QB pressures

AFJF

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a vicious cycle. The secondary isn't very good so they have to drop linebackers in coverage. The defensive line can't generate a rush on it's own, so they want to blitz but they can't because the secondary sucks. It also doesn't help that Mauldin is not making the most of his snaps and Catapano wasn't even active last weekend. 

This is stupid on a few levels... First off the jets have 9 hurries not 22, which is near the bottom of the league but you also fail to mention the jets are 31st in the league in defensive snaps this season.  Not to mention they have 9 sacks as well so this "analysis" is useless without using proper context... if you're desperate to deflect attention from the fact that the conquering hero is dead last in QB rating so far this season :lol:

24 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

No worries guys! We will have a nice high pick next May so we can draft that pass rushing DE we have been in search of forever :wub:

Wouldn't that be us drafting a defensive player in the 1st round for like the 8 year in a row or something? How many defensive linemen have we drafted during that time? 

The last thing this team needs is it's 4th 1st round defense lineman. 

Yeah, I think the problem is that as long as we can't defense the WR screen, there's no opportunity to get to the QB. It's like a 3-step drop, which doesn't allow for ANY defensive player to get home. It has nothing to do with not having an edge rusher, which Mauldin is.

I do think that Richardson sucks up all the air on the DL. But I really have no concrete evidence. Maybe it's a coincidence...

10 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thats what happens when you have 3 top tier interior defensive lineman but no pass rusher. 

Stout vs the run - 3rd in rushing yards per game and in average yards per carry.

Poor vs the pass - 21st in passing yards per game, and 32nd :ph34r: in yards per pass and completion % allowed.

Can't pin it all on the D line, with a Swiss cheese secondary, but overall it's not where you want to be

46 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Stout vs the run - 3rd in rushing yards per game and in average yards per carry.

Poor vs the pass - 21st in passing yards per game, and 32nd :ph34r: in yards per pass and completion % allowed.

Can't pin it all on the D line, with a Swiss cheese secondary, but overall it's not where you want to be

You have a point here. It could be looked at like the age-old question of what came first, the chicken or the egg. Does the Dline get a pass because the secondary is Swiss cheese, or does the secondary get a pass because the qb has all day to sit in the pocket?

We need a pass rusher....badly. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You have a point here. It could be looked at like the age-old question of what came first, the chicken or the egg. Does the Dline get a pass because the secondary is Swiss cheese, or does the secondary get a pass because the qb has all day to sit in the pocket?

We need a pass rusher....badly. 

In terms of the big picture, I think they get a pass because the secondary has been playing a lot of soft coverage, allowing for quick completions underneath.

That being said, expected to see at least a couple of "nothing he could do to avoid it" sacks of Smith this week with 2nd and 3rd string O-linemen starting for KC.

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

In terms of the big picture, I think they get a pass because the secondary has been playing a lot of soft coverage, allowing for quick completions underneath.

That being said, expected to see at least a couple of "nothing he could do to avoid it" sacks of Smith this week with 2nd and 3rd string O-linemen starting for KC.

This is true. Alot of it has to do with scheme. We've been so concerned about Revis that people have even questioned his future hall of fame status. Revis isn't playing press coverage, which is what made Revis great. Calvin Prior is playing one-one -one against Travis Kelcie while Antonio Allen is on the bench...why? There's enough problems with our secondary where I can point directly to the coaching staff and say that they are not putting players in position to succeed. That's basically not understanding your personnel

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

After strong opener, Jets tied for 27th in the NFL with just 22 QB pressures despite D-line loaded with first rounders.

They get held a ton, but I also think there is something schematically wrong. Look how the Minny defense can take over s game. I want that.

We have no outside pass rush at all, haven't had nay for years now.  Now with Richardson back in we seem to be playing more 4 man fronts, this leaves a guy like Mauldin who is best as a 3-4 olb playing a lesser roll.    This defense right now looks exactly like the rex defense of the last couple of years here.

Huzzah! we are so great in run defense!  In a league that is more and more a passing league.

Jets defense = huge underachievers

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have no outside pass rush at all, haven't had nay for years now.  Now with Richardson back in we seem to be playing more 4 man fronts, this leaves a guy like Mauldin who is best as a 3-4 olb playing a lesser roll.    This defense right now looks exactly like the rex defense of the last couple of years here.

Huzzah! we are so great in run defense!  In a league that is more and more a passing league.

That was the case in the first game as well. They've been almost strictly 4 man fronts (rotating players) with 2 LBs (Harris and Lee/Henderson) and 5 DBs.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My concern from before the season, with the potential for a 4 man front was that we don't have the LBers for it. It would either put Harris - who it seems never leaves the field for any reason ever - in a position where he has to cover a lot of ground or rob a safety to have him play or lean closer into LB territory. Then we hear lines like "Revis was expecting safety help" when he's beaten.

13 hours ago, cant wait said:

This is stupid on a few levels... First off the jets have 9 hurries not 22, which is near the bottom of the league but you also fail to mention the jets are 31st in the league in defensive snaps this season.  Not to mention they have 9 sacks as well so this "analysis" is useless without using proper context... if you're desperate to deflect attention from the fact that the conquering hero is dead last in QB rating so far this season :lol:

Why turn every thread into discussion of a single topic?

...And yes the DLine after a fast start has been less than dominant in the last two games.  

They had seven sacks in the game they played a "pocket QB" and just two when they played against more "running QB"  Its design to not have pass rushers go up the A gaps and push the Running QBs out of the pocket where they can hurt us.  Lack of out side pass rusher hurts in these games.

When playing the Pocket QB they sent Blitzer's and stunts up the A gap and had a lot of success.  I wonder what they doe Sun with a running but hurt QB.  

30 minutes ago, EM31 said:

...And yes the DLine after a fast start has been less than dominant in the last two games.  

I honestly think it has to do with moblie QBs who gameplan with quick passes. I think getting a sack is harder than ever because offenses are going to these quick passes to counteract that rush.

Amazing that the Patriots didnt do that when they played the Giants twice.

I think the Jets have 9 sacks through 3 games.

34 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Then why not use the correct stats if you're trying to make a case that jets defense has been the problem with the team. The jets have had 94 pass plays on defense and 9 sacks, that ratio is good for 6th in the league. Unless your intention is to shift blame around, then making the false claim that the jets are 27th in the league in pressures serves no purpose 

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

After strong opener, Jets tied for 27th in the NFL with just 22 QB pressures despite D-line loaded with first rounders.

They went from a statute in Dalton to 2 pretty mobile QB's.  I think that's been some of it.  That and teams know what they're facing when they face the Jets.  Alex Smith was getting the ball out in a hurry

Also and I'd love to see the tape on this but they were running a lot of stunts vs. the Bengals and the 2 last games have lacked any ingenuity.  It looks like they've been lining up with no scheme, just beat your man. 

14 hours ago, cant wait said:

Forum:  Lets talk about the Defense.

Can't Wait:  FIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTPAAAATRRIIIIIICKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Fitz is playing very poorly, lets agree.

Can we actually talk about the Defense now, or no?

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Forum:  Lets talk about the Defense.

Can't Wait:  FIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTPAAAATRRIIIIIICKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Fitz is playing very poorly, lets agree.

Can we actually talk about the Defense now, or no?

Are you going to use actual stats or these made up ones? Either way if you think the defense is the problem and not the #32 ranked QB then you're either delusional or desperate to make excuses for your sweet precious fitzyboy. Knowing you that comes as no surprise though :lol:

The problem is that the QBs we are playing are going to their 1st look & they are WIDE OPEN! Go back & look at those short crossing routes Smith was throwing to Kelce. It was like 2 seconds & bam the ball was out & Kelce is rumbling down the field.

Our secondary & LBs aren't jumping these short routes so the QB doesn't have to pump or bring the ball down and reload. Personally I think our play in the secondary and the scheme we're running sucks & that this is 100% on our defensive coaching staff! When you have 3 1st round picks on your Dline & spent 130 million on your secondary & your ranked in the bottom of the league. I keep telling you guys that Kacey Rogers is a bum. Guy has zero credentials. Give this same defense to a guy like Jim Schwartz & lets see what happens! Matt Patricia the DC for the Patriots is a freaking genius, the guy went to Rensselaer & has an aeronautical degree I believe. Putting together a defensive game plan is probably pretty easy for him.

Belichick surrounds himself we very smart people. The Pats defense is balling, even after trading Chandler Jones & losing Ninkovic. The Jets lose someone & everything falls apart. 

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

Then why not use the correct stats if you're trying to make a case that jets defense has been the problem with the team. The jets have had 94 pass plays on defense and 9 sacks, that ratio is good for 6th in the league. Unless your intention is to shift blame around, then making the false claim that the jets are 27th in the league in pressures serves no purpose 

Congratulations. How hard was that?  You actually managed to complete one whole post without prattling on about the other topic.  I am proud of you.

55 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Are you going to use actual stats or these made up ones?

What made up ones, I didn't post any stats.  :rolleyes:

Either way if you think the defense is the problem and not the #32 ranked QB then...

I think both are problems thus far, but specifically the Jets Pass D on the Defensive side.

For example, the Jets are 5th worst in the NFL in Yards-Allowed-Per Play (at 6.4 YAP) and 2nd worst in the NFL in Net Yards Per Pass Play (8.3, only Oakland is worse)

We are ranked 26th in takeaways (with only 3) and below average in INT's (at a mere 2).

We are ranked 2nd to last in QB Rate against us (110.7, only the Lions are worse).

We are worst in the NFL in Comp. % against us (at an insane 71.3%)

Despite facing the 2nd fewest snaps on Defense (168), we've allowed the 12th most yards passing (852).

We are rather clearly decent enough in the front 4, and against the run (ranked 3rd best in Yards Allowed).

Against the pass, we are one of the worse Defenses in the NFL.  So teams don't have to run, they can pass all over us with ease.

All stats courtesy of Pro Football Reference.

15 hours ago, cant wait said:

The conquering hero was AFC Offensive player of the week last week. Sure he was awful against the Chiefs, but he has a chance to redeem himself against the Seahawks. I don't think Fitz is the answer at QB, but he is our only viable option since Petty is hurt. Geno is a trainwreck waiting to happen. 

Archived