4th Q observation yesterday

section314

With about 10 mins left in the game, I put the binoculars on the Jets sideline. Walking around behind the guys standing near the sidelines was Geno, wearing a white towel over his head, no headphones on, basically wandering around by himself. Hackenberg , obviously not suited up, was standing next to one of the coaches, headset on and clipboard in hand. Could not find Petty. Was a strange thing to watch. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere else in the world but there. Literally looked like he is not part of this team. Have never seen the backup QB not right near the coach unless he is warming up. Even for the Jets, that was weird.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, section314 said:

With about 10 mins left in the game, I put the binoculars on the Jets sideline. Walking around behind the guys standing near the sidelines was Geno, wearing a white towel over his head, no headphones on, basically wandering around by himself. Hackenberg , obviously not suited up, was standing next to one of the coaches, headset on and clipboard in hand. Could not find Petty. Was a strange thing to watch. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere else in the world but there. Literally looked like he is not part of this team. Have never seen the backup QB not right near the coach unless he is warming up. Even for the Jets, that was weird.

Do you blame him?  Macc and Bowles have alienated him from the day Fitzpatrick re-signed. 

Interesting observation.  Thanks for posting.  Sitting across from the Jets bench at home games, I often pull out the binocs to see what the demaenor is on the sidelines.  COlor me not impressed with the level of enthusiasm by some players on this team. There are some whose heads are in the game... every second of it.. and there more than a few who look like they couldn't care less.  While not quite as bad as the horrendous laissez faire culture of the Rex Ryan sidelines (where only Rex himself showed any heart or enthusiasm while the majority of his players did not), it's not great.  

Needless to say, I am having severe second thoughts on Bowles with respect to game planning, adjustments, time management, game day personnel decisions (not benching fitztragic when needed) and also team attitude and culture..

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree with you, but if they can't stand him and basically don't trust him, why is he here? Are they waiting for Petty? It's a joke. 

Yes it really is a joke Macc and Bowles are way in over their heads this is going to get uglier next week, 

Early on in that game Geno was sitting next to the QBs coach with Fitzpatrick on the other side of the coach >  . Are we truly going to critique every move this kid makes  ?   He's the backup QB until the coaches say he's not . He's on the roster until he's not  . The Jets will never be whole until everything comes together, Owner, Team and Fans . 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Yes.  I can blame him.  He does not appear to be a good teammate.  He does appear to be a prima donna.

What has he done that is bad?  He worked his ass off in the off season he kept his composure and interviewed about the IK incident not blaming anyone or pointing fingers. The coaching staff was held hostage by Fitzpatrick while Geno practiced and trained only to be pushed aside for a journeyman gypsy bum. Is he causing any problems on the team has been outspoken in the media about his role?  

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

I sat in the coaches club yesterday and I watched Geno a lot. Was really disappointed in him.

Walking off the field with the towel on his head, just tuning out the world. I really wanted to see him mature this year and wait for his opportunity. Because based on Fitz's performance, that opportunity is coming. Let's just hope the opportunity gets handed to Petty because this season is quickly becoming more about next season and beyond.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I sat in the coaches club yesterday and I watched Geno a lot. Was really disappointed in him.

Walking off the field with the towel on his head, just tuning out the world. I really wanted to see him mature this year and wait for his opportunity. Because based on Fitz's performance, that opportunity is coming. Let's just hope the opportunity gets handed to Petty because this season is quickly becoming more about next season and beyond.

Max he's scorned and being treated badly here.  No one wishes that on anyone. If the Jets had no plans for him they should have released him. As they were held hostage by the Fitzpatrick holdout they are doing the same thing to Geno Smith. No one knows whats going through this kids head he was a good college QB with good statistics to prove it. 

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Early on in that game Geno was sitting next to the QBs coach with Fitzpatrick on the other side of the coach >  . Are we truly going to critique every move this kid makes  ?   He's the backup QB until the coaches say he's not . He's on the roster until he's not  . The Jets will never be whole until everything comes together, Owner, Team and Fans . 

Not being critical of Geno, actually feel bad for the guy. If he is that so far out on an island, the Team is doing him an injustice.Just don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I dont see the point of keeping him on the roster...

Just another made up reason to hate Geno, when you should be hating Fitzpatrick.

I mean, what are you doing watching Geno Smith anyway?!

Don't bother to answer, the reason is obvious: to find something else to attack him for after finding out the guy you said was sooo much better than he is obviously, and painfully, isn't.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Just another made up reason to hate Geno, when you should be hating Fitzpatrick.

Don't bother to answer, the reason is obvious: to find something else to attack him for.

I didnt sense any hate in the post it was an observation that as a fan not at the games appreciate it. 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

None of this has any point. Maccagnan's a complete boob and his handling of the QB situation has been malpractice.

I think the optics would be bad but if Petty is healthy just freakin release Geno...there has to be a CB out there that can fill a spot.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Don't bother to answer, the reason is obvious: to find something else to attack him for after finding out the guy you said was sooo much better than he is obviously, and painfully, isn't.

1)I was on record numerous times in the offseason as being totally against bringing Fitz back, and actually wanted Geno to get his shot. 2) Was looking at the sideline to see if Revis was still on bench and saw Geno wandering. 3) again, not attacking Geno as much as I am the team for letting this get to this point. 

Just now, section314 said:

1)I was on record numerous times in the offseason as being totally against bringing Fitz back, and actually wanted Geno to get his shot. 2) Was looking at the sideline to see if Revis was still on bench and saw Geno wandering. 3) again, not attacking Geno as much as I am the team for letting this get to this point. 

Ok. I understand. I'm sorry to have miscast your observation.

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Do you blame him?  Macc and Bowles have alienated him from the day Fitzpatrick re-signed. 

Yup, I blame him for his actions. Yeah, it's a ****ed situation, but he's at work. You put on your best fake smile, suck it up, and do what's right. If only for the fact that next year he'll be looking for work and no one wants a sulking bitch on the sideline when sh*t doesn't go his way. So yeah, **** Geno's pussy ego. The situation has been mishandled by all involved but that's no excuse.

10 minutes ago, phill1c said:

It's the stoooooopid headcoach that should have the towel over his head and face for not benching Fitzpatrick yesterday and last week.

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yup, I blame him for his actions. Yeah, it's a ****ed situation, but he's at work. You put on your best fake smile, suck it up, and do what's right. If only for the fact that next year he'll be looking for work and no one wants a sulking bitch on the sideline when sh*t doesn't go his way. So yeah, **** Geno's pussy ego. The situation has been mishandled by all involved but that's no excuse.

So a towel on his head walking up and down behind the bench = a bad player?  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes, apparently. Silly. It's not like there isn't plenty of actual stuff to use to show that geno sucks. I don't understand the point of putting energy in to make up absurd things about him.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

No, but not being involved due to personal bs is. As was mentioned he should have been doing the stereotypical backup qb routine: headset, clipboard, head in the game. Too often Geno has been caught up in controversy due to perceived poor choices. Had Geno been a good soldier he probably would have gotten into games already, but it seems the team has given up on him.

I am SPECULATING that the relationship between the starter and the backup isn't all that great.

And I believe that it must be really difficult to endure the level of personal attacks Smith has had to endure, with NO SHOT at actually playing. I mean, I KNOW I'M SPECULATING, but imagine what he has to hear at the game, you know, when fans are liquored up their PC filter (barely existent) is diminished. It's probably very ugly.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

It's ridiculous how much this fan base hates this guy...It's entirely irrational.  This is a new one to me - calling Geno a bad guy because he's walking on the sideline.

Archived