This Wentz stuff is insane

AFJF

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Ryan - Missed out on because we had to beat KC because moral victories.

Wentz - Missed out on because we weren't willing to pay to trade up.

Garoppolo - Passed on for Jace Amaro and another year of Geno.

Rivers - Literally the only one of this 5 we have no connection to.

Flacco - Passed on for Vernon Gholston.

Still wish they hadn't passed on Lynch/Dak/Cook

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Still wish they hadn't passed on Lynch/Dak/Cook

Passed on Lynch and Dak this year. Passed on Siemien the year before, after blowing our chance to get Mariota. Passed on Carr and Bridgewater the year before that. Passed on Wilson in 2012. The quarterbacks have been there, and teams have been finding them, but 4 front offices in a row have blown it for the Jets every which way possible.

The crazy part is the Jets have taken more shots than anyone at this the past decade or so.

I think the key is that the offense that Wentz ran in college was somewhat pro like.  He is also smart and a good athlete.  He was particularly smart going to the school he did and not a Football Power that needs to fill seats.

But athletes like Petty who likely were far higher ranked like Wentz coming out of HS ended up at big football schools that were not necessarily developing them to play pro football.  It could take some time before he is ready for that.

Just now, phill1c said:

Hmm, I really don't get too hyped up about QBs having a few good starts. It's having a few good YEARS. Many QBs do well until defenses get film on them.

Fair point...but we're talking about a guy who played at North Dakota State, fractured a rib in pre-season so threw only 11 PS passes IIRC, and looks this good, this early.  

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Passed on Lynch and Dak this year. Passed on Siemien the year before, after blowing our chance to get Mariota. Passed on Carr and Bridgewater the year before that. Passed on Wilson in 2012. The quarterbacks have been there, and teams have been finding them, but 4 front offices in a row have blown it for the Jets every which way possible.

The crazy part is the Jets have taken more shots than anyone at this the past decade or so.

And the guy they roll the dice on, Hack, has a nice PS debut, then completes 41% of his passes from that point on.  Not the most encouraging sign.

Just now, Fibonacci said:

This thread makes me miserable. Read, cry, drink, cry again. 

I said on JN radio last night that it was one of the worst parts of watching the Jets in a sports bar.  Had Wentz on the TV next to the Jets game, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks on the TV to my right, and that was after sitting through Mariota vs. Carr.  

Saw that Dak was the late game and couldn't even bother to turn it on when I got home.

3 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Shhhh! You'll upset the crybabies here. 

My opinion: QBs are mostly a product of the offense surrounding them. a VERY SELECT few are better, but, then again, most of the Elite QBs play in the same system for years. It's the continuity that is a very big factor in their success.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I said on JN radio last night that it was one of the worst parts of watching the Jets in a sports bar.  Had Wentz on the TV next to the Jets game, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks on the TV to my right, and that was after sitting through Mariota vs. Carr.  

Saw that Dak was the late game and couldn't even bother to turn it on when I got home.

It is hard to develop young QBs when they keep signing stop-gap veterans to 5 figure deals. :)

Just now, Maxman said:

It is hard to develop young QBs when they keep signing stop-gap veterans to 5 figure deals. :)

Or drafting young ones that aren't good enough to be out stop-gap veterans for years at a time.  It's the worst.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Or drafting young ones that aren't good enough to be out stop-gap veterans for years at a time.  It's the worst.

Geno would have beaten Fitz, just never really had a chance. Broken jaw last year, the Jets win 12 games if Geno was starting all year. They couldn't have a competition this year because they panicked and gave Fitz a big contract.

But Geno will step in and lead the team to the playoffs. Assuming Bowles gives Fitz the hook before it is too late.

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ryan - Missed out on because we had to beat KC because moral victories.

Wentz - Missed out on because we weren't willing to pay to trade up.

Garoppolo - Passed on for Jace Amaro and another year of Geno.

Rivers - Literally the only one of this 5 we have no connection to.

Flacco - Passed on for Vernon Gholston.

These comparisons are useless.  There is NO way anyone saw what Wentz is doing.  It is easy to say now we should have taken him, but he was classified as a project.  Garoppolo, same thing.  He has been able to sit behind a sure fire hall of famer.  You don't think he looks this good because of that?  He would have been no better than Geno was because he would have been thrown to the wolves and played with Kerley, Nelson, and Gates.

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The Wentz situation is honestly why I have faith in Gailey's ability to get Petty ready to go if Fitz fails.

No SB with Geno or Petty, but at least Petty's signed beyond this season.

Good god Petty will not be ready for 2 months if at all this season.  Can we stop pretending that Geno doesn't exist because you hate him.

Petty lost the competition for #2 as evidenced by him playing the very game he got hurt in.

I mean think for a second.  You all keep harping for a guy to play that was close to getting cut and hasn't thrown a pass in a month.  He's not going to be the one to replace Fitz if he gets benched in the next 4 games.  Why is this not obvious to everyone??

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

These comparisons are useless.  There is NO way anyone saw what Wentz is doing.  It is easy to say now we should have taken him, but he was classified as a project.  Garoppolo, same thing.  He has been able to sit behind a sure fire hall of famer.  You don't think he looks this good because of that?  He would have been no better than Geno was because he would have been thrown to the wolves and played with Kerley, Nelson, and Gates.

Does that mean the rep wasn't sincere?

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Good god Petty will not be ready for 2 months if at all this season.  Can we stop pretending that Geno doesn't exist because you hate him.

Petty lost the competition for #2 as evidenced by him playing the very game he got hurt in.

I mean think for a second.  You all keep harping for a guy to play that was close to getting cut and hasn't thrown a pass in a month.  He's not going to be the one to replace Fitz if he gets benched in the next 4 games.  Why is this not obvious to everyone??

Link?

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Geno would have beaten Fitz, just never really had a chance. Broken jaw last year, the Jets win 12 games if Geno was starting all year. They couldn't have a competition this year because they panicked and gave Fitz a big contract.

But Geno will step in and lead the team to the playoffs. Assuming Bowles gives Fitz the hook before it is too late.

LOL

Just now, AFJF said:

First tell me which one has the quote from Mac saying Petty is about to get cut.  This way I can avoid reading a bunch of speculative, click bait BS.

As soon as you find me one that has a quote from Mac saying he's going to cut Amaro or Milliner.

Archived