Todd Bowles Presser

Maxman

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 9.30

On injuries…

(Eric) Decker, Jalin Marshall and (Bryce) Petty did not practice. Ryan Clady was limited with a shoulder. Bruce Carter was limited with an ankle and (James) Carpenter was excused for personal reasons.

On Decker’s status for Sunday…

He will be out. He has a partial tear in his rotator cuff. He will be week-to-week, but he will not play this Sunday.

On if Decker’s injury could be season ending…

I’m not sure. They’ll have to monitor it. They said some people play with it. Over the course of time, we’ll see how it goes but he’s not playing this week. They just told me it was week-to-week.

On accounting for Decker’s absence…

Injuries happen. We have other guys on this team for a reason. We have a lot of young guys that have to step up and play and make plays.

On if Jeremy Ross can contribute on both special teams and offense…

Yes. That was part of the reason why we brought him back.

On if Decker’s injury could require surgery…

It’s too early to tell from what I’m told and it’s just week-to-week right now. If it gets to that point later on, we’ll make that decision.

On if there is a timetable to determine whether he’ll need surgery…

It all depends on how he’s healing. Right now, we don’t know.

On if Clady is questionable…

He’s questionable, but he’ll play.

On Jalin Marshall’s shoulder injury…

He has a labrum injury. He’s about a week or two or three away depending on how he heals.

On if Marshall’s shoulder injury is not as severe as the injury suffered by Lawrence Thomas…

Too early to tell right now. From what I’m hearing it wasn’t, but we’ll see.

On if he knows when Decker sustained the injury…

I do not.

On if Decker participated in team activities on Monday…

No, he did not. All we had was film Monday.

On Brandon Marshall’s knee…

He looks a lot better than he did last week. He was full practice all week so he’s fine.

On the level of confidence in WR Robby Anderson…

Injuries happen. Robby made the team for a reason because he made plays, so we’re confident playing him.

On his assessment of Austin Seferian-Jenkins’ ability to pick up an offense…

Well, we know he can play. You can look at him (on the field) and know he can play. Obviously, he’s only practiced with us two days now so that remains to be seen, but he’s been fine right now. Our due diligence tells us he can pick it up and learn and we’ll go from there.

On Quincy Enunwa’s role in Decker’s absence…

No, he’ll do a little more. We still have a bunch of guys working in there. Robby will work in, (Charone) Peake will work in and we got (Jeremy) Ross back. We have guys working in depending on the packages.

On if he knew Decker was out when the team claimed Seferian-Jenkins…

No, I did not.

On whether Decker had the MRI…

They don’t tell me when he as it or when he doesn’t. They just told me he was hurt and he was getting treatment on his shoulder. And when they revealed the MRI, they told me it showed the partial tear, yes.

On defending Russell Wilson…

If he plays, we’re sure he’s going to be 100 percent. We don’t treat it any other way. We just have to make sure we try to play our game and keep him in the pocket and contest some throws.

On if anything this week has led him to believe Ryan Fitzpatrick will rebound…

Yes. You can’t play any worse. We can’t coach it any worse. There is no way to go but up. I’m sure he’ll tell you the same thing. We have all the confidence in the world in Ryan.

On what Fitzpatrick can do to prevent passes defensed against Seattle…

We’re going to take care of the football. We don’t really worry about who we’re going against on Sunday. We’re going to take better care of the football. He understands that and we understand that as a team. Going forward, we’re going to make sure that doesn’t happen.

On if Fitzpatrick took too many chances against Kansas City and whether taking care of the football means taking fewer chances…

That’s not the situation at all. When you’re down, you’re throwing the ball more. You have to take chances to try to win, but we just have to be smarter about it.

On the game designations for the injured players…

Petty is out, Jalin Marshall is out, Decker is out, Clady is questionable and Bruce Carter is questionable.

On whether he is concerned about the production from the tight end position…

Well, we need a third or fourth receiver to step up, and Quincy stepped up as a third receiver. Not having a catch from the tight end is sometimes by design and sometimes we try to get him the ball and it doesn’t work out that way. We’ll keep working at it and it doesn’t concern me.

On if TE Brandon Bostick can be a factor in the passing game…

He could be.

On Bostick’s ability…

He’s a good tight end. He has OK hands, but he as a little lateral movement and stiffness that he needs to work on, but he’s capable of catching the ball.

On Seattle’s defense…

Fast, tough, aggressive. They know each other very well. They play together very well.

On if there is concern about the health and depth at wide receiver…

Not at this time, no. Injuries are going to happen. You go with them. Everybody has injuries. You deal with them. You plug in guys and put them on the team for a reason. They have to play.

On whether Ross or Seferian-Jenkins will be active on Sunday…

We’ll make that decision this weekend. 

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

NFL now will wait till Jenkins court case is resolved which hasn't occurred yet. He won't be suspended till after that and the way lawyers are they can possibly push his court case till after the season if they want to.

Thanks.  Suppose I should've known that.  NFL is confusing as sh!t with how they handle things though.

43 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Bowles is definitely in over his head, 

"What happens if you have to make in game adjustments? "I don't know how to make adjustments so we will be steadfast in what we believe"

"What happens if there are 55 seconds left in the first half and Seattle has 3rd and 15"? "We don't want to risk scoring a TD on ST's so we will as we always do, let the clock expire"

"The football team tried hard. I take full responsibility, so the buck stops here with me"

Sound  familiar guys?

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

"What happens if you have to make in game adjustments? "I don't know how to make adjustments so we will be steadfast in what we believe"

"What happens if there are 55 seconds left in the first half and Seattle has 3rd and 15"? "We don't want to risk scoring a TD on ST's so we will as we always do, let the clock expire"

"The football team tried hard. I take full responsibility, so the buck stops here with me"

Sound  familiar guys?

only if he actually said this

4 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Since Jenkins just got a DUI, shouldn't he be suspended for a while?

they were supposed to make it tougher, I can't find where it was approved by the NFLPA tho

right now suspension is for 2nd DUI

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 9.30

On if anything this week has led him to believe Ryan Fitzpatrick will rebound…

Yes. You can’t play any worse. We can’t coach it any worse. There is no way to go but up. I’m sure he’ll tell you the same thing. We have all the confidence in the world in Ryan.

Tough question. Obviously you don't want to go all Rex on the Media and suck the guy off. At the same time it isn't a confidence builder either. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Every Jets coach's tombstone should read, "HERE LIES X: He had all the faith in the world in a quarterback with a career sub-80 QB rating."

If the Jets can keep the game close I think he can rebound. He seems to play the worst when he's under pressure to score a lot of points or when he's asked to lead a game winning drive with two minutes left. That's when he starts throwing desperate passes. His pics started after Jalin Marshall stupidly fumbled the ball on a KO return for a TD the other way and the Jets were suddenly down 17-3. Manage the game, move the chains. That's where he's best

Sadly, by the look of things, B.Marshall and E.Decker look likely be both done for the year by mid-season.  Forte, if we keep using him almost exclsuively, might be right behind them.

Too much abuse.  Too much over-use for older guys.

I could see a mid-season, should we continue to play poorly, with Petty throwing to J.Marshall, Ross and some other kids in a preview of 2017.

Would suck, would prefer to see us in it this year and competative.  But if we're not, maybe we can at least start working for the future (which isn't Marshall, Decker, Fitz, Forte or Geno).

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sadly, by the look of things, B.Marshall and E.Decker look likely be both done for the year by mid-season.  Forte, if we keep using him almost exclsuively, might be right behind them.

I could see a mid-season, should we continue to play poorly, with Petty throwing to J.Marshall, Ross and some other kids in a preview of 2017.

Would suck, would prefer to see us in it this year and competative.  But if we're not, maybe we can at least start working for the future (which isn't Marshall, Decker, Fitz, Forte or Geno).

An uncertain future no stability or proven veterans only unproven players the future is so bright here I cant wait................

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If things fall apart, getting Petty some reps with a (hopefully) healthy Devin Smith, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Seferian Jenkins, etc... wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If things fall apart, getting Petty some reps with a (hopefully) healthy Devin Smith, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Seferian Jenkins, etc... wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Should be their focus, IMO.

46 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

If the Jets can keep the game close I think he can rebound. He seems to play the worst when he's under pressure to score a lot of points or when he's asked to lead a game winning drive with two minutes left. That's when he starts throwing desperate passes. His pics started after Jalin Marshall stupidly fumbled the ball on a KO return for a TD the other way and the Jets were suddenly down 17-3. Manage the game, move the chains. That's where he's best

Agree, but even in defending him it's pointing out how ****ed the team is with him. It's a rough life trying to play every game 21-20.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Might ultimately be a blessing in disguise.  I think we would all rather be competitive this year - but I really don't think we were going anywhere anyway  -  so why not get the youth movement going sooner.

18 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Sound  familiar guys?

What the hell are you talking about?

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agree, but even in defending him it's pointing out how ****ed the team is with him. It's a rough life trying to play every game 21-20.

I totally agree, he isn't Tom Brady (as much as I hate him) but for better or worse, he's our starter for now

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

I look for the Jets to do about 60-40 run on Sunday

Bowles is an idiot, and he will do just this, leading to a lot of 3rd and longs which Fitz will dump off each time, generating decent looking stats but a completely ineffective offense. Fitz of course despite leading us to 9 points or so will be hailed for a "bounce back" game. 

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

marshall is tough so i don't see it being likely that he will be done. decker is hurt every year it seems and forte is going to die if he keeps getting the ball so much

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

marshall is tough so i don't see it being likely that he will be done. decker is hurt every year it seems and forte is going to die if he keeps getting the ball so much

Forte has that Curtis Martin quality of never taking big hits. He's got 2 productive years left.

Archived