..how 'bout Petty or Hackenberg ? ? ?

kelly

-- Todd Bowles still hasn't named Bryce Petty the No. 2 quarterback. That should provide insight into the coach's thinking on how he feels about Petty as a potential starter.

It won't happen anytime soon. Nor should it.

As long as the New York Jets (2-5) are mathematically alive, they should stick with Fitzpatrick, who gives them the best chance to win. There will be a time for Petty, and that time likely will happen before the end of the season.

Chances are, they will come a point where they will want to evaluate players for 2017."We’re not at that point," Bowles said on Wednesday. "We’re not even close to that point."

Like every coach, Bowles lives in a week-to-week world. His only concern is the Cleveland Browns (0-7). He's not worried about long-range plans. When he hears "big picture," he assumes you're talking about the size of the flat screen in his office, where he watches game video."(We're) trying to win some ball games and get in the playoffs," said Bowles, giving his definition of big picture.

Down to three quarterbacks, the Jets are holding a mini-competition this week to determine the No. 2 spot for Sunday. It's Petty versus Hackenberg. On Wednesday, they both took some reps with the first team (customary for the primary backup), but Bowles declined to say which player got more work. He'll make a decision by the end of the week.It would be an upset if Petty isn't the No. 2. He and Hackenberg have the same number of regular-season snaps -- zero -- but Petty has been around for a season and is more comfortable in the offense than the rookie from Penn State.

Thing is, Petty fell behind after injuring his throwing shoulder in the final preseason game. This is his third week of practice; this is Hackenberg's eighth week. In Bowles' mind, they're both neophytes. He doesn't want to hand either one the backup job; he wants them to earn it."He's just got to get a lot of reps, that's all," Bowles said of Petty, adding that he has no physical limitations from his injury.

Petty did some nice things in the preseason, exciting the anti-Fitzpatrick, anti-Geno Smith fans. But he also had some bad moments. Eventually, he'll get a shot. For now, he should focus on winning the No. 2 job.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64330/jets-holding-no-2-qb-competition-bryce-petty-vs-christian-hackenberg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryce Petty’s dilemma while he’s one step away from starting

Bryce Petty waits his turn, suddenly a heartbeat from the presidency.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is back against the Browns, but Geno Smith is gone, and so this is kind of a Throw-22 situation for Petty, who has waited a year-and-half for a chance most Jets fans want for him as much as he wants for himself.

Except it likely would come at the expense of a playoff run.

Petty, though, is made of the right stuff, which will endear himself to his team and to those fans.

advertisement

“It is a balance, but at the same time, to me it’s always been team-first,” Petty said Wednesday. “It is a funny position when you think about it, but at the same time, shoot, I would much rather go to playoffs than it be the other way around. It’d be awesome to play, but in the case that I’m playing because we’re not in a playoff race, if I was happy about that or excited about that, what kind of teammate would I be?

“I really do hope that both things get to happen. It is a tough spot, but it’s always team-first, always has been, always will be. If Coach feels Fitz is the best person for that job, then I’m going to be happy about that and help him in whatever way I can.”

Petty watches rookie quarterbacks around the league — Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz and Cody Kessler — open eyes and somehow is able to tame the raging competitive beast inside him and be more patient than a fan base desperately seeking its franchise quarterback.

“You cheer for those guys,” Petty said. “You like to see everybody be successful anyways.”

It should give him hope. “I don’t, I guess, base my success off of theirs,” Petty said. “For me, it’s, ‘Have I gotten better since Day 1?’

“And I can answer that with a resounding ‘Yes.’ And so, you build off of that. You kind of create your own success.”

Petty and Christian Hackenberg getting some first-team reps at Wednesday’s practice is no tease. Petty is more likely to relieve Fitzpatrick once the 2-5 Jets are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. And perhaps sooner. Petty will bring what he calls a warrior leadership and warrior mindset to the job, something he has seen from Fitzpatrick every day.

“You got to be battle-tested in this game,” said Petty, who missed time with a shoulder bruise suffered in the preseason. “It does show a lot about who you are as a person, because you go through a lot of ups and downs. Within a season, within a game, within a series.

“And so, you kind of have to have that warrior mindset of that until that final whistle blows, you’re gonna fight, you’re gonna fight for your guys, you’re gonna fight for the coaches, city … the whole thing.”

A fourth-round project out of Baylor’s spread offense, Petty has taken a big leap.

Modal Triggerbryce-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=198&s
Bryce Petty takes a snap from Breno Giacomini during a Jets practice earlier this month.Photo: Anthony J. Causi

“Yeah, big, big leap, big leap,” Petty said. “And that’s the best part, is I’m climbing. Realistically, I feel like from an NFL standpoint from what a quarterback needs to know, I kind of did start from ground level.

“I’ve come a long way, I’ve come a long way. So that’s exciting for me … leaps and bounds from last year.”

Fitzpatrick has been an invaluable resource for him.

“You hear hints and whispers and rumors of how guys act to younger guys coming in, because the nature of the beast is they’re coming to take your spot,” Petty said, “so not everybody is welcoming to that aspect. But Fitz told me that that’s how he was brought up. His guys helped him out a lot, and so it was kind of a pay-it-forward mentality. There’s not a word or a number to describe what he’s done for me in my learning process.”

Petty, a young man of faith, is a small-town Texan with absolutely no fear of New York.

“I want every time to go out there that people can tell I’m having fun, and I think that’s kind of what helps me battle the ups and the downs, is to know that, man, there’s a lot of people that would love to be where I’m at,” he said. “You’re gonna have your opinions about what you write about on the field, and even off the field, but I know who I am and I know why I play.”

Even when he doesn’t play.

“I think that anything in life that is worth getting, you work for, and especially in any leadership position, it’s that attitude of ‘I want to show you, not tell you,’ ” Petty said.

“I’ve had to wait, I’ve had to watch. Not everybody just comes in here and plays, and so you gotta stick things out, and keep a level head, and keep your confidence, and you just come in with the same attitude every day to get better and be a good teammate and normally good things happen.”

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Bryce Petty’s dilemma while he’s one step away from starting

Ryan Fitzpatrick is back against the Browns, but Geno Smith is gone, and so this is kind of a Throw-22 situation for Petty, who has waited a year-and-half for a chance most Jets fans want for him as much as he wants for himself.

Petty, though, is made of the right stuff, which will endear himself to his team and to those fans.

advertisement

“It is a balance, but at the same time, to me it’s always been team-first,” Petty said Wednesday. “It is a funny position when you think about it, but at the same time, shoot, I would much rather go to playoffs than it be the other way around. It’d be awesome to play, but in the case that I’m playing because we’re not in a playoff race, if I was happy about that or excited about that, what kind of teammate would I be?

“I really do hope that both things get to happen. It is a tough spot, but it’s always team-first, always has been, always will be. If Coach feels Fitz is the best person for that job, then I’m going to be happy about that and help him in whatever way I can.”

Petty watches rookie quarterbacks around the league — Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz and Cody Kessler — open eyes and somehow is able to tame the raging competitive beast inside him and be more patient than a fan base desperately seeking its franchise quarterback.

“You cheer for those guys,” Petty said. “You like to see everybody be successful anyways.”

It should give him hope. “I don’t, I guess, base my success off of theirs,” Petty said. “For me, it’s, ‘Have I gotten better since Day 1?’

“And I can answer that with a resounding ‘Yes.’ And so, you build off of that. You kind of create your own success.”

Petty and Christian Hackenberg getting some first-team reps at Wednesday’s practice is no tease. Petty is more likely to relieve Fitzpatrick once the 2-5 Jets are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. And perhaps sooner. Petty will bring what he calls a warrior leadership and warrior mindset to the job, something he has seen from Fitzpatrick every day.

“You got to be battle-tested in this game,” said Petty, who missed time with a shoulder bruise suffered in the preseason. “It does show a lot about who you are as a person, because you go through a lot of ups and downs. Within a season, within a game, within a series.

“And so, you kind of have to have that warrior mindset of that until that final whistle blows, you’re gonna fight, you’re gonna fight for your guys, you’re gonna fight for the coaches, city … the whole thing.”

A fourth-round project out of Baylor’s spread offense, Petty has taken a big leap.

Modal Triggerbryce-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=198&s
Bryce Petty takes a snap from Breno Giacomini during a Jets practice earlier this month.Photo: Anthony J. Causi

“Yeah, big, big leap, big leap,” Petty said. “And that’s the best part, is I’m climbing. Realistically, I feel like from an NFL standpoint from what a quarterback needs to know, I kind of did start from ground level.

“I’ve come a long way, I’ve come a long way. So that’s exciting for me … leaps and bounds from last year.”

Fitzpatrick has been an invaluable resource for him.

“You hear hints and whispers and rumors of how guys act to younger guys coming in, because the nature of the beast is they’re coming to take your spot,” Petty said, “so not everybody is welcoming to that aspect. But Fitz told me that that’s how he was brought up. His guys helped him out a lot, and so it was kind of a pay-it-forward mentality. There’s not a word or a number to describe what he’s done for me in my learning process.”

Petty, a young man of faith, is a small-town Texan with absolutely no fear of New York.

“I want every time to go out there that people can tell I’m having fun, and I think that’s kind of what helps me battle the ups and the downs, is to know that, man, there’s a lot of people that would love to be where I’m at,” he said. “You’re gonna have your opinions about what you write about on the field, and even off the field, but I know who I am and I know why I play.”

“I think that anything in life that is worth getting, you work for, and especially in any leadership position, it’s that attitude of ‘I want to show you, not tell you,’ ” Petty said.

“I’ve had to wait, I’ve had to watch. Not everybody just comes in here and plays, and so you gotta stick things out, and keep a level head, and keep your confidence, and you just come in with the same attitude every day to get better and be a good teammate and normally good things happen.”

Can't wait to see this young man under center.  Love his attitude. 

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Petty isn't ready even though he's been carrying a clipboard for 18 months. Hackenberg isn't ready even though he warranted a 2nd round selection. It is completely unreasonable to ask football players to play football so let's cool our jets here guys.

Good teams develop players, the Jets are a good team so thats what were doing

“I really do hope that both things get to happen. It is a tough spot, but it’s always team-first, always has been, always will be. If Coach feels Fitz is the best person for that job, then I’m going to be happy about that and help him in whatever way I can.”Petty watches rookie quarterbacks around the league — Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz and Cody Kessler — open eyes and somehow is able to tame the raging competitive beast inside him and be more patient than a fan base desperately seeking its franchise quarterback.

“You cheer for those guys,” Petty said. “You like to see everybody be successful anyways.”It should give him hope. “I don’t, I guess, base my success off of theirs,” Petty said. “For me, it’s, ‘Have I gotten better since Day 1?’

Petty and Christian Hackenberg getting some first-team reps at Wednesday’s practice is no tease. Petty is more likely to relieve Fitzpatrick once the 2-5 Jets are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. And perhaps sooner. Petty will bring what he calls a warrior leadership and warrior mindset to the job, something he has seen from Fitzpatrick every day.“You got to be battle-tested in this game,” said Petty, who missed time with a shoulder bruise suffered in the preseason. “It does show a lot about who you are as a person, because you go through a lot of ups and downs. Within a season, within a game, within a series.“And so, you kind of have to have that warrior mindset of that until that final whistle blows, you’re gonna fight, you’re gonna fight for your guys, you’re gonna fight for the coaches, city … the whole thing.”

“Yeah, big, big leap, big leap,” Petty said. “And that’s the best part, is I’m climbing. Realistically, I feel like from an NFL standpoint from what a quarterback needs to know, I kind of did start from ground level.“I’ve come a long way, I’ve come a long way. So that’s exciting for me … leaps and bounds from last year.”

Fitzpatrick has been an invaluable resource for him.“You hear hints and whispers and rumors of how guys act to younger guys coming in, because the nature of the beast is they’re coming to take your spot,” Petty said, “so not everybody is welcoming to that aspect. But Fitz told me that that’s how he was brought up. His guys helped him out a lot, and so it was kind of a pay-it-forward mentality. There’s not a word or a number to describe what he’s done for me in my learning process.”

Petty, a young man of faith, is a small-town Texan with absolutely no fear of New York.“I want every time to go out there that people can tell I’m having fun, and I think that’s kind of what helps me battle the ups and the downs, is to know that, man, there’s a lot of people that would love to be where I’m at,” he said. “You’re gonna have your opinions about what you write about on the field, and even off the field, but I know who I am and I know why I play.”

“I think that anything in life that is worth getting, you work for, and especially in any leadership position, it’s that attitude of ‘I want to show you, not tell you,’ ” Petty said.“I’ve had to wait, I’ve had to watch. Not everybody just comes in here and plays, and so you gotta stick things out, and keep a level head, and keep your confidence, and you just come in with the same attitude every day to get better and be a good teammate and normally good things happen.”

>     http://nypost.com/2016/10/27/bryce-petty-talks-about-what-its-like-to-be-step-away-from-starting/

Now that the 2-5 Jets are down to three quarterbacks, because of Geno Smith's ACL tear, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is starting again, it seems reasonable to look toward the future — and wonder when second-year pro Bryce Petty and/or rookie Christian Hackenberg might play this season. 

Barring an injury to Fitzpatrick, there's a chance the Jets could play one or both young quarterbacks once the team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. Or perhaps even before that, according to coach Todd Bowles.More immediately, Bowles is still determining which guy — Petty or Hackenberg — will back up Fitzpatrick forSunday's game at the Browns

There are a lot of questions swirling around Petty. But one thing he doesn't question: If he will be ready when his number is called, whenever that happens. "I've prepared like the starter since I've been in here, Day 1," Petty told NJ Advance Media on Thursday. "If that does happen, then I'm prepared and I'm ready. It's not a total, 'Oh, gosh, what's going on?'" 

Petty knows if the Jets continue to win — which likely will come with at least competent play from Fitzpatrick — then the young quarterbacks won't play. 

"It's a team game," Petty said. "I'm going to be a team guy. What I feel and what I want right now is irrelevant. What we're in is reality. Which is: It's Ryan's deal."But for how long, if the Jets' season spirals? And if the playoffs are a lost cause, would the Jets play Petty as Fitzpatrick's initial replacement? Or Hackenberg? Remember, the Jets drafted Hackenberg in Round 2 this year, a year after drafting Petty in Round 4. Would they skip over Petty in the pecking order this year? 

Hackenberg looked very raw in the preseason, and nowhere close to being ready to thrive in the NFL. Petty also remains something of a project player, but he showed progress in the preseason. Still, he hasn't played in the regular season.Petty experienced a slight setback in his progress this preseason, when he sustained a shoulder injury in the Aug. 19 game at Washington. He didn't fully participate in practice again until Oct. 13.

He began throwing about four weeks after his injury, but he wasn't getting team periods practice work until two weeks ago. Which is why he might be too rusty to be Fitzpatrick's understudy Sunday. (That's what Bowles is trying to determine.) "You can only do so much until you're out there [practicing]," Petty said. "I really felt like I was starting to get comfortable with things, from a defensive [recognition] standpoint and a protection standpoint. Just getting in a rhythm." 

Petty isn't sure how much more practice action he will need until he feels ready to play, if called upon. He and Hackenberg have split scout team reps this week. They are both getting more reps overall now that Smith is finished for the year. "I can feel [now] that it's kind of knocking the dust off," Petty said. "Each time I get back in there, I get more and more back to where I was." 

Though there's a decent chance Petty plays at some point this season, he doesn't need game action in order to feel like 2016 was productive for him. 

"It can definitely be productive and successful this year, regardless of getting in there or not," Petty said.Petty knows it would be helpful to play in regular season games to gauge his progress, saying, "You've just got to get out there." But there is much he can glean from the increased practice reps he will receive now that Smith is out. "Practice here is harder than the games, because I feel like in the games, it clears up a little more," Petty said. "The defense has to be where they're supposed to be [in a game] when you snap the ball. Whereas here, they can kind of play around a little bit more [pre-snap] and mess with you from that standpoint." 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/how_close_is_jets_bryce_petty_to_being_ready_to_pl.html#incart_river_index

-- Last week, the big story surrounding the New York Jets was about the change in starting quarterbacks, moving from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Geno Smith. Now, with Smith out for the season due to a torn ACL and Fitzpatrick reinstalled as the starter, the Jets have another quarterback controversy.

Who’s going to be the backup ?

“I’m not revealing that right now," Jets head coach Todd Bowles said Friday when asked whether second-year man Bryce Petty or rookie Christian Hackenberg will be No. 2 behind Fitzpatrick when the Jets visit the winlessCleveland Browns this Sunday.Bowles told reporters he’s decided on his backup for Sunday, but hadn’t talked to his assistant coaches to let them know of his decision and so wasn’t ready to tell the rest of the world yet. He said Petty, who missed the first five weeks because of a shoulder injury, had been ahead of Hackenberg on the depth chart before he got hurt, but while he was out, Hackenberg “got a lot of reps" in practice and has “learned a lot."

Neither has taken a snap in a regular-season game.

As reporters kept pressing with questions about the situation, Bowles got testy and put an end to the questioning.“No offense, but if I’m not going to tell you who it is, why are we having this discussion?" he said. “It’s really a waste of time. I’m not going to tell you anything. It’s not open for discussion, guys."

Hackenberg declined to talk to reporters after practice, and Petty said he hadn’t been informed who Sunday’s backup will be.

“Shoot, I have no idea," he said.Petty did, though, say he is “100 percent" healthy and just working on knocking the rust off while he gets some work running the Jets offense after three weeks working with the scout-team offense. He said he is ready to play in a game if he has to.“Yeah, I feel good," Petty said. “I’m healthy, and this week we’re just kind of knocking dust off. I’ve been involved, as far as writing things down and going over film and being in the film room with Ryan [Fitzpatrick], so that part hasn’t changed. Now that I get to take [first-team] reps, it’s better for me."

With the Jets at 2-5 and Smith done for the year, speculation is if the Jets fall out of the playoff hunt, they might want to give Petty and/or Hackenberg some playing time to see what they have at quarterback for 2017. Petty was asked if he senses he might have an opportunity to get on the field at some point this season.“I try not to deal with that stuff. It’s hypothetical," he said. “I think what I have is reality, and that’s what I base everything I do off of. What that means is for me to come in here and be the best teammate I can be, positive, and try to be consistent -- the same guy every day. So for me, the whole game plan is to be a better quarterback than I was yesterday, and wherever that leads, that leads."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64386/todd-bowles-not-ready-to-reveal-jets-no-2-quarterback

I honestly don't get what all the drama is about in naming the back up QB.    If the reporters are annoying him, just say who it is.  It's not like it's going to give the Browns any advantage.  The Browns aren't going to hold an emergency Saturday practice because Hack is the back up lol 

Christian Hackenberg is a forgotten man most days in theJets locker room. As the media swarm enters, then fans out, the rookie signal caller sits alone on his stool.

He eventually gathers his belongings, talks to a teammate or two, then leaves after a couple of minutes. Few people, if any, approach him. 

Hackenberg is the Jets' future. The team is right now in the present. He has little, if any, impact on game outcomes other than occupying a seat on the bench. 

Of course, with one more hit, that could all change. 

"If an opportunity presents itself," Hackenberg told NJ Advance Media by his locker this week, "I'll take advantage of it."

With Geno Smith out for the year with a torn ACL, the quarterback depth chart is a bit up the air. Ryan Fitzpatrick is once again the starter, but on a short leash. Which means Hackenberg, or second-year pro Bryce Petty, could be up next. Head coach Todd Bowles hasn't announced who his backup will be against the Browns this weekend. 

If it's No. 5, he feels he'll be ready. While not in the starting lineup, Hackenberg has been doing everything he can to get better this year.During practice, Hackenberg has taken near every rep with the scout team offense. Outside of practice, he has been using his extra free time to soak up additional information. Not just from those you'd expect — Gailey, Fitzpatrick and quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo — but everyone on the roster.

Hackenberg will poke in on defensive back meetings to see what they're doing. He'll interject when defensive linemen are having conversations about how to beat offensive linemen. "That's what the good ones, the great ones do," Hackenberg says. The Jets agree."You make the most of your limited reps, learn, learn and learn," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. "That's all you can do. That's the best you can do."

For the first time in his life, Hackenberg can focus solely on football. There are no more classes. No more tests to study for. No more limits on preparation.  

It's football, only football, and Hackenberg is making the most of it. 

"I've got all this time and all of these resources," Hackenberg said. "I'm doing everything I can to take advantage of them. The more you can gather, the more knowledge you get, suddenly, all of those little things start sticking. Things are starting to make sense because you never thought of them that way before."

Useful? Helpful? Sure. But don't get Hackenberg wrong, he wants to be on the field. Ever since he first strapped on a helmet as a little leaguer, he has been the starter. This sitting and watching stuff? It's all new. 

He sees what Carson Wentz is doing in Philadelphia. He's aware of Dak Prescott's successes in Dallas. He wants to do the same.But he knows right now, it's not in the cards. At least not yet."Some people could sulk and complain about not getting chances and opportunities," Hackenberg said. "To me? I think the best way to approach this is to take everything I possibly can out of it. I'm not playing, so I've got make the most of this extra time I have." 

"For me, I just want to stay in my lane and stay focused. I'm just trying to continue down my own path." 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/christian_hackenberg_waiting_for_opportunity_to_sh.html#incart_river_index

On 10/9/2016 at 1:22 AM, RoadFan said:

What a contribution?!?!  The time is approaching to play Petty....

Brilliant thought....     :roll:

Now that Geno is done - Petty should absolutely be playing the rest of the season.

Starting Fitzpatrick at this point is counterproductive.

Let Petty get all the first team regular season reps he can get - if he happens to get hurt, then play Hackenburg.

Playing Fitzpatrick is just taking away the opportunity to try and develop our young QB's and see what we have in them.

24 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Does anybody know when Petty will be 100% healthy from his PS injury?

The Jets and Petty himself say he is 100% healthy already.  He needs to knock the rust off though and get his reps in at this point probably for timing/chemistry issues since he hasn't thrown to anybody since week 4 of preseason.

2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

The Jets and Petty himself say he is 100% healthy already.  He needs to knock the rust off though and get his reps in at this point probably for timing/chemistry issues since he hasn't thrown to anybody since week 4 of preseason.

Yep, Petty is not on the injury report at all this week.

After playing things close to the vest, Jets coach Todd Bowles on Sunday ultimately opted for the unsurprising move of having second-year pro Bryce Petty be his backup quarterback, instead of rookie Christian Hackenberg.Petty did not play in Sunday's win at the Browns. He almost did, when Ryan Fitzpatrick was briefly evaluated for a concussion. But Fitzpatrick wound up missing no snaps, after being cleared. 

After the game, Bowles explained why he made Petty his backup, now that Geno Smith is out for the season with a torn ACL and Fitzpatrick is starting again."Bryce has seen more plays than Hack has seen," Bowles said. "Bryce has been here a year, and he has a little more experience, so we went that way." 

But Bowles also said this, when asked if the decision between Petty and Hackenberg was a close one: "I thought Bryce was ahead of him, but Hack is not too far behind." 

An interesting quote.

The Jets drafted Petty in Round 4 in 2015 and Hackenberg in Round 2 this year. They are clearly invested in developing Hackenberg as their potential future starting quarterback, but he remains raw, as was evident in the preseason. The Jets hadn't seen enough of Petty in 2015, while he only practiced and didn't play, to be sold on him as their definitive future starter. So they drafted Hackenberg. 

Where does this all leave Petty ?

Neither he nor Hackenberg has ever played in an NFL regular season game. Hackenberg was able to develop during the nearly two-month period that Petty recently missed due to a preseason shoulder injury. So it seems like he is catching up to Petty, who is something of a project player, too. Because neither has played in an actual game, both remain largely unproven, one way or the other. 

Fitzpatrick and Smith almost certainly won't be back with the Jets next season, as both are scheduled to become free agents. So the Jets will have some evaluating to do, with their two young quarterbacks, as they determine a pecking order for 2017 — which surely also will include the acquisition of a veteran quarterback. 

The Jets are 3-5, after two straight wins. Once they are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, whenever that happens, it is entirely possible they will play Petty and/or Hackenberg, to get an evaluation for the future. 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/jets_christian_hackenberg_not_too_far_behind_bryce.html#incart_river_index

The Jets are 3-6 after Sunday's 27-23 loss at the Dolphins. So is it time to look toward the future, and get some in-game evaluations of young quarterbacks Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg? 

Jets coach Todd Bowles apparently isn't ready to go there yet.

Bowles said after Sunday's game that even when he examines the film, he does not envision a scenario in which he might reevaluate the starting quarterback job, which currently belongs to Ryan Fitzpatrick

For his part, Fitzpatrick is unsurprisingly on-board with Bowles not benching him for the second time this season — presuming the MRI on his injured left knee turns out OK and he is healthy enough to play next week against the Rams. 

"I agree," Fitzpatrick said. 

Bowles was terse about the situation Sunday. 

"Ryan is our quarterback," Bowles said. 

Of course, Bowles admitted earlier in the season (before he benched Fitzpatrick) that he's not going to say anything worth seriously believing — in terms of a potential benching — in his postgame press conference, because he needs to discuss this stuff with his coaching staff before making an announcement. 

Fitzpatrick on Sunday completed 17 of 28 passes for 193 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. One of the picks handed the Dolphins a field goal. The other was thrown into the end zone in the fourth quarter, with the Jets down 20-16.Fitzpatrick's quarterback rating Sunday was 63.5. He now has eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions this season. He entered Sunday with the NFL's worst quarterback rating — 68.0. 

Petty played four snaps in place of Fitzpatrick (due to that knee injury), finishing a drive that ended in a field goal. Petty completed 2 of 2 passes for 19 yards."He was OK," Bowles said of Petty. "He did a good job. He didn't panic. He took his reads and he did a good job." 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/should_jets_todd_bowles_considering_benching_ryan.html#incart_river_index

You could hear Jets fans screaming Monday when coach Todd Bowles said a healthy Ryan Fitzpatrick gives the team the best chance to win. Backup Bryce Petty is more popular than either presidential candidate.Many viewed this as another maddening endorsement of Fitzpatrick by Bowles. I think it has more to do with Petty than Fitzpatrick, though. The Jets coaches don’t seem comfortable with the idea of Petty playing yet.

First, Bowles has made the decision to bench Fitzpatrick once already this season, when the coach went with Geno Smith to start the Ravens game. If he has this blind loyalty to the bearded one, why make that move?Next, look at how the Jets handled the backup quarterback decision before the Browns game after Smith was ruled out for the season. Bowles refused to say that week whether Petty or rookie Christian Hackenberg would be Fitzpatrick’s backup, though it is well known the Jets want to keep Hackenberg on the sideline this season.

That said to me that the coaches were unsure about where Petty was at after missing the first six weeks of the season with a shoulder injury. It is hard to read too much into four plays against the Dolphins, but the play-calling was extremely conservative in that small sample size.Now, this week Bowles is saying the job is Fitzpatrick’s if he is healthy enough. If Petty was impressing in practice, don’t you think the coaches would be putting him in? Don’t you think they are as sick of Fitzpatrick’s interceptions as you are?

Petty clearly is not ready in the coaches’ eyes. They see him every day. We don’t. At some point, Petty will get his shot. It does not feel like it is coming this week.

>       http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/are-jets-hiding-the-rough-truth-about-bryce-petty/

-- He is the most interesting man in the world.

The New York Jets' world, anyway.

Fans long to see him. Radio-show callers speak his name ... constantly. Reporters migrate toward his locker.

It's good to be Bryce Petty, suddenly the great hope of a lost season. A frustrated fan base has fixed its desperate eyes on him, calling for Petty to replace Ryan Fitzpatrick."If they got paid to make those decisions, then so be it," Petty said Wednesday at his locker. "As far as I'm concerned, Coach [Todd] Bowles is the leader of this team. He makes the decisions. I'm trying to be the best teammate I can be, and respect my role and respect anything and everything Coach Bowles says."

At least Petty has the right attitude. He's not telling people he's "antsy" to play, he's not behaving like a child on the sideline during games. He knows his place. He's a second-year quarterback whose NFL resume consists of four regular-season snaps (last week) and a few preseason highlights.Petty's time will come. At some point after next week's bye, he will get a chance to start. If Fitzpatrick beats the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday, then loses to the New England Patriots in Week 12, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Petty inherit the 4-7 Jets for their Monday night home game against the Indianapolis Colts. That would give him five games to show the organization he can be their starter in 2017.

"If you look too far into the future, you're going to lose today," Petty said. "I'm trying to be a better quarterback today than I was yesterday."

Petty saw plenty of action in the preseason, demonstrating big-play ability (three touchdown passes). On the downside, he completed only 57 percent of his passes (32 for 56), threw an interception and took six sacks. He played mostly against third-stringers.Let's not forget, he was considered a "bubble" player going into the final preseason game, where he played well before injuring his throwing shoulder -- a setback that caused him to miss five weeks of practice and stunted his development.

Bowles said Petty has improved from his rookie year, but it's apparent he doesn't think Petty is ready for the No. 1 gig. If he felt Petty could rally the team, don't you think he'd be in there? Bill Parcells used to say coaches are selfish; they want to win, so they play the best guys.Eventually, it won't be about winning for Bowles. Tt'll be about 2017, and he'll turn to Petty.

In the meantime, stay thirsty, my friends.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64715/time-for-jets-to-start-bryce-petty-at-quarterback-stay-thirsty-friends

-- Ignoring a public outcry to make a quarterback switch, New York Jets coach Todd Bowles has remained steadfastly committed to the embattled Ryan Fitzpatrick.

On Thursday, Bowles bristled when asked repeated questions about why he won't give Bryce Petty a chance to start.

"For me to make a quarterback change, I'd have to have a quarterback controversy," said Bowles, clearly tired of answering the question.

With his jaw clenched, Bowles added, "Ryan is the starter, Bryce is the backup."In other words, there's no controversy in his mind.

The Jets (3-6) are out of contention, and Fitzpatrick leads the NFL with 13 interceptions. Playing on a one-year contract, Fitzpatrick is considered a lame duck, so it seemingly makes sense to evaluate Petty, a fourth-round pick in 2015.

Much to the chagrin of the fan base, Bowles has maintained that Fitzpatrick still gives them the best chance to win.

"Because Fitzpatrick is not the only one playing over there," said Bowles, explaining why he's sticking with him. "This is a team game. We lose games with more than just Fitzpatrick. ... So, when you look at the film and you see mistakes made, it's across the board. It's not just Fitz."If I felt there were enough mistakes where I could put somebody else in there right now, I would put them in there."

Bowles benched Fitzpatrick last month, but it was short-lived as Geno Smithsuffered a season-ending knee injury. He underwent surgery this week to repair a torn ACL.Fitzpatrick's status this week is somewhat uncertain because of a mild knee sprain, suffered last Sunday. He has practiced the last two days, albeit on a limited basis. He said he's "definitely optimistic" about his chances of starting Sunday against the Los Angeles Rams (3-5).

Bowles said Fitzpatrick is "getting better," but he stopped short of declaring him fit to start.

>       http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18017374/todd-bowles-new-york-jets-not-heed-outcry-start-bryce-petty-quarterback

It has been a whirlwind four months for Jets backup quarterback Bryce Petty. 

In August, he was a guy on the roster bubble. Who knew how many quarterbacks the Jets would keep? But Petty seemed like the odd man out if they went with three.When Geno Smith tore his ACL two weeks ago, the Jets promoted Petty from third-string to second. Last week, he saw the first game action of his career when starter Ryan Fitzpatrick missed a series with a knee injury. And now, he's a player many are clamoring for to take over as the starter. 

Again, whirlwind. 

NJ Advance Media caught up with Petty this week to talk about what it was like playing in his first NFL game, what he thinks of his future with the Jets, and if he's ready if his number is called : 

You got the first game action of your career last week. What was it like? Take me through your emotions.

PETTY: It was kind of interesting because in Cleveland the week before, I had to almost go in there. It was kind of precursor to what it would feel like having to come off the bench. It was kind of like anything else. In practice, we rotate series, so it was just like that.

Preparation wise, I've been putting myself into that starting role. That hasn't changed since I've been here. That's what you have to pull from when you get into those positions or scenarios when you come off the bench. I was really excited for it. 

You took the field against the Browns, then got yanked before you played a play. Were you waiting for the same last week against Miami?

PETTY: (laughs) Fitzpatrick is a tough dude. I knew when he took a knee out there, something wasn't right. I felt like, alright, here we go. I would have been upset with him if he didn't come back in. That's the type of guy he is. The type of guy I am as well. I know he wants to play. He was fortunate enough to feel good and come back in. 

With Geno Smith out, you're now the backup and getting some first-team reps. Do you feel back at home when you're out there with the starters?

PETTY: Shoot, it's like anything else. You just need to build off of things. In the preseason, we felt good about going out there and building off of all the stuff I learned the year before. It's just about making strides. It's a day-by-day process. I feel good every time I'm in there. 

What exactly is your practice rotation? Take me through a day as a backup quarterback. 

PETTY: You don't get many reps (laughs). Somedays I may get two. It depends on how Fitz is feeling and what he wants. He wants to be in there, so you almost have to tell him to get out. Then, when it's your turn, you get very limited reps. You need to be able to picture yourself in there every time even when you're not playing. 

You went from a guy some thought was on the roster bubble, to a player a play away from starting, to a guy now fans are calling for. All in four months. What has this ride been like?

PETTY: I don't know what to think, or rather, I didn't know what to think. Every time, especially in my athletic career, whatever I've thought should have happened, or how I wanted it, has never been how it has happened, but it has always been better. From recruiting process, to getting to Baylor, to having to wait three years when I thought I was ready in two, fourth round draft pick ... there's a whole boatload of stuff that when I wanted it to go a certain way, it doesn't. But then it ends up being so much better. 

I hold on to that. I always try to see the bigger picture. It makes this time right now so much sweeter knowing I almost wasn't on here. You don't take things for granted. I love being in this locker room. I love this team. I'm glad they kept me. 

If you get a chance to play this weekend, are you ready to step in and lead the offense?

Petty: Yeah. That's the whole mindset of this entire year. Whatever the Jets need. Whatever the team needs is what I'm going to do. I'm going to be prepared and ready for whatever the team needs. Whatever I'm focused on is what I can control, and the rest will take care of itself. 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/4_downs_bryce_petty.html#incart_river_index

-- To make Bryce Petty comfortable in his first NFL start, the New York Jets tweaked a couple of things on offense.

They wanted to keep him in shotgun as much as possible, similar to what he did in college. That tactic, according to coach Todd Bowles, resulted in the surprisingly low number of play-action passes -- only two attempts, according to ESPN Stats & Information.Petty, for one, believes the perception that he can't play from under center is off base. Obviously, it stems from his days at Baylor, where he played almost exclusively in the shotgun. That was one of the knocks on him before the 2015 draft, but he contends he worked hard to expand his game during draft preparation with trips to California to see his personal coach.

"That was a big point for the media, for people that, I guess, want to write books," Petty said Tuesday. "As a quarterback, everything that I did draft-camp-wise, and any time ... spring break, I would go out and see George Whitfield and every time I was out there I'd be under

. That was never a big issue for me."

In Sunday's 9-6 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Petty was in shotgun on 47 of 58 plays (81 percent), according to ESPN Stats & Info. In the first nine games, with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback for nearly the entire time, the Jets used shotgun on 363 of 568 snaps (64 percent). All told, they rank sixth in shotgun usage.Inexperienced quarterbacks find it easier to play in the shotgun because they don't have to turn their backs to the defense; it allows them to get a quick mental picture of the opponent's look. You can run play-action out of shotgun, although it's probably more effective from under center, especially if the quarterback has excellent ballhandling skills. Former Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason was one of the best at that.

The Jets operated a conservative game plan Sunday, as Petty completed only one pass that traveled more than eight yards in the air -- his 52-yard completion to Robby Anderson. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey was criticized for his playcalling, but I'll give him a pass on this one.

Consider the factors in play : First-time starter. Two new starters on the offensive line. An aggressive, pressure-oriented defensive scheme. Bowles said it "would've been open hunting season" if they had called plays that forced Petty to hold the ball in the pocket. He's probably right. They could loosen things up a bit if Petty is named to start Nov. 27 against the New England Patriots.Petty has a gunslinger mentality. The 25-year-old admitted he was too cautious at times against the Rams, adding that he doesn't want to live in that world.

"It’s not about being just a game manager," he said. "You want to win. I don’t like flirting with that line, I want to win. I like slinging the ball around. [There are] definitely things to learn from."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64938/jets-bryce-petty-doesnt-want-to-be-stereotyped-as-shotgun-quarterback

Time will tell if the Jets (and other quarterback-needy teams) made the right choice by passing on Dak Prescott in this year's draft.But so far, Prescott is thriving with the 9-1 Cowboys. He ranks third in the NFL in quarterback rating (108.6) and has 17 touchdowns, with just two interceptions.

Prescott was selected in Round 4, behind the following quarterbacks: Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Jacoby Brissett, Cody Kessler, and Connor Cook.The Jets, of course, took Hackenberg in Round 2, after Goff, Wentz, and Lynch were picked in Round 1. Hackenberg remains a raw project player, and it's not clear when he'll be ready to play in a regular season game. 

Hackenberg is currently behind Ryan Fitzpatrick (who is somehow still the Jets' starter) and Bryce Petty on the depth chart. 

"Some people, it takes longer," Jets coach Todd Bowles said of Hackenberg standing on the sideline while Prescott plays. 

Remember, Prescott only got his chance because Tony Romo was injured. Hackenberg, who looked nowhere close to game-ready in the preseason, wasn't afforded the same opportunity. The Jets, right now, are doing with Hackenberg what they ideally would have done with second-round pick Geno Smith in 2013. But because of Mark Sanchez's preseason shoulder injury, Smith was forced into playing as a rookie when he wasn't ready. And, well, you know the rest. 

"If we had to get him ready, he'd be ready," Bowles said of Hackenberg playing. 

Translation: He's not even close to ready. 

The issue, Bowles said, is that between Fitzpatrick, Smith, and Petty this season, Hackenberg has received precious few practice reps outside of scout team action. 

"To put [Hackenberg] in the ball game without properly getting him ready would be a disservice to the kid," Bowles said. 

Which is why you almost certainly won't see Hackenberg play this season. And that's exactly what everybody expected, before the season, would happen — before Prescott got his chance and thrived and raised these comparison questions."Look at Aaron Rodgers," Bowles said of the Packers' quarterback. "He didn't play his first couple of years in the league. There are a bunch of quarterbacks that come in and play, and there are a bunch of quarterbacks that come in and don't. Some pan out. Some don't. That's just the luck of the draw of the draft." 

Of course, Rodgers was behind a legend, Brett Favre, at that time. Hackenberg is behind Fitzpatrick (currently the NFL's worst quarterback) and Petty (an unproven second-year pro).But from everything we've heard Bowles say about Hackenberg this season — and from what we saw of Hackenberg in the preseason — it's clear the kid simply is not ready right now. Which is fine, at least for his developmental rookie season. 

The Jets don't want to damage Hackenberg by forcing him into action too early. They've seen what happens when you do that.This offseason will be critical for Hackenberg. He and Petty are the Jets' only current quarterbacks guaranteed to be under contract in 2017.

Hackenberg will need to demonstrate significant progress — perhaps while overhauling his mechanics — to prove, in 2017 and 2018, that the Jets didn't make a mistake by drafting him so high.If Hackenberg doesn't begin to advance by next season or the following year (at the latest), those cries about the Jets passing on Prescott — when they had one pick in Round 3 and one in Round 4, ahead of the Cowboys — will grow louder. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_todd_bowles_says_dak_prescott_christian_hacke.html

Jets rave about Ryan Fitzpatrick's 'great' game vs. Patriots. But isn't it Bryce Petty time ?

-- The Jets on Sunday lost their third straight game, falling to 3-8 with a 22-17 defeat against the Patriots. 

Yes, Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick mostly played well on Sunday. But is it time (finally) for the Jets to start Bryce Petty, next Monday night against the Colts? 

It remains unclear what Jets coach Todd Bowles will do.

What's obvious is that the Jets need to get an evaluation of Petty, a second-year pro, for the future. The logical move, at this point, is to start him.But if Bowles wants to stubbornly (and foolishly) press forward with the "best chance to win now" approach for his starting quarterback, Fitzpatrick is a better option than Petty. That much was apparent Sunday. 

Fitzpatrick against the Patriots completed 22 of 32 passes for 269 yards, two touchdowns, and a 115.2 quarterback rating.Fitzpatrick entered Sunday with the NFL's worst quarterback rating this season (67.6). His 115.2 against the Patriots tied for his second-best of the year. And it tied for the 12th-best rating of his entire career. 

"He played out of his mind, man," wide receiver Quincy Enunwa said. "I'm happy for him." 

Said receiver Brandon Marshall: "I thought he was awesome. I thought he did a great job. I thought he was efficient. He did a really good job." Marshall dodged a question about whether the Jets should now start Petty, since the best they can finish is 8-8."It's a part of the business," Marshall said of fans calling for Petty. "When you're losing, jobs are on the line. People start pointing the fingers. The noise outside, obviously there's some validity behind it. Our fan base is really passionate." 

For all of Fitzpatrick's impressive, accurate passes on Sunday -- and he had several pretty ones -- the Jets are in a prime situation to start Petty.

With five games left in this miserable 3-8 season, the Jets have their two easiest remaining games the next two weeks -- home against the Colts and at the 49ers.This would be an ideal time to give Petty a chance, even though Fitzpatrick looked good against the Patriots. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_rave_about_ryan_fitzpatricks_great_game_vs_pa.html#incart_river_index

The Jets are not making a change at quarterback.

Coach Todd Bowles announced today that Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the starting quarterback for the Jets’ game against the Colts next Monday night.There was no guarantee that would be the case: After Sunday’s loss to the Patriots, Bowles said he hadn’t decided who would start the Colts game.

Fitzpatrick played fairly well against the Patriots, so on the one hand, benching him now would be an odd decision. On the other hand, the Jets are 3-8 and have no hope of making the playoffs. Why not see what Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenbergcan do ?

Perhaps at some point in the last few weeks of this season, the Jets will still give a youngster a chance. But for now, they’re sticking with the quarterback they’ve stuck with for the last two years.

>  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/28/ryan-fitzpatrick-remains-the-jets-starting-quarterback/

Jets coach Todd Bowles announced Monday that quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick -- not Bryce Petty -- will start next Monday night's game against the Colts. 

The Jets are 3-8, so this is a lost season. Getting an evaluation of Petty, a second-year pro, makes sense for the bigger picture, even though Fitzpatrick currently gives the Jets the best chance to win -- for what that is worth at this point.

On Sunday, the Jets dropped their third straight game, 22-17 at home to the Patriots. Fitzpatrick played well, completing 22 of 32 passes for 269 yards, two touchdowns, and a 115.2 quarterback rating. 

Starting Fitzpatrick again versus the Colts was a no-brainer in Bowles' mind. Or at least that's how Bowles explained the decision Monday. 

"He's our starter," Bowles said. "No different than anybody else on both sides of the ball right now. There was no decision. I knew all along. There was no debate."But what's the point of continuing to chase wins -- now that the Jets almost certainly won't make the playoffs -- at the expense of getting Petty valuable reps?

"We're all fighters," Bowles said. "We're all trying to win every game, whether we're trying to get to 8-8 or whether we're trying to be 16-0. Right now, Fitz is our starter. He gives us a good chance to win."Bowles insisted he can still evaluate Petty and rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg without playing them in games."We get looks at them every day [in practice]," Bowles said. "As a coach, you weigh trying to win ball games first, and there's a time and a place that those guys will get a chance to play. It just won't be next week. 

"There's a curiosity to all the young guys that are backing up right now. But that doesn't mean I'm going to start them all right now. There are a lot of guys backing up right now that probably want to be in games that are not ready to play yet."I have a timetable in my head for certain [young] guys that I want to see at different positions. When that time comes, I'll make those decisions." 

Bowles said that at all positions (not just quarterback), he isn't currently taking next season into account when making his coaching/playing time decisions. 

"Not at this point," he said. "We're just trying to win ball games and get everybody better." 

Bowles did not rule out the possibility that Petty could eventually start again this season, even if Fitzpatrick continues to play as well as he did Sunday. But with five games remaining, time is running out for Petty to get more game action. Fitzpatrick entered Sunday with the NFL's worst quarterback rating (67.6). On a whole, this has been a terrible year for him. But he did make some nice throws in Sunday's loss to New England. 

The Jets' next two matchups -- home against the Colts and at the 49ers -- are their two easiest remaining games. They also face the Dolphins, Bills, and Patriots. The Jets get Miami and Buffalo at home in this final stretch. It seems like this would be an ideal juncture, with the Colts and 49ers next, for the Jets to give Petty an audition. But Bowles is stubbornly sticking with Fitzpatrick. 

Fitzpatrick began the season as the Jets' starter, but was benched after a disastrous 1-5 start during which he threw five touchdowns and 11 interceptions, and had a 63.4 rating. But he got his job back after one week, because Geno Smith tore his ACL against the Ravens.(Though Petty and Hackenberg are under contract with the Jets for next season, Fitzpatrick and Smith -- pending free agents both -- surely won't be back. Which is why the Jets need to get some answers at this critical position.) 

Fitzpatrick started the next two games, but sprained his knee in Miami, which resulted in Petty getting his first career start, against the Rams on Nov. 13.

Coming out of the bye week, Bowles started Fitzpatrick against the Patriots. Bowles said he did it because Fitzpatrick was healthy and gave the Jets the best chance to win that game. Yet they lost again.Bowles was initially noncommittal after the Patriots-Jets game when asked about his starting quarterback plan against the Colts. 

Petty has played in just two NFL regular season games, both this year. He has attempted 34 total passes. So the Jets ideally need to see more from him, in game action, before they determine where he fits in with their future plans. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_will_start_ryan_fitzpatrickbryce_petty_vs_col.html#incart_river_index

-- At some point, Todd Bowles will stop pretending the 2016 season still matters and will start auditioning young players for 2017. We think.

"I have a timetable in my head for certain guys that I want to see at different positions," the New York Jets coach said Monday. "When that time comes, I’ll make those decisions."

But here's the thing : Football isn't like baseball, which has September call-ups. In football, you can't promote the entire practice squad and say, "Go play on Sunday." Teams in the Jets' position usually are playing young players anyway, so there really aren't many options.

That said, here's our top-5 list of players we'd like to see on the field during the meaningless stretch run : 

1. Bryce Petty, QB : If you're wondering why he's at the top of the list, you haven't been paying attention for the last few weeks. He got a taste of it against the Los Angeles Rams, but it's hard to evaluate a young quarterback based on an isolated start. You need to see him a few weeks in a row to judge how he fares against different defenses, how he handles himself on the road, how he responds to adversity and how he copes with the physical toll of the position.

2. Christian Hackenberg, QB : There won't be enough time for two auditions at the position, but it would be nice to see him on the field for a cameo. Frankly, I don't think the organization wants to run him out here until he's had an entire offseason to work on his mechanics and get comfortable with the cerebral part of the game. He is the definition of a project.

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65209/five-young-jets-you-should-be-dying-to-see-over-final-few-weeks

Here is a depressing statistic for all of you Jets fans that underscores how miserable this team’s quarterback history has been: Ryan Fitzpatrick moved past Geno Smith into eighth place in team history with 6,157 passing yards as a Jet.

Let that soak in for a minute : Fitzpatrick and Smith are two of the 10 best quarterbacks statistically this franchise has had.

Which brings us to this offseason. The Jets are faced with another huge decision to make at quarterback, which has been a pretty steady storyline for this team since Joe Namath left town after 1976.This 2017 quarterback decision for general manager Mike Maccagnan sets up like one of those old “Choose Your Own Adventure” kids books. Remember those? Where you were a character and after a few pages, you were given a few options and jumped to Page 43 with one option or Page 52 with another.

Maccagnan’s decision about what to do at quarterback next year can be summarized by a series of questions and his answers to them.This is where your adventure begins. There is about a 1 percent chance Fitzpatrick is back next year, so cross him off the list. Geno Smith is likely gone, too, but I could see a scenario where the Jets decide Smith is worth keeping around if they do not like the other options out there. I’m not sure Smith would want to stay here, but his options will be limited after knee surgery.

Even with Smith a small possibility, this is really about the kids. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg are unknowns at this point. That is why the fanbase is clamoring to see at least one of them. Coach Todd Bowles has been reluctant to pull the plug on 2016 and turn to Petty, but that is coming. Figure Petty gets at least four total games this season (including one he already played). That will give the Jets a good idea of what they have in him. Hackenberg is unlikely to be viewed as a starter in 2017. The 2016 second-round pick is a project and the Jets know it.

So, if Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

This really is about Tony Romo. The Cowboys have found their future with Dak Prescott (taken 84 picks after Hackenberg, but that is a story for another day). Now, will they trade Romo in the offseason? The price figures to be a mid-round pick to get Romo, which the Jets should give up if they think he is the answer.

If you decide to go with Romo, that means you are going for it in 2017. That also means adding other free agents and trying to patch up the holes in this roster rather than going young and delaying the inevitable rebuild this team needs to undergo.Outside of Romo, Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick would fit this mold and should be available. I don’t think Cutler would do well in New York. Kaepernick carries a ton of off-the-field baggage with him now that he is an active protester. He also has struggled over the last few years, although he has played better in recent weeks.

If Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Do you sign a ‘bridge’ quarterback?

If the decision is the Jets are going to rebuild with younger guys, but Petty and Hackenberg are not quite ready, this is the way to go.Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Mike Glennon all should be available this offseason. Adding one of them could give you a professional starter while you bring Petty and/or Hackenberg along.

If Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Do you draft another quarterback?

The Jets have drafted more quarterbacks than any other team since 2006. Do they go down that road again? This quarterback draft class is considered a weak one, but if you subscribe to the theory that you keep taking them until you find one, then the answer is yes.You have reached the end of your adventure, Mike Maccagnan. If you chose wisely, this won’t be a conversation again in 2018. But chances are we’ll be doing this again next year.

>     http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/romo-petty-breaking-down-divergent-qb-paths-awaiting-jets/

Archived