Dennis Byrd dies in tragic car crash...

Mogglez

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dennis Byrd

By Glenn Naughton

When New York Jets defensive end Dennis Byrd collided with teammate and fellow defensive lineman Scott Merserau as the two stepped up to sack Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Dave Krieg, the end result was horrific.

The crown of Byrd’s helmet slammed violently into Mersereau’s chest, fracturing a vertebrae in his neck, sending him tumbling motionless to the ground.  Paralyzing him from the waist down for what some believed would be forever.

It was the type of collision that should have been the last of its kind in any mans life.  Sadly for Byrd, it was not.

It is now being reported that Byrd, who celebrated his 50th birthday just a few weeks ago, was tragically killed when the 17-year old driver of an oncoming vehicle swerved into Byrd’s lane.  Officials pronounced Byrd dead at the scene.

A former 2nd round pick out of Tulsa, Byrd took the league by storm, racking up 27 sacks in his first three seasons as a pro, before suffering his horrific career-ending injury in the middle of season number four.

At the team’s 1993 home opener, Byrd inspired millions around the world, walking back on to the very same field on which he was injured, to the cheering and adulation not only of those in the building, but of anyone watching from home.  He was the portrait of hard work, faith and determination.

Rest in Peace, Dennis.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4gMEJf-4qsM

Click here to read the full story...

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

That sucks. A good man gone way too soon. Byrd was a man of deep faith. But when a guy so young with so much life left to live is taken, tell you, it causes doubt. Thing like this makes you wonder if there is some higher power, simply we're an accident of evolution.

May his passenger recover completely and his family find some solace. RIP. 

It has the exact opposite effect for me. Certainly it makes no sense but it feels like he was called home.

I only own a few Jerseys but Byrd is one of 'em.  I wore it to an ICE event last season and a Jets employee tapped me on the shoulder and said "you don't see a lot of those.  I was on the cart with him that took him to the ambulance.  Great guy".

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It has the exact opposite effect for me. Certainly it makes no sense but it feels like he was called home.

9/11 and a few other things since have shaken me. Seeing young people die senselessly...don't see anything resembling a plan. My mom still has the same outlook you do about being called home, even used that exact phrase tonight about a passed relative. But I dunno or not as sure as I once was. Not saying I don't believe, but faith needs a doubt. 

In January 2011, Byrd sent then-Jets coach Rex Ryan a letter and the tattered jersey he had been wearing on the day of his injury before the Jets faced the Patriots in the AFC playoffs. The gesture moved Ryan so much that he invited Byrd to speak to the team the night before the game. The Jets players then carried Byrd’s jersey onto the field with them before a 28-21 upset of the Patriots.

This game and the monday night football comeback against the dolphins are my 2 most enjoyable games as a jets fan.

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

9/11 and a few other things since have shaken me. Seeing young people die senselessly...don't see anything resembling a plan. My mom still has the same outlook you do about being called home, even used that exact phrase tonight about a passed relative. But I dunno or not as sure as I once was. Not saying I don't believe, but faith needs a doubt. 

Doubt makes faith stronger. Doubt isn't bad because questioning everything is good in my opinion. We have spent two of the last three years here dealing with cancer on a daily basis and it has definitely tested, and eventually strengthened my faith. I admired Dennis so much for his faith. I know it carried him through the toughest times. I hope that carries over to his family, because they definitely need it right now.

It does seem so random though. He didn't die from complications or a setback related to his injury. He had someone hit him head on. A bunch of things have to go wrong at the same time for that to happen. When I think about the randomness of life, I begin to wonder if it really isn't that random after all. Definitely a topic for another day, but I know Dennis is at peace. And I think him for years upon years of inspiration.

And there is more. ABC NEWS indicated that Byrd's vehicle had a 13 year old on board who is in critical condition.

It has to be one if his four kids.

Let's all take a moment to pray for the child's recovery...

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Just now, BaumerJet said:

And there is more. ABC NEWS indicated that Byrd's vehicle had a 13 year old on board who is in critical condition.

Saw that there was  a kid in the car and figured it had to be one of his sons.

Unreal.

Had the pleasure of meeting Dennis with my sons at training camp in 91. Friend was an equipment man with the Jets back then and we were invited in the locker room. Dennis had my youngest on his lap talking football with him he signed autographs for them and when they thanked him his response was "No I thank you". Byrd was a class act in every regard. Deepest regrets to his family RIP

5 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

I hate to speculate but I believe their youngest son is that age. PRAYERS!!!

This is an amazing family. Please God, help them.

What does one even write when hearing something this horrible? 

I wish it was just sadness I was feeling, and not the anger over the juvenile carelessness that robbed this earth of an impossibly nice and inspirational man; who overcame such odds it would sound made up if we didn't know better.

The injury was one of those singular events one never forgets about. Then amazingly, a horrible tragedy turned into a triumph. And now his future has been robbed from him all over again. And a great memory robbed from all of us.

For some time, Dennis Byrd was a name that always made us sad. Then seeing him walk filled us with such joy, as though it was a close loved one taking those steps. All the initial sadness was erased, and hearing or reading the name then always made us smile and filled us with warmth. And now his name will probably always make us sad all over again and probably will forever. Such a terrible waste.

RIP, Dennis. You earned better than this.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

In January 2011, Byrd sent then-Jets coach Rex Ryan a letter and the tattered jersey he had been wearing on the day of his injury before the Jets faced the Patriots in the AFC playoffs. The gesture moved Ryan so much that he invited Byrd to speak to the team the night before the game. The Jets players then carried Byrd’s jersey onto the field with them before a 28-21 upset of the Patriots.

db_zpsn0nut39x.jpg

During the 2010 season, Byrd sent then-Jets coach Rex Ryan the No. 90 jersey that had been torn from his torso on the field after the collision as an inspirational gift.

As a guest of the team, Byrd delivered a moving speech to the Jets at their hotel the night before a 28-21 playoff victory over the New England Patriots — during which the Jets had hung Byrd's jersey in their locker room.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson and safety James Ihedigbo also carried out a green and white No. 90 jersey to midfield for the coin toss before the game. Many Jets players credited Byrd's speech for helping motivate them to the victory.

"Hearing about his story for the first time really makes you understand how fortunate we are and how fragile your career is," then-quarterback Mark Sanchez said at the time. "These moments you have on the plane, hanging around in the locker room, having fun with guys, going to eat, playing on the field, it's pretty special. It can end at any moment. That was just a good reminder for us of how fortunate we are."

SAR I

Was sitting up in section 238 of the old stadium with my dad the day of the injury, I was 14 years old. I can still remember how eerie it was all the way up there as Dennis lie on the turf. We left the game and listened to the post game show which is where we heard about how Dennis was taken to the hospital.  Dad wanted to grab a steak on the way home so we stopped into Old Homestead.   As we are talking about the game I see a bunch of huge guys walk in and get sat at the table directly next to us.  It was Boomer Esiason and a bunch of other jets who had just left the hospital where they had visited Byrd.  I was eavesdropping and they were all shook up but esiason was in particular.  It was really cool to be seated next to them but even at a young age I knew it would be disrespectful to approach them and ask for an autograph at such a sad time.  Always stuck with me how truly shook up they were and the sadness that permeated that table.

Archived