The long/intermediate-term vision of this team?

ZachEY

On 10/18/2016 at 9:16 AM, gEYno said:

What exactly are we building?

The hope, in a bad year, is that you have young guys who show promise.  We've got very little of that.  The guys you've gotta like are Enunwa and Williams.  Lee has been alright too and maybe Jenkins will stick.

Beyond that, what's the vision for this team?

The coach does not seem to game plan at all, just line the guys up and hope for the best.

Our strength (on paper) is a mess, with Richardson being forced to play linebacker and Wilkerson seemingly taking the money and loafing and no one gets to the QB.

We have nothing in the secondary besides an overpaid Revis, who's career is over and who will be long gone before we can fix it and a one-dimensional safety who's not dominant in his one-dimension.  Skrine is garbage and no young talent here either.

There's promise at LB, perhaps the only position where you think that they really might have something to build on.  But again, no one who gets to the QB.

The offensive line is a disaster, with with no discernible young talent developing.  Mangold may still be around, but he's on the decline, and we need a LT and a RT at a minimum.

Bilal Powell remains our best option on the ground, and while you like him as a player, Bilal Powell should not be your best option on the ground.  Forte is a nice piece, but a shell of what he was and long gone before anything else is fixed.

At WR, we have Enunwa (Thanks, Idzik), which is the only real reason to be hopeful.  Devin Smith is Mac's Dee Milliner, and is unlikely to ever be a contributor.  Maybe one of the young guys can turn into something, but odds are long against.  But, Marshall and Decker will be long gone before we fix all the holes needed to be competitive.

And of course, we have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, neither of whom will be on the team next year, and rightfully so.  Then we have a project and an even bigger project at the QB position, neither of whom have given us any reason to think they can start in this league just yet.

So, outside of complaining... My question is, what is the plan?  How does this somehow become a competitive team, and when?

Once again it looks like we're in "we need to get worse before we have a chance to get better" position.  But in terms of young guys who show promise, you did leave out Lac Edwards!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

No. I didn't even get the scouting portfolio this year but his Lewin numbers were not in that ballpark. I would have been on the phone all night after the second day to get him at the top of the fourth though. Which sounds convenient obviously but that's exactly what the basic parameters would have dictated. But then I'd already have shipped Hill to move up from Coples to take Russell Wilson. Waldman is a proxy for 'scouting,' broken down in a quantifiavle verifiable way. I'm all about process.

Nate Silver for GM?

The GM needs to be confident that the owner wants a great team with a great qb.  If he uses first and second picks for reached qbs and misses, that makes the team less competitive.  If they just want to be competitive and fill seats, they are better off by drafting dl and safeties and getting 9 wins.   

Sound familiar?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What are you talking about? Go read my posts from before you started trying to find some hole in it. The "subject" is unchanged.

I cant help it if you misinterpret things, and thought I was taking about 2016 when I said trade Mo immediately after drafting Leonard Williams in 2015. As in the year someone would have been willing to cough up a 1 for Mo; just not the pair of 1s he publicly sought.

We had Mo, Sheldon, Coples, and then drafts Williams. Who keeps all 4 instead of trading - and getting something in return - for at least one?

I commented on one point - Mac should get credit for drafting Williams - he was just lucky. I got dragged down the rat hole about not trading Mo last year, I am not getting dragged any further. I think Mac should get credit for going BPA. That's it.

You answered with trading Mo. My point was on drafting Williams. Drafting a guy you don't need because he is BPA is what makes going BPA hard. I gave him credit for pulling the trigger and not reaching on another player. Someone else can follow you down the rabbit hole on not trading Mo 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I commented on one point - Mac should get credit for drafting Williams - he was just lucky. I got dragged down the rat hole about not trading Mo last year, I am not getting dragged any further. I think Mac should get credit for going BPA. That's it.

You answered with trading Mo. My point was on drafting Williams. Drafting a guy you don't need because he is BPA is what makes going BPA hard. I gave him credit for pulling the trigger and not reaching on another player. Someone else can follow you down the rabbit hole on not trading Mo 2 years ago.

No, this isn't what happened. You responded to a post in which I discussed Williams just falling to him, and how - if he then took this safe route in the draft - he should have then traded Mo once it happened (while Mo's value was higher because he had a cheap option-year left on his rookie contract).

Decisions such as drafting BPA don't exist in a vacuum. If one drafts by BPA then this benefit is mostly removed if he then keeps and extends all the redundant players, lessening the "BPA" player's value. 

So again, he gets a ton of credit for doing very little. There were only 2-3 players he could have possibly taken there. One of them - White - was just unrealistic immediately after trading a pick for Marshall with 3 years left himself. So it was really down to 1 of 2 players, and it's not even obvious he made the right decision no matter how good Williams is. All he did was draft a really good, ultra-low risk player but then didn't finish the job of making that player more valuable by parlaying the existing redundant players into picks to use on talent elsewhere. The indirect result of that is Bowles playing Sheldon Richardson as a meh to below average LB instead of as a terror of a 3-4 end. Whatever good play we get from Williams we then have to subtract the bad play from Sheldon being so badly out of position so often.

This is a team, so these players - and Maccagnan's decisions to keep all of them - exist together, not as separate entities. 

20 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

I was 10 when the Jets won their last SB.

I am going to bet they win another one by the time I collect Social Security.

I was 8 - we're never going to relive that feeling and the sooner we accept it, the better our lives will be.

Archived