Jets Send Eric Decker to IR with torn rotator cuff (MERGED)

JetNation

Eric Decker JN

By Glenn Naughton

It’s news that the Jets and their fans had hoped to avoid in an already difficult season, but multiple sources are now confirming that Jets wide receiver Eric Decker will be placed on injured reserve as a result of a rotator cuff tear he sustained just a few weeks ago.

Decker’s absence will only make things more difficult for a team whose offense is currently among the worst in the NFL.

Visit our forum to see fan reaction and read more about Eric Decker’s injury.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

PgiBshujpGE

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You can say the Jets are bad this year, but they are also banged up. Got pretty lucky with lack of injuries last year and the opposite this year.

Vikings lost their starting QB, RB and LT and seem to be doing just fine. Then again, they have a coach that actually has a clue and an elite defense.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

You can say the Jets are bad this year, but they are also banged up. Got pretty lucky with lack of injuries last year and the opposite this year.

We've actually had crazy good injury luck for a while. The silver lining is that we're losing Decker in the midst of what's looking to be a trainwreck season anyway.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No excuses.  Next man up, and we supposedly have some real good, young, depth at the WR position.

A chance for the kids to earn the future careers.

NO EXCUSES.  Not for Fitz, not for the Jets Offense.

I agree. I didn't say it was the main reason. They have underperformed, but it is part of the reason

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree. Compared to a lot of other teams around the NFF, the Jets are pretty healthy. They just lost Decker. Ok. Thats a big one. But who else?? J.Marshall?? Petty??

I know Mangold and Harris got banged up vs. the Steelers- not sure what their status is. I know Revis missed a game. But Revis will be back for Mon. night, I think Mangold will as well, not sure about Harris.

In general, the Jets have been pretty good as far as injuries. They have their starting QB, they have their starting RB, their top WR, their O-line is pretty much intact (the WEAKEST player on the O-line got a concussion- and will probably be back for Mon. night, so should Mangold). Their D-line is fully healthy. Their LBs (like I said Harris got banged up) are otherwise fully healthy (their secondary will be fully intact on Mon.)

Just saying, there's teams out there with much worse injury situations this season- including the Pats. And some of them are still winning games.     

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No excuses.  Next man up, and we supposedly have some real good, young, depth at the WR position.

I am still waiting to see Robby Anderson.  He got himself open for potentially 2 long TDs vs. Seattle.  Fitz underthrew one, and overthrew the other.

I think he will have an opportunity to showcase himself when Fitz is benched for one or both of the stronger arms.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

DAMMIT 

Problem with these young burners is we arent playing a QB who can get them the long ball.

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. Compared to a lot of other teams around the NFF, the Jets are pretty healthy. They just lost Decker. Ok. Thats a big one. But who else?? J.Marshall?? Petty??

I know Mangold and Harris got banged up vs. the Steelers- not sure what their status is. I know Revis missed a game. But Revis will be back for Mon. night, I think Mangold will as well, not sure about Harris.

In general, the Jets have been pretty good as far as injuries. They have their starting QB, they have their starting RB, their top WR, their O-line is pretty much intact (the WEAKEST player on the O-line got a concussion- and will probably be back for Mon. night, so should Mangold). Their D-line is fully healthy. Their LBs (like I said Harris got banged up) are otherwise fully healthy (their secondary will be fully intact on Mon.)

Just saying, there's teams out there with much worse injury situations this season- including the Pats. And some of them are still winning games.     

Revis, Decker, Carpenter. Those are 3 BIG players.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree no excuses.  The Jets need to work in more RB and TE (especially S-J) passes, and establish the running game.  This is where Gailey will have to earn his pay or the coming off season will be a good time to look for a new OC on top of everything else.

Decker's absence will hurt, but it should not be insurmountable.

This is a pretty brutal loss imo.  So much of what the Jets do on offense was predicated on the Marshall/Decker tandem overwhelming the secondary with size and route tree mismatches.  It was hard to defend and the reason our O was so good last year.

Now things are very much more predictable for a D and coupled with Fitzs poor play, im worried about overloading Forte and Marshall and their health down the stretch.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am still waiting to see Robby Anderson.  He got himself open for potentially 2 long TDs vs. Seattle.  Fitz underthrew one, and overthrew the other.

I think he will have an opportunity to showcase himself when Fitz is benched for one or both of the stronger arms.

I get the optimism for Anderson, but I am skeptical.  Gailey has to get more out of Sefarian-Jenkins, Forte and Powell, with Enunwa already a presence. 

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

This is a pretty brutal loss imo.  So much of what the Jets do on offense was predicated on the Marshall/Decker tandem overwhelming the secondary with size and route tree mismatches.  It was hard to defend and the reason our O was so good last year.

Now things are very much more predictable for a D and coupled with Fitzs poor play, im worried about overloading Forte and Marshall and their health down the stretch.

It's horrible news for Fitz.  He needs great WRs with large catching radiuses who can overpower DBs for the ball.

Fitz should be following Decker to the bench.

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Revis, Decker, Carpenter. Those are 3 BIG players.

Revis- missed one game, should be ready for Mon. night.

Decker- on IR

Carpenter- healthy as far as I know. Unless he got injured vs the Steelers. Maybe I am missing something. 

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We've actually had crazy good injury luck for a while. The silver lining is that we're losing Decker in the midst of what's looking to be a trainwreck season anyway.

I don't really know how we've gotten away with not having a remotely suitable backup plan at LT and center for years now. We can barely field a starting level right tackle as it is. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Excellent news. Decker's the man but the Jets need the L on Monday. Gets us one step closer to benching Fitzpatrick and fully tanking the season for Kizer.

Kizer is meh right now. Even though I blame their recent loss more on Brian Kelly's horrible game plan. It made 2016 Bowles look like Belichick

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There you go again, making excuses for Fitz :lol:

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Kizer is meh right now. Even though I blame their recent loss more on Brian Kelly's horrible game plan. It made 2016 Bowles look like Belichick

Kizer's played fine this year. Their D has been awful but he's put up decent numbers and looks like he translates well to the pro game(much better than Watson IMO).

I wouldn't put too much stock in the NC State game, it was played in a hurricane and really should have been rescheduled.

Archived