Josh Gordon to Be Released by Browns

SR24

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

All this complaining about "wasting" a roster spot on a 4th QB, but people are going to want to tie up at least 2 roster spots with ASJ and Gordon.

Our fans.

Both are low risk high reward additions. Gordon Marshall Decker and ASJ a TE who can block,run and catch. who wouldn't want that?

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Both are low risk high reward additions. Gordon Marshall Decker and ASJ a TE who can block,run and catch. who wouldn't want that?

Gordon isn't low-risk at all. WTF are you talking about?

The guy is suspended constantly. He's literally the most high-risk player in all of football, as it pertains to getting suspended again.

ASJ is a never-was. Sure, when you have nothing else at TE, you can justify adding him as low-risk. However, how is having him on the roster, knowing he can't contribute right now any different than having Hack on the roster... which seems to be the complaint du jour??

It's not.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

The guy is suspended constantly. He's literally the most high-risk player in all of football, as it pertains to getting suspended again.

ASJ is a never-was. Sure, when you have nothing else at TE, you can justify adding him as low-risk. However, how is having him on the roster, knowing he can't contribute right now any different than having Hack on the roster... which seems to be the complaint du jour??

It's not.

I think we mean ri$$$k... not risk of him never playing.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

It's not.

I was meaning financial risk. He could be had at half his value due to his past

2 minutes ago, Burnt Clutch said:

Plaxico got us 8 TDs after he shot himself... can't get much lower risk/higher reward than that.  

Financial risk is the stupidest context of risk for fans to worry about. It's not our money. In the history of the sport, how many teams really ruin their season by adding an extra rookie contract... the risk ASJ represents is taking a roster spot away from someone more immediately deserving. The risk Gordon represents is spending assets (trading picks) for a player who never plays a game for us.

If people are complaining about using a roster spot on the rookie QB we drafted in round 2, but advocating dedicating assets and further roster spots to sh*theads who can't play right now... it is contradictory logic.

Typical of our fans. 

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

There's something going on with the Gordon story, it doesn't add up. Maybe rehab is to avoid a dirty test result? There's been a rumor that he was popped at the Cleveland airport trying to smuggle a pound of weed on a flight but I'm not sure how credible the source is

Cleveland Browns will ‘move on’ from Josh Gordon after he admits himself into rehab 

Browns coach Hue Jackson said Friday will be the last time he discusses Josh Gordon because the team will be "moving forward."

Browns coach Hue Jackson said Friday will be the last time he discusses Josh Gordon because the team will be "moving forward."

(DAVID RICHARD/AP/RON SCHWANE/AP)

Josh Gordon has run out of chances in Cleveland

ESPN reports the Browns are ready to “move on” from the star receiver after he announced he was checking into an in-patient rehab a week before he was set to return to the team.

“Today is really the last JG comment I want to make about that,” head coach Hue Jackson said on Friday. “I think what's best for our football team is we move forward and we move on. He's not going to be with us and we wish him well, but we'll move forward. We'll move on.”

A SEPT. 1, 2016 FILE PHOTO

Josh Gordon will miss more time after checking himself into an in-patient rehab for treatment.

(DAVID RICHARD/AP)

Thursday night Gordon released a statement about his choice get his life straightened out before going back on the football field.

“After careful thought and deep consideration I’ve decided that I need to step away from pursuing my return to the Browns and my football career to enter an in-patient rehabilitation facility,” Gordon said in the statement. “This is the right decision for me and one that I hope will enable me to gain full control of my life and continue on a path to reach my full potential as a person. I appreciate the support of the NFL, NFLPA, the Browns, my teammates, my agent and the community through this extremely challenging process.”

Some thought there was more to the Gordon story Thursday night when rumors circulated that Gordon was arrested for attempting to bring a pound of weed onto a flight from Cleveland to Los Angeles. The Cleveland Police Department quickly shot down these rumblings and wished Gordon luck in his recovery.

When he’s on the field, Gordon is arguably one of the top wide receivers in the NFL. The problem is actually getting him on the field.

In his first season in the league in 2012, Gordon appeared in 13 games where he caught 50 passes for 805 yards and five touchdowns. He would erupt during the 2013 campaign for the Browns when he had 87 receptions and led the league in receiving yards with 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns. He did this despite missing the first two games of the season after violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Suspensions started to become the story of his career in 2014 after he was forced to miss time after being arrested for driving while impaired in North Carolina. He played in just five games in 2014, with 24 catches for 303 yards.

Gordon would be forced to miss all of the 2015 season after violating the substance abuse policy yet again. When he went to apply for reinstatement earlier this year, he was denied based on reports of another failed drug test.

The NFL approved his reinstatement in July, but he was forced to miss the first four games of the 2016 season. He was eligible to return in Week 5 before announcing he had checked himself into rehab.

Send a Letter to the Editor