Rookie Report through 3 weeks

UnitedWhofans

Since this season is going to be more about developing the younger players than making the playoffs (especially with injuries), at least in my book, let's take a look at the rookies.

1. Darron Lee: 17 tackles, .5 sacks, 3 stuffs. 3rd amongst rookies in tackles. Has shown speed in tackling receivers out of the backfields, which has been a main concern with the Jets for a couple of years. Having a very nice rookie season and justifying his selection

2. Jalin Marshall. 2nd amongst NFL rookies in kick return yards and 10th in receptions. Fumbles too much, but that can be fixed (Tiki Barber). Has a torn labrum so we won't see him for a few weeks.

3. Lachlan Edwards: Averaging 46 yards a punt (Quigley averaged 43 last year). No one has complained about the punter so far so that means great things.

4. Jordan Jenkins and Robby Anderson: Both saw game action against KC and looked ok. Both will see more action this week due to injuries.

5. Juston Burris: A guy who I would like to see more action as the weeks go on, and I think he will if the secondary continues to struggle

All in all a nice start for the Jets rookies.

Lee looks like a nice little player.  Not necessarily doing anything to help where the Jets have been weak but playing fine just the same.  I wouldnt go as far as saying he justified his draft selection.  The contention from many of us was that his skill set can be found is virtually every single round.  For example the rookies that are in pace with him and play the same positoin

Deion Jones - Falcons - 2nd round pick

Blake Martinez - Packers - 1 tackle less than Lee - 4th round pick

That said, none of them have that sweet half a sack the tiny linebacker has.  Even though Jones has a pick six. 

Cravens has a pick too...but not as many tackles.

Either way, he's had a nice start and it looks like he belongs.  Not sure why the coaching chooses not to use him coverage rather than Harris but I cant put my fingers on a lot of things they do.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Lee looks like a nice little player.  Not necessarily doing anything to help where the Jets have been weak but playing fine just the same.  I wouldnt go as far as saying he justified his draft selection.  The contention from many of us was that his skill set can be found is virtually every single round.  For example the rookies that are in pace with him and play the same positoin

Deion Jones - Falcons - 2nd round pick

Blake Martinez - Packers - 1 tackle less than Lee - 4th round pick

That said, none of them have that sweet half a sack the tiny linebacker has.  Even though Jones has a pick six. 

Cravens has a pick too...but not as many tackles.

Either way, he's had a nice start and it looks like he belongs.  Not sure why the coaching chooses not to use him coverage rather than Harris but I cant put my fingers on a lot of things they do.

Valid points. I think the Jets are at a point where they just need production from their 1st and 2nd round picks that are not defensive linemen. If they can get that then its a step forward. 

This draft class so far is showing to have been flooded with talent. Damn shame we took a QB in the 2nd round who couldnt even play until the 3rd preseason game and cant suit up while the Cowboys got their future QB in the 4th round winning games for them right now. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Valid points. I think the Jets are at a point where they just need production from their 1st and 2nd round picks that are not defensive linemen. If they can get that then its a step forward. 

This draft class so far is showing to have been flooded with talent. Damn shame we took a QB in the 2nd round who couldnt even play until the 3rd preseason game and cant suit up while the Cowboys got their future QB in the 4th round winning games for them right now. 

The Jets havent seen production out of the 2nd round since David Harris.  Right now, we're getting nothing out of the 2nd round, literally nothing since the Jets took David Harris back in 2007.

And while that stings, it also stings that the Jets cant get lucky to save their lives in the later rounds.  We do o.k. in the 3rd.  Serviceable players at least, which should be expected but outside of Q, the Jets dont have one late round pick contributing a damn thing.  Although I think Deion Simon got a snap or 2 last game and Burris made a nice play.  So who knows, maybe something finally gives. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets havent seen production out of the 2nd round since David Harris.  Right now, we're getting nothing out of the 2nd round, literally nothing since the Jets took David Harris back in 2007.

And while that stings, it also stings that the Jets cant get lucky to save their lives in the later rounds.  We do o.k. in the 3rd.  Serviceable players at least, which should be expected but outside of Q, the Jets dont have one late round pick contributing a damn thing.  Although I think Deion Simon got a snap or 2 last game and Burris made a nice play.  So who knows, maybe something finally gives. 

Lachlan Edwards-7th round pick

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wanted Phillip Gaines a few years back when we took McDougal. Gaines and that Chiefs D killed us last weekend

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Since this season is going to be more about developing the younger players than making the playoffs (especially with injuries), at least in my book, let's take a look at the rookies.

Next season, the Jets are hoping that with continued development and a new rookie class that they can earn a participation trophy for giving it their all in the AFC East

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I wanted Phillip Gaines a few years back when we took McDougal. Gaines and that Chiefs D killed us last weekend

A few of us were on the Gaines train.  But my Crushlove wanted him some Dex. :)

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which puts the Broncos into a bit of a dilemma. Do they trade one of them?

How amazing would it be to have that dilemma?

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which puts the Broncos into a bit of a dilemma. Do they trade one of them?

What the Irish call Happy Troubles, as in troubles you are happy to have.

If I'm Elway I would wait until he sees what opposing DC's do with Simean before concluding he's a quality NFL starting Qb.  If he holds up for the rest of the season, yeah, then it's happy troubles for Denver, as if they need the luck.

But that's the point about both Lynch and Simean, isn't it?  It's not really luck if Lynch turns out to be a pick the Jets should have made.  It's that the Broncos are a better run organization.

4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

How good the Lee pick will end up looking will depend, imo, in large part on whether Lynch develops into a good Qb.

I disagree. Let's say both end up as Pro Bowlers, doesn't make Lee a bad pick. And even if Lynch turns out to be a top 5 QB for Denver, doesn't mean he'd have done so for us.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Enunwa in the 6th was a really nice pick -- might qualify as one of those lucky later round picks. A couple of this season's UDFAs could be real players down the road:  Lawrence Thomas who just went on IR and the two receivers have all been regular part of the rotation, even though I don't want to see J Marshall back out there until he solves his fumbling issues, if he can.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Hack will only just be getting on the field in 3 years time. ;-) 

the next GM and HC will purge him

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I may be biased as a UGA guy, but I think Jordan Jenkins will have a role, and maybe Juston Burris.

they could be back ups

11 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Hack is doing just as good right now as Geoff and lynch both of whom were drafted before him. Kid is a rookie project Mac has been pretty good at bringing talent to the team why don't we give the kid a chance.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The simple answer is some Jet fans want instant gratification from the players that are drafted or the player is a bust .  They are people here hating on Geno Smith for what he has done as an NFL player, even thou the kid should never have been a starter his 1st yr. These same people are hating on Hackenberg because he's where he is at present .

15 hours ago, Larz said:

the next GM and HC will purge him

they could be back ups

2 yrs into a program coming off a winning season that wasn't expected and we're already looking forward to the next GM and HC . You people don't deserve a championship, you're too happy being miserable .

Archived