Jack Straw

The History of Todd Bowles' Gaffes

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
6 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Our GM needs to hire his own coach. Defantely seems to be a disconnect between the coaching staff and front office on how the team should be run. 

What defense does one run when the GM furnishes you with 5 starting DTs and no ends or sizable OLBers, a MLB/ILB that runs slower than all the DTs, plus at CB an overpriced has-been, an over-priced never-was, and a cheap never-was?

I'm no great fan of Bowles in the head coaching role so far, but what would a GM-handpicked head coach do with that? 

On 10/14/2016 at 0:35 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

What defense does one run when the GM furnishes you with 5 starting DTs and no ends or sizable OLBers, a MLB/ILB that runs slower than all the DTs, plus at CB an overpriced has-been, an over-priced never-was, and a cheap never-was?

I'm no great fan of Bowles in the head coaching role so far, but what would a GM-handpicked head coach do with that? 

You run a 4-3 and blitz with safetys and hopefully those DTs will create a hole for the safety or CB to run through and breakdown the pocket. You can also all out blitz and send Darron Lee or someone along with it. But otherwise our slow LBers and Corners need to hold coverages for 3 seconds for our blitz to work.

8 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

You run a 4-3 and blitz with safetys and hopefully those DTs will create a hole for the safety or CB to run through and breakdown the pocket. You can also all out blitz and send Darron Lee or someone along with it. But otherwise our slow LBers and Corners need to hold coverages for 3 seconds for our blitz to work.

You can't just blitz every down & essentially make blitzing the base defense. 

These guys move well - very well -  for men their size at about 300 pounds each. But they don't well compared to 250 pound ends and don't (can't) chase down more mobile QBs. 

It's too many big men, made only worse by keeping David Harris on the field for every defensive snap.  Combine that with some sub car coverage in the secondary, and you get the mess we've been seeing for so much of this season. 

Then again, showing sympathy to your idea, it could hardly hurt rushing a safety every down. They're so often out of position or miscommunicating in the secondary anyhow. :bag: 

On 10/13/2016 at 6:57 PM, Jack Straw said:

I didn't include the countless number of times under Bowles that we've received the ball on a kickoff with 40+ seconds left before halftime with plenty of timeouts left and basically took a knee instead of trying to drive the ball down the field for a field goal. The ultra-conservative approach is going to get him run out of town.

Last week.Also after the punt/giving up and Steelers scoring, comes out with the Mad Bomber offense and then a blitzing defense when the game was over. Dude, you ALREADY GAVE UP. If someone from either team was seriously hurt on what amounts to meaningless tough guy BS, there would have been a lot of pissed off players and people. Bowles decided to end the game; be a consistent coward.  Lucky Mike Tomlin didn't smack the crap out of him for that nonsense. 

Bowles coaches like a coward afraid to loose. Reminds me of Herm Edwards and the playoff game with the steelers in early 2000s. If I recall the kicker missing 1st 50 plus field goal late in the game. NY jets offense gets ball back..hey lets run right up the middle three straight times and have the kicker try another 50 plus yard field goal. Next coach should have this interview question asked. Do you coach scared.

1 minute ago, xboxjets said:

Bowles coaches like a coward afraid to loose. Reminds me of Herm Edwards and the playoff game with the steelers in early 2000s. If I recall the kicker missing 1st 50 plus field goal late in the game. NY jets offense gets ball back..hey lets run right up the middle three straight times and have the kicker try another 50 plus yard field goal. Next coach should have this interview question asked. Do you coach scared.

2004 season, January 2005.  BIg Ben was a rookie.  THAT game was a knife in my eye. 

Bowles seems even worse than Herm if that's possible. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You can't just blitz every down & essentially make blitzing the base defense. 

Sure you can just ask Rex he's excellent at that.

But you could sub David Harris out with an extra DB on blitz packages. Even if it all sounds stupid something needs to be tried. The HCs job is to fit his scheme with the players he is given. Something needs to be done to try and salvage 2016. If we lose Monday night the season is over.          

10 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Sure you can just ask Rex he's excellent at that.

But you could sub David Harris out with an extra DB on blitz packages. Even if it all sounds stupid something needs to be tried. The HCs job is to fit his scheme with the players he is given. Something needs to be done to try and salvage 2016. If we lose Monday night the season is over.          

Perhaps I should have added the word "successfully" to my post. I thought it was implied. 

The thing is that sub out is more or less required on every down. 

Yes the HC's job is to fit his scheme to the players and not the other way around, and I right now have a pretty low opinion of Bowles as a HC, but this is not a well put together roster. It's a bunch of players that have (or used to have) talent, but they really don't go together. Not until/unless the opposition is in obvious running situations, for which we're nicely built.

Not to beat a dead horse but watching Atl @ Sea and seeing the second half adjustments made by Quinn and his staff and I'm almost stunned.

I guess just add this to the long list of should of, would of, could of.

Kenny O over Marino, Coslet over Holmgrem, Nagle instead of making the move to get Favre, K. Brady over Sapp.  There's just too many to count.  That needs to be its own offseason thread.

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Not to beat a dead horse but watching Atl @ Sea and seeing the second half adjustments made by Quinn and his staff and I'm almost stunned.

Kenny O over Marino, Coslet over Holmgrem, Nagle instead of making the move to get Favre, K. Brady over Sapp.  There's just too many to count.  That needs to be its own offseason thread.

No... would be too depressing....

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Holmgrem can't be blamed on the Jets. Steinberg wanted him but Holm wanted to stay in the West coast. Coslett was a terrible choice no doubt,  but it wasn't Coslett over Holmgren

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

Holmgrem can't be blamed on the Jets. Steinberg wanted him but Holm wanted to stay in the West coast. Coslett was a terrible choice no doubt,  but it wasn't Coslett over Holmgren

Also just because we get a great coach dosent equal success. Need a good GM and scouting team along with it.

14 hours ago, billo83 said:

You are about that.  But looking back on it, he chose to go to GB where they ended up with our HC, the QB we wanted, and our HOF DE in White.  

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, JetsFanatic said:

While I agree that Bowles has made some head scratchers, I think it's to early to give up on him.

Normally I would agree, but tell me, what has he done to give anyone hope here? I honestly have not seen one single glimmer of hope in that light. The real harsh truth is, Todd Bowltite does nothing well! What is/are his strengths? Defense? Joke. Motivation? Please. Game management? Personnel use? Offense? ST's?

Tell me, what do we hang our collective hopes on that this guy can take us where we so desperately want to go?

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Normally I would agree, but tell me, what has he done to give anyone hope here? I honestly have not seen one single glimmer of hope in that light. The real harsh truth is, Todd Bowltite does nothing well! What is/are his strengths? Defense? Joke. Motivation? Please. Game management? Personnel use? Offense? ST's?

Tell me, what do we hang our collective hopes on that this guy can take us where we so desperately want to go?

Don't forget how passionate he is on the sideline.

Seriously, seeing that same stupid look on his face bad play after bad play is pissing me off. How about he at least show some fire? It won't cover his ineptitude, but at least he could pretend to care. 

Mac and Bowles inherited one of the league's best rushing defenses and successfully managed to turn a strength into a weakness.  Nearly 200 yards rushing given up...smh.  

P.S. Darron Lee is trash.

Todd Bowles does not coordinate the offense or the defense.

He does not call plays. 

He is responsible for morale, depth chart, and coaching staff. 

He does decide the broad strokes on offense and defense. He could also take over play calling if he wanted to.

He does decide to take a knee with 30 seconds left in the half, and he always does.

He does decide when to speed up the offense and when to open up the passing game, and he always waits too long.

He does decide when to go for 2.

He does decide when to punt down by 2 scores with 4 min on the clock, and he always does.

44 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I will be updating this list to reflect Todd Bowles' decision to punt on 4th and 8 while down 9 with 4 minutes to go against the Bills. This guy is such a joke.

The worst kind of joke.  A stubborn imbecile that fails to learn from his mistakes.