..how 'bout Petty or Hackenberg ? ? ?

kelly

The starting quarterback of the New York Jets has nine interceptions in two games, and the fan base is riled up. Our question of the week :

At what point do the #Jets start looking at their young QBs and in what order?@RichCimini #jetsmail

@RichCimini : Our friend Mike in Bristol seems ready to bail on Ryan Fitzpatrick, but it doesn't sound like Todd Bowles is leaning that way. If he is, he's doing a great job of hiding it. On Friday, Bowles said backupGeno Smith didn't receive any extra practice reps this week. This doesn't preclude Bowles from going to the bullpen Sunday, but I don't see it happening unless the game is out of hand.There's some frustration in the organization because of the alarming number of turnovers, but I don't get the sense there's a great deal of confidence in Smith. He's viewed as a lame-duck backup. If they saw him as the answer, he'd be in there now. They wouldn't be paying Fitzpatrick $12 million if they thought they could win with Smith. That's why I believe Fitzpatrick will continue to get the benefit of the doubt.

You know how football coaches are, Mike. They don't play for the future until they're mathematically eliminated -- and that's if they have the security of knowing they won't get fired. Bowles isn't on the hot seat, so if the season gets away from them, I could see them turning to one of the young quarterbacks. Maybe Bryce Petty will be up to speed by then, but he's not close to being ready. He hasn't practiced in five weeks because of his bruised throwing shoulder, so he'd need at least two or three weeks to chip off the rust. I see him throw every day in quarterback drills, but he hasn't participated in any team drills.Part of me wonders if they're taking their time with Petty just so Christian Hackenberg can get some practice reps. They've effectively eliminated the fourth guy in this awkward, four-man quarterback situation. They basically put Petty on injured reserve without putting him on injured reserve.

Injury notwithstanding, Petty is closer to being game-ready than Hackenberg. If Hackenberg sees the field in 2016, it would be a Week 16 or Week 17 situation, with the Jets playing out the string. He's not ready to play, not even close. I've talked to scouts who were taken aback by how poorly he played in the preseason. They say he lacked poise and his mechanics were a mess. He's the quintessential project and that has to be maddening for fans because we've seen so many promising quarterbacks in the 2016 draft class.

Hang in there, Greeny. At least you have the Cubs.

>          http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63721/is-there-a-right-time-for-jets-to-play-bryce-petty-christian-hackenberg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kelly said:

The starting quarterback of the New York Jets has nine interceptions in two games, and the fan base is riled up. Our question of the week :

At what point do the #Jets start looking at their young QBs and in what order?@RichCimini #jetsmail

@RichCimini : Our friend Mike in Bristol seems ready to bail on Ryan Fitzpatrick, but it doesn't sound like Todd Bowles is leaning that way. If he is, he's doing a great job of hiding it. On Friday, Bowles said backupGeno Smith didn't receive any extra practice reps this week. This doesn't preclude Bowles from going to the bullpen Sunday, but I don't see it happening unless the game is out of hand.There's some frustration in the organization because of the alarming number of turnovers, but I don't get the sense there's a great deal of confidence in Smith. He's viewed as a lame-duck backup. If they saw him as the answer, he'd be in there now. They wouldn't be paying Fitzpatrick $12 million if they thought they could win with Smith. That's why I believe Fitzpatrick will continue to get the benefit of the doubt.

You know how football coaches are, Mike. They don't play for the future until they're mathematically eliminated -- and that's if they have the security of knowing they won't get fired. Bowles isn't on the hot seat, so if the season gets away from them, I could see them turning to one of the young quarterbacks. Maybe Bryce Petty will be up to speed by then, but he's not close to being ready. He hasn't practiced in five weeks because of his bruised throwing shoulder, so he'd need at least two or three weeks to chip off the rust. I see him throw every day in quarterback drills, but he hasn't participated in any team drills.Part of me wonders if they're taking their time with Petty just so Christian Hackenberg can get some practice reps. They've effectively eliminated the fourth guy in this awkward, four-man quarterback situation. They basically put Petty on injured reserve without putting him on injured reserve.

Injury notwithstanding, Petty is closer to being game-ready than Hackenberg. If Hackenberg sees the field in 2016, it would be a Week 16 or Week 17 situation, with the Jets playing out the string. He's not ready to play, not even close. I've talked to scouts who were taken aback by how poorly he played in the preseason. They say he lacked poise and his mechanics were a mess. He's the quintessential project and that has to be maddening for fans because we've seen so many promising quarterbacks in the 2016 draft class.

Hang in there, Greeny. At least you have the Cubs.

>          http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63721/is-there-a-right-time-for-jets-to-play-bryce-petty-christian-hackenberg

Wentz was nowhere near ready to play, Prescott was nowhere near ready to play. Siemian was nowhere near ready to play. Lynch was nowhere near ready to play. Did I forget anyone else? Oh yeah, Briskett was nowhere near ready either. This is pure unadulterated BS. The reason our guys are nowhere near ready to play is we have inferior developmental teaching skills and defective coaching. Our guys are football players and men just like the ones who are playing and succeeding. This is not doing a heart transplant whereby a doctor would not be skilled enough until he has years of experience, this is a game, football. I am so tired of hearing our guys are not ready. F that, put them in and lets see them give it a go after preparing in practice with the first team.

Jesus this not ready $hit drives me bananas.

7 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Wentz was nowhere near ready to play, Prescott was nowhere near ready to play. Siemian was nowhere near ready to play. Lynch was nowhere near ready to play. Did I forget anyone else? Oh yeah, Briskett was nowhere near ready either. This is pure unadulterated BS. The reason our guys are nowhere near ready to play is we have inferior developmental teaching skills and defective coaching. Our guys are football players and men just like the ones who are playing and succeeding. This is not doing a heart transplant whereby a doctor would not be skilled enough until he has years of experience, this is a game, football. I am so tired of hearing our guys are not ready. F that, put them in and lets see them give it a go after preparing in practice with the first team.

Jesus this not ready $hit drives me bananas.

I guess  our coaching staff for the last decade has not been able to develop a QB, maybe it's the QB, or we don't know how to pick them.

40 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I guess  our coaching staff for the last decade has not been able to develop a QB, maybe it's the QB, or we don't know how to pick them.

Denver has 2 supposed guys who can't play, and I would love to have either one here. Although if they were here, they would probably never dress for games because our esteemed CS would think they can't play.

This is pure coaching incompetence

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Denver has 2 supposed guys who can't play, and I would love to have either one here. Although if they were here, they would probably never dress for games because our esteemed CS would think they can't play.

This is pure coaching incompetence

You may be right. I am definitely puzzled by the length of the Petty injury, I am not a Dr but I thought it would be a shorter recovery period for a bruise. I wanted Lynch but we picked Hack so I would have to put that on Mac. Gailey I am sure would have a lot of say in the QB decision. 

15 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

You may be right. I am definitely puzzled by the length of the Petty injury, I am not a Dr but I thought it would be a shorter recovery period for a bruise. I wanted Lynch but we picked Hack so I would have to put that on Mac. Gailey I am sure would have a lot of say in the QB decision. 

they're generally pretty truthful with injuries, this regime.  that's what makes the petty situation all the more puzzling.  i guess there's enough other questions everyone is asking them, that they don't have to talk about petty's shoulder.  they probably figured they'd be 2-2 and noone would be calling for fitz's head right now.

49 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Probably is affected by the fact that he's not playing one way or the other. Might as well let him rest up and heal fully rather than try to get him more practice reps when he's not going to start.

Just now, jamesr said:

Probably is affected by the fact that he's not playing one way or the other. Might as well let him rest up and heal fully rather than try to get him more practice reps when he's not going to start.

but he hasn't practiced in 6 weeks, so they obviously haven't revealed the full extent of the injury.

On 10/8/2016 at 9:29 AM, Integrity28 said:

So many words, without saying anything of significance.

True. He could have narrowed it down to: we don't have a franchise QB, Geno Smurph sucks, our defense sucks and Mac has no clue how to get a franchise QB. 

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Catching up with Hack : Christian Hackenberg has disappeared from the radar screen since closing the preseason with an 11-for-31 stinker, but he's working behind the scenes to make something positive out of the season. The rookie quarterback, fourth on the only four-man depth chart in the NFL, is trying to maximize his scout-team reps. He's also taking copious notes. He carries in his knapsack no fewer than three spirals: one devoted to game-plan notes (he has already gone through one notebook), one on defenses and one from college. At the end of the season, he'll organize everything and formulate a plan for the offseason.

"The offseason will be big, obviously," he said.

Hackenberg is three injuries away from seeing the field, making him an outlier in this year's quarterback class. Five of the top eight quarterbacks already have started at least one game, including three selected below him -- Jacoby Brissett, Cody Kessler and Dak Prescott. The Jets are taking some heat for picking Hackenberg in the second round, and it's warranted because they overdrafted with him and could've used an immediate contributor. But here's the thing: It can't be ruled a failure until we see what Hackenberg becomes. If, by chance, he develops into a competent starter, it'll be a win for the Jets.

Hackenberg said he's not discouraged even though some of his classmates already are thriving.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat," he said. "I'm happy for the guys playing well. I know a lot of them. That's cool, but there are a lot of ways to get it."

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63959/jets-rookie-christian-hackenberg-stays-patient-confident-his-time-will-come

My understanding is that Geno is getting back up reps, Petty and Hack are not which means they are using opposing Offensive plays against our 1st string defensive which translates to....if anybody replaces Fitz it will be Geno. They are not running the Jets offense in practice. Until Petty or Hack get backup reps they remain 3rd & 4th stringers. 

— Christian Hackenberg is getting to know the sideline.

For the first time in his life, the Jets rookie quarterback is a backup. Hackenberg said he’s always been a starter in any sport he’s played, including three years of football at Penn State. But the Jets’ plan this year is clear — let him sit and watch. He’s the fourth quarterback in a room of four quarterbacks.“It’s hard,” Hackenberg said this week. “Obviously, the competitor in you wants to go out and play. Because it is the situation, you’ve got two ways you can handle it: You can sit, pout and mope, or take the positive opportunities out of it and focus on those. I think that’s what I’m really trying to do.”

Hackenberg is trying to embrace this learning opportunity. He gets practice reps with the scout team, mimicking that week’s opponent, and then studies what starter Ryan Fitzpatrick is doing.“This is the first time in any sport I’ve been able to do this,” Hackenberg said. “I think it’s good to be able to sit back and learn and understand that when I do have my opportunity, I’m going to be as prepared as possible. It’s not going to be one of those things where I’m thrown into the fire — sink or swim — and as you go, you learn. I can sit back and learn as much as I can. I’m not going to say that when I get out there, it’s going to be perfect. There are things you need to be able to go out and do it. But I’m just learning the process of going through an NFL season, practicing, being in the locker room, being in the film room. I think it’s pretty cool to be able to take that in.”

The Jets drafted Hackenberg in the second round — the 51st pick overall — in April. He was a polarizing pick among draft gurus. Some saw the talent that made him the No. 1 high school quarterback in America as a senior and the skill he showed as a freshman at Penn State under Bill O’Brien. Others concentrated on the flaws that showed up in his sophomore and junior years under James Franklin when he played behind a weak offensive line and looked miscast in the offense.

While rookie quarterbacks are all the rage in the NFL right now, the Jets have no plans to play theirs. In fact, if Hackenberg ends up playing this year, something went really, really wrong with the Jets. Even if the Jets decide to bench Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith is next in line. Then Bryce Petty is the quarterback they would turn to if they feel 2016 is a lost season and they need to look to the future.

Petty returned to practice this week after suffering a shoulder injury at the end of the preseason. Petty’s absence led to more chances for Hackenberg in practice.“I think the more throws he can get, the better,” coach Todd Bowles said.

Now, he will be splitting those reps with Petty and Smith. Hackenberg said it has been valuable to learn opponents’ offenses, apply it to the Jets’ system, and to face the Jets’ starting defense.“To go out and get the reps against a live defense is awesome,” Hackenberg said. “Even though you’re reading [opponents’ plays] off a card, you can try to relate that to some concepts you have. I think those are the two positives you can take from it.”

Hackenberg also has gained something by watching the veteran Fitzpatrick work.“He’s been awesome,” Hackenberg said. “He’s helped me out in so many ways. It’s not just football. Going through a practice week, how you prepare, how you talk to a Brandon Marshall, how you talk to those guys, how you get points across. I think just sitting back and being able to observe those situations and conversations is really cool for me.”

>      http://nypost.com/2016/10/17/how-christian-hackenberg-is-spending-invisible-season-with-jets/

seifert_kevin_m.jpg

Kevin SeifertNFL Nation 

Interesting report from ESPN's Lisa Salters: Geno Smith says he is getting "antsy" amid the Jets' losing record and his continuing time on the sideline. I'm not sure how Jets fans should react to that. I feel confident, however, that Smith isn't the future of the position for the Jets.

>        http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

2 minutes ago, kelly said:
seifert_kevin_m.jpg

Kevin SeifertNFL Nation 

Interesting report from ESPN's Lisa Salters: Geno Smith says he is getting "antsy" amid the Jets' losing record and his continuing time on the sideline. I'm not sure how Jets fans should react to that. I feel confident, however, that Smith isn't the future of the position for the Jets.

>        http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

he's about to play the role of fredo....passed over.

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Another noteworthy Todd Bowles comment from today: The Jets coach said its "definitely possible" that Bryce Petty and/or Christian Hackenberg could play at some point. But he added, "We've still got some stages to go before we get to that point."

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

-- If coach Todd Bowles based his quarterback decision on fan polls, the New York Jets' starter would be Bryce Petty.

Earth to fans : Petty isn't ready to play. He missed five weeks of practice due to a throwing-shoulder injury, which eliminated him from consideration, according to Bowles.The sobering truth is, Bowles didn't have any great options -- and that's sad, because the Jets have more quarterbacks (four) than any team in the NFL. It's never a good time for your starter to have a slump, but the timing of Ryan Fitzpatrick's drought was awful.

The kid quarterbacks, Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg, aren't ready now for different reasons. It left Geno Smith as the only option, and he's already a lame duck. He will be a free agent after the season -- ditto Fitzpatrick -- and his return in 2017 is highly unlikely.Smith said all the right things Wednesday, but let's be real: He won't save the season. His 58-percent career completion mark is the worst among 41 quarterbacks with at least 500 attempts since 2013, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The odds are stacked against him, especially with noEric Decker and no running game.

Eventually, Petty will replace Smith. Count on it. The Jets (1-5) have four games before the bye week, which would be an opportune time to make the switch. A lot depends on their record. Bowles might not want to start the 2017 auditions until the team is mathematically eliminated, which might not happen until early December.So, basically, Smith is a bridge quarterback, just as Fitzpatrick was a bridge quarterback. Fitzpatrick's bridge was supposed to be longer than that of Smith, but 11 interceptions in six games changed the blueprint.

The Jets have a lot of bridges, all right. Bridges and quarterbacks.

"[Smith] is our starter right now and we’ll see how things go down the line," said Bowles, leaving open the possibility of another change. "I can only go week to week."Petty hasn't entered the picture yet. He "needs to practice a good bit and get some reps," Bowles said. Makes sense. Petty, coming off an encouraging preseason, has no regular-season experience since the Jets drafted him in the fourth round in 2015. He didn't start practicing until last week, and he can't be expected to get up to speed in a week or two.

Hackenberg ? Not even close.

"You’ve got to get reps to get ready," Bowles said of the second-round pick. "He’s a rookie quarterback and he’s got three in front of him. He’s not going to get enough reps to be ready to throw in there like that. He’s getting plenty of scout team reps. He’s learning poise in the pocket and is getting experience that way."

The Jets have four quarterbacks and no immediate answers. You don't see that every day.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64095/jets-qb-situation-two-bridges-no-skyscrapers-and-bryce-petty

While swapping starting quarterbacks and replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick with Geno Smith, the Jets are essentially flip-flopping two guys who almost certainly won't be with the organization next season. 

Both Fitzpatrick and Smith are pending free agents. The Jets are 1-5. If they continue to lose, how quickly will they turn to second-year pro Bryce Petty and/or rookie Christian Hackenberg ?

Petty just returned last week from a preseason shoulder injury, and Jets coachTodd Bowles said Wednesday that Hackenberg is "not ready" to play. Neither Petty nor Hackenberg has ever appeared in an NFL regular season game. 

So the starter decision came down to Smith or Fitzpatrick. 

But what about when the Jets are eliminated from playoff contention ? 

"He's our starter right now and we'll see how things go down the line," Bowles said of Smith. "I can only go week to week."

Bowles said that, even without an injury to Smith, he could turn back to Fitzpatrick this season. But it is highly unlikely that'll happen.If the Jets continue to lose and Smith stinks, they surely will take a look at Petty — once they are out of playoff contention, but probably not before then. 

How long until Petty could be ready? 

"He needs to practice a good bit and get some reps," Bowles said. "He needs to practice a little while." 

So why isn't Hackenberg ready right now? (The answer to this seems obvious, based on how raw Hackenberg looked in the preseason.)"You've got to get reps to get ready," Bowles said. "He's a rookie quarterback and he's got three [quarterbacks] in front of him. He's not going to get enough reps to be ready to throw in there like that. He's getting plenty of scout team reps. He's learning poise in the pocket and is getting experience that way." 

Bottom line : Don't expect to see Hackenberg (or Fitzpatrick again) this season, but do expect the Jets to give Petty a chance if the season falls apart even more. 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/when_might_jets_bryce_petty_be_ready_to_play_if_ge.html#incart_river_index

The Jets quarterback quandary will wind through Geno Smith before the inevitable next stop during this lost season: Bryce Petty's time is coming.

The second-year quarterback offers this star-crossed franchise some hope for the future. The temporary transition from Ryan Fitzpatrick to the erratic Smith is doomed to fail. Petty will be next in line to show team decision makers that he deserves serious consideration to compete for the starting job in 2017."To this point, I've been taking advantage of the checks," a candid Petty told the Daily News. "I want to contribute. I want to compete. But that's everybody in this locker room. So, I just have to continue to get better and study that book and study the gameplans and be ready to rock n' roll. That part hasn't changed since Day One…. So, definitely, yeah, I'm ready to play."

Petty might have already had his chance if not for a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason finale in Philadelphia that prompted him to miss five weeks of practice. He displayed poise, pocket presence and a cannon arm during a promising preseason that opened plenty of eyes within the organization. He was far from perfect, but he flashed enough to make decision makers wonder about the possibilities.Although Todd Bowles said that Petty, who returned to practice on a full-time basis last week, needs to "practice a good bit and get reps," before becoming a serious option to start, don't be fooled. Petty will get a chance when the 1-5 Jets lose their eighth game (signaling the unofficial official end to any flickering playoff hopes), if not sooner.

"Shoot, I want game action," Petty said about getting a chance to play at some point this season. "I think that's what everybody in this locker room wants… is to get an opportunity. That's all you can ask for in life in general, much less in this game. So, I definitely want an opportunity. … My plan is to go in and prepare like I am and then just wait for my number to be called and just jump on that opportunity. I've been in this league a short amount of time, but what I have learned is that when you do get your opportunity, you got to jump on it. Because they're quick and few and far between."

Petty's work ethic is commendable. He is literally the first quarterback to arrive at the facility at 5:30 each morning, according to people other than Petty. He has been a willing learner for the better part of the past year and a half. He has never complained, whined or tweeted cryptic messages about a lack of playing time. He is authentically humble. He has leadership qualities that should be cultivated.

The organization's decision to draft Christian Hackenberg in the second round prompted him to elevate his game. He entered the preseason unsure whether he'd even make the Week 1 roster. He responded by outplaying Smith and Hackenberg before getting hurt.

The preseason success emboldened him.

"The biggest thing is the confidence level," Petty said. "When I was in the game, I was so much more comfortable than I was (last year). In the last two weeks on scout team… it's a totally different feel. I've built a foundation now from OTAs this past year to camp to preseason to where it's like, 'Man, you can play. You can do this.' And that's huge for the quarterback position. You got to be confident with your abilities. Last year was a whirl-wind like 'Man, this is a lot.' Now it's like, 'I can do this.'"

Petty will lean on Fitzpatrick for guidance as always. Fitzpatrick is still the team leader even though his job description has changed. He's always willing to help."Well, I still am," Fitzpatrick told The News about being the team leader. "I still am going to be looked at as that. I still have to go about my business that way, but it's hard because it's in a different capacity. But that just doesn't go away. … The respect that guys have for me just doesn't go away because I'm not out there playing."Fitzpatrick has been an invaluable resource to Petty, who's been smart enough to understand how helpful the veteran can be to his development. His time is coming.

The Jets need to evaluate what they have in him. He provides hope.

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/bryce-petty-shot-qb-jets-wait-article-1.2838320

It has been a whirlwind seven days for Jets coach Todd Bowles.

It started on Wednesday when he decided to benchRyan Fitzpatrick for Geno Smith. Then on Sunday, in the second quarter against the Ravens, Smith suffered a knee injury and was replaced by Fitzpatrick. On Monday, MRI results revealed a torn ACL in Smith's right knee

Now Fitzpatrick is the starter again. But behind him? Well, Bowles is waiting for things to settle a bit more before making that call. 

"It's something I'll have to discuss with the coaches," Bowles said. "We'll see what the game plan is and who fits what as far as us making that kind of decision."With Smith now done for the season, there isn't much regarding experience behind Fitzpatrick on the Jets' roster. In fact, neither of the two backup options — second-year pro Bryce Petty, rookie Christian Hackenberg — has attempted a pass in an NFL game. 

Petty was selected in the fourth round of last year's draft and viewed as a wildcard project. He had talent, no doubt, but had no clue how to read a defense or play under center. Hackenberg was taken in the second-round of this year's draft, but like Petty, was not viewed as someone that would be ready to play this season. 

Essentially, if Fitzpatrick were to go down now, the quarterback play could get even uglier (if you can imagine that). 

Common sense would say that Petty should be the No. 2. He has spent a year in the Jets' offense, and looked OK in the preseason this summer — 481 passing yards, three touchdowns, one interception.  But Petty injured his shoulder against the Eagles in the finale, and only returned to practice two weeks ago.So that would lead one to assume Hackenberg is the right choice ... only he's not. If his two two preseason appearances are any indication, the Jets may be better off trotting out a one-armed Petty. Hackenberg completed 17 of 47 passes (36.2 percent) for 159 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions against the Giants and Eagles. He had a quarterback rating of 35.7. 

"I feel comfortable with Bryce playing," Bowles said. "But he missed a month of football. You still have to get your feet wet and your reads down. Unlike any other position, at the quarterback position, you need the practice time to see a lot of things."Bowles seemed to indicate that a decision won't be made on Fitzpatrick's backup until the week's end. He's going to watch practice, evaluate both Hackenberg and Petty, then make a decision. He did rule out the possibility of having all three players active against Cleveland. 

At least right now, about the only certain about the Jets' quarterback position was the most uncertain thing just a week ago."Fitzpatrick finished the game up," Bowles said. "We're going from there with Fitzpatrick." 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/christian_hackenberg_bryce_petty_todd_bowles_not_n.html#incart_river_index

Archived