The NY Jets have no identity.

joewilly12

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You hiding one in your coat?

If not, who is this Franchise QB we can acquire?

You don't acquire 1, you develop one and that's where offensive continuity becomes important .  It's also why a pairing of a coach like Morton with a QBs coach like Bates becomes important  .  These 2 men need to identify the prospect that they believe best fit what they want to implement and teach, and begin to work on their plan .  If this becomes a thing, and Morton becomes a hot candidate, then Bates move up and the scheme continues . Bates is not like the last QB coach the Jets had, in that he has experience as an OC . 

I see a plan, even if it's only in my head .

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tinstar said:

You don't acquire 1, you develop one and that's where offensive continuity becomes important .  It's also why a pairing of a coach like Morton with a QBs coach like Bates becomes important  .  These 2 men need to identify the prospect that they believe best fit what they want to implement and teach, and begin to work on their plan .  If this becomes a thing, and Morton becomes a hot candidate, then Bates move up and the scheme continues . Bates is not like the last QB coach the Jets had, in that he has experience as an OC . 

I see a plan, even if it's only in my head .

Every name you list there will be unemployed this time next year.

Just say'in.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Since we're doing the comparing game, something I would not rather do, Fournette is compared to AP who has given the Vikes an identity and no title . Some are comparing Cook to Marshal Faulk who was the cog behind the Greatest Show On Turf  on they way to a championship . Me Personally, I want my team to be led by the QB. If that happens, that player can galvanize the offense and defense because of his play on the field, it has the ability to bring a whole team together .

The Steelers are led by Big Ben

The Pats by he whose name I will not utter .

The Pack By Rodgers

The Raiders by Carr

The Giants By Eli

The Jets need a Franchise QB, not a franchise RB or S or any other player.

Hmm, last time I checked, Carr is title-less. Eli Manning as "Franchise QB"? He hasn't been in serious contention for several years. Rothlessraper put up something like 20 points in two games in last year's playoffs.

The Pats have Tom Brady. The Packers have Aaron Rodgers. Tom Brady sat for several years before getting his start and was a 6th round pick. Rodgers sat for several years as well. Basically, you can't have a Franchise QB if you don't have a franchise, which requires the team to be complete in other areas. Stop focusing on the steering wheel when you need an engine and brakes.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Since we're doing the comparing game, something I would not rather do, Fournette is compared to AP who has given the Vikes an identity and no title . Some are comparing Cook to Marshal Faulk who was the cog behind the Greatest Show On Turf  on they way to a championship . Me Personally, I want my team to be led by the QB. If that happens, that player can galvanize the offense and defense because of his play on the field, it has the ability to bring a whole team together .

The Pack By Rodgers

The Raiders by Carr

The Giants By Eli

Eli? seriously? he just threw away their season, they won 2 SBs b/c of the defense and STs.  Eli played well but the man has missed 6 of the last 8 postseasons and w/ SB talent led NYG to 10 and 9 wins and let's not forget Giant fans tried toi run him out of town prior to each of the SB runs.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

okay, i agree the head coach needs to deal with these things but that also doesn't mean that bowles is or will stay clueless as many people say.  this is his third season.  i don't see him as being another kotite or winner or holtz.  he'll learn and be much better.  the great parcells had a 3-13 season with the giants.  the great bellichicken was 5-11 with the patsies.  look at how the bungles went from being contenders to a sub 500 season.  how about the panthers?  it happens.

Fair enough. Maybe changes in the coaching staff will help but this is a make or break season for Bowles IMO. If they cut the deadwood and go with draft picks then I could see giving Bowles a pass. If they go all in though and sign a veteran QB and others Bowles has to deliver or he is gone.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Fair enough. Maybe changes in the coaching staff will help but this is a make or break season for Bowles IMO. If they cut the deadwood and go with draft picks then I could see giving Bowles a pass. If they go all in though and sign a veteran QB and others Bowles has to deliver or he is gone.

the thing i see is it's not just wins and losses.  the progress will be made if the team doesn't get too many stupid holding calls, or blown defensive assignements, or blocked punts, or sacks taken for a loss in critical situations, and so.  let's see some solid football team playing before we worry about win totals.  and if they do play solid footballs the wins will come.  i agree about going all in on a qb.  they will need to deliver the wins if they get a guy like cousins.

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every name you list there will be unemployed this time next year.

Just say'in.

Maybe, but then, where does that leave the Jets other than starting over again with a crew whose life expectancy is 2 yrs  at the most .  It has to stop . This Jet fan base would have fired Jason Garrett and Marvin Lewis long ago .  

57 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Eli? seriously? he just threw away their season, they won 2 SBs b/c of the defense and STs.  Eli played well but the man has missed 6 of the last 8 postseasons and w/ SB talent led NYG to 10 and 9 wins and let's not forget Giant fans tried toi run him out of town prior to each of the SB runs.

Yes, but who's the leader of the Giants team ? Even with their great defenses, it was and is Eli Manning. 

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Hmm, last time I checked, Carr is title-less. Eli Manning as "Franchise QB"? He hasn't been in serious contention for several years. Rothlessraper put up something like 20 points in two games in last year's playoffs.

The Pats have Tom Brady. The Packers have Aaron Rodgers. Tom Brady sat for several years before getting his start and was a 6th round pick. Rodgers sat for several years as well. Basically, you can't have a Franchise QB if you don't have a franchise, which requires the team to be complete in other areas. Stop focusing on the steering wheel when you need an engine and brakes.

We have what this team needs to win except the steering wheel .  Do you realize this Jet team won 10 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the steering wheel ?

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

We have what this team needs to win except the steering wheel .  Do you realize this Jet team won 10 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the steering wheel ?

C'mon. Do you really listen to yourself before writing?

The team won 13 games in two years with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the steering wheel. And it didn't make the playoffs against the softest schedule in league history (prove me wrong, I dare ya!) The Offense was ranked 22nd and the Defense ranked 23rd last year, with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the steering wheel.

Please, you need to get out more because nobody who has any football acumen can look at this house of cards called the Jets roster and say, "oh yeah, with a good QB we'd be right there..." when we have David Harris trying to cover, Sheldon Richardson and Wilkerson doing their no-production schtick, Revis getting toasted, Marshall dropping balls, Decker injured, Breno Giacomini and Clady manning the OT positions, Mangold injured,  no TEs. This was not the Cowboys' 2016 roster by any means.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

C'mon. Do you really listen to yourself before writing?

The team won 13 games in two years with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the steering wheel. And it didn't make the playoffs against the softest schedule in league history (prove me wrong, I dare ya!) The Offense was ranked 22nd and the Defense ranked 23rd last year, with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the steering wheel.

Please, you need to get out more because nobody who has any football acumen can look at this house of cards called the Jets roster and say, "oh yeah, with a good QB we'd be right there..." when we have David Harris trying to cover, Sheldon Richardson and Wilkerson doing their no-production schtick, Revis getting toasted, Marshall dropping balls, Decker injured, Breno Giacomini and Clady manning the OT positions, Mangold injured,  no TEs. This was not the Cowboys' 2016 roster by any means.

You're right, your way looks better .

35 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Maybe, but then, where does that leave the Jets other than starting over again with a crew whose life expectancy is 2 yrs  at the most .  It has to stop . This Jet fan base would have fired Jason Garrett and Marvin Lewis long ago .  

Just be prepared, it's not "going to stop" with Bowles as our Head Coach.

You want to know when it'll stop?  Perhaps when we hire someone competent to lead us as Head Coach.

Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles, these are not the guys you build a decade around.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Just be prepared, it's not "going to stop" with Bowles as our Head Coach.

You want to know when it'll stop?  Perhaps when we hire someone competent to lead us as Head Coach.

Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles, these are not the guys you build a decade around.

Maybe not, but if you keep them long enough, you might find the genius on their staff that just might .  

2 hours ago, phill1c said:

Correction: Brady sat for 1 year

The pats were not a good team up until the point Mo Lewis hit Bledsoe  they were a team that had just gone 5-11 the year before and was headed to 5-11 or worse before Brady came along 

It is all about the qb

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

If by "my way" you mean "fixing the holes in the roster" before wasting capital on the next "Great QB Hope" then, yeah, it most definitely does.

Yeah I'm sure getting another $12 million CB or $10 million Center will fix everything

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or you could waste 10 years going 6-10.

I remember watching this kid pep Hamilton working as an offensive assistant when herm was the HC and pegging him as a future OC.    I wonder what people said when Andy Reid was made the HC of the eagles or the Guy who replaced Tom Coughlin as Giants HC.  You look for assistants who show promise and you promote them just like the Bucs did when they fired Lovie Smith and hired his OC as HC.  Maybe Todd Bowles develops, but just in case he doesn't, maybe someone on his staff gets noticed .

the Jets have an identity.  The Jets are the losers who lose to the Patriots. 

and everyone else has a laugh about it, but us.  

The Jets are the Washington Generals and we are the dumb fans who go to the Harlem Globetrotters game expecting something different. 

just to respond to the original poster of this thread.. I totally agree..

I like how the Jets have had a long tradition with their uniforms...I really like that.. another reason why I like the NFL is you don't have teams changing uniforms all the time or have like 3 different uniforms with a Christmas edition or a Spanish edition or.. all this other nonsense the NBA does.... they stuck with their original look.. with like a 60's look to it in reference to Superbowl 3, even though I wish they'd carry the theme over to the Cheerleaders/stands with their outfits (think an occasional white sweater tops with cheerleader outfits or.. 80's style charger/raiderette outfits with green and white) and also get rid of that annoying PA announcer and promote #12 fan like they do in Seattle.. get people involved and excited.... I've never been to a Jets game or an NFL game before in my life.. one day I hope to but there are some things I see on TV that make me cringe a little..

Another thing that I notice is.. I wish the Jets would hold their players more accountable off the field as well.. if they get in trouble with the law or they're beyond hope then SHIP EM OUT!  Here in Utah we have the Utah Jazz.. and those guys spend time in hospitals and everything from food drives to thanksgiving... they're big into community stuff.  I haven't seen.. a whole lot of that..  and it sort of annoys me that players that get in trouble with the law seem to be picked up by the Jets at times...

But lastly.. and I'm probably the minority I would loooooouve to see the old 90's uniforms make some sort of come back.. maybe use a combination of the current jersey with the helmet.  You could use the current logo on the uniforms and have the jets helmet.. I dunno.. I just miss the old green and white colors and uniforms.. I mean GREEN UNIFORMS.

Anyway identity will come back with some franchise players and even if the wins do not come in.. if the effort is there I think the fans will follow..  good thread.

1996.keyshawn-johnson.jpg

see doesn't that white on green with that classic logo on the helmet look good? Nod your head and just say yes... get the cheerleaders wearing the same colors and fans wearing the gear with some good players and you got yourself some cool stuff going!

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have an identity.  The Jets are the losers who lose to the Patriots. 

and everyone else has a laugh about it, but us.  

The Jets are the Washington Generals and we are the dumb fans who go to the Harlem Globetrotters game expecting something different. 

Has the Generals ever won against the Globetrotters   ?

9 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Pack By Rodgers

The Raiders by Carr

The Giants By Eli

I agree with you.

I'd also like to have a franchise QB, not sure whether I see one in this draft, or not.  Then again  Brady was a 6th rounder, Dak was a 4th rounder, Rodgers was a late first and Warner was a free agent.   So who knows if this is a good year for QBs.  Despite all the scouting and combines etc. the draft continues to be a crap shoot that's why we should draft a QB each year till we find one that's worth something (not necessarily in the first round though)

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Has the Generals ever won against the Globetrotters   ?

Yes and like the Jets, it happened once, before I was born 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Generals

The Reds defeated the Globetrotters 100–99 on January 5, 1971 in Martin, Tennessee, ending their 2,495-game losing streak. Klotz credits the overtime win to a guard named Eddie Mahar, who was team captain.[4]Harlem's captain, Curly Neal, did not play in this game.[5]

While the Globetrotters were entertaining the crowd that day, they lost track of the game and the score. They found themselves down 12 points with two minutes left to go. Forced to play normal basketball, the Globetrotters rallied but could not recover.[6]

The Reds secured their victory when Klotz hit the winning basket with seconds left. Then Meadowlark Lemon missed a shot that would have given the game back to the Globetrotters. The timekeeper tried to stop the clock and couldn't. When the final buzzer sounded, the crowd was dumbfounded and disappointed.[7] Klotz described the fans' reaction: "They looked at us like we killed Santa Claus."[8]

Some children in the stands cried after the loss.

Archived