Let's go Tribe

Blackout

Big win for the Tribe, they needed game 1 with Kluber going, but I still like the position the Cubs are in.  Pitching matchups favor the Cubs in Games 2 & 3.  Arrieta v Bauer tonight and Hendricks v Tomlin in Game 3.  With the number of pitches Miller threw last night, not sure how effective he would be if they need him tonight.  If the Indians can pull this one out tonight, then the pressure will really be on the Cubs as they head back to Wrigley.  If the Cubs win, they go home in pretty good shape.

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

Big win for the Tribe, they needed game 1 with Kluber going, but I still like the position the Cubs are in.  Pitching matchups favor the Cubs in Games 2 & 3.  Arrieta v Bauer tonight and Hendricks v Tomlin in Game 3.  With the number of pitches Miller threw last night, not sure how effective he would be if they need him tonight.  If the Indians can pull this one out tonight, then the pressure will really be on the Cubs as they head back to Wrigley.  If the Cubs win, they go home in pretty good shape.

I would be very careful in predicting pitching matchups in the traditional sense when it comes to Francona. Who knows what that guy is gonna do. At this point he could open the first four innings with Shaw and Allen and I don't think anyone would be shocked. And don't forget that BP has five complete games under its belt the past two months, including a postseason game after that guy's hand exploded.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ah yes. Fantasy sports in the 90s. For those of us who had the joy of calculating fantasy scores by hand, and not being able to do so until the box scores were printed the next day.

Had to get the Sunday paper for the sports sections, and scour up and down the stats listings to calculate everyone's totals. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ah yes. Fantasy sports in the 90s. For those of us who had the joy of calculating fantasy scores by hand, and not being able to do so until the box scores were printed the next day.

Couldn't wait till Wed.   That's when the mail came telling me what place I was in.  Sometimes, it was Thursday, and that was tough.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I would be very careful in predicting pitching matchups in the traditional sense when it comes to Francona. Who knows what that guy is gonna do. At this point he could open the first four innings with Shaw and Allen and I don't think anyone would be shocked. And don't forget that BP has five complete games under its belt the past two months, including a postseason game after that guy's hand exploded.

There might come a point where Miller will be the starting LFer and is rotated in to pitch to get a key out then sent back out to left field.

It actually all worked out with home field advantage for the Cubs this series. They get Schwarber at DH for an extra game and tonight's game would have 100% been rained out/long delayed had it been in Chicago.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a rain-out for one at the Chicago home stand. Weather has been turning to something awful lately, and the wind has been picking up big time.

In other words: Winter is coming.

42 minutes ago, NJ said:

More importantly -  would it matter if that was all that did? He was still out.

If a piece of leather string actually touched Lindor than he was indeed out. I don't think that happened tho. But like Lindor I accept the outcome. Even if I disagree with the ump and think he missed that call.

Thankfully it did not affect the outcome against the Tribe and the point is, and was, moot. 

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a rain-out for one at the Chicago home stand. Weather has been turning to something awful lately, and the wind has been picking up big time.

Supposed to be 60s / 70s here in Chicago this weekend and dry.  Sunday night likely to be cold, but nothing like what it was at Citi Field in October last year.  Weather should not be much of a factor.

57 minutes ago, Lith said:

Supposed to be 60s / 70s here in Chicago this weekend and dry.  Sunday night likely to be cold, but nothing like what it was at Citi Field in October last year.  Weather should not be much of a factor.

If there's one thing that is predictable in the fall in this town, it's the weather.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

80 and sunny here in Jax for the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

I take it you dont make it down for those games?

6 hours ago, JiF said:

80 and sunny here in Jax for the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

I take it you dont make it down for those games?

No.  Made it down to one game when I was at Georgia.  You guys kicked our asses, but we had a great time.  Dawgs and Gators mixed a lot better than I expected.  It was a lot of fun in spite of the outcome.  But now, I do my travelling for the Jets (and the Mets) not the Dawgs.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:16 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

It actually all worked out with home field advantage for the Cubs this series. They get Schwarber at DH for an extra game and tonight's game would have 100% been rained out/long delayed had it been in Chicago.

In other words: Winter is coming.

Samsonite! I was way off!

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not surprised by anything that Francona does anymore. The man could have Dennis Martinez come back to pitch a game and I'd be like "CLASSIC Francona."

Some blogger said it best: the Indians had one and only one path to winning a title, and they executed it perfectly.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Some blogger said it best: the Indians had one and only one path to winning a title, and they executed it perfectly.

They've played the matchups perfectly. Santana over Napoli last night, pulling that guy early on Friday...etc. Bryant not showing up has been the biggest killer for the Cubs, IMO, even more than the oversized testicles of the Indians' pitchers. 

First, don't forget that Tribe lost 2 of their top 4 starters.  Francona has managed this pitching staff brilliantly.  He's a HOF manager, which is nuts because he was considered a dumbass before he went to Boston.  He's done a fantastic job.

Second, Cleveland hasn't won a title in any sport in 54 yrs and they're going to win 2 in a couple of months of each other.  Incredible

6 minutes ago, SMC said:

First, don't forget that Tribe lost 2 of their top 4 starters.  Francona has managed this pitching staff brilliantly.  He's a HOF manager, which is nuts because he was considered a dumbass before he went to Boston.  He's done a fantastic job.

Second, Cleveland hasn't won a title in any sport in 54 yrs and they're going to win 2 in a couple of months of each other.  Incredible

HoF manager is an understatement. Here are the coaches that have won titles with different clubs in the three major sports:

Phil Jackson

Tony LaRussa 

Sparky Anderson

Pat Riley

Alex Hannum

That's it. That's the list.

54 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They've played the matchups perfectly. Santana over Napoli last night, pulling that guy early on Friday...etc. Bryant not showing up has been the biggest killer for the Cubs, IMO, even more than the oversized testicles of the Indians' pitchers. 

Bryant has been brutal. Russell has been bad too, but he never really got going in the first place. I think they thought Contreeas would provide a spark, but he turned into a pumpkin this series.

The whole thing reminds me of the Series last year. With the way the playoffs are set up, a team with a bullpen that can shorten every game to 5 innings and great situational hitting is basically unbeatable.

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Bryant has been brutal. Russell has been bad too, but he never really got going in the first place. I think they thought Contreeas would provide a spark, but he turned into a pumpkin this series.

The whole thing reminds me of the Series last year. With the way the playoffs are set up, a team with a bullpen that can shorten every game to 5 innings and great situational hitting is basically unbeatable.

Yes on the bullpen strength being the key the way the playoffs are set up, but disagree on reminding about last Series.  At least the Mets lead in 4 of 5 games but couldn't close the deal.  The Cubs have gotten the sh*t beat out of them in 3 of 4 games this Series.  At east the Mets had been competitive.  Thus, far, the Cubs have not.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I completely agree on the bullpens. The game's headed that way as a whole too - I've noticed how more and more teams have "bullpen days" where there's only a nominal SP expected to go maybe 3-5 innings. Right now it's occaisonally the 5th starter spot, maybe the 4th, but for the Indians and Royals these past few playoffs it's been as high as the third SP spot and worked.

I've never seen Bryant play worse ball than this series. Those two errors last night were bruta...I feel the same way about Contreras. He completed the regular season and future lineup, but he's gone ghost this postseason outside of that one HR. Conditioning issues, maybe?

I'd at least like the Cubs to put up a fight here. Cleveland throwing everyone on short rest plus riding their bullpen like they have should create some kind of opening tonight. I'm a Bauer fan, but if the Cubs can't hit him on short rest after not doing anything against a clearly diminished Kluber then they deserve to lose this series 4-1.

Wouldn't it be crazy Cleveland Karma that in order to break the 52 yr title drought they had to over come a 3-1 series lead against the Warriors and now the Indians might give up a 3-1 series lead for the Cubs to break their 108 year drought.

48 minutes ago, SMC said:

Wouldn't it be crazy Cleveland Karma that in order to break the 52 yr title drought they had to over come a 3-1 series lead against the Warriors and now the Indians might give up a 3-1 series lead for the Cubs to break their 108 year drought.

It is not far fetched, and would be a very appropriate way for both teams in this.

Archived