Um, Lorenzo Mauldin Anyone??

TNJet

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mauldin was a quick outside rusher who looked good in spurts on obvious passing downs and made an impact. 

So, of course, the Jets staff asked him to get bigger and add weight so he could be a player on all three downs. Well, wouldn't you know that now that he's added the weight, he's not as speedy and he hasn't panned out playing on earlier downs against the run either. They took away the one thing that made him good and now he cannot seem to get on the field. It seems like just another mind boggling decision by the staff and front office. 

This!!!

I feel like it's Rex ll all over again:

*Playing Pryor and Richardson out of position.

* Asking a player to gain weight when he was doing just fine as a rookie situational player.

* Switching to a mostly 4-3 alignment when most/all of the players (including the one who just put the weight on) are better suited to a 3-4.

*Cutting the FB while at the same time being unable to run up the middle.

*Thinking that Sixpatrick give the team the best chance to win.            

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Mauldin is a 3/4 OLB. The 2016 NY Jets are a 4/3 team. Mauldin is out of position because the FO let go of Snacks. Maybe they had no chance to sign him either. Without a NT the Jets signed more DT's without addressing a speedy DE. Any coach would have a problem with this configuration of players.

Next time Macc goes after the BPA he should ensure that they fit the team scheme first.

If this is true then use Simons on the running downs in a 3-4....call him Harrison light or something but don't...I repeat, do not...throw out the baby with the bathwater and switch to a 4-3.  Bowels has lost all the respect he had earned as a rookie HC.  He's a man w/o a plan this year on both sides of the ball.  In over his head I suppose.  Rose to the level of his incompetence.    

57 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

If this is true then use Simons on the running downs in a 3-4....call him Harrison light or something but don't...I repeat, do not...throw out the baby with the bathwater and switch to a 4-3.  Bowels has lost all the respect he had earned as a rookie HC.  He's a man w/o a plan this year on both sides of the ball.  In over his head I suppose.  Rose to the level of his incompetence.    

Bowles is the HC. The team is configured by the GM. In this case it was Macc. Furthermore, this is not Madden where you can just throw players in spots and get productivity. Again Macc signed DT's who get paid more than Simon. The GM really put this team in a tough spot this season. 

No power running game. No real conversion from 3/4 to 4/3. Most of all a terrible, crippling signing of a back up QB to a huge contract. I see a lot of chatter about Bowles this and Bowles that. If people here really knew football they would see he is dealing with the hand he is dealt. The dealer is Macc.

clearly, Bowles has some faults too. Configuring the team is not one of them.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

disagree.  But we'll never know, will we? because Bowles and stubborn staff won't even try to develop young players it seems.  Hey... but they keep imitating Rex by playing Sheldon out of position...  

I hate this.  We've said this about every HC since Parcells.  Bowles played Mauldin a year ago.  15 games, 7 tackles.  He plays lots of young guys who deserve to get playing time.  All the time, can't think of who has been forced to the bench who should play.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I hate this.  We've said this about every HC since Parcells.  Bowles played Mauldin a year ago.  15 games, 7 tackles.  He plays lots of young guys who deserve to get playing time.  All the time, can't think of who has been forced to the bench who should play.

Kerley situation again Bowles plays his favorites regardless of the outcome Bowles is a self centered head coach is what I'm guessing either he likes you or he doesn't 

He was and is a one trick pony...speed rusher.  Had no other move then speed.  he gets blocked easily and is constantly taken out of plays when he is in...may just maybe that is why he is not playing as much. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Kerley situation again Bowles plays his favorites regardless of the outcome Bowles is a self centered head coach is what I'm guessing either he likes you or he doesn't 

Kerley was a vet.  Had nothing to do with not playing young players.  But thanks

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He wasn't a Bowles favorite it seems Bowles picks and chooses his pets regardless of whether or not it hurts or helps the team. Your welcome.

Seems as if youre still just making shlt up without a thought

14 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We need to stop wasting all our picks on D. Next yr first 4 rounds should be offense. Guard, tackle, rb, and TE

Although I wouldn't use the word **waste** I think this is a good philosophy get more young offensive talent.

Bowles is the HC. The team is configured by the GM. In this case it was Macc. Furthermore, this is not Madden where you can just throw players in spots and get productivity. Again Macc signed DT's who get paid more than Simon. The GM really put this team in a tough spot this season. 
No power running game. No real conversion from 3/4 to 4/3. Most of all a terrible, crippling signing of a back up QB to a huge contract. I see a lot of chatter about Bowles this and Bowles that. If people here really knew football they would see he is dealing with the hand he is dealt. The dealer is Macc.
clearly, Bowles has some faults too. Configuring the team is not one of them.

Mac has been mostly getting a pass from the fan base. But as if now he hasn't been very good.

Drafts. - year 1 - Williams was good, after that, what?

Year 2 - Lee looks like he'll be a solid starter, but hasn't flashed anything special.

Otherwise, some late round potential - but potential only.

Free agency - just awful signings across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bump. Because yesterday Mauldin was a huge reason our defense played so well. Sheldon belongs on the deline and Mauldin as the OLB. Bowles needs to keep Sheldon away from OLB he sucks at it, and keeps Mauldin from playing.

57 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Bump. Because yesterday Mauldin was a huge reason our defense played so well. Sheldon belongs on the deline and Mauldin as the OLB. Bowles needs to keep Sheldon away from OLB he sucks at it, and keeps Mauldin from playing.

Lets not start sucking each others salami just yet

Balt has allowed 11 sacks in last 3 games before the jet game so now 91 and 55 are ready for canton 

I don't think much has changed even the whole OLB vs DE argument is silly as he rarely leaving Los to cover Te as OLB and he might have had to do as DE just the same

On 10/15/2016 at 1:07 PM, joewilly12 said:

Mauldin went from a promising all over the field LB to a ghost it has to be the coaching cant figure this stuff out anymore this team drains you. 

Coaching has been horrendous. I mean from top down. From offense to defense to ST. The brutality of the situation is absolutely astounding. That does not include clock mismanagement, PA when a 2 point conversion was needed and on and on. We finally found some things that we agree about.

17 hours ago, TNJet said:

5 QB hurries too.  All this dude does is create pressure when he's in the game.  The coaching staff just wasnt playing him because they wanted to experiment with a DT at his position. 

Funny how when you finally decide to use them properly, they both have great games and the D looked the best it has all season.  Go figure. 

On 10/15/2016 at 0:46 PM, RoadFan said:

This team is such a mess from top to bottom.  Hard to tell what, if any, talent they have on the roster.  The only thing that matters is whether or not Petty can play.

The talent is definitely there. All the talent is not playing to their potential, and its either due to coaching, motivation, chemistry or a combination.

Secondary: Revis, Skrine, Pryor 

LB Corps: Lee, Harris, Mauldin

D-line: Wilk, Sheldon, Williams

WR: Marshall, (Decker is out for season), Enunwa

O-line: Mangold, Clady, Carpenter

RB: Forte

Regardless of age or where they are in their careers, these players are talented and would be starters on most teams with a need at that position. There's talent at almost every position on the Jets but guys are not playing up to their potential and are not being put in the best position to be successful. A HUGE part of this is coaching and a HUGE part of this is QB play- notice the ONE and most important position of QB is not mentioned here by me as having talent. Hack is a talented rookie, but he's not ready to play.    

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

The talent is definitely there. All the talent is not playing to their potential, and its either due to coaching, motivation, chemistry or a combination.

Secondary: Revis, Skrine, Pryor 

LB Corps: Lee, Harris, Mauldin

D-line: Wilk, Sheldon, Williams

WR: Marshall, (Decker is out for season), Enunwa

O-line: Mangold, Clady, Carpenter

RB: Forte

Regardless of age or where they are in their careers, these players are talented and would be starters on most teams with a need at that position. There's talent at almost every position on the Jets but guys are not playing up to their potential and are not being put in the best position to be successful. A HUGE part of this is coaching and a HUGE part of this is QB play- notice the ONE and most important position of QB is not mentioned here by me as having talent. Hack is a talented rookie, but he's not ready to play.    

Skrine is lousy. Pryor is awful and should be stocking shelves.  Harris has been a warrrior but his best days are behind him.

Not much reason to be optimistic about the O-line moving forward.

Hack? I cringed when they called his name. Not going there in this post...

I don't see as much talent as you seem to think there is.

But I do agree that Bowles has been brutal since week 17 last year.

In my opinion Bowles needs to stay with the 3-4 defense. Rotate Williams,  Mo,  Sheldon and McLendon to keep them fresh. Run a 4 man alignment on passing downs. It isn't a coincidence that the pressure from the front 7 has dropped after they started either playing Sheldon at OLB in the 3-4 or running a 4 man front. Part of Bowles making the change was due to injury but now that guys are back and healthy Bowles needs to go back to his roots. That being said, Bowles needs to be held accountable for letting Williams and Skrine get burned as much as they do and not make any personnel changes. Williams has the 2nd worst burn rate in the NFL at 64%. Thats awful. Yet he's out there every week. It's beyond unacceptable at this point.

23 hours ago, TNJet said:

His whole injury plagued unproductive career as a jet lol

You are clearly mistaken him with someone else. I think he was our leading receiver one season. He never really had any major injury issues, I wouldn't say he was a wimp either the guy was kinda on the smaller side and he never was scared to catch the ball in coverage. when we had decent receivers he was not very productive but he was atleast reliable he made short catches for us on third down pretty often, the kind of catches that matter.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

5 QB hurries too.  All this dude does is create pressure when he's in the game.  The coaching staff just wasnt playing him because they wanted to experiment with a DT at his position. 

Funny how when you finally decide to use them properly, they both have great games and the D looked the best it has all season.  Go figure. 

Exactly JiF. And go Vols...

16 hours ago, TNJet said:

Exactly JiF. And go Vols...

haha - you finally got us.  Only took you a dozen years. ;-)  I still cant believe our D fell apart like that in the 2nd half.  They've been lights out literally every quarter of every game, except that half.  Kudos to the Vols.  Even as much as I hate that team and that terrible ******* song, it was kind of cool watching the stadium erupt like you guys just won the Super Bowl.  I've never seen a team do a victory lap/celebration like that for a regular season game in my life. 

Should be interesting to see how the season finishes in the East.  What wont be interesting is the SEC Championship game. 

17 hours ago, choon328 said:

In my opinion Bowles needs to stay with the 3-4 defense. Rotate Williams,  Mo,  Sheldon and McLendon to keep them fresh. Run a 4 man alignment on passing downs. It isn't a coincidence that the pressure from the front 7 has dropped after they started either playing Sheldon at OLB in the 3-4 or running a 4 man front. Part of Bowles making the change was due to injury but now that guys are back and healthy Bowles needs to go back to his roots. That being said, Bowles needs to be held accountable for letting Williams and Skrine get burned as much as they do and not make any personnel changes. Williams has the 2nd worst burn rate in the NFL at 64%. Thats awful. Yet he's out there every week. It's beyond unacceptable at this point.

Totally agree.    Rotate the defensive players.   Keep them fresh.  Have a 4th quarter pass rush.  Play people in their natural positions

Mauldin packing on pounds has hurt him. Personally I believe leaner and meaner for LBs is better. He has shown traces of dominance but few and far between. Slim him down and give him some more playing time. Not giving up on him yet.

I don't think Mac did a bad job other than the Hack pick in the 2nd round. He may pan out in the long run. He's a project and the game plan seemed to be Fitz and Geno. Didn't work out so well as we can see. Defense LB's needed to get faster. Mac Incorporated what looked to be an good infusion. They need to stick with the 34 Defense. Can't put players out of position to to put them on the field. Cant put Richardson as LB. Keep him on the line. Rotate the big guys because they get gassed by the end of the game due to the offense not having extended drives. I think FO, CS thought the secondary was going to be OK with what they had. Aside from the int last week Gilchrest has been invisible. Pryor is a burn machine. Williams is burnt toast every week. Skrine needs to stay inside. The coverages get blown up every week. Looks like they are not on the same page which blows me away. Bowles was a DB. WTF. Revis is now an invaded island. Very good but not the greatness we're accustomed to. They made the move with Forte which was not a bad pick but he will not bust it up the middle especially when he runs into a wall of our own O-Line. No major push from the line on the run game. So run off tackle and run some traps. Duh. Besides Powell has more explosive power. Get him out there on goal line runs. Can't fathom why Powell doesn't come in on short yardage plays. Mac made some good receiver picks. I really like Anderson and Peake. They just need more time and experience to develop. Decker going down is a big hurt for the offense. Just my 2 cents. 

Archived