Jeremy Ross signing with the Jets, source confirms ~ ~ ~

CrazyCarl40

The Jets are bringing back Jeremy Ross. 

With Eric Decker and Jalin Marshall ailing, the team plans to re-sign the versatile receiver and returner, a source close to the situation confirmed to NJ Advance Media. Ross spent organized team activities, minicamp and training camp with the Jets.The team cut him during the 53-man cutdown. The Jets haven't announced a corresponding move. CBS was the first to report the signing. 

Ross, 28, has bounced around the NFL quite a bit since signing with the Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 2011. The Jets are the seventh team he has been a part of since entering the league. Ross is most well known for his stint with the Green Bay Packers (2012-2013) and Detroit Lions (2013-2014). Those seasons, he established himself as one of the league's better returners. 

In 2012, Ross averaged 28.7 yards per kick return (three attempts) and 25.8 per punt (four attempts). With the Lions in 2013, he averaged 29.3 yards per kick return, including a touchdown of 98 yards. He averaged 16.2 yards per punt return, including a 58-yard touchdown.And that's all good. The bad? While Ross was deadly with the ball in his hands, there was no guarantee the ball would stay there. He has fumbled 10 times in 45 career games. 

"When you're young, and you have success, you can tend not to hold on to your technique," Ross said earlier this summer. "As a young guy, I'm like, 'I'm having a lot of success, when people see me get the ball, they expect big things.'

"I really let the environment get to me. I just kept thinking I had to do something great."Ross spent a portion of the 2015 season with the Ravens (five games) and Raiders (six games).In the preseason with the Jets, Ross caught six passes for 89 yards. He averaged 12 yards per punt return (two attempts), and 33 yards per kick (two attempts).

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jeremy_ross_signing_with_the_jets_source_confirms.html#incart_river_index

Good move.  After seeing Marshall cough the ball up multiple times in preseason, I was hoping he would land on the practice squad and not the active roster.  He has potential, but he scares me every time i see him back there.  Good to see Ross coming back, had a solid preseason.

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

So long Braeden Bowman, we hardly knew ya

Nope.

43 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

My guess for a corresponding move would be to IR/Waive Lawrence Thomas, but who knows. Not many of the roster moves make sense to me lately.

Yup.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Re-Sign-WRKR-Jeremy-Ross/f6d1a567-17d1-45dc-82c2-f1f44a2c2c37

The Jets have made four transactions today, signing WR/KR Jeremy Ross, placing DL Lawrence Thomasicon-article-link.gif on injured reserve, signing WR Myles White to the practice squad, and terminating the practice squad contract of S .

Ross (6'0", 215), in the wake of rookie 's shoulder injury, returns to the active roster after being released on the Jets' final cutdown Sept. 3. This preseason he had six receptions for 89 yards (14.8 yards/catch), four punt returns for 48 yards (12.0 yards/return) and two kickoff returns for 66 yards, including a 51-yarder.

The Jets are Ross' seventh NFL team since he broke in with the Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He's played in 45 games (15 starts) with four of those teams with 39 receptions for 469 yards (12.0) and two touchdowns, 77 punt returns for an 11.2 average with one TD, and 66 kickoff returns for a 25.1 average and a TD.

Ross' highlight video game came as a Lion at Philadelphia in Week 14 of the 2013 season, when he took a punt return 58 yards and a kickoff return 98 yards, both for scores. He's the most recent NFL returner to take a punt and a kickoff to the house in the same game, joining a list that in the past 10 seasons includes Trindon Holliday, Ted Ginn, Eddie Royal, Devin Hester and Darren Sproles.

Thomas, the undrafted D-lineman from Michigan State, goes on IR with a shoulder injury. He made his pro debut as a starter in the opener against Cincinnati and was in all three games for the Jets. He had five tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss on his 35 defense plays and added 26 snaps on special teams.

White (6'0", 182), who signed as an undrafted free agent with Green Bay in 2013 and also spent time with the Giants last year and this year, was signed to the Jets practice squad on Sept. 4 and released Sept. 12. He has played in 19 games in the NFL with 16 receptions for 154 yards (9.6) and a touchdown with the Giants late last season.

Martin began as an undrafted free agent with Seattle in 2015 and the Jets acquired him off waivers from the Seahawks. He played in eight games with the Green & White last season, exclusively on special teams. This season he played in the last three preseason games, was waived Sept.  4, then was signed to the practice squad two days later. Ronald Martinicon-article-link.gif Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Marshall got injured.  You have to wonder if he didnt, if Bowles would trot him back out there to hand another TD to the competition.

Yes let's obviously go with the man is stupid routine. 

I was seriously considering picking the Jets, but they're banged up so I'm not sure now. 

Seahawks are a 2.5 point road favorite.

47 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Anderson will get his run if Decker is out. I almost expect Ross to step right in on KR and PR, plus the slot in 3 wide formations.

I hear you. Why not give Peake some action? He also looked good in Preseason...I personally don't think Marshall is 100% either.  I understand that Ross is a veteran and Bowles loves his Veterans as does most coaches.  

I have no idea how we're going to score more than 13 points vs Seattle. Everything is looking bad for the Jets because everything you believe has to be turned 360 degrees when it comes to the Jets.

Seattle playing at 10:00AM, Seattle traveling cross country, Wilson hurting & maybe the backup playing, Hawks Oline is horrible, Hawks down to 1 decent RB, Baldwin has been playing hurt. 

You add all of that up & in the twisted twilight zone world of the NY Jets, it adds up to a 24-9 loss at home, lol.

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

Its a shame about Martin.  The Jets need to be developing safeties.  They can often be found in FAs.  

The oldest safety on the roster is 28. They still have Middelton on the PS. I'm not sure why safety needs to be developed?

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I hear you. Why not give Peake some action? He also looked good in Preseason...I personally don't think Marshall is 100% either.  I understand that Ross is a veteran and Bowles loves his Veterans as does most coaches.  

It's more of a positional issue than a talent or ability issue. Peake and Anderson are WRs that play on the outside, like Brandon and Decker. Jalin was playing the slot role. Ross can play that role in the offense without having to miss a beat.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I have no idea how we're going to score more than 13 points vs Seattle. Everything is looking bad for the Jets because everything you believe has to be turned 360 degrees when it comes to the Jets.

Seattle playing at 10:00AM, Seattle traveling cross country, Wilson hurting & maybe the backup playing, Hawks Oline is horrible, Hawks down to 1 decent RB, Baldwin has been playing hurt. 

You add all of that up & in the twisted twilight zone world of the NY Jets, it adds up to a 24-9 loss at home, lol.

Yup!   

Archived