People Are Being Unfair To Geno

PCP63

I should preface this post by saying that I absolutely hate Geno, and have never made excuses for him or been a fan of him (I want Hack). 

But wow, he's getting way too much crap today. People calling him a crybaby and stuff. C'mon, let's stop acting like we're all mentally superior to him.

Would not you be pissed off if a QB literally threw like 9 4th-quarter INTs in just a few games, and the coach still wouldn't even THINK of giving you a chance? From his perspective, he probably felt like no matter what, he'd NEVER get a chance. I'd be pissed too.

Not only did Geno outplay Fitz before his injury last season, but he actually didn't play too bad last night. People will say things like it was garbage time, and they were playing prevent. First off, the game was still within reach, even if very unlikely to comeback. The Cardinals were still playing fast, and with tight coverage. The team clearly wants Geno, as you could IMMEDIATELY see the team playing with MUCH more fire. His passes were all on-point, even the interception.

On 4th and 11 (?), under pressure, he had to make that throw. And it was pretty much right on the money. The CB just made a good play, and Peake simply should have fought harder to catch it. 

I still want Hack to start, but Geno actually changed my perspective last night. He very well may have improved his game.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo s***t he improved his game. Geno had been working hard all of last year and this offseason to get a chance to play. He worked on his weaknesses, he said all the right things, etc. I would be FURIOUS if I was watching my team lose game after game and the starting QB flounder in the second half EVERY game. ZERO TDs, 9 INTs I think was the stat for Fitz in the third quarter? Yet Geno, the backup, the guy who actually BEAT Fitz for the starting spot until he was injured, still gets no shot to play. Its completely unfair and I think the coaching staff got embarrassed and felt like they had to put him in b/c they KNOW he is right and they looked bad after he reacted the way he did. 

33 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I should preface this post by saying that I absolutely hate Geno, and have never made excuses for him or been a fan of him (I want Hack). 

But wow, he's getting way too much crap today. People calling him a crybaby and stuff. C'mon, let's stop acting like we're all mentally superior to him.

Would not you be pissed off if a QB literally threw like 9 4th-quarter INTs in just a few games, and the coach still wouldn't even THINK of giving you a chance? From his perspective, he probably felt like no matter what, he'd NEVER get a chance. I'd be pissed too.

Not only did Geno outplay Fitz before his injury last season, but he actually didn't play too bad last night. People will say things like it was garbage time, and they were playing prevent. First off, the game was still within reach, even if very unlikely to comeback. The Cardinals were still playing fast, and with tight coverage. The team clearly wants Geno, as you could IMMEDIATELY see the team playing with MUCH more fire. His passes were all on-point, even the interception.

On 4th and 11 (?), under pressure, he had to make that throw. And it was pretty much right on the money. The CB just made a good play, and Peake simply should have fought harder to catch it. 

I still want Hack to start, but Geno actually changed my perspective last night. He very well may have improved his game.

In essence, I do agree with you...Geno is getting far more crap than he deserves today. His behavior on the sidelines was immature though...and I think he should've conducted himself differently. 4th and 11? Wasn't his fault, Peake needed to run a better route. 4th &1? Was his fault. He had Enunwa open over the middle for a 1st down but Geno never saw him because he was locked onto Peake from the snap. 

Why do both Jet QBs stare down receivers???? What happened to reading the defense?

50 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

If all you can do is post OLD footage, you have no leg to stand on. Anyone denying that he looks much improved is not being honest with themselves.

If you want us to refer to recent footage, we'll need to you explain the difference between last night's strip sack and interception, and all the others he's committed in the past. Without making up bullsh*t excuses to blame other people, aspects of the game, or the tides.

Unfair?  All I needed to see last night was Geno's "form" on the INT.  Once again, threw it to the sideline off his back foot without checking for the safety.  Add running backwards and trying to throw as he's being sacked and that's Geno's skill set .Maybe Geno can open a hoagie shop in Saskatoon. 

Just now, munchmemory said:

Unfair?  All I needed to see last night was Geno's "form" on the INT.  Once again, threw it to the sideline off his back foot without checking for the safety.  Add running backwards and trying to throw as he's being sacked and that's Geno.Maybe Geno can open a hoagie shop in Saskatoon. 

4th and long down by 25 points all WR's covered he had no choice but to force the ball to someone. 

COME ON MAN 

Geno played 1 possession, strip sack, int, but it's not his fault because he came in when game over, passes completed short easy passes! Petty has a better arm throwing left handed, & geno pacing sidelines like he's a star qb! Petty blew him away preseason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If you want us to refer to recent footage, we'll need to you explain the difference between last night's strip sack and interception, and all the others he's committed in the past. Without making up bullsh*t excuses to blame other people, aspects of the game, or the tides.

Well,when you start off with coming into a game that's over, 8 minutes left, no chance and a,defense teeing off on a bad OL bullshlt it's fair.

Every person on he post game shows said throw t pick out, means nothing given the circumstance, not bs

I do believe we need to make a change at QB but the problem is that Geno's contract is up at the end of the season.  Lets just say he plays well enough that the Jets want him to return next year.  What would they have to pay him for that?  If he plays well then other teams in need of a QB, especially a young qb, will want him too.  A bidding war for Geno?  I can't imagine that. Geno may just be average and then we let him go which means we wasted games on him instead of seeing what Petty can do.   Petty is the guy we NEED to see if he can become a reliable QB and then of course Hack needs to get some more practice time.   

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Totally agree. 

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

This got lost in the translation last night. The offense showed a boost when Geno came in and it wasn't against a prevent D. With Fitz, we were COMPLETELY flat. "No question about it". 

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

People act like he turned it over. He HAD to force the throw. If he doesn't, its turnover on downs anyways. He was in a no mans land. And yeah, Peake was soft, but again, this whole situation goes back to Fitz laying an egg.

I hate geno as a qb he's bad. But don't you fans realize jets decided he sucks. He ran 1st team offense off-season. Don't u think if he could play jets would let Fitz go & play geno! If petty didn't get hurt, he'd be gone already! Maybe he can job with canton bulldogs as a backup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

4th down losing by 25 nowhere to throw the damn ball you have no choice but to take a chance all WR's covered unlike the INTs Fitzpatrick is throwing. 

Yeah, but 31 tds and such, no? why can't Fitz just live off of that reputation? Why do you have to state the obvious? Isn't this fantasy world?

Just now, j4jets said:

Yeah, but 31 tds and such, no? why can't Fitz just live off of that reputation? Why do you have to state the obvious? Isn't this fantasy world?

31 TD's against a very weak schedule cant you see the obvious he choked in the games that mattered the most never a fan of Ryan Fitzpatrick 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

31 TD's against a very weak schedule cant you see the obvious he choked in the games that mattered the most never a fan of Ryan Fitzpatrick 

Yeah but he's from Harvard and got a 49 on the wonderlic. 

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Not unfair at all. Geno was acting unprofessional AF on the sideline and looked terrible when he came in. His first few throws were fine but the second the defense put a little pressure on him it was right back to the old unaware QB with awful throws. 

The Jets were down by 25 points the game was over. 

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

"The game was still within reach" You lost me there. The game I was watching was NOT within reach at the time that Geno came in.

15 minutes ago, j4jets said:

What happened, Fitz dumped on you too? 

I don't cry like a baby over the Fitz thing, he has been pure awful and deserves everything he gets.  He has stunk.  Geno after two full years plus the Oakland game plus this camp, plus this past game is exactly the same player ability wise and character wise as always.  He sucks, should not be on the team next year and is only standing in the way of other Qb's we do not know about yet.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well,when you start off with coming into a game that's over, 8 minutes left, no chance and a,defense teeing off on a bad OL bullshlt it's fair.

Every person on he post game shows said throw t pick out, means nothing given the circumstance, not bs

Nah, I'm not into the double-standard. If people here can't acknowledge Fitz's interceptions when they happen in the context of playing catchup after the defense lays down all game, then there's no reason to excuse INTs from Geno in the same context. I also don't subscribe to the "he needs a week of prep" nonsense. He's been lobbying to take the job publicly, showing up the org on social media. So, if he's going to do that, then he damn-well better be ready as ready gets when the opportunity arises. 

No, what we saw in his brief action yesterday is a microcosm of Geno. I still prefer the idea of him starting next week, as a bridge to Petty for the back half of the season, but I'm not down with the delusional folks here that want to make excuses for him. He's a bad ******* QB... let him play a couple games, hope he does okay, and then trade him before the season ends so we get something for him. Don't resign him. He's never going to be the guy. 

There is no defending Geno Smith.  If given the chance, he has proven time and time again that he is hot garbage, and last night was no different.  His still an immature player with no football IQ whatsoever.  He shouldn't sniff another snap as a starter for the Jets.  If Petty is still hurt and Hackenberg is such a disaster that the Jets wouldn't trust him to put air into a football let alone start a game, then I would rather crash and burn with Fitz rather than give Geno Smith one more minute of playing time.  If they had any Balls, the jets would release Geno tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't cry like a baby over the Fitz thing, he has been pure awful and deserves everything he gets.  He has stunk.  Geno after two full years plus the Oakland game plus this camp, plus this past game is exactly the same player ability wise and character wise as always.  He sucks, should not be on the team next year and is only standing in the way of other Qb's we do not know about yet.

lol, nobody has, that's what makes it hilarious when snippy comments like that are made... when this is all said and done, there will be one reality: we're all going to be right/wrong (Fitz sucks, Geno sucks). 

the victory lap because Fitz got benched finally is retarded, when you consider that now all of the hypothetical arguments for Geno will get exposed and made to look foolish... though, I fully expect a groundswell of illogical, irrational and mind-numbing excuse making.

Archived