2016-17 New York Rangers thread

shawn306

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, good win. Six-game home losing streak is over, thank God. Another solid outing for Lundqvist. Seems like the team was playing with some fire and spending a lot of time in the Montreal zone. 

What do you have to do to get a penalty call, though? Damn. 

That OT felt like it was the first time this series that the Rangers dominated play. Krieder, the awful whiff looked like he finally got his head out of ass and started skating and pushing the issue in OT.

For all the abuse Girardi has taken the past two years he has been a beast in this series hitting the piss out of anyone with an H on their jersey.

I really hope this carries over into Saturday. Finish these jagoffs and move on.

Ottawa up next

I was really stunned to see how the Rangers responded to Montreal's physically by basically matching them blow for blow. I NEVER in a million years would have thought the Rangers could match up like that. Girardi was a beast again. Smith played really well and the Captain played with quite the chip on his shoulder as well.

Now we get our old buddy Brassard, Carlsson and the Senators. Meanwhile Crosby and Ovechkin are gonna wage war one more time as well.

The playoffs overall have been great. Alot of OT's, getting alot of new blood out west with Chicago and San Jose out in the first round. 

Oh yeah That Matthews kid in Toronto....He is really good at hockey.

Rangers have gotten a great draw.  Like Shawn said, great response by the Rangers to the Habs' physicality and being down 2-1.  Hank is back and I enjoyed the Rangers continue to attack even when up, rather than sitting on the lead (now if they would stop shooting wildly or whiffing on the puck).

This next series shouldn't be as physical.

13 hours ago, SMC said:

Rangers have gotten a great draw.  Like Shawn said, great response by the Rangers to the Habs' physicality and being down 2-1.  Hank is back and I enjoyed the Rangers continue to attack even when up, rather than sitting on the lead (now if they would stop shooting wildly or whiffing on the puck).

This next series shouldn't be as physical.

I think it will once they realize they cannot out quick us. 

3 hours ago, EM31 said:

I think it will once they realize they cannot out quick us. 

That's true, but the Rangers are the better team (they should have home ice if not for the crazy seeding) and should be able to impose their advantage.

This seems like Hank's and Girardi's last hurrah on this stage (Hank will still be here, but Girardi will likely be bought out for cap reasons).  I hope this is the year this core group finally wins the Cup because I've been thinking that this group (Hank, McDonagh, Zuccarelo, Nash, Kreider, etc) is probably the best Ranger team for sustaining quality in franchise history, but it can't be validated without a title.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:04 PM, SMC said:

That's true, but the Rangers are the better team (they should have home ice if not for the crazy seeding) and should be able to impose their advantage.

This seems like Hank's and Girardi's last hurrah on this stage (Hank will still be here, but Girardi will likely be bought out for cap reasons).  I hope this is the year this core group finally wins the Cup because I've been thinking that this group (Hank, McDonagh, Zuccarelo, Nash, Kreider, etc) is probably the best Ranger team for sustaining quality in franchise history, but it can't be validated without a title.

Agreed on all of that.

Our 2nd tier guys really need to step up.  I think our top guys and our 3rd strings have done very well overall.  Nash, Hank, Mcd,and Zuc have all done really really well, expecially Hank.  Resting Giradi and a few others was great way to coast down the stretch and give him a shot at a last hurrah.  Lindberg, Smith plus a few others have really been over performing their pay grade and I think that "mean" Smith will be needed once again in this series.  I am worried that the Stepan's, Hayes' and the Krieder's of the world need to show up and/or be more consistent.  In a pretty physical and chippy series Chris Krieder was invisible for long stretches.  That is a concern. I know Hayes had a good game 6 but he has also given the puck away much much to often.

All of that may fly against the Canadiens and even the Senators but it will not fly against the winner of that other Eastern conference Semi no matter which of them ends up emerging.

Both Vesey and Buchnevish (sp?) look to me like they are ready to break out.  Especially Pavel.

The west just looks weak.

Fun times.

I was taking my wife out for our anniversary on Saturday, so I missed the disaster (saw Dear Evan Hansen, which is phenomenal.  Take your wives to see it while Ben Platt is still the lead.  You won't regret it).

I still think Rangers are the better team and they can easily come back from 0-2.  They have to just hope this was Hank's lone stinker.  They need to attack and have Hank be decent and they should turn this series around. 

I have to admit, I had my doubts after that Game 2 meltdown. I thought coughing up a late lead like that would sink the Rangers in the series. Pleasantly surprised at their ability to bounce back; the last two games have been great. Still need to get two more though. 

9 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I have to admit, I had my doubts after that Game 2 meltdown. I thought coughing up a late lead like that would sink the Rangers in the series. Pleasantly surprised at their ability to bounce back; the last two games have been great. Still need to get two more though. 

I had that thought too but the played great defensive games in games 3 and 4 that in reality Lundqvist was tested minimally at best.

Gotta give AV props for putting Glass not only back in the lineup but puts him out there with Stepan and Nash to start the game. Glass goes out hits the crap out of that little French guy in front of the Ottawa bench and the tone for game 4 was set right there.

Boy if the Rangers can ever get Krieder and Miller going.

Just up there tommorow, kick Ottawa's ass again and finish this thing off in game 6

The Rangers are so dangerous when they're 4 lines deep.

I read this stat after game 2 meltdown and it still caries over: Ottawa has only led in a little over 4 minutes for the entire series thus far.  The Rangers have dominated and now they've tied it up.  Should close it out over next 2, especially if Karlsson gone.

The series should be over right now or at worst 3-1 in favor of the Rangers.  In their heats Ottawa probably know this.  Time for the better team to close it out and move on to the real 500LB Gorilla in the room. 

Hank has to decide if he wants to be a champion.

We're fans so we'll be rooting for team when he's gone and this might be his last best chance at the Cup.

To blow two late 3rd period leads against an inferior opponent is inexcusable 

I saw on twitter writers and some Ranger fans blaming AV for this because who was on the ice when the lead was blown late and I'm flabbergasted.

The Rangers all-world goalie gave up 11 goals in back-to-back games in Ottawa.  That's on Hank

On 5/7/2017 at 9:49 AM, SMC said:

I saw on twitter writers and some Ranger fans blaming AV for this because who was on the ice when the lead was blown late and I'm flabbergasted.

The Rangers all-world goalie gave up 11 goals in back-to-back games in Ottawa.  That's on Hank

I think it has been a bit of both.

Lundqvist has not been the Lundqvist that we saw against Montreal.but three times now in the playoffs the Rangers have given up the game tying goal with the goalie pulled and they have lost all three games. So to me something is not getting through to the players in how to defend that and it seem like each time is has happened Staal and Holden have been on the ice.

Being down 3-2 doesn't really bother me though. They were down 3-2 against Ottawa in 2012 came back, 3-2 to the Caps in 2013 and came back. 3-1 to the Penguins; came back in 2014, 3-1 to the Caps in 2015 and came back. So this is not uncharted territory for the Rangers. I expect them to win tonight.

Now Thursday.....that is a different story. They have had the Senators dead to right in game 2 and game 5 and let them off the mat and basically steal those games. There is no room for error now. EVERYONE needs to step up.

As far as Pittsburgh and Washington go. I hope they go about 4 or 5 OT's tommorow night and beat each other to death. :) 

Pittsburgh made a big mistake letting the Caps off the mat.

Archived