Worse contract Wilk or Revis?

drdetroit

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Revis. If Mo hit the open market he was getting 100 easy

Doesn't mean it was money spent wisely. Revis, on the other hand, was a necessity and he proved his worth last year. Mo wasn't a necessity and we didn't have the cap flexibility we had when we signed Revis.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Don't pro athletes get taxed in all states they play in even for away games?

Yes, so every pro athlete would be subject to the NY tax when playing here, not just the ones with "NY" contracts. And the only time they'd play in NY is  Buffalo. Which has lower taxes than NYC anyway. No team plays in NYC. So it's no disincentive to sign with a "NY" team. And ironically, the only football player I know of with a NYC residence is Tom Brady (in fact he has two right now) 

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

Yes, so every pro athlete would be subject to the NY tax when playing here, not just the ones with "NY" contracts. And the only time they'd play in NY is  Buffalo. Which has lower taxes than NYC anyway. No team plays in NYC. So it's no disincentive to sign with a "NY" team. And ironically, the only football player I know of with a NYC residence is Tom Brady (in fact he has two right now) 

compare it to 8 home games in Florida with no state income tax. Or Charlotte where the lowest rookie special teamer lives like King sh*t in a mansion. NYC appeals to those athletes who want to forward their brand (Decker) or their message (Marshall). But the question still stands what would make someone with options choose the Jets over another franchise? 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

compare it to 8 home games in Florida with no state income tax. Or Charlotte where the lowest rookie special teamer lives like King sh*t in a mansion. NYC appeals to those athletes who want to forward their brand (Decker) or their message (Marshall). But the question still stands what would make someone with options choose the Jets over another franchise? 

Compare it to 8 home games in NJ with zero NY income tax. Whatever is disincentivizing players from signing here- if that's even true - it's not to keep from paying taxes to a locality where they neither work nor live 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Players wanted to come here when Rex was the coach

18 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Compare it to 8 home games in NJ with zero NY income tax. Whatever is disincentivizing players from signing here- if that's even true - it's not to keep from paying taxes to a locality where they neither work nor live 

New Jersey has a maximum rate of 8.97% while New York has a max rate of 8.875% so New Jersey actually has a higher income tax than New York.

8 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

What team in the NFL would pay a friggn' Safety $15MM with $6MM guaranteed?

His bloated contract is for him to be a shutdown CB, which he hasn't been in several years, and won't be anytime soon.

So Happy Tammy is back.. They can rest him until the playoffs.

On 10/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, drdetroit said:

Don't pro athletes get taxed in all states they play in even for away games?

Yes, but their signing bonuses are all paid in the home team's state. In the Jets' case, it's 8.97%. In Washington, Florida, & Texas, it's 0%; Pennsylvania 3%, etc. Probably explains away some of the $0 signing bonus but high guarantees or salaries for guys like Revis, Cromartie, Harris. Skrine initially got $13M guaranteed but only $3M of it was signing bonus. So much for the idea that it was GM genius work to leave little prorated bonus money, making it easier to cut them. More likely the players' agents requested a lower signing bonus and higher guarantees because the player pockets more that way.

Mo got a $15M signing bonus but that isn't that much considering it's a 5 year $86M contract that doesn't have a bunch of phony fluff dollars/years to make it seem like more than it is. He did get another $4.5M this year as roster bonus (taxed the same as signing bonus), but then his whole situation was different, as he had a choice of signing a new contract with the Jets or with nobody, since no one was willing to fork over a 1st round pick for his rights.

But compare Mo's deal to the same total-value contract Seattle gave Russell Wilson ($87.6M). $31M signing bonus taxed at 0% at the state level. Doug Baldwin's compensation is some $15M in bonus money on a $46M extension (1/3 of his extension is bonus money even if he plays out his entire contract). Similar breakdown for Wagner. Kearse got 40% of his 3 year contract as signing bonus. Bennett $10M of his $28.5M contract paid out as bonus money. (Sherman didn't get a huge bonus, but instead he got $40M in guarantees on a $56M extension, so it's a tradeoff for him). It's not everyone on the roster by any stretch, but this many with 1/3 or more of their full contract amounts paid out as bonus money -- that can't just be coincidence in a 0% income tax state.

Same with some other high-guarantee contracts in Texas. Romo $25M SB plus another (likely pre-planned) $12.5M converted from salary to SB 11 months later, and again another $16M a year after that. So that's roughly half of his $108M contract paid out as bonus money so it carries 0% state income tax. On the Jets he'd have paid $5M of his now-pocketed cash to NJ state taxes on just the bonus money alone (not even counting the base salaries). Sean Lee $42M extension contained little guaranteed, but some $12M of his $16M in guarantees is in bonus money rather than guaranteed salary. All but $1M of Witten's contract guarantees were in signing bonus. Dez $20M of his $32 fully guaranteed $ paid out as signing bonus. Carr has received $24M in bonus money on his $50M contract (when a huge restructure occurs just 1 year in, good chance it was an advance-planned restructure). Tyron Smith restructured early, but surely saw the numbers and knew what would happen: extension in 2014, followed by back to back years of restructuring to convert $10M/year of salary to bonuses. So far he's been paid $30M in bonus and $3M in salary since signing his extension, with a good chance he gets another restructure offer again soon.

Not saying this is always the case, but I'll bet it factors in for those players that know better (I don't think the agents really care as this shouldn't affect them directly).

Carpenter was initially signed to a contract with $3.5M in bonus money. He did restructure after that, and converted almost another $4M salary to signing bonus, but like Skrine's restructuring that was after he was already here & uncertainty with Mo and Fitz - which couldn't/shouldn't have been predicted when they first signed here - were big factors in those restructure deals. Also makes the likelihood of getting cut in year 3 go down tremendously, even in case he had a down year 2. For both of them. So in doing so 1 year in, for both it was like insurance. Look how badly Skrine is playing this year, and look how much leverage he has on paper for next year ($5M in dead cap money). Absent that, his roster spot could be in serious jeopardy. Now? I give it less than 50/50 they cut him even if his performance gets no better.

5 hours ago, Xtina said:

NY & NJ have the same marginal tax rates, no? There is no "NY" it's just we're called that. If they live in NY I think there's a reciprocity agreement between the two states anyhow. There is no getting off with 0% state income tax because one might live in NY while getting paychecks in NJ; don't know where you got that idea. I'm pretty sure the employer would withhold NJ taxes, at the NJ marginal rate for these guys, and the players would use that as a tax credit against their NY taxes when it comes time to file. Ask one of our resident JN accountants though, as I could be wrong, but I think I'm right. 

Only thing I'm not sure on is for away games if the week paycheck is prorated with no refunds at the end of the year. For example, if a player makes $8M in salary, $4M is paid during away games ($500K per game). California has a gargantuan rate for someone making that much. But I don't know if he's taxed at their super-marginal rate of $13.3% for income over $1M. Well, 7/8 of that total annual income is over $1M, but he only earned (and was only paid) $500K in California. So I don't know for sure, but I don't think he pays the $13.3% rate for that one away game (even if it might be withheld at that rate on his paycheck, I think he'd get the difference back as a refund after he files). 

Tax rates absolutely could be an incentive for some, and I'll bet it factors into bonus vs salary breakdowns at the time the original contract is signed. If you know your market rate would command a $20M signing bonus, would you rather get that $20M signing bonus taxed at $13.3% or at 0%? 

17 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

What team in the NFL would pay a friggn' Safety $15MM with $6MM guaranteed?

His bloated contract is for him to be a shutdown CB, which he hasn't been in several years, and won't be anytime soon.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but you are 100% correct. If Jets management has brains and balls, they are cutting Revis after the season. I mean, I would love to keep him if he re-negotiated that deal, but Revis isn't exactly the type of guy that agrees to a pay cut for the good of the team. 

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

The effing Giants just spent more money than almost any other team this offseason and they had a garbage record last season. Players are going to go where the money is. Your hypothetical is great until you realize that the Florida and Charlotte franchise may note have the cap space to sign the hypothetical player. 

• 3 weeks later...

He brought it upon himself and it seems that despite stating he ignores the critics, Revis hears what people be sayin'

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets CB Darrelle Revis, who gets paid like a quarterback ($17M this year), said he gets scrutinized like a quarterback. "I brought it in myself by playing the game and the position at a high level for so long," he said. "It's almost like you're getting criticized like you're a QB and I'm a DB. That's how it goes. ... If a pass is getting caught (on me), it's just like a quarterback throwing the game-winning touchdown or the game-losing interception."

On 10/10/2016 at 1:03 PM, JetsFanatic said:

Don't rule out Revis at Safety.  I believe he wil make $15M with $6M guaranteed in 2017.

I agree. Gilchrist is non-existant aside from the INT last week. Revis should move to safety next year. However his contract should be renegotiated. He won't get paid as much by any other team. He skipped a beat last year and is starting to show his age.

Wilk is playing injured and underperforming but he's young and his best years should be ahead of him. Revis contract is worse and should be reworked in the off season.

The problem with giving Wilk that contract is that he was coming off of a bad injury. And we see it's carried over into this season. When he's played he hasn't played like a big money player and the way he played in the past. That kind of deal you only give to a healthy player. As for Revis I don't think the Jets are going to pay him his full salary next year. He'll have to agree to redo the deal or they will release him and pay him the difference. Which if it happens would mean he got paid 40 mil for 2 seasons. 

13 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Revis is my age... So you're 31 born in 1985?

I was 5 when Kennedy was shot.  SO you were either born in 1958 or 1963 depending on WHICH Dead Kennedy

His is worse.

WTF are you talking about?

:blink:

Revis by far but I can understand why they signed him at the time that they did. I've heard that releasing him at season's end, which is inevitable (unless he takes a massive pay cut and plays safety) won't be too big of a cap hit. Wilk, imo, earned that contract but now he has to live up to it.part of the reason, however, is Todd Bowles' fault. He doesn't really know how to get all those guys playing time. 

Archived