Todd Bowles: "No question" Fitz is the starter

j4jets

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one is benching their starting QB in week 4 off of a bad game, even if it was historically bad.  Who is playing? Petty?  

And what's he supposed to do sound wishy washy about him holding the position?  Give him a half hearted line of support?  Let the team known they're not 100% sure that he can handle it?  

Mehta: So is Fitz still your starting QB?

Bowles: For now, yes. We are going to go back and evaluate tape and see where the issue lies and how it can be fixed.

Mehta: Do you still trust Fitz to lead this team?

Bowles: He had a bad game. We'll see how he comes back from it, but for now, Fitz is the starter. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Yes, lets bench the guy who is terribly inconsistent to the guy that's as dumb as a rock and is consistent. As in consistently bad. I'm not in favor of throwing away the season and throwing Petty to the wolves, not yet anyway.

At least we now know you didn't watch the Jets in December 2014....or January 2016....or last week. Did you know Geno won 8 games as a rookie while Fitz never won more than 6 until his 11th year in the league?

What else do you propose?? Start Geno? Pleaseeeeee, and stop with the Petty talk, he is not ready and hurt.

As I stated when we resigned Fitz with the schedule we are playing, after week 5 Geno may not look as bad as many people first thought.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

"There's 'no question' that's the route we're going to take."

Captain John Smith, RMS Titanic

Is there any right way to handle this though? If he puts in Geno it's even or worse. Petty or Hack and it's worse. And in all 3 of those scenarios you're asking this fanbase to be reasonable as they just let themselves be bad and evaluate who they can cut for 2017. The other option is to keep playing Fitz in which case we're probably 7-9. 

This is what happens when you don't let yourself be bad. 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is there any right way to handle this though? If he puts in Geno it's even or worse. Petty or Hack and it's worse. And in all 3 of those scenarios you're asking this fanbase to be reasonable as they just let themselves be bad and evaluate who they can cut for 2017. The other option is to keep playing Fitz in which case we're probably 7-9. 

This is what happens when you don't let yourself be bad. 

True, Bowles had to answer the way he did, but mostly because he guaranteed Fitzpatrick the starting job back in January. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

True, Bowles had to answer the way he did, but mostly because he guaranteed Fitzpatrick the starting job back in January. 

If he waivers on the answer, there's a controversy and he's indecisive. If he says Fitz he's an idiot. And if he slathers peanut butter on his balls while yelling at Mehta that $12 million was a steal because he's worth 24, then he's Rex. 

meh..  I don't take his statement at face value.

Every HC has to exhibit confidence in their starter especially with these vultures in the NY media praying for a juicy story to write.

You think he wants to open up the possibility of every player being asked the QB question every day?

I'm hoping he's simply saying what he has to but behind the scenes is as disgusted by what he saw as the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not stubbornness.

He simply isn't going to play Geno.  Feel free to speculate as to why.

And Petty isn't healthy.

Hence, "No question".

why did cro start when he was easily the worst CB in the NFL last year?  why doesn't he double team stars ?

no need to speculate actually

Just now, JiF said:

This is Fitzpatrick's team.  Nobody else playing QB.  Ride or die to week 17 every single snap.  No question about it.

He just had a bad day at the office.  No biggie.  Move on and have a better day at the office next time.  

That's life, man. 

Is this sarcasm?  He's had a bad career at the office.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Every HC has to exhibit confidence in their starter especially with these vultures in the NY media praying for a juicy story to write.

You think he wants to open up the possibility of every player being asked the QB question every day?

I'm hoping he's simply saying what he has to but behind the scenes is as disgusted by what he saw as the rest of us.

I think his laissez-faire attitude toward it is annoying but you're probably right.  

Part of me actually thinks this is his way of giving Fitz a vote of confidence since they dont speak throughout the week. 

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If he waivers on the answer, there's a controversy and he's indecisive. If he says Fitz he's an idiot. And if he slathers peanut butter on his balls while yelling at Mehta that $12 million was a steal because he's worth 24, then he's Rex. 

Yeah, agreed. My cutting snark was more aimed at the inevitability of this moment, and how self-inflicted it was.

Just now, JiF said:

I think his laissez-faire attitude toward it is annoying but you're probably right.  

Part of me actually thinks this is his way of giving Fitz a vote of confidence since they dont speak throughout the week. 

haha..  that's right - I forgot about that.

Yeah he's saying what he has to say and trying to keep up the confidence of his obviously flawed QB.  Can you imagine a Fitzy under center who's worried about keeping his job??  My god he might set unbreakable records for QB ineptitude in a single game.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Yeah he's saying what he has to say and trying to keep up the confidence of his obviously flawed QB.  Can you imagine a Fitzy under center who's worried about keeping his job??  My god he might set unbreakable records for QB ineptitude in a single game.

Well, the last QB to throw 6 INT's without a TD to accompany such feat was Tom Tupa.  Not sure that's a record but it's something. 

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

This post has amplified my confidence level in a Fitz rebound ten-fold.

the correct answer, fwiw, is "for now"

it creates urgency for fitz and wakes up geno

if bowles goes 6-10 and then goes into next year with petty and hack at QB, its 50/50 gets fired after his 3rd year for a QB coach type of guy to develop the pups

he has to squeeze 8-8 out of this tough schedule to survive petty's first 16 starts

if he can't figure that out, see ya

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, the last QB to throw 6 INT's without a TD to accompany such feat was Tom Tupa.  Not sure that's a record but it's something. 

At least the interceptions saved Tupa from having to punt the ball away.  He was just preserving his leg.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Barnwell can be a goofball, and the history doesn't favor Idzik at all, but I agree that Idzik had the right idea, but was done in by not considering whether the guys he was drafting actually liked football 

Pretty much. He entrusted a draft-heavy rebuild to Terry Bradway and Jeff Bauer and got exactly the results one would expect.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I agree...

Stevie Wonder would be appalled by a 6 pick game!!!

If in truth Bowles is not concerned about those Fitz picks behind closed doors than he should be fired today..............

Why?

Because no team can win on a regular with their QB being responsible for SIX TURNOVERS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I'm probably the least confident person on the planet in Fitz, and even I understand that Bowles will and should support his starter unequivocally up until the point he pulls him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support and accountability are two separate issue.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nothing surprising from Bowles statement everyone knew he was say that.

Oh as the for the generic we can't throw deep with Fitz at QB.

The Jets were 2nd in the league in passing attempts longer then 15 yards last year

Fitzpatrick had more completions of 15 yards or more than:

Wilson, Dalton, Newton, Brady, Rivers, Bradford, Ryan, Rogers, Manning, Flacco, Stafford

He also screwed up more and a far worse comp % but it's a fallacy that the Jets don't go deep or try to go deep even with a noodle arm.  We won;t be passing deep anymore than we are now with Geno or Petty.

yeah, I'm incredulous at this stat. But I've heard it more than once.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

You don't bench a QB after one bad game. Until you bench him, you support him. That's coaching 101

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, except it was just a bad game. Plus I'm not asking Fitz be benched. He should've been benched in the game after all those picks. For now, I want the coach to put him on notice. Blind faith and not even considering an in-game benching is troublesome. 

48 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You don't hold individual players accountable in the media. That's not how you run a team. You don't bash Revis after a bad game and you don't bash Fitz after a bad game.  

Let's not use Revis and Fitz in the same sentence. 

Archived