QB pressures

AFJF

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets D as disappointing as any unit this year nbs.

They're supposed to be "historic good".  So we've been told.

Not sure who was telling you that, I hope they didn't sell you any investments. :-)

I thought the defense would be very good, and the offense would be good (aka average).  So far, I'd say the defense has been good (aka average), and the offense has been meh.  Which adds up to 1-2.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Not sure who was telling you that, I hope they didn't sell you any investments. :-)

I thought the defense would be very good, and the offense would be good (aka average).  So far, I'd say the defense has been good (aka average), and the offense has been meh.  Which adds up to 1-2.

I think the DBs and LBs have underperformed. I think that relying on the talent on the DL to compensate is not going to work either. But I have hopes. The LBs are young and the DBs are more talented than they've shown.

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Dolphins defense is a hot mess so....

True, but my main concern is the Jets D-line up to this point.  

A lot of what's being said makes sense (mobile QBs/scheme) but I'd still expect a unit that's viewed as "top 3" to find a way to do more than they have up to this point.

Top 20, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What made up ones, I didn't post any stats.  :rolleyes:

I think both are problems thus far, but specifically the Jets Pass D on the Defensive side.

For example, the Jets are 5th worst in the NFL in Yards-Allowed-Per Play (at 6.4 YAP) and 2nd worst in the NFL in Net Yards Per Pass Play (8.3, only Oakland is worse)

We are ranked 26th in takeaways (with only 3) and below average in INT's (at a mere 2).

We are ranked 2nd to last in QB Rate against us (110.7, only the Lions are worse).

We are worst in the NFL in Comp. % against us (at an insane 71.3%)

Despite facing the 2nd fewest snaps on Defense (168), we've allowed the 12th most yards passing (852).

We are rather clearly decent enough in the front 4, and against the run (ranked 3rd best in Yards Allowed).

Against the pass, we are one of the worse Defenses in the NFL.  So teams don't have to run, they can pass all over us with ease.

All stats courtesy of Pro Football Reference.

I'm talking about the topic of this thread, the claim that the jets are 27th in the league in pressures. The total pressures statistic is a combination of sacks/QB hits/pressures(QB hurries) and is misleading ibecause the jets have played the 31st fewest snaps on defense of any team in the NFL. The DL has been doing its job, the defense has gotten burned with the big play and some of that has been fluky stuff IMO. But the real killer is the jets turnover differential this season, -2.3 dead last in the NFL. That's giving away games, and when the team is coughing up the ball it's going to negatively skew all defensive metrics

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I'm talking about the topic of this thread, the claim that the jets are 27th in the league in pressures.

lol, Topic is Jets Defense

Demands stats.  

Gets clear-cut stats showing our D as a whole is not good thus far.

Suddenly limits topics just to "pressures".

Then changes topic back to Fitz via his turnovers.

Typical.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

lol, Topic is Jets Defense

Demands stats.  

Gets clear-cut stats showing our D as a whole is not good thus far.

Suddenly limits topics just to "pressures".

Then changes topic back to Fitz via his turnovers.

Typical.

What actually happened: topic of DL pressure is created on inaccurate stats. Poster corrects them, mocks pathetic QB lovers for desperate attempt to deflect blame for disappointing start to season. Big mouth fitzfetishist butts in, proceeds to make further excuses for 32nd ranked QB, blames defense for poor metrics, willfully ignores his precious lover's turnovers as factor (as usual)

Whats typical is your pathetic "it's someone else's fault" routine. Who's fault is it going to be after this Sunday? The DL or the fans again? :lol:

True, but my main concern is the Jets D-line up to this point.  
A lot of what's being said makes sense (mobile QBs/scheme) but I'd still expect a unit that's viewed as "top 3" to find a way to do more than they have up to this point.
Top 20, perhaps?

Top 20? Are you serious?

Did you read Fish's post above?

Jets defense is currently bottom 3 in the NFL.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

How much pressure can one get on a WR screen?

Better tell Todd that since all teams are afraid of our pressure we might want to cover that.  This is why our D is underachieving.  Force the other team to not run, check, force the other team to no take deep drops or long times in the pocket, therefore it should be profit!

Our defense does't win games or come up big when it counts.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

What about a stat like, pressure per pass attempt, or something like that?

Jets are 6th in sack per passing play, with 9/94. If you added hurries to that its 18/94. The average hurries per team is 15/ sacks 6.4... Say for arguments sake you weighted them the same, over an average number of pass attempts against at 109 would give you a 19.2% ratio... The jets 18/94 would be 19.15% so about league average if you score a sack and hurry as equal which nobody would obviously do, but I digress...

21 hours ago, cant wait said:

This is stupid on a few levels... First off the jets have 9 hurries not 22, which is near the bottom of the league but you also fail to mention the jets are 31st in the league in defensive snaps this season.  Not to mention they have 9 sacks as well

Between this and the talent, I'm not even going to pretend to worry about this defense until midseason.

So, the Pats are the only team in the league that cheats?

Really, this is for the whinny, 20-something Jets fan that don't get it.

Because the Pats "cheated" they have won 14 out of the last 15 AFCE titles, won 8 AFCCG's, and 4 Super Bowl titles in the last 15 years?

Gotta give you credit 28, you f*ck with me better than any poster on the board.

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

Jets are 6th in sack per passing play, with 9/94. If you added hurries to that its 18/94. The average hurries per team is 15/ sacks 6.4... Say for arguments sake you weighted them the same, over an average number of pass attempts against at 109 would give you a 19.2% ratio... The jets 18/94 would be 19.15% so about league average if you score a sack and hurry as equal which nobody would obviously do, but I digress...

Thanks

48 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Because the Pats "cheated" they have won 14 out of the last 15 AFCE titles, won 8 AFCCG's, and 4 Super Bowl titles in the last 15 years?

Isn't whinny what a horse does?

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Tips cap.

• 2 months later...

Really hoped this would improve over the course of the season...we know it hasn't.  Here's the number Cimini threw out there.

The Jets' pressure rate -- the percentage of times the quarterback is sacked, hit or under duress -- is only 22.6 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information. By the way, that's 27th in the league.

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really hoped this would improve over the course of the season...we know it hasn't.  Here's the number Cimini threw out there.

The Jets' pressure rate -- the percentage of times the quarterback is sacked, hit or under duress -- is only 22.6 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information. By the way, that's 27th in the league.

Hopefully we can draft more Defensive Tackles this year to fix that problem

Archived