..has FitzMagic run OUT ? ?.. and the 2017 QB market ~ ~ ~

kelly

1 minute ago, kelly said:

CLAYTON : JAY CUTLER TO THE JETS

John Clayton doesn't think Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg will open next season as New York's starter, and Cutler should be available. That could make for a perfect fit. QB musical chairs (Insider)

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets 

Clayton is a jet-hating jerk

Glennon is the guy but watch him sign with Arizona or Denver. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Fitzpatrick to start at QB in Jets' season finale vs. Bills

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Embattled New York Jets coach Todd Bowles will start Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback for the final game of the season instead of rookie Christian Hackenberg -- a decision that is unlikely to help the coach's sinking popularity.

Bowles made the announcement Tuesday, ignoring public sentiment for Hackenberg, who has yet to play a regular-season snap. Hackenberg will be the No. 2 quarterback, but he won't play against the Bills unless Fitzpatrick is injured, according to Bowles. Later, the coach left open the possibility that Hackenberg could see mop-up duty in the fourth quarter.

Bowles was pressed into a decision because Bryce Petty tore the labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder last Saturday against the Cheaters. Petty, named to replace Fitzpatrick on Dec. 5, was supposed to start the final four games.

"If Fitz gets hurt, he'll go in and play," Bowles said of Hackenberg. "If Fitz doesn't, he won't play. But he's ready to play. He'll be ready to play.

"We're not going to gain or lose nothing by playing him or not."

Hackenberg was selected in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft. If he doesn't play Sunday, he will become the first quarterback since 2008 to be drafted in the first or second round and not play a single snap as a rookie. It also happened to Brian Brohm, a second-round pick of the Packers in 2008.

The Jets said this would be a "redshirt year" for Hackenberg, and Bowles said they don't want to deviate from their original plan.

The playoffs are out of the question for the Jets (4-11), leaving many to wonder why they aren't starting Hackenberg. This has been a tumultuous season for Fitzpatrick, who signed a $12 million contract in July and has been benched twice. He's 2-8 as the starter this season and has thrown 17 interceptions, tied for the second-most in the league.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18358615/ryan-fitzpatrick-start-qb-new-york-jets-season-finale-vs-bills

Just now, kelly said:

"If Fitz gets hurt, he'll go in and play," Bowles said of Hackenberg. "If Fitz doesn't, he won't play. But he's ready to play. He'll be ready to play.

"We're not going to gain or lose nothing by playing him or not."

You dumb moron addressing Todd Bowles you would gain a chance to evaluate him as an NFL QB far better than going into the off season not knowing anything about him. 

This clown isn't capable of washing dirty jocks in the NFL let alone being a head coach, 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

You dumb moron addressing Todd Bowles you would gain a chance to evaluate him as an NFL QB far better than going into the off season not knowing anything about him. 

This clown isn't capable of washing dirty jocks in the NFL let alone being a head coach, 

Not playing behind this OL with this offense on the field. No way can you evaluate.. Wouldn't be a fair evaluation at all, and he'd probably get hurt... Whoever plays QB is going to take a pounding in this game... I'd rather that not be Hack.

Now that we know what Cheaters want for Jimmy Garoppolo, would you trade for him?

In case any interested teams were wondering what the price tag for New England Cheaters quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo would be, now we have an idea.

On “Kirk and Callahan” on WEEI in Boston, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the starting point in negotiations would be a first- and fourth-round pick. That’s what the Minnesota Vikings gave up for Sam Bradford a few months ago.That price is fair, considering Bradford had proven to be mediocre – a trend that has unsurprisingly continued this year – and Garoppolo still has the mystery element to him. But would you give a first and fourth for Garoppolo?

Here’s what we know about Garoppolo. He has the pedigree of a late second-round pick. He has a sparkling 107.4 rating, but that comes over just 93 career passes. He has five touchdowns and no interceptions, and has generally looked good in his limited NFL action. He has played well within the Cheaters’ scheme, though there are moments you are reminded he’s very inexperienced (for more read these two Greg Cosell breakdowns here and here). ESPN has also said the Cheaters might not trade Garoppolo, but it’s just smart business for the team to put that message out there and protect his trade value. Maybe the Cheaters hold onto him, but let’s assume they’ll listen to all trade offers.

If you could just bottle up what Garoppolo has shown over 93 NFL passes and assume he’d keep doing that in a different environment for the next 10 years, you’d be thrilled to trade just a first and fourth for him. But we know that’s not guaranteed. Brock Osweiler had seven promising starts with the Denver Broncos last season, he was a former second-round pick and the Houston Texans gambled a big contract on him. That didn’t work out. Osweiler was benched for Tom Savage two games ago. No matter how good Garoppolo has looked in limited action, you’d be trading a lot for a player who will be making his third career start on opening day next season.

And unlike a potential Garoppolo trade, the Texans didn’t even have to give up any draft picks to get Osweiler. Garoppolo’s rookie contract is up after 2017, so a team would have to give up the picks in a trade and give him a mega-deal to him before he hits free agency – no team is sending a first- and fourth-round pick to New England for one year of Garoppolo. So a team has to understand it is investing valuable draft capital and perhaps an Osweiler-type contract (even if it doesn’t reach the $18 million a year Osweiler and Bradford got, it won’t be cheap), and is doing so on a quarterback who has 93 career passes. The risk is obvious.

So now that we know generally what the Cheaters will want when the trade window opens this offseason, teams in need of a quarterback have to ask themselves if Garoppolo’s small NFL sample size is worth a major commitment.

>      https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/now-that-we-know-what-Cheaters-want-for-jimmy-garoppolo-would-you-trade-for-him-162636351.html

Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't expect to return to Jets next season; Nick Mangold wants to come back

play

0:00
/
0:17

ss_20161228_180631356_696983_2.jpg0:12

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Dispelling retirement rumors, injured center Nick Mangold said Wednesday he wants to return to the New York Jets for a 12th season. The other half of their center-quarterback tandem, Ryan Fitzpatrick, doesn't expect to be back.

"I think there's probably an obvious reality of the way this year is going to come to a close for me," Fitzpatrick said.

Fitzpatrick will be a free agent because his contract automatically voids after the Super Bowl. Chances are, the Jets will look to add a veteran to their young quarterback room, but it almost certainly won't be Fitzpatrick, who bottomed out after a career year in 2015.

Fitzpatrick, 34, has been benched twice, but he's back in the lineup for the season finale against the Bills. He will replace Bryce Petty, who tore the labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder last week.

The Jets wanted to re-sign Fitzpatrick so badly last offseason that they held open his starting job during the five-month negotiation. They wound up signing him for $12 million, hoping he could build on last year and get the team into the playoffs for the first time since 2010.But they've regressed. Their record is 4-11, including a 2-8 mark by Fitzpatrick, who called it the toughest year of his career.

"Yeah, I would say this has been the most difficult, just in terms of the expectations I had for myself, for the team, for all of those things," said Fitzpatrick, who has 17 interceptions, the second-highest total of his career. "For me to not meet some of that stuff definitely has been difficult."

Mangold, on injured reserve with a severe foot/ankle injury that cost him the past seven games, said he will be re-evaluated in a couple of weeks. He acknowledged that surgery is a possibility, but said he doesn't think it'll keep him out of training camp.Mangold, a seven-time Pro Bowler who turns 33 next month, said he has had no thoughts of retiring.

"I love football. I miss it dearly," he said, speaking to reporters for the first time in more than a month. "I want to keep playing football, and I want to keep doing it here."The Jets might ask Mangold to take a pay cut. His cap charge in 2017, the final year of his contract, is $9.1 million. That includes $6.075 million in base pay, plus a $600,000 workout bonus.

Asked if he'd agree to a pay cut, Mangold said, "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

>       http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18366570/new-york-jets-quarterback-ryan-fitzpatrick-think-coming-back-team

• 3 weeks later...

His career record as a starter is 5-13 and he hasn't taken a meaningful snap in two years, but there's plenty of buzz surrounding Mike Glennon as free agency approaches.

Why ?

Because he's only 27 years old. Because he demonstrated potential in those 18 starts for the Bucs. Because a handful of teams, including the New York Jets, are desperate for a quarterback and will overpay: (See: Brock Osweiler, 2016.)The Jets figure to be one of Glennon's suitors because they need a starting-caliber player to augment the position as they continue to develop Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. There aren't many appealing options in the market.

General manager Mike Maccagnan was interested in Glennon in 2015, when the Jets were in the trade market and wound up dealing for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Now Glennon is an unrestricted free agent, and the word on the street is that he'll get a call from the Jets. The Bills, Browns, Bears and 49ers also will be in the quarterback market.Glennon didn't have a great supporting cast in his first two seasons (2013-2014), but he posted respectable numbers. That's why quarterback-needy teams are taking a hard look at him. His Total QBR over those two years was 57.6, which ranked 19th in the NFL. He displayed a big arm, but his accuracy was suspect and he struggled when pressured. He spent the last two years caddying for Jameis Winston.

But he's the most intriguing free agent because of his upside. Other veterans that could be on the Jets' radar :

Kirk Cousins, Redskins: The Jets would be interested if he shakes free, but that's unlikely. He'll probably sign a new deal or get tagged again.

Tyrod Taylor, Bills: They have until March 11 to decide whether to exercise Taylor's option for the 2018 through 2021 season. It'll cost them big bucks ($31 million guaranteed), so there's a good chance he'll hit the market. Taylor is limited as a passer, but he has dynamic mobility and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions.

AJ McCarron, Bengals: They'd have to trade for McCarron, who has one year left on his rookie deal. It sounds like he's ready to move on. He's a bigger mystery than Glennon because he has only four career starts, including a playoff game he should've won. It would be a risky trade.

Tony Romo, Cowboys: You'll read and hear a lot of Jets/Romo rumors over the next two months. Truth be told, he's the best quarterback on this list, but salary, age, concerns about his durability, and potential trade compensation make Romo-to-the-Jets a long shot. If Romo has a say, his preferred destination reportedly is the Broncos.

Josh McCown, Browns: Maccagnan has expressed past interest in McCown, the quintessential hold-the-fort player. Teams signn a guy like McCown, 37, if they are looking for a quarterback to pass the baton at some point during the season. He's under contract for 2017, but he could be set free in March, when a $750,000 roster bonus is due.

Brian Hoyer, Bears: At 32, he's the younger version of McCown, except with a broken left (non-throwing) arm. He's a free agent.

Jay Cutler, Bears: If the Bears can't trade him, they probably will release him. Cutler's greatest asset -- that cannon arm -- is now a question mark because of shoulder surgery. Even if he's healthy, he's turnover prone and lacks strong leadership qualities.

Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots: There's no way Bill Belichick will trade him to another AFC East team, especially the Jets. Garoppolo could surface in San Francisco, especially if offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels lands the 49ers' head-coaching job.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66392/bucs-backup-mike-glennon-emerges-on-jets-quarterback-radar

When ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. assesses the New York Jets' possible strategy with the sixth overall pick, he sees two dynamics in play:

He believes the organization should remain patient with second-year quarterback Christian Hackenberg. At the same time, Kiper thinks coach Todd Bowles will show signs of impatience because of the pressure he might feel to win.

When Kiper combines those two factors, he doesn't envision the Jets drafting a quarterback at No. 6.

"You have a coach who has to win," Kiper said Thursday on a conference call with reporters. "You already drafted Hackenberg in the second round. You could say, 'Well, he didn't show anything,' but who does when you don't play?

"So, all of a sudden, do you give up on a quarterback you drafted just because, as a rookie, he didn't play? I don't believe that."

Based on Kiper's first mock draftin.gif the Jets wouldn't have a shot at North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky because he's off the board at No. 2 to the 49ers. Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer would be available to the Jets. They have so many needs, but they also need a quarterback.

"I don't believe Trubisky will be there at six," Kiper said. "I think Watson certainly could. If he is, sure, it would be under consideration, but when you need to win, you have to get a player who can be a hole-filler. ... I think there will be too many players that fill holes that are impact players, hopefully as rookies, over a quarterback, especially when you drafted one in the second round this year."

He mentioned Ohio State cornerback Marshon Lattimore and Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams as solid choices for the Jets. In his mock, Kiper tabs Lattimore to the Jets.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66450/mel-kiper-says-its-too-soon-to-pull-the-plug-on-christian-hackenberg

Could quarterback-needy Jets take a flyer on Johnny Manziel?

The New York Jets are looking for a quarterback and there could be a new name on the market. You may have heard of him. Our question of the week:

@RichCimini: Mike, I understand why you asked the question. Johnny Manziel made news Friday, telling ESPN's Ed Werder in a text message that he's sober and wants to resume his football career. Good for Johnny; we should all hope he can get his life straightened out. But does that make him a good candidate to play quarterback for the Jets? I can answer that in five words:

No. No. No. No. No.

I'd be beyond stunned if the Jets showed any interest in Manziel. Signing Johnny Football would dwarf the Tim Tebow trade in terms of the most calamitous personnel moves in Jets history. Under Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan, the Jets have tried to remove the "circus" perception that dogged the franchise during the Rex Ryan years. Manziel would bring the Jets right back to that phase.

Full disclosure: A few years back, I wrote the Jets should consider drafting him, but that was before his life spiraled out of control. If the locker room had issues last season, imagine what it would be like with Manziel in it. They have two young, impressionable quarterbacks, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, and they need to be developed in a stable environment.

Imagine Manziel in the No. 1 media market. Oh, my. TMZ would hire a correspondent to cover the Jets' beat.

In his final season with the Browns, 2015, Manziel demonstrated a modest level of competence, completing 58 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. He has talent, but this isn't a talent issue. It's a life issue. He needs to get his together, and it takes time. One text message to a reporter doesn't mean he's equipped to return to the crucible of the NFL. He should play in the CFL or in the new spring league that is forming. Baby steps.

Yeah, the Jets are desperate for a quarterback. But not that desperate.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66487/could-quarterback-needy-jets-take-a-flyer-on-johnny-manziel

saw this..

~ ~ "There were reports that the New York Jets are all over North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky. When I told this to Jets sources, they rolled their eyes and shook their head. They said that general manager Mike Maccagnan has them work more in depth on early entry players later in the process and not during the fall, so it is way too early to say that for almost any non-senior. 

These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017." 

>   http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors2.php#6d3BXMSKtYR0FFgT.99

• 2 weeks later...

You know the deal : The New York Jets, who need a quarterback, are picking sixth in the college draft. Deshaun Watson, championship quarterback, is the biggest name in the draft. There's a good chance he'll be available for the Jets.

Would they ? Should they ?

"I wouldn't mind it," Watson said Thursday from Super Bowl LI in Houston, where he appeared on ESPN New York's "Hahn & Humpty" radio show. "I wouldn't mind coming to New York."The run-up to the draft will be fascinating because ... well, it's always fascinating with the Jets and quarterbacks. They have two developmental players, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, and that's it. Petty is recovering from surgery to his non-throwing shoulder and Hackenberg, who saw no action as a rookie, still is regarded as project. It would be a surprise if the Jets pick another quarterback, but, hey, you never now.

Watson is generally considered the second-best quarterback prospect, behind Mitch Trubisky, but there's a wide range of opinions on whether he can thrive in the NFL. His Clemson coach, Dabo Swinney, raises eyebrows last week at the Senior Bowl, where he told reporters that passing on Watson would be like passing on Michael Jordan."It was a big compliment," Watson said. "I know where he's coming from. He's one of those guys that kind of feels that all of his players will be successful. That's how he feels about me. I appreciate him. Hopefully, one day, I'll be up there with Michael Jordan."

Watson was eligible for the Senior Bowl because he graduated, but he skipped it because he wanted to focus on the scouting combine later this month. Browns coach Hue Jackson, who coached the Senior Bowl and whose team owns the first and 12th picks, expressed disappointment. Watson said he was in Southern California, training with quarterback guru Jordan Palmer.

Ring a bell ? Palmer, the younger brother of Carson Palmer, who trained Hackenberg last offseason.Watson's critics say his game won't translate to the NFL because his pocket-passing skills are shaky. He doesn't buy that."I've been improving each and every week, each and every year," he said. "I feel like I can do it at the next level."Asked about those who rate him below Trubisky, who started all of 13 games in college, Watson said, "My experience and my results kind of speak for itself."

You can't quibble with his resume.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66702/deshaun-watson-i-wouldnt-mind-coming-to-new-york

The Jets need a quarterback.

I'm curious how many times that lead has been written these last 20 years? Hundreds? Thousands of times?

Unfortunately for the general manager Mike Maccagnan, there's no sure-fire fix. The top two prospects in the NFL Draft (Clemson's Deshaun Watson, UNC's Mitch Trubisky) have as many questions as answers. Most free-agent options (Mike Glennon, Colin Kaepernick) are eh at best. The one guy on the trade block (Tony Romo) wants to compete for a Super Bowl -- That's not happening at One Jets Drive.

So maybe it's time for Maccagnan to think outside the box. Could the Eagles' Chase Daniel be the perfect guy? Maybe. 

From a talent perspective, Daniel is about average. He's accurate with an OK arm. He won't ever wow you, but doesn't make the back-breaking mistake to cost a game.

He has been in the NFL eight years, but attempted just 78 passes. He's a journeyman backup who wants a chance to start. He's tailor-made for new coordinator John Morton's (expected) offense.

Jets zeroing in on a QB coach?

Jets zeroing in on a QB coach?

He was most recently with the Bears.

Daniel played four years for the Saints and head coach Sean Payton. Morton spent the last two years coaching the Saints' receivers. The two never overlapped in New Orleans, but the connection shouldn't be overlooked.

Payton is one of Morton's biggest mentors. Morton is a first-year NFL offensive coordinator. He's expected to build a West Coast offense influenced by his past stops. Meaning the Jets new offense could have a Mardi Gras feel.Daniel isn't perfect, but he's familiar with that scheme. He even played three years for the Chiefs. Morton never coached in Kansas City, or with Chiefs coach Andy Reid, but Reid's offense is about as West Coast as they come. 

Another positive: It won't cost much to have Daniel on the roster.The Eagles signed Daniel to a three-year, $21 million contract last offseason. Two years remain with cap hits of $8 million in 2017 and 2018. Daniel will be the 25th highest-paid quarterback next year. If acquired, that's hardly a tough financial pill to swallow.

What's on the Jets' offseason wish list?

What's on the Jets' offseason wish list?

Here's what the Jets need to have happen this offseason.

Daniel would be an underpaid starting quarterback. If Christian Hackenberg, the Jets' second-round pick last year, were to beat him out for the starting job in 2018, Daniel could be kept as his backup, or cut with just a $1 million cap penalty. The marriage makes sense.

Of course, there's one little hangup: As much as Daniel wants to start, and Howie Roseman loves making trades, it's unlikely the Eagles part with him. They have no issue paying him his contract, and love how he's the veteran mentor for Carson Wentz. He holds value, even if he never takes a snap.If the Jets want Daniel, they're likely going to have to overpay for him. Is that worth it for a 30-year-old who's average at best? Maybe not.

But just how many better options are out there?

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/02/could_eagles_chase_daniel_solve_jets_never-ending.html#incart_river_index

Archived