to players that can be contributing and rising for the next 2-4 years.  

We can list out the potential 2017 players in another thread, but for 2016 I want to see a better coached team.  We are not replacing the QB in 2016.

Yes, definitely.

Things will heat up next year for this reason too:  Woody Johnson is about to celebrate his 70th birthday and things get a little more urgent right around that time.  Perhaps he'll tamper with New England like his predecessor, tap Bellichick and Brady, give up a few draft picks.

SAR I

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, definitely.
Things will heat up next year for this reason too:  Woody Johnson is about to celebrate his 70th birthday and things get a little more urgent right around that time.  Perhaps he'll tamper with New England like his predecessor, tap Bellichick and Brady, give up a few draft picks.
SAR I

Hasn't Woody done enough tampering already?

What I got out of that article is that Tannenbaum was a sneaking, backdooring sh*tbag that undermined Mangini (Favre hire, reporting the Pats), drafted Gholston, then hung on to his job only to pick up Tim Tebow and make a ton of other splashy nonsensical deals, all the while overpaying through free agency and blaming everyone else.  Tanny took the dipsh*t Woody to school until the fans had had enough.

6 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

What I got out of that article is that Tannenbaum was a sneaking, backdooring sh*tbag that undermined Mangini (Favre hire, reporting the Pats), drafted Gholston, then hung on to his job only to pick up Tim Tebow and make a ton of other splashy nonsensical deals, all the while overpaying through free agency and blaming everyone else.  Tanny took the dipsh*t Woody to school until the fans had had enough.

You got out of it that Tannenbaum drafted Gholston behind Mangini's back? 

Not only is his own retelling inconsistent with logic, but even Mangini doesn't claim this whopper. 

Gholston seems to have been drafted for numerous reasons, beyond just a belief that he'd be good. His mentor was leaking hints that NE would take him (which may have been what happened if we let him slide) and Mangini was pissed at B.Thomas for dogging it after getting his fat contract (as we're we all). Nowhere does Mangini ever hint that he didn't very much want to draft Gholston. 

This is a PR piece of and by a person trying to resurrect his image (and in doing so, his career). I don't blame him for doing so, but I don't take all he says at face value either. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

You got out of it that Tannenbaum drafted Gholston behind Mangini's back? 

Not only is his own retelling inconsistent with logic, but even Mangini doesn't claim this whopper. 

Gholston seems to have been drafted for numerous reasons, beyond just a belief that he'd be good. His mentor was leaking hints that NE would take him (which may have been what happened if we let him slide) and Mangini was pissed at B.Thomas for dogging it after getting his fat contract (as we're we all). Nowhere does Mangini ever hint that he didn't very much want to draft Gholston. 

This is a PR piece of and by a person trying to resurrect his image (and in doing so, his career). I don't blame him for doing so, but I don't take all he says at face value either. 

What you fail to understand is that Tannenbaum is the embodiment of all that is wrong in humanity.  There should be a Batman villain based on him.  In truth, I blame no one for the Gholston pick.  He was picked right where everyone thought he should be.  Tannenbaum was responsible for Tebow.  For Favre (who gave away the sack record that rightfully belonged to Mark Gastineau), For JASON TAYLOR. For pissing away draft picks.  For ludicrous contracts.  And above all, for being a snake oil salesman slimeball.  If I tend to blame him for than he's responsible...I reserve the right to be unreasonable.  I've disliked him from the start.  He merely purchased mercenary talent found by other, more competent GM's.  And set this club back a decade.

4 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

What you fail to understand is that Tannenbaum is the embodiment of all that is wrong in humanity.  There should be a Batman villain based on him.  In truth, I blame no one for the Gholston pick.  He was picked right where everyone thought he should be.  Tannenbaum was responsible for Tebow.  For Favre (who gave away the sack record that rightfully belonged to Mark Gastineau), For JASON TAYLOR. For pissing away draft picks.  For ludicrous contracts.  And above all, for being a snake oil salesman slimeball.  If I tend to blame him for than he's responsible...I reserve the right to be unreasonable.  I've disliked him from the start.  He merely purchased mercenary talent found by other, more competent GM's.  And set this club back a decade.

and he put the rosters together that got us 2 cracks at the SB.

Just now, sirlancemehlot said:

My personal ickiest moment with him was reneging the the 2nd round tag he placed upon Clemens, on camera, giving him 10 seconds to respond to no guarantee and go pick up and move your family right as school is starting for his kids. It was a real sleazeball moment. Yes it's in the CBA that teams can do this locking in a free agent wth a contract that isn't a contract, and yes Clemens sucked, but what a douche.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My personal ickiest moment with him was reneging the the 2nd round tag he placed upon Clemens, on camera, giving him 10 seconds to respond to no guarantee and go pick up and move your family right as school is starting for his kids. It was a real sleazeball moment. Yes it's in the CBA that teams can do this locking in a free agent wth a contract that isn't a contract, and yes Clemens sucked, but what a douche.

that's the NFL.  

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

that's the NFL.  

It's also a rarity. Teams don't typicallly tag a player way above his value, so he can't shop himself around (no one was going to give up a 2nd rounder for the privilege of offering Clemens a contract, so he had a choice of signing the Jets tender or sitting out the year), then tell him on final cut day to take a nearly 50% pay cut or start looking for a job in the remaining hours teams have to submit their final rosters, when he wouldn't even have time to schedule workouts.

It's not just like the usual "hey it happens on every team every year" final roster cuts. This one was dirty and shameful. Particularly when considering it was on camera on HBO for his whole family and all his friends to see him have to bend over for Tannenbaum, and further considering the amount of the pay cut (less than $500K that meant little to the team but much to the player).  

On September 27, 2016 at 7:57 PM, SAR I said:

Not sure what to say other than if Favre stayed healthy we would have won the division and might have gone all the way, and without Favre, well, Eric Mangini was awful.

So his grudge about being double-crossed on Favre seems inappropriate.  The only QB he was successful with shouldn't be used as the reason for his failure.

SAR I

It truly is amazing that when we've had a good, playoff caliber QB he seems to have gotten hurt at the wrong time.  Pennington with two shoulder injuries, the Favre injury in the middle of a playoff run, Vinny T going down with an Achilles when the Jets were loaded for a Super Bowl chase.  And yet guys like Geno Smith walk around completely healthy can can't do squat for us!

On 9/27/2016 at 11:05 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Excellent article and shows we had an immature dumb owner.

He didn't know what he was doing and was smitten with the idea of the back page.  Woody also showed that he was manipulated by Tannenbaum and the Favre situation.

No, I don't think Mangini was a great HC but I said then that they should NOT have fired after the Farve year. I was smitten with Rex and forgot my principle.  But Mangini shouldn't have been fired when he was.

And if Woody went back on his word it is a disgrace IMO....

He didn't want Farve but named his son after him?? Some short memories here..

In talking to Brett when we were first recruiting him, I explained that history," Mangini said, "and I explained that we were pregnant with our third child, and I really believed that he'd be an instrumental part of another good year and another important part of my football life and that I would commit to 'Zack Brett Mangini' at that point. That was part of our terms and we stuck with it."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2008/10/781172/1#.V-5WKPkrJD8

9 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He didn't want Farve but named his son after him?? Some short memories here..

In talking to Brett when we were first recruiting him, I explained that history," Mangini said, "and I explained that we were pregnant with our third child, and I really believed that he'd be an instrumental part of another good year and another important part of my football life and that I would commit to 'Zack Brett Mangini' at that point. That was part of our terms and we stuck with it."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2008/10/781172/1#.V-5WKPkrJD8

See how those evil reporters can twist your words!!!! :) 

Hmmm that was always an odd one to me as well. 

Could it be he was against the move then was anamored with it after Farve got here?

Even so it makes him look hypocritical for not mentioning that key point either way. 

Nice reminder!!! Thanks. 

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It truly is amazing that when we've had a good, playoff caliber QB he seems to have gotten hurt at the wrong time.  Pennington with two shoulder injuries, the Favre injury in the middle of a playoff run, Vinny T going down with an Achilles when the Jets were loaded for a Super Bowl chase.  And yet guys like Geno Smith walk around completely healthy can can't do squat for us!

That is all.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's also a rarity. Teams don't typicallly tag a player way above his value, so he can't shop himself around (no one was going to give up a 2nd rounder for the privilege of offering Clemens a contract, so he had a choice of signing the Jets tender or sitting out the year), then tell him on final cut day to take a nearly 50% pay cut or start looking for a job in the remaining hours teams have to submit their final rosters, when he wouldn't even have time to schedule workouts.

It's not just like the usual "hey it happens on every team every year" final roster cuts. This one was dirty and shameful. Particularly when considering it was on camera on HBO for his whole family and all his friends to see him have to bend over for Tannenbaum, and further considering the amount of the pay cut (less than $500K that meant little to the team but much to the player).  

when did we tag Kellen Clemens?

So true, and don't forget Namath on your 'bad luck with injuries' list, we could have won a few more Super Bowls if he didn't have knee surgery after making a tackle in a preseason game and then follow up that recovery by water skiing.  Can't make this stuff up.  If the internet were around in 1970 we'd be killing Namath for his decision making.  Season ending preseason tackle?  Water skiing on those repaired knees?

And then of course is the phenomenon of bringing in supposedly great QB's to watch them turn to suck here.  Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Brett Favre, even Frank Reich all had regular season and postseason success, all come here with strong expectations, all fall apart.

And then, of course, we finally find a franchise quarterback in the first round of the NFL draft and we have the wrong GM and the wrong HC who ruin him.  Only the Jets.

SAR I

the favre injury does not belong w/ the othes.  he was not good most of that season and was holding us back.  that injury is an excuse, Vinny couldn't play, Chad played w/ a torn rotator cuff and we were a missed kick from the title game.  Favre, the "iron man", couldn't even help us win a weak division w/ no Brady and a weak sched.  we didn't blow it b/.c of an injury, we blew it b/c favre never wanted to be here and when the weather got cold he tanked it.

The injury to Favre never came out until later, maybe after the season when he disclosed it. So that excuse for his fall after a good start never really resonated with me. It might have been the reason he didn't play well or maybe not. But Favre used the team because GB would not trade him to a team in their division. They blocked it. After 2008 he retired and then unretired and it looked like it was planned the entire time by him so he could go to Minnesota. I think he has subsequently stated at times that he wanted to go there for what looked like the obvious reason: to get back at the Packers for getting rid of him. I also got the feeling that staying one year and then getting an out was maybe an agreement he had with Tannenbaum. And that the Jets wanted him so badly they were willing to release him after that one season so he could go to Minny. btw he had one of his best seasons ever that first year in Minny. And I'm not sure this one was on Woody. I felt the entire time it was a Tannenbaum creation.

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The injury to Favre never came out until later, maybe after the season when he disclosed it. So that excuse for his fall after a good start never really resonated with me. It might have been the reason he didn't play well or maybe not. But Favre used the team because GB would not trade him to a team in their division. They blocked it. After 2008 he retired and then unretired and it looked like it was planned the entire time by him so he could go to Minnesota. I think he has subsequently stated at times that he wanted to go there for what looked like the obvious reason: to get back at the Packers for getting rid of him. I also got the feeling that staying one year and then getting an out was maybe an agreement he had with Tannenbaum. And that the Jets wanted him so badly they were willing to release him after that one season so he could go to Minny. btw he had one of his best seasons ever that first year in Minny. And I'm not sure this one was on Woody. I felt the entire time it was a Tannenbaum creation.

he didn't have a good start, he had one great agame against AZ then a couple of good games in November before he tanked it.

he never wanted to be here, he led us to a loss in matt Casell's first start since HS.  that same week it was revealed instead of learning his new playbook he was on the phone w/ some Lions giving them tip on how to beat GB.  he was forced to play for us, he wanted Minny to stick it to GB and once the weather turned he tanked it.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he didn't have a good start, he had one great agame against AZ then a couple of good games in November before he tanked it.

he never wanted to be here, he led us to a loss in matt Casell's first start since HS.  that same week it was revealed instead of learning his new playbook he was on the phone w/ some Lions giving them tip on how to beat GB.  he was forced to play for us, he wanted Minny to stick it to GB and once the weather turned he tanked it.

Look, you're making a lot of assumptions as usual. I don't think he tanked it. He was too strong of a competitor to tank games. It was to his legacy to have a great year and probably he wanted to help the Jets out, too. For one season. We don't know all of the facts and I don't know if I believe Mangini. I was for it even though I liked Chad and I like most Jets fans went crazy having Favre on our team. Off the field the guy was an embarrassment with the sexting of the woman. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, you're making a lot of assumptions as usual. I don't think he tanked it. He was too strong of a competitor to tank games. It was to his legacy to have a great year and probably he wanted to help the Jets out, too. For one season. We don't know all of the facts and I don't know if I believe Mangini. I was for it even though I liked Chad and I like most Jets fans went crazy having Favre on our team. Off the field the guy was an embarrassment with the sexting of the woman. 

he was busy helping the Lions try to beat the packers instead of preparing for our biggest rival then he stunk the place out in that pats game.  he never wanted to be here, it showed on the field in 80% of his games.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived