Let's go Tribe

Blackout

Francesser was talking about how Terry Francona is an awesome playoff manager the other day and I have to agree. His use of Andrew Miller this postseason is just how it should be done nowadays - a "fireman" rather than a closer. Obviously Miller being as good as he is helps.

I'm a huge fan of this Kipnis/Lindor MIF, but who isn't?

Pulling for the Cle big time. We lived in Cleveland for about 5-6 years when I was growing up and have so many fond memories of going to Indians games. Was at the first game ever at Jacobs Field and the Series in '97 when Jose Mesa blew it. A ton of others too. 

Go Tribe. What a great year for Cleveland sports and for a city that's really needed a year like this. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Pulling for the Cle big time. We lived in Cleveland for about 5-6 years when I was growing up and have so many fond memories of going to Indians games. Was at the first game ever at Jacobs Field and the Series in '97 when Jose Mesa blew it. A ton of others too. 

Go Tribe. What a great year for Cleveland sports and for a city that's really needed a year like this. 

I was in Cleveland for the RNC for work. It was a nice city. I'm rooting for Tito big time. 

Beautiful. Go Tribe!!

Toronto is not a likable team and them advancing would have taken away from my interest in the WS.

Francona>Gibbons too

Damn MLB is so much better than the NFL....Not even close for me anymore. The Jets being atrocious doesn't help either

59 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Beautiful. Go Tribe!!

Toronto is not a likable team and them advancing would have taken away from my interest in the WS.

Francona>Gibbons too

Damn MLB is so much better than the NFL....Not even close for me anymore. The Jets being atrocious doesn't help either

Definitely agree that MLB > NFL. The gap is getting wider. 

On October 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Might have to dub this the "Misfit" World Series if the Cubbies get in

One was far and away the best team in baseball and the other was at least arguably the most complete team in the AL and a top 5 team in baseball. There's nothing misfit about either. Last year's WS with two reps on the lower end of top 10 teams in baseball probably fits better.

---

It sucks that Cleveland does not have Carrasco this postseason. That dude took a while to arrive after being touted since his early-mid teens, worked his ass off to put a career together despite injuries that ruin careers on the regular, and became one of the best in baseball. I like guys like Bauer and Clevinger moving forward, but going Kluber/Carrasco back to back would be extremely tough in a 7 game.

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

One was far and away the best team in baseball and the other was at least arguably the most complete team in the AL and a top 5 team in baseball. There's nothing misfit about either. Last year's WS with two reps on the lower end of top 10 teams in baseball probably fits better.

-

My dubbing of this was related to the histories of the franchises. Both are historically known as misfits and dregs. Nice to see a change, for once.

15 hours ago, deckerfan said:

!!!!!

WS ticket prices in KC last year were crazy too.

They were at least lower than Mets tickets. Day of Game 1 in KC you could find seats for $2-300, Mets tickets not so much. Worth noting that the resale prices drop less than 24 hours out, so media tends to hype up biased prices with this, but it's certainly worth noting when that's the starting bid for standing room.

It will be interesting to see if that's the case with Cubs tickets, I'm not so sure they will drop that much in price for a number of reasons. Northsiders are more affluent, particularly Gold Coast residents who are Cubs die hards, and the more wealthier suburbs tend to veer towards the Cubs (i.e. Naperville). Me thinks you'll have a lot of transplants flying in for the series as well. I am not so sure that with all that competition there will be a heavy fluctuation in ticket prices, and you better believe that if they have the opportunity to clinch at home those tickets will be starting closer to $1,500.

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

My dubbing of this was related to the histories of the franchises. Both are historically known as misfits and dregs. Nice to see a change, for once.

Maybe that's the rep among the casual crowd who get their baseball #hottakes from Gary Busey or Charlie Sheen movies, but especially the Indians have been fielding some very strong teams for some twenty+ years now with maybe a handful of down seasons in there. The Indians of the 90s were probably the premiere AL franchise outside of NY. Their rosters were absolutely loaded with ASs, future HOFs, and guys who probably fall just short of the HOF. Just in very recent history the Cubs had no serious competition for the best team in baseball, on paper were better than either WS rep last year, and have been above average overall since the mid-late 90s with some very strong teams in the 2000s.

Are they teams with long championship droughts? Sure, but half of last year's WS had had maybe two .500+ seasons since the 80's and the other was a NY sports franchise crying poor. I guess it depends on how you define mistfit and/or dregs? 

On 10/20/2016 at 6:45 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

SRO tix for game 1 are going for over 700. If the Cubs can pull this off have to figure Wrigley tix will start at a stack minimum.

Over $1,700 for SRO in Wrigley on Friday night.  Starting at about $2,500 if you want to put your butt in a seat.  I thought I was nuts for spending $1,000 to go to Citi Field last year, but these prices are insane.  A Cub fan is better off driving (or even flying) to Cleveland and paying less than half the Wrigely prices.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Over $1,700 for SRO in Wrigley on Friday night.  Starting at about $2,500 if you want to put your butt in a seat.  I thought I was nuts for spending $1,000 to go to Citi Field last year, but these prices are insane.  A Cub fan is better off driving (or even flying) to Cleveland and paying less than half the Wrigely prices.

Worst part is with those you have to get to the ballpark super early to even nab a halfway decent spot that you can watch the game from. Reality is that for most of those people you're paying to just be in the ballpark and watch on TVs at that point. You might as well just save a grand and spring for a rooftop, even though the sight lines at most of those have been completely ruined.

I personally think they have been overloading Wrigley the past few years with the SRO stuff, getting to a bathroom is a nightmare at a packed game and I don't even want to know the disaster that would ensure if there was a fire. It's not built to hold that amount of people.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Man, Kenny Lofton was such a cool player that I really look forward to him throwing out the first pitch tonight. Beyond him being a big part of why the '03 Cubs were so much fun and made their run, he was such a unique player for that era. 

He was. Really liked watching him play and glad to see him get the recognition

Archived