Worse contract Wilk or Revis?

drdetroit

I thought about Revis' contract the other day.  it is brilliantly constructed.

The Jets paid Cromartie $8 million last year to be a number 2 corner.  The Jets save $7.333mm in 2017, if they cut Revis, but incurr $8mm of dead money.

So Revis can be a good no 2 corner, does it pay to cut him when to replace him could cost almost what it costs extra to keep him?

let's imagine the Jets didn't pay Wilk. Or Revis

who would they have spent that money on instead? 

why would any top FA come to this franchise? between the high taxes in NY and the terrible snake bit program it's not exactly a great destination for free agents. 

Cap space never made a play or won a game. It's unspent money. 

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets paid Cromartie $8 million last year to be a number 2 corner.  The Jets save $7.333mm in 2017, if they cut Revis, but incurr $8mm of dead money.

So Revis can be a good no 2 corner, does it pay to cut him when to replace him could cost almost what it costs extra to keep him?

That is the opposite of brilliantly constructed..

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

why would any top FA come to this franchise? between the high taxes in NY and the terrible snake bit program it's not exactly a great destination for free agents. 

it's not like there were good qbs out there they avoided.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Sorry-brilliantly constructed...by Revis' Team.

Revis had Woody over a barrel.  Very bad deal for the Jets.

Ahh, that makes more sense :) 

I think Revis contract is worse. The guy got his ring and was obviously just looking to get paid. 

39 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I think Wilk

We already had Leonard Williams and Sheldon why give him a $100 million deal?

You can go back & look at my posts regarding this situation. Wilkerson just like the Jets did last year feasted on bad teams, rarely made a splash play & NEVER came up with a game saving sack/strip. Most of his sacks were vs bad QBs that held on to the ball because they suck. 4 games & you barely hear his name? Chandler Jones has has more splash plays than Wilkerson, is a better pure pass rusher & Belichick traded him for a 2nd round pick instead of signing him to a monster contract.

Thats the difference between franchises with a future vision & the NY Jets being held hostage by any player that shows an inkling of being above average. The Jets would have been better off signing a middling FA DT, trading Sheldon Richardson for draft picks if possible & continue to rebuild the offensive line with picks ala the Cowboys. 

Until this organization starts making some BOLD moves instead of constantly fixing their ills with band aids & overpaying their semi star players like Mo Wilkerson, nothing will change around here. People would have KILLED Mac had he let him walk & do you know why? Because we would have started the season 1-4 and EVERY Jet fan would have pinned the defensive decline to the loss of Mo & you KNOW IT! But, with him & his huge stupid contract we're 1-4, Big Ben could have made a sandwich back there but our 76 million dollar DT didn't even get a whiff of him playing against a 3rd string OG!

Don't rule out Revis at Safety.  I believe he wil make $15M with $6M guaranteed in 2017.

What team in the NFL would pay a friggn' Safety $15MM with $6MM guaranteed?

His bloated contract is for him to be a shutdown CB, which he hasn't been in several years, and won't be anytime soon.

Wilk has been a solid player for 5 years and is still young.

He needs to play DE in a 3-4 system.  He is a formidable match for a Guards and the B gap.  

The Jets played more 3-4 last year and even played Richardson more outside.  That was not a good idea, but it also allowed Mauldin to rush the passer.

If the Jets are going to play more 4-3, they should at least try Mauldin and Catapano outside the rush the passer.

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is a really good question...I get that you have to spend the money somewhere, but that's the job of the GM.  That's why we ask these questions.  

If the GM couldn't come up with a better way to spend the money - then we're saying the current team the Jets are fielding is the best team he possibly could have.  

I have a hard time believing that.  

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You can go back & look at my posts regarding this situation. Wilkerson just like the Jets did last year feasted on bad teams, rarely made a splash play & NEVER came up with a game saving sack/strip. Most of his sacks were vs bad QBs that held on to the ball because they suck. 4 games & you barely hear his name? Chandler Jones has has more splash plays than Wilkerson, is a better pure pass rusher & Belichick traded him for a 2nd round pick instead of signing him to a monster contract.

Thats the difference between franchises with a future vision & the NY Jets being held hostage by any player that shows an inkling of being above average. The Jets would have been better off signing a middling FA DT, trading Sheldon Richardson for draft picks if possible & continue to rebuild the offensive line with picks ala the Cowboys. 

Until this organization starts making some BOLD moves instead of constantly fixing their ills with band aids & overpaying their semi star players like Mo Wilkerson, nothing will change around here. People would have KILLED Mac had he let him walk & do you know why? Because we would have started the season 1-4 and EVERY Jet fan would have pinned the defensive decline to the loss of Mo & you KNOW IT! But, with him & his huge stupid contract we're 1-4, Big Ben could have made a sandwich back there but our 76 million dollar DT didn't even get a whiff of him playing against a 3rd string OG!

This is the biggest problem with this team..management is so frightened of the fan base (and ownership is so focused on PR) that making the tough choices, even if they're the right ones, will cost GM's their jobs.

As long as Woody is the owner I honestly don't know how this problem gets solved.  We kill rookie QB's and call them busts (so they don't get a chance to learn) we fire GM that are trying to truly rebuild, we want to fire coaches 5 weeks into a season (after a 10 win rookie season)

Yet we bring back crappy QB's for $12mm because the media likes him...and re-sign an aging superstar for $16mm because we let him go two years prior.

The problems starts and ends with ownership.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is the biggest problem with this team..management is so frightened of the fan base (and ownership is so focused on PR) that making the tough choices, even if they're the right ones, will cost GM's their jobs.

As long as Woody is the owner I honestly don't know how this problem gets solved.  We kill rookie QB's and call them busts (so they don't get a chance to learn) we fire GM that are trying to truly rebuild, we want to fire coaches 5 weeks into a season (after a 10 win rookie season)

Yet we bring back crappy QB's for $12mm because the media likes him...and re-sign an aging superstar for $16mm because we let him go two years prior.

I could not agree with you more.

The Jets are a team and organization with a split personality.  They have a world class facility, equipment and support people.  They project that they want to win.

But the organization has a "huckster" approach to it, whereby the commercial aspect overrides the football quality.  While watching the "game" yesterday they continued to run those commercials trying to tell tickets featuring the home Patriots game last year.  When the team is playing this poorly, they have no business spending the money running those commercials.

Woody needs to get on the podium and tell the press and fans that he wants to build a long-term winner.  Thus, he is not going to take any short-cuts.  The Jets may stink for awhile, but they will have a plan.  Macc needs a lot more time with support to show that he can do that-he basically perhaps made 1 year of progress in two years because of diversions like Revis, Fitz and Harris.

But for me, the biggest challenge this year is figuring out if Bowles and Company can learn to coach.  They should really be thinking about pulling the plug on Rodgers early, and replacing Gailey for next year.

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe the fans and media should be smarter.......

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

Woody needs to get on the podium and tell the press and fans that he wants to build a long-term winner.  Thus, he is not going to take any short-cuts.  The Jets may stink for awhile, but they will have a plan.  

can anyone give an example of an NFL team that purposefully tanked and then became a long term winner? I can't think of a single example. The Colts maybe got lucky that one Year between Peyton and Luck. But overall the teams that are Long term winners tend to be winners in the short term too. This isn't the NBA there's no Lebron coming to save the franchise. This idea that the Jets can start scrubs, lose every game, fire the coach and be better 5 years from now, what is that about? Has that ever happened before? 

the average career length in this league is 3 years there's no such thing in the NFL as rebuilding long term just 1 year reloading, every offseason. 

Just now, bitonti said:

can anyone give an example of an NFL team that purposefully tanked and then became a long term winner? I can't think of a single example. The Colts maybe got lucky that one Year between Peyton and Luck. But overall the teams that are Long term winners tend to be winners in the short term too. This isn't the NBA there's no Lebron coming to save the franchise. This idea that the Jets can start scrubs, lose every game, fire the coach and be better next year, what is that about? Has that ever happened before? 

The Sixers have tried it

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Sixers have tried it

dude I live in Philly trust me it's not a great plan. The guy they just tanked the whole last year for, Ben Simmons, is hurt before the season started. The other two guys, Nerlens and Embiid, both missed their first year. Embiid missed two years. They've been tanking for years and they have nothing to show for it. Put it another way the Knicks are still far better than the Sixers.

And that's a league where there's 5 starters and 12 roster spots. in a league where there's 22 starters (plus specials) and 53 man rosters, tanking the season for one guy isn't going to work.  All that is left is a culture of losing. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Maybe the fans and media should be smarter.......

There is little doubt we have the dumbest beat writers in all of professional sports and an overly reactionary, beat-up, fan base...Ownership needs to be better.  If Woody continues to run the franchise the way he has been it'll be very hard to build a winner.  Even if we hit on a QB we would have a hard time developing him here.  There just wouldn't be enough support to give him the time needed.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

There is little doubt we have the dumbest beat writers in all of professional sports and an overly reactionary, beat-up, fan base...Ownership needs to be better.  If Woody continues to run the franchise the way he has been it'll be very hard to build a winner.  Even if we hit on a QB we would have a hard time developing him here.  There just wouldn't be enough support to give him the time needed.

You cant fire the owner, so its up to the fans and media. I guarantee if the Jets moved, they would be better

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

can anyone give an example of an NFL team that purposefully tanked and then became a long term winner? I can't think of a single example. The Colts maybe got lucky that one Year between Peyton and Luck. But overall the teams that are Long term winners tend to be winners in the short term too. This isn't the NBA there's no Lebron coming to save the franchise. This idea that the Jets can start scrubs, lose every game, fire the coach and be better 5 years from now, what is that about? Has that ever happened before? 

the average career length in this league is 3 years there's no such thing in the NFL as rebuilding long term just 1 year reloading, every offseason. 

I don't think anyone is saying you should actually purposely lose...But you go with a youth movement, you play younger players, you let them get experience, you find out who's good and who isn't...

With that you will actually lose more games - as those people aren't ready yet but you're also more aggressively building for the future.  You're finding the diamonds in the rough.  Trial by fire...Get guys out there and see what they have...

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't think you tank the season, and you should deliberately play bad players.  I think that gets you a call from the NFL after they get calls from the Networks.

But you don't pay over 30 CBs $70mm because you think it will excite the fan base.  You don't pay a QB who has never beat a .500 team on the road $12mm when you have 3 QBs on the roster who are paid less than that combined and you might be able to sign Brian Hoyer for a 1/3 of that?  You build a long-term winner focusing the the OL, DL pass rush and CB.

Here are a few FA signings that would have worked better for the Jets long-term.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Why do people repeat this? They don't live or work in NY 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Don't rule out Revis at Safety.  I believe he wil make $15M with $6M guaranteed in 2017.

Revis is moving to free safety next season. Rod Woodson did the same thing and it extended his career by 5 yrs

Of course Bowles is an idiot so that may not happen

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

We had to sign Revis because our secondary wasn't even NFL caliber at the time

I think Revis is salvageable as a safety.  God knows we haven't had a FS who could cover anyone since Victor Green

2 hours ago, varjet said:

But we paid him to be our #1, not #2. Having said that, I think he will come around this year. 

Archived