..has FitzMagic run OUT ? ?.. and the 2017 QB market ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jetrider said:

No, the magic hasn't run out.  Fitz's disappearing act is better than ever.

Hey now, it all depends on how you look at Fitz.

Rose colored glasses: Fitz is just 2 TD's behind Tom Brady this season. 

Those Rowdy Piper shades from "They Live": Tom Brady was suspended for the first 4 games of  the season. 

A GLIMPSE OF SECOND-HALF FITZMAGIC

After a horrid first half (3-of-14 for 30 yards), Ryan Fitzpatrick went 13-of-20 for 198 yards and a TD after halftime. Per ESPN Stats & Info, Fitzpatrick now has one TD and 10 INTs in the second half of games this season.

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

During Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's conference call with reporters Monday, another voice came on the line. 

"We're on a winning streak!" this unidentified person shrieked. "Two games! Woo-hoo! J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!"

No, this was not one of Fitzpatrick's young children, all hopped up on Halloween candy. It was, as Fitzpatrick explained, his exuberant wide receiver, Brandon Marshall. 

"He's pretty excited," Fitzpatrick said, in his usual even tone. 

The Jets have indeed won two consecutive games, over the Ravens and Browns, after a 1-5 start low-lighted by a four-game losing streak. The Jets visit the Dolphins and host the Rams the next two weeks, as they try to enter their bye week at 5-5 and make an unlikely push for a playoff spot. Despite the modest winning streak, Fitzpatrick isn't happy with the Jets' first half of this season, which once carried such lofty expectations. 

"I think we've definitely played below our expectations, especially for the offense and myself," he said. "There are a lot of things that we need to do better if we're going to continue to win games. I think it's been a huge disappointment." 

He does believe this team is equipped to make a run at the playoffs, though. 

"I think as the season goes on, your expectations change a little bit," he said. "Being 3-5 and not sitting undefeated or in great shape in terms of our record, we've got to change expectations. And expectations for us are we've got to win them all."That's what we hope to do. I think we have the right guys in the locker room to do it. I think that's what everybody feels. I think the confidence is up. Whether we win them all or not, we better expect to win every single game we play." 

Fitzpatrick pinned the Jets' struggles on himself. He has no interceptions the past two weeks, but he still leads the NFL with 11 picks. And he is still last in quarterback rating (68.0)."I think the biggest thing is I haven't played well," he said. "I think that's where it starts offensively. I think as I play better, the offense will do the same." 

The Jets' offense emerged from Sunday's 31-28 win at the Browns ranked 22nd in the NFL in yards per game and 28th in points per game. The Jets on Sunday gained 393 yards, their second-most this year. Their 31 points were also their second-most.As for why his performance has declined from last season, Fitzpatrick said it's more mental than physical. 

"I don't know if it's mechanics," he said. "I think a lot of it is mental or it's thought process." 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/ryan_fitzpatrick_says_jets_season_is_huge_disappoi.html#incart_river_index

One week after claiming team brass stopped believing in him, New York Jetsquarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said Monday he's the main reason for the team's poor start on offense."I think the biggest thing is I haven't played well," Fitzpatrick said. "I think that's where it starts. Offensively, if your quarterback isn't playing well, you're not going to play well on offense. ... As I play better, I think the offense will do the same."

The Jets reached the midpoint at 3-5, ranked 28th in scoring offense -- "a huge disappointment," said Fitzpatrick, who had hoped to build on his career year in 2015.

"I think we've definitely played below expectations, especially speaking for the offense and myself," he said.

Fitzpatrick was benched after a 1-5 start that included a league-high 11 interceptions, but he got a second chance when backup Geno Smith suffered a season-ending knee injury.Fitzpatrick came off the bench last week in a win over the Baltimore Ravens, making headlines after the game by calling out ownership and management for giving up on him. On Sunday, he overcame an awful first half to lead the biggest road comeback in team history. The Jets trailed 20-7 at halftime, and Fitzpatrick orchestrated three touchdown drives in a 31-28 victory over theCleveland Browns.

He was so bad in the first half (3-for-14, 30 yards) that Jets legend Joe Namath tweeted that Fitzpatrick should be replaced by the untested Bryce Petty.

Fitzpatrick shrugged off Namath's stinging criticism, saying, "I understand it 100 percent."He went on to say he's confident the offense will figure out its issues, starting Sunday at the Miami Dolphins (3-4)."We've got to change our expectations, and the expectations for us are we've got to win 'em all," he said. "That's what we hope to do. I think we have the right guys in the locker room to do it. I think that's what everybody feels. I think the confidence is up."

After the Dolphins, the Jets return home to face the struggling Los Angeles Rams (3-4), who have dropped three straight. The Jets could play themselves back into contention. But at the same time, the frustrated fan base is calling for coach Todd Bowles to play Petty, who may or may not be the quarterback of the future.It doesn't sound is if Bowles is close to making that move. He said he didn't consider it at halftime, opting to stick with Fitzpatrick.

"There are a lot of reasons why we haven't played well in the first half of the season," Bowles said. "It's not necessarily the quarterback."

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17938972/ryan-fitzpatrick-blames-self-new-york-jets-offensive-woes

New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who underwent an MRI on Monday, has been diagnosed with a sprained MCL in his left knee, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Jets coach Todd Bowles said after Sunday's 27-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins that Fitzpatrick, despite a two-interception performance, will start against the Los Angeles Rams.But Fitzpatrick's injury, although not considered serious, could impact that decision. Bowles may wait until later in the week before declaring a starter. If he is not satisfied with Fitzpatrick's condition, he could give second-year quarterback Bryce Pettyhis first start.

Bowles will address the media at 3:30 p.m. ET on Monday.Petty replaced Fitzpatrick for four snaps on Sunday, completing both pass attempts and finishing off a drive that resulted in a field goal. It was his first regular-season action.Fitzpatrick, who has thrown a league-leading 13 interceptions this season, was injured when Dolphins defensive lineman Jordan Phillips rolled into his left knee. Fitzpatrick was examined on the sideline and returned for the next series.

Jets fans have clamored for Petty to play, but Bowles gave Fitzpatrick an unequivocal vote of confidence after the game.Bowles hinted earlier in the season that he may turn to Petty at some point, but it's believed that he wants to reevaluate during the team's Week 11 bye.The Jets (3-6) don't have an experienced backup, as Geno Smith suffered a season-ending knee injury two weeks ago. The only quarterbacks on the bench are Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg, who has yet to dress for a game.

Also on Monday, a source told ESPN's Adam Caplan that Jets nickelback Marcus Williams suffered a high ankle sprain on Sunday. While Williams is not expected to play next Sunday against the visiting Los Angeles Rams, how much time he will miss is still being determined.

>        http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17992276/ryan-fitzpatrick-new-york-jets-mcl-sprain

ets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is nursing a sprained left knee. But if he is healthy enough to play next Sunday against the Rams, he will start — not Bryce Petty

Jets coach Todd Bowles made that clear Monday, as he continues to stick with Fitzpatrick, even though the Jets are 3-6 and their season is essentially over.That's because, in Bowles' eyes, the season is not over.And with Geno Smith out for the year with a torn ACL, he doesn't yet want to start Petty, a second-year pro, over Fitzpatrick. 

"We're down, not out," Bowles said. "Right now, I'm not worried about turning the page [and evaluating Petty for the future]. I'm worried about who gives us the best chance to win. And right now, Fitz gives us the best chance to win if he's healthy. If not, then Bryce will get his shot to play." Petty got his first NFL regular season action in Sunday's loss at the Dolphins. Petty played four snaps, before Fitzpatrick returned to the field with a brace on his knee. Petty completed both of his pass attempts, for 19 yards. 

Fitzpatrick and Smith will be free agents next offseason. So the Jets ideally would see what they have — via 2016 regular season game experience — in Petty and/or raw rookie Christian Hackenberg, to determine where they go from here at the sport's most important position. Many Jets fans want the team to start Petty right now and begin evaluating him for the future. But like Bowles, wide receiver Brandon Marshall continues to back Fitzpatrick as the Jets' best chance to climb out of this miserable hole, even though their playoff hopes appear non-existent at this point. 

"It's easy to throw darts at the quarterback in this situation," Marshall said. "But like I've said all season, there's so much that goes into it. All of us need to play better. Unfortunately, the quarterback usually gets the brunt of the punishment, and it comes with the territory, but it's not just one guy. So I get it. I understand it. But it's not just Fitz's fault. It's all of our faults." 

Fitzpatrick currently has eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions this season, with an NFL-worst 67.6 quarterback rating. 

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/why_jets_todd_bowles_refuses_to_bench_ryan_fitzpat.html#incart_river_index

-- If he plays, Ryan Fitzpatrick could get the Case Keenum treatment Sunday at MetLife Stadium, meaning it could turn ugly.

Fitzpatrick's Los Angeles Rams counterpart was booed repeatedly last week at the Los Angeles Coliseum, where frustrated fans chanted for rookie Jared Goff. The New York Jets' fan base is in a similarly cranky mood, fed up with the interception-prone Fitzpatrick and eager to see Bryce Petty.

What would be the over/under on the first "Want want Bryce!" chant? Let's call it the first three-and-out.

With the team out of contention, Fitzpatrick knows he's on a week-to-week basis. If the Jets (3-6) lose to the struggling Rams (3-5), the coaching staff will use the bye week to re-evaluate the quarterback position.

"That's how my whole career has been," said Fitzpatrick, alluding to the lack of job security.

We're assuming he plays, of course. Fitzpatrick (sprained knee) was limited all week in practice, although he didn't miss any days -- a positive sign. Coach Todd Bowles said it will be a game-time decision, but it would be a surprise if Fitzpatrick doesn't start. He'll have to wear a knee brace.

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64764/advice-for-jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-wear-knee-brace-bring-ear-plugs

Todd Bowles is either really confused about his quarterback decision or trying hard not to tip his hand.

Quizzed Monday about his Ryan Fitzpatrick-Bryce Petty choice, the New York Jets coach talked in circles, almost laughably so. The news is that there is no news, as Bowles said he will sleep on it ... for six nights. He said he will name his starter next Monday when the Jets return from their bye week to begin preparation for the New England Patriots.

Bowles said the decision will be based on whichever player gives them the best chance to beat the Patriots, which would seem to indicate Fitzpatrick. Just four days ago, he described Fitzpatrick as "that guy" for the Jets. But, of course, Fitzpatrick is dealing with a minor injury, the wrinkle that eliminates the all-things-being-equal scenario.

At 3-7, the Jets should give the job to Petty to see if he can be their quarterback in 2017, when Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith will be gone. Bowles said he's not into the "future" mode just yet with regard to Petty."Not right now," Bowles said. "He played OK, but he's still got a lot of things to learn. But you don't learn unless you play. But at the same time, we're still trying to win games, too."

Dizzy ?

If the Jets' ball-carriers had that much change-of-direction skill, the offense would be, you know, scoring touchdowns.

In his NFL starting debut, Petty didn't exactly seize the moment, but he also didn't stink. He completed 19-of-32 passes for 163 yards with one touchdown (a gadget play) and one interception. Take away his 52-yard completion to Robby Anderson, which he called the purest pass he's ever made, and Petty had 111 passing yards on 31 attempts -- an unsightly 3.6 yards per attempt.

Petty received a lukewarm evaluation from Bowles.

"He was calm, he was poised when he was out there," Bowles said. "He threw the deep ball well. He understood his reads. He went where the ball was supposed to go. He hurried up some things; that's going to happen when a first-time starter comes out there. He hurried some throws and he missed a couple of reads as well. But, for the most part, other than the one turnover, he played OK."

Just OK.

Hey, at least he didn't try to sugar-coat it.

If the Jets were in a must-win situation, the choice would be easy -- Fitzpatrick. But they've done too much losing to make it a must-win. Bowles acknowledged there could be a point "toward the end of a season" where a losing team may want to start evaluating for the future. It doesn't sound like he's there yet.He also didn't dismiss the possibility of changing quarterbacks again. Asked if his choice will be permanent, he said, "It could change, but it could stay the same as well."

It sounded like something Yogi Berra would've said.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64890/jets-coach-todd-bowles-punts-on-qb-decision-saying-he-needs-time

-- In the New York Jets' perfect world, Bryce Pettywould crush his audition (whenever it happens), earning the trust of the organization and positioning himself to be the 2017 starter.

Nice. Seamless. A stress-free offseason.

Problem is, this perfect-world place hasn't existed for the Jets since the night of Jan. 12, 1969, when Joe Namath trotted off the field in Miami's Orange Bowl, flashing the No. 1 sign after capturing Super Bowl III.In other words, there's a good chance the Jets will be looking for a quarterback in the offseason, which brings us to the name on everybody's lips: Tony Romo.

Should the Jets consider the former Dallas Cowboys starter if he becomes available? Yes, they should, but it depends on how they approach the offseason.

Could they get him? Unlikely.

Everybody's initial thought on Romo is that he's too old (he'll be 37 in April), too brittle and too expensive, and that he'd be a one-year Band-Aid. Essentially, he'd be a hired gun, the 2017 version of Brett Favre, who teased the Jets with an 8-3 start in 2008 before his right arm fell off.

All legitimate concerns, to be sure, but what are the alternatives? Jay Cutler? Colin Kaepernick? Please.

Every year, the quarterback market is like a used-car lot. Each one has dents and imperfections -- injuries, physical shortcomings, mental scars, etc. Barring a collapse by rookie phenom Dak Prescott, Romo will be added to the lot because the Cowboys can't afford to keep him as a backup and because his body keeps breaking down. He has a twice-fractured collarbone and, most recently, a compression fracture of his L1 vertebra.

Fragile and old aren't a good combination in a blood sport like football, but what if he winds up riding the bench for the rest of the season? He'd be well-rested, healed and highly motivated. At the very least, he'd be worth exploring. It would be wrong to simply dismiss him because, if healthy, he'd be their best quarterback since, well, Favre.Coach Todd Bowles, a former Cowboys assistant, has insight into Romo because he was around him from 2005 to 2007, when the quarterback went from a nobody to a legitimate star. And Bowles likes surrounding himself with people he knows. So there's that.Owner Woody Johnson likes marquee names at the quarterback position, and Romo -- with his big-market personality -- would be able to handle New York. The Jets are looking at six straight seasons out of the playoffs, and it would be hard to sell hope to a frustrated fan base when there's no buzz at the quarterback position.

The big question is, would Romo fit from a team-building standpoint ?

If general manager Mike Maccagnan stays in win-now mode, trying to re-load with established veterans, yes, Romo would be worth the gamble. If Maccagnan focuses on a youth movement, no, it wouldn't make sense to add a 37-year-old quarterback. The injury risk and salary cost wouldn't justify the potential reward. Rome wasn't built in a day, and Romo wouldn't rebuild the Jets in a year under those circumstances.

Considering the sorry state of the team, the latter approach makes the most sense.

If the Jets were to pursue Romo, it wouldn't be easy to get him.

Because of the cap ramifications, the Cowboys might not be able to trade Romo, who has three years and $54 million remaining on his contract (including an affordable, non-guaranteed $14 million in 2017). They'd get hit with a $19.6 million charge, saving only $5.1 million.The cap-friendliest separation would be to release him with a June 1 designation, which can be done before June 1. This way, they'd incur "only" a $10.7 million charge, realizing a $14 million savings.Romo would be free to sign with any team, but ask yourself this: Why would he pick the Jets over a team like, say, the Denver Broncos, where he'd have a chance to pull a Peyton Manning and ride off as a champion? The Jets won't be a Super Bowl contender in 2017. They can offer him money and the lure of the New York market, but that's about it.

Again, any interest in Romo would come down to a larger issue -- the direction this regime wants to take the franchise. If it's an all-in approach in '17, they should give Jerry Jones a call.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64918/tony-romo-could-make-sense-for-qb-starved-jets-under-one-condition

On 10/13/2016 at 3:29 PM, Barkus said:

I don't want fitz on the team next year in any role. 

imo that's just wrong minded.  fitz has limitations but what he does have more than any other qb is knowledge of gailey's system and the receivers.  he would be a very good back up for the jets.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo that's just wrong minded.  fitz has limitations but what he does have more than any other qb is knowledge of gailey's system and the receivers.  he would be a very good back up for the jets.

Yeah that knowledge was really helpful for fitz this season so why not keep him for another year. If the starter goes down next season, at least we know we'll have the worst QB in the league on the bench and ready to go 

The Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrickengaged in an extended contract dance this offseason before Fitzpatrick finally agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal shortly before the start of training camp.That allowed the Jets to keep the same starting quarterback who set a franchise record for touchdown passes that they had on their way to a 10-6 record last season, but the results haven’t been anywhere close to as good this time around. The Jets are 3-7 and Fitzpatrick was benched in favor of Geno Smith after a flurry of interceptions early in the season.

Fitzpatrick returned after Smith tore his ACL, but was out again last week after a knee injury of his own and the team is mulling a permanent switch to Bryce Petty after their bye week. None of that has led to regrets about the deal from General Manager Mike Maccagnan.“I have no regrets about bringing Ryan back,” Maccagnan said, via NJ.com. “I think going into it, we felt very good about the season Ryan had previously. I have no regrets from that standpoint. Of course, I think everybody, and Ryan included, would probably say he holds himself to a fairly high standard. I’m sure there are aspects that he would like to … we all would like to have better success on the field as a team. But from the standpoint of bringing Ryan back, no, I don’t have regrets on that.”

Given that the team didn’t pursue any other starting options over the offseason and had Smith, Petty and Christian Hackenberg at quarterback before Fitzpatrick’s return, the lack of regret is easy to understand. At this point in the year, though, the only regret the Jets should really be concerned about is not getting enough of a look at Petty to know if he has a future with the team.Maccagnan called that a “complicated decision” because of how it affects others on the team, but it won’t be one he regrets either because he said coach Todd Bowles will be making it.

>       http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/16/mike-maccagnan-no-regrets-about-re-signing-ryan-fitzpatrick/

4 hours ago, kelly said:

Everybody's initial thought on Romo is that he's too old (he'll be 37 in April), too brittle and too expensive, and that he'd be a one-year Band-Aid. Essentially, he'd be a hired gun, the 2017 version of Brett Favre, who teased the Jets with an 8-3 start in 2008 before his right arm fell off.

what a crock of sh*t! everyone knows Brett didnt like the cold

49 minutes ago, kelly said:

The Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrickengaged in an extended contract dance this offseason before Fitzpatrick finally agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal shortly before the start of training camp.That allowed the Jets to keep the same starting quarterback who set a franchise record for touchdown passes that they had on their way to a 10-6 record last season, but the results haven’t been anywhere close to as good this time around. The Jets are 3-7 and Fitzpatrick was benched in favor of Geno Smith after a flurry of interceptions early in the season.

Fitzpatrick returned after Smith tore his ACL, but was out again last week after a knee injury of his own and the team is mulling a permanent switch to Bryce Petty after their bye week. None of that has led to regrets about the deal from General Manager Mike Maccagnan.“I have no regrets about bringing Ryan back,” Maccagnan said, via NJ.com. “I think going into it, we felt very good about the season Ryan had previously. I have no regrets from that standpoint. Of course, I think everybody, and Ryan included, would probably say he holds himself to a fairly high standard. I’m sure there are aspects that he would like to … we all would like to have better success on the field as a team. But from the standpoint of bringing Ryan back, no, I don’t have regrets on that.”

Given that the team didn’t pursue any other starting options over the offseason and had Smith, Petty and Christian Hackenberg at quarterback before Fitzpatrick’s return, the lack of regret is easy to understand. At this point in the year, though, the only regret the Jets should really be concerned about is not getting enough of a look at Petty to know if he has a future with the team.Maccagnan called that a “complicated decision” because of how it affects others on the team, but it won’t be one he regrets either because he said coach Todd Bowles will be making it.

>       http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/16/mike-maccagnan-no-regrets-about-re-signing-ryan-fitzpatrick/

How much of a look did the Cowboys, Eagles or Browns get?  After 2 years of practice and pre-season, I think the Jets have a good idea of what they have with Bryce.

-- The New York Jets have endured some really, really bad quarterback seasons in their history. We might be witnessing the worst in the post-Joe Namath era (1977 to present).

The Jets have a league-low passer rating of 68.7. While that stands as "only" the 11th-lowest rating over the last 40 years, it's 20.4 below the league average for the current season.In that context, it's THE WORST season for the Jets since '77. League average is needed for perspective because, let's face it, Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing a different game than Richard Todd did in the late 1970s.

Here are the top five worst quarterback seasons since Namath, based on team passer rating relative to the league average. You'll notice four of the five stinkers occurred in the last eight years :

1. 2016, Fitzpatrick -- You've seen the interceptions and the missed throws. What more can we say? Geno Smith and Bryce Petty also have seen playing time, with Christian Hackenberg waiting in the wings -- the distant wings.

2. 2009, Mark Sanchez -- Let's not forget, Sanchez was a rookie with a limited amount of college experience. The Jets threw their first-round pick into the fire, hoping his supporting cast was good enough to overcome the growing pains -- and it worked. They made the playoffs, almost the Super Bowl. Statistically, it was a bad season for Sanchez, but no one was disappointed because he was viewed as an ascending player. (Team passer rating: 62.0. NFL average: 81.2. Difference: minus-19.2).

3. 2013, Smith -- Like Sanchez, Smith was an opening-day starter as a rookie. He wasn't ready for the job, but the Jets had no choice but to play him because Sanchez suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in the preseason. Smith threw 21 interceptions, but there were flickers of promise at the end of the season, fueling optimism. (Team rating: 66.6. NFL average: 84.1 Difference: minus-17.5)

4. 1992, Browning Nagle --Numbers aside, this might have been the bleakest year of them all. By season's end, there was no hope at the position, prompting the Jets to trade for Boomer Esiason. Nagle, a second-round pick in '91, was overwhelmed. Teammates said Nagle was more preoccupied with the New York nightlife than his playbook. He fancied himself as a fledgling singer, and he used to visit bars to sing karaoke. On the bench was Ken O'Brien, who despite his eroding skills was still better than Nagle. It would be O'Brien's final season in New York. The most talented passer on the team was future Cincinnati Bengals starter Jeff Blake, who never got a serious look. (Team rating: 57.2. NFL average: 72.8. Difference: minus-15.6).

5. 2012, Sanchez -- This was the year of the circus. After extending Sanchez's contract in the offseason, the Jets made the ill-fated trade for Tim Tebow, whose presence caused a season-long distraction. Sanchez wound up getting benched, but -- surprise -- he wasn't replaced by Tebow; it was Greg McElroy. Little did they know that two-thirds of their depth chart would go on to careers at ESPN. Tebow and McElroy talk better than they played. (Team rating: 68.3. NFL average: 83.8. Difference: minus-15.5).

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64947/stats-dont-lie-this-is-jets-worst-qb-season-of-post-namath-era

On 11/16/2016 at 1:35 PM, cant wait said:

Yeah that knowledge was really helpful for fitz this season so why not keep him for another year. If the starter goes down next season, at least we know we'll have the worst QB in the league on the bench and ready to go 

whether you believe it or not, fitz's play isn't the only reason for the record.  this team, with the players it has right now, should be at least 5-5 or 6-4.  anyone would take that record at this point.  just like last season was too good for him, this season is too bad.  he's somewhere in the middle and that's not so bad for a back up.

On 10/13/2016 at 6:40 PM, Barkus said:

No way, would have to cut Brandon Marshall and the media would have a field  day with cutler and his poor attitude.

And the media isn't already having a field day with us?  Marshall is going nowhere he wants a career in broadcasting after he retires he isn't getting it playing in a podunk market.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

whether you believe it or not, fitz's play isn't the only reason for the record.  this team, with the players it has right now, should be at least 5-5 or 6-4.  anyone would take that record at this point.  just like last season was too good for him, this season is too bad.  he's somewhere in the middle and that's not so bad for a back up.

No one has ever said Fitz is the only reason this season has been a waste.  That said he is probably the biggest reason.

Just now, drdetroit said:

No one has ever said Fitz is the only reason this season has been a waste.  That said he is probably the biggest reason.

We started out the 2016 season with a very tough schedule sadly our incompetent GM thought a 34 year old rag armed never made the playoffs QB was the answer here and more sad was how are head coached stuck with him. 

If your wondering why we are 3-7 in last place wonder no more. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

We started out the 2016 season with a very tough schedule sadly our incompetent GM thought a 34 year old rag armed never made the playoffs QB was the answer here and more sad was how are head coached stuck with him. 

If your wondering why we are 3-7 in last place wonder no more. 

It doesn't help Fitz made a lot of mental mistakes this season.  He out-Sanchez'd Mark Sanchez

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Yeah there's probably some truth to that, but with fitz at his age he very well could be on the decline too. regardless speculating on the backup QB for next season is a little premature considering the team needs a starter more than anything

The 3-7 Jets are, as a practical matter, done. Apparently, however, things could get worse.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Jets coach Todd Bowles is concerned that giving the starting job to quarterback Bryce Pettycould prompt the players to “check out.”Per Mehta, people who have seen Petty perform in practice believe that he is so far behind Ryan Fitzpatrick that Bowles would lose credibility if he goes with Petty.

If that’s the case, it makes no sense for Bowles to go with Petty, beyond the potential impact on the locker room. Bowles surely hasn’t secured a third season yet, and a 3-13 finish could prompt owner Woody Johnson to make another change. If there’s a big gap between Petty and Fitzpatrick and if using Petty will impact the performance of other players (even if it shouldn’t since they’re supposed to be professionals), why would Bowles tie his job security to Petty?

Of course, it’s possible that there’s a pro-Fitzpatrick element pushing this narrative, in order to box Bowles into using the veteran. Either way, it’s the only bit of uncertainty left for a team that is certain to miss the playoffs.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/17/report-todd-bowles-fears-players-will-check-out-if-bryce-petty-is-named-the-starter/

• 3 weeks later...

After the Jets got hammered 41-10 by the Colts on Monday night, there was a bunch of awkward confusion surrounding their quarterback swap. 

Coach Todd Bowles said in his postgame press conference that second-year pro Bryce Petty would replace Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starter for the final four games of this 3-9 season -- and that this decision was made before Monday's game.Then Fitzpatrick addressed reporters and seemed surprised by the news. He said the Jets' offensive coaches just told him about his benching in the locker room.

On Tuesday, Bowles admitted he could've handled this situation better. It probably would've helped matters if Bowles talked to Fitzpatrick about his demotion before Fitzpatrick stepped behind a podium for his press conference. "I hadn't talked to him," Bowles said. "The coaches told him. I had been meaning to talk to him and I got tied up with a few things. I'll make sure we'll talk [Wednesday] morning." 

Could Bowles have done things differently, in retrospect? 

"I probably could've, and he tried to cover for me," Bowles said. "But I had a lot on my mind. I got some things off my chest, and it kind of went over the wrong way differently, and I'll talk to him [Wednesday]." 

(Tuesday was the players' off day.) 

Bowles on Tuesday clarified other points regarding the Petty-Fitzpatrick swap.He said he decided two or three weeks ago that the Jets would turn to Petty for the final four games if they were out of playoff contention. But if they remained in contention, Fitzpatrick would've continued to start. 

The Jets obviously blew their playoff hopes -- essentially albeit not mathematically -- with a 1-5 start. But they were not officially eliminated from playoff contention until after they lost to the Colts. And Bowles said following the game that even if the Jets beat the Colts, he still would've gone with Petty for the final four weeks.The Jets would've needed a miracle at 4-8 to make the playoffs. So this is really just semantics, regarding "in contention" versus "out of contention" here. 

"We knew if we were out of contention and out of the running, in my mind, I told the coaches that we would give [Petty] the last quarter of the season to try and make progress," Bowles said.He had maintained all along that Fitzpatrick gave the Jets the best chance to win. So has the Jets' approach now shifted from winning in 2016 to developing for the future? 

"It's trying to win, and it's trying to see what I have at quarterback with Bryce," Bowles said of his dual mission for these final four games.He isn't concerned about Petty being ready to play Sunday at the 49ers."He's been getting starter's reps the past couple weeks, so he's had enough now to where he's ready to go in and play some," Bowles said. "After getting a game under his belt, and he'll take [more] starter's reps, he should be a little more comfortable week by week." 

Bowles clarified that Petty's starter's reps in recent weeks were just the first-team practice snaps that the backup quarterback usually gets -- not an increased number. Obviously, that number will significantly increase now. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/12/jets_todd_bowles_admits_awkwardly_handling_of_bryc.html#incart_river_index

Future employers beware: Ryan Fitzpatrick has been historically bad in 2016

At halftime of an eventual Monday night loss to the Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick was pulled following a disappointing 5-for-12 showing that included just 81 passing yards and his 14th interception of the season -- tied for the second most of any QB so far this year. Fitzpatrick's 24.6 Total QBR against the Colts was his second-worst performance of the season (only his 5.5 against the Chiefs in Week 3 is worse), and also the second-worst of his two-season tenure with the Jets.

Fitzpatrick has struggled all season and now has been replaced as the starting quarterback twice this season (the first time came after Week 6 when Geno Smith took over, before Smith's injury early in Week 7 necessitated a Fitzpatrick return). All this on the heels of a career year in 2015. What has happened to turn Fitz from the unquestioned starter on a 10-6 team to a twice-benched journeyman who will probably end up on his seventh team in 13 seasons next year?

Interceptions

The most noticeable issue facing Fitzpatrick is his poor interception rate. It isn't so much that the volume of interceptions is off the charts, but when you factor in his low number of attempts compared to QBs who have thrown a similar number of picks, his rate is downright alarming. In a season that is on pace to have the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in league history (2.1 percent, which would break the previous record set last season at 2.4 percent), Fitzpatrick has had 4.1 percent of his attempts picked this season, by far the highest rate of any qualified QB this season (the next-closest is the also-benched Case Keenum at 3.5 percent). This has occurred after back-to-back seasons in which Fitzpatrick he posted near-career-low interception rates of 2.7 percent in 2015 and 2.6 percent in 2014.

This year the interceptions have also been especially costly in terms of expected points added. As we have mentioned in the past, not all interceptions are created equal. A deep interception on a third-and-long isn't as damaging as an interception on an early down near the goal line. If we take a look at the quarterbacks' portion of the EPA lost on their interceptions, nobody has been more damaging in aggregate than Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick has thrown five interceptions in the red zone this season; no other quarterback has thrown more than two. The five red-zone picks are tied for the second-most a QB has thrown in a season since 2001, behind only Jay Cutler's six in 2009. Last season, Fitzpatrick threw only one red-zone pick.

Pressure problems

Another area where Fitzpatrick is down big from 2015 is his performance while pressured. Last year he compiled a 71.5 raw QBR while pressured, the second-best mark in the league (the NFL average last season was 28.9 while pressured), but this season he has a 12.2 raw QBR while pressured, 29th out of 31 qualified quarterbacks. (The league average is 34.7 this season.)

A look at Fitzpatrick's week-by-week QBR numbers in 2016:

For more from ESPN Analytics, visit the ESPN Analytics Index.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18226665/ryan-fitzpatrick-historically-bad-2016

• 2 weeks later...

Archived